CapitalTigers

Zumaya and Guillen Injury Update

I expected Guillen's recovery to last along time. Microfracture surgery ruined or cut short many NBA players' careers. Granted, baseball doesn't need the explosive jumping ability that basketball does, but it's a pretty big deal in terms of knee surgeries.

They are shutting Zumaya down, again. Doesnt look like he will be back anytime soon.

Not sure that's true.

Zumaya's throwing program halted | tigers.com: News

Doesn't say anything about being "shut down", nor a projected return. I think you're reading between the lines when it doesn't really warrant.

Edited by toadhunter911

I think its time to cut bait with Zumaya. He gave it his best and he just didn't work out.

You've got to pay him anyway. Give it a couple months.

Honestly, I want to just cut Guillen... He isn't doing the team any good, Rhymes can crry the load for at least this season, and getting his name off the DL would be a huge load off the Tigers shoulders.

Honestly, I want to just cut Guillen... He isn't doing the team any good, Rhymes can crry the load for at least this season, and getting his name off the DL would be a huge load off the Tigers shoulders.

Huh? How is Guillen being on the DL any different than cutting him for the team? If we are paying him, might as well see if he can help.

I'm not sure about this Miguel Cabrera character either. If he can't hit a homerun every time up, what good is he?

I don't exactly know how insurance works for baseball players --- but I am guessing that if Guillen is on the team, and the DL, the team's insurance covers his salary. If they cut the guy, I would believe they just pay him --- and that would be extended to him playing for another team.

Edited by Titus Tiger

I'm not sure about this Miguel Cabrera character either. If he can't hit a homerun every time up, what good is he?

If he hit a HR every time his BABIP would like really suck

I don't exactly know how insurance works for baseball players --- but I am guessing that if Guillen is on the team, and the DL, the team's insurance covers his salary. If they cut the guy, I would believe they just pay him --- and that would be extended to him playing for another team.

Pick your analogy from the following...

1) He is like Dontrelle Willis: Cut him before his disease spreads!!!

2) He is like a band aid: Just rip it off fast.

I doubt a team would pick him up this year even if we cut him... If it would make u feel better about ourselves, we could trade him to some desperate team for half a loaf of bread.

Huh? How is Guillen being on the DL any different than cutting him for the team? If we are paying him, might as well see if he can help.

Well you could have said the same about Dontrelle Willis a couple years ago... The point when the question changes from "when will this guy actually be 100%" to "when does this guy's contract expire?" is the point he just needs to be released, no matter the price tag.

Pick your analogy from the following...

1) He is like Dontrelle Willis: Cut him before his disease spreads!!!

2) He is like a band aid: Just rip it off fast.

I doubt a team would pick him up this year even if we cut him... If it would make u feel better about ourselves, we could trade him to some desperate team for half a loaf of bread.

Are you kidding... Tampa Bay needs to replace Manny Rameriz

Well you could have said the same about Dontrelle Willis a couple years ago... The point when the question changes from "when will this guy actually be 100%" to "when does this guy's contract expire?" is the point he just needs to be released, no matter the price tag.

I will use Dontrelle for your other post --- why would any team want Dontrelle... well AZ did, even if it was not very smart for the DiamondBacks

How is Dontrelle not being able to throw a strike anything like keeping a player on the DL? The Tigers have nothing to lose by keeping him there, where as Dontrelle playing actually was a detriment to the team.

I'm missing the point of the DL argument. Players on the 60-day DL do not take up a place on the 40-man roster. Players on the 15-day DL do not take up a 25-man spot. They only matter to the 40-man this time of year if you need to activate a player not on the 40-man.

If the Tigers knew they were never going to use Guillen again I guess it would be respectful to give him a chance to play elsewhere. I think he still might contribute. (I'm not holding my breath or betting mortgage money, but definitely think its possible.) Rather than the pro-rated $400,000 the Tigers would likely get from some other team I'd like to take the chance he can contribute this year.

Also, what is the disease that is spreading? Are spikes to the knees going around this year? Better get Rhymes, Santiago and Peralta vaccinated. Well Santiago and Peralta anyway.

I feel bad for Z00M.

So much to think, but so little to say on it. It's pretty obvious where this is heading.

I agree, He is making a little money, but not what a guy like he could make if he had two quality seasons... And on a selfish note, imagine the Tigers bullpen with Zumaya, Benoit and Valverde.

How is Dontrelle not being able to throw a strike anything like keeping a player on the DL? The Tigers have nothing to lose by keeping him there, where as Dontrelle playing actually was a detriment to the team.

And every time he came back and was pitching balls, it got blamed on a stress disorder and they stck him onto the DL!

It makes no sense to cut a player that is on the DL. That is why you have a DL.

Yes, I'm continuing an argument with Yooper (really the entire board is ripping my idea apart right now)... Yes, I know it is impossible to win

:happy:

Right now you have Scott Sizemore and Will Rhymes just waiting for Guillen to be "healthy" again...

There is no indication whatsoever that this time around wil be any different than any other Carlos Guillen injury...

It is a constant cycle...

15 day DL

Recovery

"Healthy"

Small injury

Lingering Injury

15 day DL

Recovery (longer this time)

"Healthy"

Small injury

Lingering injury

and so on....

He has played only 52% of the time in the last 3 years + 2011. Take out 2008 and he has only played in 45%.

as comparison...

Peralta: 93%

Inge: 86%

Cabrera: 97%

Come on!

Whoever is our 2nd baseman of the future (Sizemore or Rhymes, they need to decide) - needs to have security in their play and know that they are not just a person that stands between 1st and 2nd base while another person who is considered better gets healthy.

And every time he came back and was pitching balls, it got blamed on a stress disorder and they stck him onto the DL!

When you say 'it got blamed' I assume you believe he didn't have the anxiety disorder ... what do you think about Zack Greinke, once on medication (which Willis refused to believe in) he became a Cy Young pitcher