CapitalTigers

Zumaya and Guillen Injury Update

Yes, I'm continuing an argument with Yooper (really the entire board is ripping my idea apart right now)... Yes, I know it is impossible to win

:happy:

Right now you have Scott Sizemore and Will Rhymes just waiting for Guillen to be "healthy" again...

There is no indication whatsoever that this time around wil be any different than any other Carlos Guillen injury...

It is a constant cycle...

15 day DL

Recovery

"Healthy"

Small injury

Lingering Injury

15 day DL

Recovery (longer this time)

"Healthy"

Small injury

Lingering injury

and so on....

He has played only 52% of the time in the last 3 years + 2011. Take out 2008 and he has only played in 45%.

as comparison...

Peralta: 93%

Inge: 86%

Cabrera: 97%

Come on!

Whoever is our 2nd baseman of the future (Sizemore or Rhymes, they need to decide) - needs to have security in their play and know that they are not just a person that stands between 1st and 2nd base while another person who is considered better gets healthy.

um

"Violent Torpedo of Truth"

sheenbobblesm.gif

winning is never impossible

I'd have to check the rules, but I don't think you are allowed to release a player on the DL. There's really no point in it anyways... can't get out from under the contract and if he's taking up a roster spot and is out for the year, you can 60-day him and collect some insurance on the contract.

I am really not in the mood to have discussions about Dontrelle Willis' ~*~imaginary anxiety~*~ and I'm probably going to come off as really ******, but here goes.

The Tigers fiddling with his delivery could have absolutely NOTHING to do with it! Or their fiddling could have actually exacerbated it! Just because they tried tweaking his delivery doesn't mean he couldn't possibly have anxiety! They are not mutually exclusive!

I don't know how this works but teams probably can't force a player to take meds or seek help without the player's consent, either. I also doubt they can threaten to void his contract to force him to take meds or see psychiatrists. But what would I know.

Hey! It is entirely possible your conspiracy theory is right! But it probably isn't.

I'll admit I'm nieve on the anxiety disorder subject, but I really just don't understand why if he is going 22-10 with that delivery, he starts pitching bad because of anxiety, and you change the delivery.

I think we will just have to agree to disagree, because I see where you are coming from, but I'm just not buying it.

Plus I don't want to keep talking about a guy who we should be glad not to talk about. :knocked:

I think we will just have to agree to disagree, because I see where you are coming from, but I'm just not buying it.

Probably for the best as I'm about to do this:

like-talking-to-a-brick-wall-150x150.jpg

Wow, not good. Last I heard he was getting additional testing done to see if there was nerve damage. Must not have liked the test results? I wouldn't be surprised if he retires, poor kid.

Well, maybe. But it doesn't necessarily mean anything. At worst, he's able to come off the DL on May 29th. Could even be earlier if they made the move retroactive at the time they put him on the 15 day DL. If they have a short term need for a roster spot, it's a logical move, as he wasn't going to be ready much before the end of May under the best of scenarios (even if he was starting to throw right now).

And I'm not sure why he'd retire. Some team will give him a chance on a minor league deal this winter, even if he misses the entire season. He can probably kick around organizations as a oft-injured RP on minor league deals for the next 10 years if he wanted to. And if he can get healthy, he's bound to make almost any team.

I asked Jason Beck on Twitter if it was to make room for Perry but I didn't get a reply. I'm guessing that could be why?

wait a minute... does beck know who you are....

Wow, not good. Last I heard he was getting additional testing done to see if there was nerve damage. Must not have liked the test results? I wouldn't be surprised if he retires, poor kid.

It's every bit as likely that they're just doing it to empty a roster spot. I think they've known for a while it'll be at least 60 days. It could point to worse news but I wouldn't read that deep into it yet.

wait a minute... does beck know who you are....

He's responded to some of my tweets, but he probably wouldn't be able to pick me out of a lineup. :P

can someone be moved off the 60-day list if they are better in 30?

He has to be out 60 days, but they can backdate it to when he last played in a game, I don't know if in this case it means the first day of the regular season or the last spring training game he appeared in

I asked Jason Beck on Twitter if it was to make room for Perry but I didn't get a reply. I'm guessing that could be why?

They don't need to make room on the 40-man for Perry, as he is already on it. It may be significant however that they've opened up a spot, which is the only real consequence of the move.

He has to be out 60 days, but they can backdate it to when he last played in a game, I don't know if in this case it means the first day of the regular season or the last spring training game he appeared in

thanks

Since one hears so little.. hard to know what is up.. Like is Zumaya running and in pretty good shape.. or once he starts throwing is it going to be like the first day of spring training..

I feel bad for Zoom that he just can't stay healthy. Guy looked great last year until he got hurt and was great 06 but everything between and after just looks like he will never recapture that magic.

Every time Zumaya got hurt, I would think he would never make it back and if he did he would never have that fastbell ever again. He's proven me wrong 2 or 3 times, so I wouldn't bet against him coming back again. Let's make a list of the injuries;

Box fell on him when moving his parents away from a wild fire.

Dislocated a finger warming up.

Broke his arm throwing a pitch.

Which ones am I missing?

I feel bad for Zoom, but it's time to stop kidding ourselves and just (re)act as if he'll never pitch again. MLB is littered with injury-prone guys. It's not his fault, and I'm sad to see him go, but he's got to GO.

I feel bad for Zoom, but it's time to stop kidding ourselves and just (re)act as if he'll never pitch again. MLB is littered with injury-prone guys. It's not his fault, and I'm sad to see him go, but he's got to GO.

The problem right now is that the time off is not serving any purpose if they don't know why throwing is irritating the elbow. The nerve damage line doesn't make much sense. If there was nerve damage how did he do all the rehab and get to where he was at 100mph in ST without noticing the deficit before it started to hurt? Based on everything they told me about leaving metal in a fracture repair long term (forearm in my case), he fits the exact description of when/why they told me it might have to be removed (hurts under high strain), yet there is no talk of that - so it makes no sense to me.

It seems to me that the 60 day DL makes sense for Zumaya.It frees up a spot on the 40 man roster and the Tigers can collect insurance on the contract. I would think that we have likely seen the last of Zumaya.

Will the Tigers put Guillen on the 60 day DL, or do unknown (to me) incentives on Guillen's contract make that unlikely ?

raburn at 2b tonight tells me we probably won't be seeing guillen anytime soon, if at all this year.

raburn at 2b tonight tells me we probably won't be seeing guillen anytime soon, if at all this year.

Desparation for offense. Have to get his bat in there somewhere. Though I'm not sure why they wouldn't call up Sizemore.

36 PA's at Toledo: .387 .472 .548 1.021

Desparation for offense. Have to get his bat in there somewhere. Though I'm not sure why they wouldn't call up Sizemore.

36 PA's at Toledo: .387 .472 .548 1.021

3 errors in two days not helping him.