CapitalTigers

Zumaya and Guillen Injury Update

Per John Keating Video: I'll recap...

Zumaya got the all clear from Dr. Andrews to start tossing lightly today for 5 days. He'll be re-examined in 5 days. If things look okay, he can long toss for a while then be re-examined. Then step 3 will be working on velocity. I think we'd be lucky to see Zoom in May.

Guillen is working on range of motion and strength exercises. Sounds like he's quite a ways from baseball condition.

Fox SportsNet Detroit

Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but my opinion on the whole Guillen thing:

He is in the last year of that 48 mil contract. I would guess there is a rider in that contract that stipulates games played. He doesnt get clearance to play, we dont have to pay his entire contract and he rides off into the sunset having a decent career.

All non arbitration MLB contracts are guaranteed.

I guess there's the possibility for insurance that would kick in from the Tigers perspective but that wouldn't change what Guillen gets.

I guess there's the possibility for insurance that would kick in from the Tigers perspective but that wouldn't change what Guillen gets.

That monstrous contract given to an aging ailing player in Guillen will never make sense to me.

Also, I would not be surprised if he doesn't see an at bat this year at the MLB level. He may be done.

I like you man but the sky is always falling with you... the season is more fun when you don't always just expect the worst :)

If I remember correctly, the Guillen contract and Kenny Rogers injury were announced on the same day in early 2007. I think it was when camp broke.

Was it a non arbitration deal? Ordonez re organized his contract. They may be totally different, but I do not have access to the particulars of Guillens contract. Do you have access?

Many teams have at least one player who's value proposition has inverted. Guillen leveraged a solid '07 to get the pact, and it's an indication that the Tigers were not optimistic about filling the roster with players in the system. I think that's played out as well, as we've seen.

Was it a non arbitration deal? Ordonez re organized his contract.

Yes, it was and its fully guaranteed; insurance is the only way to recoup any funds.

Ordonez did not re-organize or renegotiate his contract; that is not allowed under the CBA.

His $15mm option for 2011 did not kick in due to his broken ankle. The Tiger declined the option making him a free agent, able to sign with any team. He choose to re-sign with Detroit, though Boras claimed he turned down multi multi-year offers in doing so.

Wasent he do 18 mil or something and we released and re signed him to 10? Something similar?

No, he had a $15 million club option for this year on the contact his signed back in 2005. The club didn't pick up the option (ankle injury) thus making him a free agent. He then resigned a one year $10 million deal this past off-season.

No, he was only due $15 million in the sense that if he got a certain # of plate appearances between 2009 and 2010 then the team option for $15 million was automatically exercised. Since he didn't get those plate appearances, due to Gene Lamont, the Tigers did not exercise their option. He was a free agent.

and I don't blame you for thinking it was $18 million. The media and radio guys kept saying $18 million.

No, he was only due $15 million in the sense that if he got a certain # of plate appearances between 2009 and 2010 then the team option for $15 million was automatically exercised. Since he didn't get those plate appearances, due to Gene Lamont, the Tigers did not exercise their option. He was a free agent.

Yeah thats it. I knew it was between 15-18 I couldnt recall right off the top of my head, but that was kind of my point. He didnt get a certain number of appearances so they didnt have to pay him the money.

Maybe Guillens contract is different (I havent had a chance to look at that site in real detail yet), but if he doesnt get a certain number of AB's ..........?

and I don't blame you for thinking it was $18 million. The media and radio guys kept saying $18 million.

The 18 million number comes from his option in 2010, which was allowed to vest despite his abominable 2009 season.

Maybe Guillens contract is different (I havent had a chance to look at that site in real detail yet), but if he doesnt get a certain number of AB's ..........?

Zero at-bats or 700 at-bats or anywhere in between, Guillen gets $13mm.

His $15mm option for 2011 did not kick in due to his broken ankle. The Tiger declined the option making him a free agent, able to sign with any team. He choose to re-sign with Detroit, though Boras claimed he turned down multi multi-year offers in doing so.

Ok so that last year was a team or team/player option? I knew that Boras shopped him and that Ordonez SAID he wanted to come back, but I guess the speculation is for another thread :wink:

Thanks again for the link to that site.

2011 was a team option, but the contract had a vesting clause that turned 2011 into a player option, if Maggs made enough plate appearances, which he did not

I like you man but the sky is always falling with you... the season is more fun when you don't always just expect the worst :)

I'm a pessimist by nature / optimistic by mind trickery.

I don't know if it's necessarily the worst thing if Guillen doesn't come back if he doesn't have anything to give.

They are shutting Zumaya down, again. Doesnt look like he will be back anytime soon.

They are shutting Zumaya down, again. Doesnt look like he will be back anytime soon.

Ugh, that's terrible. Can't help but feel bad for Zumaya.