Sign in to follow this  
redshark63

2011 Toledo Mud Hen Articles

Mud Hens continue to cruise

5-run seventh inning earns 7-1 win

BLADE STAFF

Facebook Twitter Reddit Digg E-mail Print Rss

Norfolk, Va. -- The Mud Hens rode a five-run seventh inning to easily defeat the host Norfolk Tides 7-1 Tuesday at Harbor Park as Max St-Pierre provided the biggest blow of the game with his three-run homer in the frame.

Fu-Te Ni performed admirably in a rare spot start picking up his fifth win of the season after allowing one run through seven innings of work.

Ryan Strieby powered the Hens (44-54) to a 2-0 lead when he hammered a two-run home run in the top of the first.

However, Norfolk (36-61) tallied a run in the home half of the first to cut Toledo's lead in half.

Pitching then took hold of the game and silenced the offenses until the Hens broke through for five runs in the seventh.

Danny Worth got the inning started with a single and Ben Guez was then plunked by a pitch.

With two on, St-Pierre strode to the plate and took the second pitch of the at-bat deep, giving the Mud Hens a commanding 5-1 lead.

The Hens added two more insurance runs in the stanza when Jeff Salazar roped a single to center field to plate Will Rhymes and Argenis Diaz.

Diaz, was 2-for-2 with two runs and two walks in the win.

Jose Ortega and Matt Hoffman worked a combined scoreless two innings in relief of Ni.

The Mud Hens -- winners of 12 of their last 16 games -- will try to win their third straight against Norfolk Wednesday.

First pitch is scheduled Wednesday night for 7:05.

http://toledoblade.com/Mud-Hens/2011/07/20/Mud-Hens-continue-to-cruise.html

Does anyone other than me find it odd that Toledo has not had a repeat starter in the last seven games?

Mud Hens score early to beat Norfolk

Toledo wins 5th game in a row to stay hot

NORFOLK, Va. -- The Toledo Mud Hens kept up their scorching play with a 4-3 road win over Norfolk Wednesday night.

The Hens did all their damage early, scoring all four runs in the first. Argenis Diaz got the Hens on the board when he scored on an RBI single by Jeff Salazar. Timo Perez stole home with Danny Worth batting before Worth hit an RBI single to right to score Salazar. Worth later scored on a single by Clete Thomas.

Ryan Perry (3-0) earned the win, throwing two scoreless innings of relief with two strikeouts, two hits, and a walk. Chance Ruffin struck out one and gave up two hits in a scoreless inning to earn his seventh save of the season.

NOTES: The Detroit Tigers called pitchers Duane Below and Charlie Furbush up to the majors and sent pitcher Adam Wilk and outfielder Casper Wells to the Mud Hens.

http://toledoblade.com/Mud-Hens/2011/07/21/Mud-Hens-score-early-to-beat-Norfolk.html

Toledo claims 11-3 victory, finishes sweep of Norfolk

NORFOLK, Va. — The Mud Hens cruised to an 11-3 victory Thursday to finish a four-game sweep of the Norfolk Tides at Harbor Park.

The victory was the sixth in a row for Toledo, aided in large part by right fielder Ben Guez who went 4-for-5 including a home run in the sixth inning off Will Startup.

After a scoreless first, the Mud Hens put up four runs in the second inning as Guez, Max St. Pierre, Will Rhymes, and Argenis Diaz each contributed with a RBI at the expense of Tides pitcher Brian Matusz (0-3).

Toledo added a fifth run in the third ining.

With two outs and no one on, Clete Thomas drew a walk and stole second. Iorg hit a line drive-double to left, scoring Thomas.

The Tides’ Jake Fox closed Toledo’s lead to 5-3 after he drove a three-run home run over the left field wall off Hens starter Brayan Villarreal

(2-5).

The Hens stretched their lead again the fourth.

For the second straight inning, the Hens had a two-out rally.

Toledo tallied five two-out runs with the highlight of the inning

being Thomas’ three-run shot that was driven over the right center fence.

Guez got his third RBI of the contest as he belted a solo homer over the left field wall in the sixth.

Villarreal giving up three runs on five hits in six innings, while striking out two and walking two.

Matusz lasted 3⅔ innings, allowing eight runs (seven earned) on eight hits. He struck out two.

The Mud Hens will travel to Durham to begin a four-game series at 7 Friday night.

The Hens return to Toledo on Tuesday for an eight-game homestand with games against Norfolk and Syracuse.

NOTES: The Hens last successful four-game series sweep on the road was in April this year against Syracuse. ... The last Mud Hen to get four hits in a game was Timo Perez on May 3 at Pawtucket

http://toledoblade.com/Mud-Hens/2011/07/21/Toledo-claims-11-3-victory-finishes-sweep-of-Norfolk.html

Durham stops Hens

Toledo winning streak ends at 6

DURHAM, N.C. — The Mud Hens had their win streak snapped at six games with a 4-3 defeat Friday night at the hands of the Durham Bulls after leading late in the game.

Durham took a 1-0 lead in the first on a solo home run by Brandon Guyer.

Ryan Strieby tied the game up with a solo shot of his own in the fourth. The homer was Strieby’s 16th of the season with Toledo.

The Hens (46-55) grabbed a 2-1 lead in the sixth when Perez drove a ball over the right-field wall.

In the seventh, Clete Thomas singled, then stole second — his 11th steal of the season.

He was able to dart to third when the catcher overthrew second on the steal attempt.

Max St-Pierre eventually knocked in Thomas with a RBI single to give the Hens a 3-1 lead.

The Hens’ fell behind 4-3 in the seventh when the Bulls plated three runs after a run-scoring wild pitch by starter Andy Oliver, an RBI single, and an RBI double.

Timo Perez went 2 for 4 with an RBI and a run scored.

Oliver (6-7) was tagged with the loss after allowing four runs through six innings.

Will Rhymes went 2 for 5 in the loss as well.

The two clubs will go at it once again Saturday night at 7:05.

http://www.toledoblade.com/Mud-Hens/2011/07/23/Durham-stops-Hens.html

Hens drop 2nd straight

Toledo gets 10 hits, strands 10 runners on base

Enlarge DURHAM, NC -- Missed opportunities abounded Saturday night in the Mud Hens 9-2 road loss to the Durham Bulls.

The hits were rampant as Toledo hitters combined to get 10 hits -- led by Casper Wells 3 for 4 night including two solo home runs -- but the team could not find timely hits. As a squad, the Hens (46-56) went a combined 0 for 10 with runners in scoring position, stranding 10 runners on base.

Durham (57-43) did not have the same problem, going 5 for 13 in the same predicament, including getting timely hits in the seventh inning off Toledo starter Thad Weber and reliever Ryan Perry.

The Bulls scored five runs to break open a 3-2 lead in the frame.

Weber allowed three earned runs on six hits, walking two and striking out five in 6⅓ innings while Perry was struck for three earned runs while not registering an out in the contest.

Wells put the Hens up 1-0 in the second with a solo bomb. The Bulls leapt ahead in the bottom of the second with a two-run triple.

Durham went ahead 3-1 in the third after scoring a run on a passed ball.

Wells brought the Hens within a run, in the sixth, with a homer to center field.

The home run was Wells' second of the game.

The game then slipped away from the Hens in the seventh.

Cale Iorg stole his 12th base of the season while Will Rhmyes and Ryan Strieby each added two hits in the offensive attack for the Hens.

Danny Worth was 1 for 3 with a double in the loss.

Alexander Torres picked up the win for Durham, improving to 7-6 on the season.

John Maulia was 3 for 5 with an RBI for Durham while J.J. Furmaniak and Daniel Mayora each had two hits in the victory.

The two teams will face off once again tonight with a 7:05 first pitch.

http://www.toledoblade.com/Mud-Hens/2011/07/24/Hens-drop-2nd-straight.html

Durham bests Mud Hens

Pitching duel clips Toledo; 3rd straight loss

BLADE STAFF

DURHAM, N.C. -- The tail-end of a seven-game east coast road trip has not been kind to the Toledo Mud Hens.

After winning six straight, the Hens dropped their third in a row Sunday, falling 2-1 to Durham.

Fu-Te Ni (5-1) pitched well in defeat, allowing seven hits while striking out six and giving up just two runs in six innings pitched.

Danny Worth powered the Hens offensively, going 2 for 3 with a double and a run scored.

Worth put the Mud Hens (46-57) ahead 1-0 in the third frame when he successfully stole home off of Bulls pitcher Andy Sonnanstine.

The steal was Worth's seventh of the season in a Hens' uniform.

Durham (58-43) tied things up in the bottom of the fourth with a RBI single.

The Hens fell behind 2-1 in the fifth when Ni allowed a solo home run to Felipe Lopez.

The homer turned out to be the winning run as the Hens were not able to carve out another run off of Durham pitching.

Five different Hens recorded at least one hit in the loss and went just 1 for 6 with runners in scoring position.

Catcher Max St-Pierre was 2 for 3 while first baseman Scott Thorman was 1 for 4 with a double.

Jose Ortega struck out three Durham batters in two innings of relief .

The two squads finish up the series tonight at 7:05.

http://www.toledoblade.com/Mud-Hens/2011/07/25/Durham-bests-Mud-Hens.html

Mud Hens snap skid at 3 games

DURHAM, N.C. -- A four-run fifth inning opened up a large lead for the Toledo Mud Hens Monday night en route to a 6-2 win over the Durham Bulls.

The win snaps the Hens three-game losing streak and improves the team to 47-57 overall.

Adam Wilk pitched 5⅔ innings, allowing eight hits, but just two runs -- one earned -- while striking out six and not giving up a walk to even his season record to 5-5.

Brandan Wise and Enrique Gonzalez went the rest of the way, striking out five Bulls batters while allowing just one hit.

Four Hens batters had a multi-hit game, led by Will Rhmyes going 3 for 5 while Jeff Salazar, Timo Perez, and Scott Thorman each had two hits in the win.

Jeff Kunkel put the Hens on the board in the third with a solo homer. The Hens took a 2-0 lead two batters later, when Salazar's double to right field scored Rhymes.

In the fourth, Ryan Strieby got things started with a ground out that scored Rhymes. The Hens took a 4-0 lead when Salazar, whom was on third, darted home, when a pickoff throw by Durham's catcher sailed into the outfield. Casper Wells tripled to center field to score Strieby. Thorman plated the Hens final run of the inning on a RBI single to hand Toledo a 6-0 advantage.

http://www.toledoblade.com/Mud-Hens/2011/07/26/Mud-Hens-snap-skid-at-3-games.html

Inge helps Mud Hens to 7-4 win over Norfolk

BY MARK MONROE

BLADE SPORTS WRITER

Hens-Inge.jpg

Mud Hen Brandon Inge is late on the tag against Norfolk's Kyle Hudson who stole 3rd during Tuesday night. THE BLADE/LORI KING Enlarge | Photo Reprints

Longtime Detroit Tiger Brandon Inge still has plenty of supporters among Toledo Mud Hens fans.

Inge, who is in his 11th season with the Tigers organization, received a nice round of applause from a crowd of 9,089 at Fifth Third Field in pre-game intros Tuesday night. Inge later reciprocated with a three-run home run that sent the Mud Hens to a 7-4 win over Norfolk.

Inge had struggled at the plate this season and Detroit outrighted his contract to Toledo Tuesday afternoon. Inge started at third base and batted sixth in the Hens’ order. He went 3-for-4 with a double, homer, and he drove in four runs.

“I’m very appreciative of these fans,” Inge said. “It’s good to know they have your back.”

Several fans wore Inge’s No. 15 Tigers jersey as the Mud Hens began an eight-game homestand.

“Toledo and Detroit are both blue collar cities,” he said. “I feel like they appreciate someone that plays hard. That’s all you can control.”

With the game tied at 4 and two outs in the seventh inning, Inge smacked a line shot over the left-field fence.

“For him to be here says a lot about him as a man and a teammate,” Mud Hens manager Phil Nevin said. “He’s not just collecting a paycheck. He swallowed his pride. You heard the reception for him. It was neat to see.”

Inge was hitting just .177 with one home run in 70 games for the Tigers this season.

“When you hit rock bottom after 10 years in the big leagues [and] get sent down to Toledo, I decided not to stress out about it anymore and play baseball the way I know how,” Inge said. “I know I can turn it around. I want to finish the season out with the Tigers. I don’t want to quit on a team. I’d rather fight and claw my way back up. If they go a different way, at least I gave it my all.”

Inge, who is the longest-tenured Tiger, re-signed with the team last fall. He is in the first year of a two-year, $11 million contract. Tuesday night, Inge said he let mechanics go.

“I was just having fun and being confident,” he said. “They harp so much in the big leagues on results and hits and I’m completely over that right now. I wasn’t swinging like a .170 hitter. My results weren’t showing it. I’m just going to do my thing.”

Inge tied the game at 4 in the fifth inning with a hard, sharply hit line single to left field that scored Ryan Strieby. Strieby had pulled Toledo within one run on an RBI double.

The Mud Hens took a 1-0 lead in the first on Strieby’s sac fly and added another run on a sac fly from Max St. Pierre in the second inning.

Mud Hens starter Brayan Villarreal was sharp early, but gave up four earned runs over 5 2/3 innings. Norfolk went up 4-2 on Jake Fox’s two-run double in the fifth inning.

Daniel Schlereth (1-0) pitched 1 1/3 innings and gave up one hit. Ryan Perry picked up his fifth save by allowing one hit over the last two innings. Clete Thomas went 3-for-4 with two doubles and a run scored.

Inge was designated for assignment on July 22 after the Tigers acquired Wilson Betemit from Kansas City. Inge led off the fourth with a line double to the left field corner.

“He has unfinished business up there,” Nevin said. “He still has a lot of confidence.”

Inge, 34, came to Toledo for a rehab stint from June 16-22. Inge, who had been on the disabled list suffering from mononucleosis, went 7 for 28 (.250) here.

“My way of playing now is having fun and relaxing in the batter’s box,” he said. “It’s baseball, it’s supposed to be fun.”

http://www.toledoblade.com/Mud-Hens/2011/07/27/Inge-helps-Mud-Hens-to-7-4-win-over-Norfolk.html

Wells' effort not enough for Hens

Right fielder singles, doubles, triples, but Norfolk wins with 4-run eighth

BY JOHN WAGNER

BLADE SPORTS WRITER

Casper Wells came down from Detroit less than a week ago after spending the entire season with the Tigers.

But instead of moping or complaining, Wells has provided a solid bat in the middle of the Toledo lineup.

Wednesday night Wells nearly hit for the cycle, collecting a single, double, and triple while driving in a pair of runs in four at-bats. But that wasn't enough as Norfolk rallied for four runs in the eighth to claim a 5-4 win over the Hens at Fifth Third Field.

PHOTO GALLERY: Click here to view images

Wells, who has hit .364 with five RBIs in his first six games with Toledo, said he is doing his best to have a positive attitude.

"I come down here knowing that I'm going to be in the lineup every day and get a chance to play," he said. "I'm working on trying to see the ball and have quality at-bats.

"I'm trying to get some good pitches to hit and take advantage of them. It's just a different setting."

When Detroit manager Jim Leyland talked about Wells' demotion, he called it a "crying shame" that he had to send the 26-year-old Wells back to the Hens, adding, "Most times, when you send somebody down, there's a reason for it, and there's some logic behind it. This one, there's logic but there's no good reason for it."

Wells had mixed emotions after hearing Leyland's words.

"It's good to hear that from the manager, that your hard work didn't go without notice," Wells said. "For him to say that is somewhat comforting.

"But the fact is, I'm still here. Nothing that was said really matters in the grand scheme of things. You have to handle your business.

"When I got the news I was going to be sent down, I had to make the mental adjustment."

Mud Hens manager Phil Nevin said he likes that Wells has made that adjustment.

"He's been a professional the whole time he's been here," Nevin said of Wells. "Every guy who has come here from Detroit has been professional about coming here and working on some things, and he's no exception."

Wells doubled in the first to drive in a run and tripled in the fifth to bring home another. His single came in the fourth in a rally that did produce a run, but should have been bigger.

With the bases loaded and no one out, Brandon Inge walked to force home a run. But the next three batters were retired without the Hens scoring.

"We got one, and we had a team on the ropes," Nevin said. "But we didn't take good at-bats.

"To me, that was the turning point of the game. We had a chance to put away a team we had beaten five times. If we could have scored we might have sent them into a tailspin. But we didn't keep the pedal down."

Meanwhile Toledo starter Andy Oliver pitched well except for the fifth, when he gave up a leadoff single and back-to-back walks to load the bases with no one out. He managed to limit the damage to a single run thanks to a sharp double play.

"He had one tough inning," Nevin said of Oliver. "He gave up a hit to the leadoff guy -- on an 0-2 pitch -- but then he walked the next two guys.

"To come back and give up only one run, that could have been the turning point of the game."

Instead Norfolk won the game in the eighth. Oliver gave up a single and then hit a batter with one out. Lester Oliveros came out of the bullpen and gave up a single to load the bases before Jake Fox blooped a double into the right-field corner to clear the bases. Then with two outs the Tides added an important run on an RBI single by Tyler Henson where Fox just beat the throw to the plate by Timo Perez.

"I thought Lester threw the ball well," Nevin said. "But a guy who's a dead-pull hitter [Fox] hits one the other way."

NOTES: Clete Thomas had an RBI single in the eighth to extend his current hit streak to seven games. ... Wednesday night's crowd of 9,374 was the Mud Hens' 17th sellout this season

http://www.toledoblade.com/Mud-Hens/2011/07/27/Norfolk-rallies-to-shut-down-Mud-Hens.html

Salazar saves Hens in late innings

Outfielder drives in winner in 10th

BY JOHN WAGNER

BLADE STAFF WRITER

For the second time in 11 days the Mud Hens' Jeff Salazar was the Mud Hens' hero.

First Salazar rescued the Mud Hens from the brink of defeat with a three-run homer in the bottom of the ninth, then collected the game-winning single in the bottom of the tenth to carry Toledo to an 8-7 win over Norfolk at Fifth Third Field Thursday night.

Toledo's game-tying rally in the ninth benefitted from a pair of walks as Norfolk closer Mark Worrell issued bases on balls to Ryan Strieby and Casper Wells to get things started. Salazar then slammed a 2-1 pitch from Worrell well over the fence in right for his fifth home run in the season.

In the tenth inning Timo Perez and Wells singled to set the table for Salazar, who's broken-bat line drive just got past Tides second baseman Ryan Adams for a single.

Perez beat the throw to the plate to clinch the win.

Toledo's late-inning heroics were the second rally the Hens manufactured on the night.

The Mud Hens scored a run in the first when Brandon Inge doubled with one out and Wells lined a two-out RBI single.

The Tides played longball against Mud Hens starter Thad Weber in the second, hitting three home runs to build a 3-1 lead.

With one out John Hester hit a photo of his face on the left-field scoreboard with his fourth home run of the season.

Two batters later Brendan Harris just missed hitting the scoreboard with his seventh home run this season, and Andy Donachie bettered his teammates with his second homer of the year, a shot to left field that cleared the main scoreboard and the netting that protects Monroe Street.

Toledo tied the game at 3-3 in the fourth when Salazar drew a walk and Danny Worth lined a shot that landed into the netting between the scoreboard and the left-field foul pole for his sixth home run of the season.

Norfolk regained the lead in the sixth when Adams tripled with one out, then scored on a two-out wild pitch by Weber.

The Tides seemed to clinch the victory with three runs in the eight off Toledo reliever Jose Ortega.

Kyle Hudson started that rally with a walk, then raced around to score on a double by Tyler Henson.

Adams then slammed a shot off the facing of The Roost seats in right field for his seventh home run of the year.

Toledo managed to scratch out a run in the eighth when Salazar reached on an error, then took second on a 10-pitch walk to Argenis Diaz.

With two outs Will Rhymes beat out a slow roller to second and Salazar hustled around third and scored without a throw.

NOTE: Thursday night's crowd of 8,978 was a sellout, the Mud Hens' 18th this season. ... Thursday night's victory was the Mud hens fourth in a game where they trailed entering the ninth inning, the most in the International League

Salazar saves Hens in late innings - Toledo Blade

Strieby leads Hens over Norfolk

Toledo smacks 3 HRs to win against Tides

BY JOHN WAGNER

BLADE SPORTS WRITER

There were two on and two outs in the bottom of the eighth inning, and Friday night’s game between the Mud Hens and Norfolk was tied at 2-2.

Ryan Strieby launched a towering fly ball to deep left-center, and Toledo’s hopes rose at the possibility of a home run.

“Yeah, I was about 90 percent sure [it was a home run],” Strieby said. “I wasn’t 100 percent sure — I thought I might have gotten under it a little bit. But I was pretty sure.”

It was a home run, all right. And Strieby’s three-run shot, Toledo’s third homer of the night, catapulted the Hens to a 5-2 victory, their third in four games.

“It’s great that it’s been a different guy every night,” Mud Hens manager Phil Nevin said. “But that’s what happens when you string together a few wins.

“We’ve been playing well. And when you’re playing well you get some timely hits and you make some good defensive plays. Those things just happen.”

The Hens’ game-winning rally in the eighth began when Max St-Pierre singled off Tides starter Rick VandenHurk. Will Rhymes sacrificed St-Pierre to second, and one out later Timo Perez singled sharply to right — too sharply, in fact, because St-Pierre was forced to stop at third.

That put the pressure on Strieby, who fouled off the first pitch and then took a ball before launching the next pitch over the fence for his team-leading 17th homer of the season.

“He threw a slider that was up in the zone — really it was the only good pitch I had to hit all night,” Strieby said. “[VandenHurk] was really on top of his game.

“With a guy like that, if he makes his pitches it’s going to be a tough night. You have to look for a mistake — and if you get it, you have to make the most of it.”

VandenHurk didn’t make many mistakes early, limiting the Hens to a pair of hits and just three baserunners until the sixth.

In that frame Rhymes lined his third home run of the season over the fence in right. One inning later Jeff Salazar hammered his second homer in as many nights, a line drive into the Coop-A-Cabana underneath The Roost.

The second home run helped tie the game as the Toledo pitchers and defense helped keep Norfolk in check.

Starter Fu-Te Ni allowed just seven hits in six innings, and his only struggles came in the fifth. With two outs, Kyle Hudson and Tyler Henson hit back-to-back triples for one run, and Ryan Adams followed with a single for the other.

Brendan Wise used just 12 pitches to pitch a pair of scoreless innings in relief of Ni.

“We got a good start from Ni, and Wise was just outstanding,” Nevin said. “I think Ni has gotten comfortable in this [starting] role. He’s grabbed the bull by the horns and run with it.”

The Toledo defense also was impressive. The Hens threw out one runner at the plate trying to score from first on a double; Brandon Inge made several fine plays at third base; and Argenis Diaz made a throw from deep in the hole to retire another.

“Inge is a gold-glover at third base, and the guy at shortstop [Diaz] is pretty good too,” Nevin said. “If there’s a better left side of the infield in this league, I don’t know who would have it.”

It all added up to the Hens’ third comeback win in four days and a 17-8 record for Toledo in July.

“Those [comeback wins] are always fun,” Strieby said. “And we had three of those in this series.

“Those are games you want to be a part of.”

NOTES: Before the game the Tigers called up LHP Daniel Schlereth from Toledo and sent RHP Chance Ruffin to the Hens. ... The Mud Hens put RHP Brayan Villarreal on the disabled list with soreness in his right shoulder. RHP Luis Marte was called up from Double-A Erie to take Villarreal’s spot on the roster. ... Nevin said LHP Ramon Garcia would be called up from Erie to start in place of Villarreal tomorrow. ... Last night’s crowd of 10,300 was the Mud Hens’ fourth sellout in a row and 19th this season.

Strieby leads Hens over Norfolk - Toledo Blade

Thomas' 11th-inning hit a winner

JOHN WAGNER

BLADE SPORTS WRITER

Clete Thomas singled with two outs in the bottom of the 11th inning to drive home Timo Perez with the winning run as the Mud Hens beat Syracuse 4-3 at Fifth Third Field Saturday night.

Perez had opened the 11th by drawing a walk, a single by Jeff Salazar, and a walk to Scott Thorman loaded the bases for Thomas's game-winning hit.

That game-winning hit helped the Hens salvage a win in a game in which they had lost a 3-0 lead.

Toledo broke on top with a pair of runs in the first off Syracuse starter Garrett Mock. Will Rhymes beat out a grounder on the left side for a single, then moved to third on a one-out single by Perez. Ryan Strieby lined a single up the middle that brought home Rhymes and sent Perez to second. After a walk to Salazar loaded the bases, Thorman avoided a double play on his grounder to third to allow Perez to score.

SEE MORE: Mud Hens lead in come-from-behind victories

Toledo upped its lead to 3-0 when Brandon Inge slammed a line drive over the left-field fence for his fourth home run with the Hens this season. But, the Hens did little against the Chiefs' bullpen. Collin Balester allowed just one hit in four scoreless innings, striking out six, while Zech Zinicola added 2⅔ innings without a run and Atahualpa Severino bailed Zinicola out with a strikeout to end the tenth. Meanwhile Syracuse started its comeback with a run in the fourth off Toledo starter Adam Wilk. With one out Chris Marrero walked, raced to third on a single by Seth Bynum, and scored on a two-out single by Tug Hulett.

In the seventh the Chiefs took advantage of a shaky effort by Lester Oliveros to tie the game with a pair of runs. With one out Hulett drew a walk, Jeff Frazier singled and Carlos Maldonado walked to load the bases for Corey Brown, who singled to push each runner up a base.

Enrique Gonzalez came on in relief and ended the threat, but not before Steve Lombardozzi had lifted a sacrifice fly to center to tie the game.

Thomas' 11th-inning hit a winner - Toledo Blade

Thorman's grand slam lifts Hens

BY JOHN WAGNER

BLADE SPORTS WRITER

In a month full of amazing performances, the Mud Hens saved their best for last.

Toledo got a grand slam by Scott Thorman with one out in the bottom of the ninth inning to claim a come-from-behind 8-5 victory over Syracuse at Fifth Third Field Sunday night.

"Honestly, I'm at a loss for words on this one," Hens manager Phil Nevin said. "When they scored four runs in the eighth, you didn't see anybody get down. Even with two outs in the eighth, we got two runs out of it.

"It sure was a fun night."

Trailing 5-4 entering the ninth, the Mud Hens got a leadoff walk from Brandon Inge. After an attempted sacrifice by Timo Perez forced Inge at second, Syracuse reliever Josh Wilkie walked Ryan Strieby and Jeff Salazar to load the bases. That set the stage for Thorman, who swung and missed the first offering from Wilkie, then took two pitches outside the strike zone before slamming the next pitch well over the right-field fence for his 13th home run of the year.

"It's a situation where you want to be aggressive," Thorman said. "With the bases loaded and one out, you don't want to take a pitch for a strike.

"I had a feeling he would come after me with changeups."

The Mud Hens opened the scoring in the first on three straight singles by Inge, Perez, and Strieby, then added a run in the third when Perez doubled and Salazar singled him home. But the Chiefs got a run in the second on a home run by Jesus Valdez while Toledo left six runners on base in the first four innings and led just 2-1 entering the eighth.

"We were waiting for the big hit with two outs," Thorman said of the Hens' early offensive struggles. "I had a couple of chances, and it just didn't happen."

It was Syracuse who got the big hits in a four-run eighth that gave it a 5-2 lead. But Toledo responded to score twice with two outs in the bottom of that inning in a rally that Nevin called, "huge."

"You get a feeling in the dugout that, no matter how far down you go, you're going to come back," he said.

That set the stage for Thorman's late-game theatrics, which netted the Hens their fifth victory when trailing entering the ninth, the most in the International League this season. Three of those comeback wins came this month as Toledo posted a 20-8 record in July, best in the IL.

"We had 20 wins?" Thorman said. "There's no doubt we've been playing good baseball -- even a lot of the losses have been close.

"It's been fun to come to the park lately."

NOTES: Last night's crowd of 9,020 was the Mud Hens' 21st sellout this season. ... Before the game the Mud Hens called up Ramon Garcia from Double-A Erie for a spot start and sent pitcher Ryan Robowski to Erie to make room for him on the roster. The Hens also called up Ben Guez to fill the roster spot of Casper Wells, who was traded to Seattle on Saturday.

Thorman's grand slam lifts Hens - Toledo Blade

Frazier warming up at plate

Former Hen scores twice as Syracuse thumps Toledo

BY JOHN WAGNER

BLADE SPORTS WRITER

When Jeff Frazier and his Syracuse teammates came to Fifth Third Field, Frazier knew he would get a chilly reception.

“I knew [being named] the ‘Ice Cream Strikeout Player’ was coming,” Frazier said with a smile. “But I’ve only got 36 strikeouts this year.

“If they do that again, the people of Toledo aren’t going to get much ice cream.”

Frazier played a key role in two rallies Monday that helped the Chiefs claim an 8-3 win over the Mud Hens. And other than getting the ice cream treatment Saturday, the former Hen has been treated warmly.

“From the walk to the ballpark from the hotel, there were people welcoming me back,” he said. “That’s why I miss this town.

“I thought I heard a few claps from the crowd when I got my first hit, and that put a smile on my face.”

Last season Frazier was named to the International League’s postseason all-star team after tying for third in the league with 25 homers and leading the Hens with 73 RBIs. But instead of re-signing with the Tigers, the 28-year-old from New Jersey signed with Washington.

“The Tigers wanted me back very badly, but there were some other teams in there,” Frazier said. “It came down to opportunity.

“I saw what Detroit had, and I saw what the Nationals had, and Washington was a much better fit for me.”

Frazier hit .389 with a pair of *homers and six RBIs in spring training, but he was a late cut by the Nationals and sent to Syracuse. That’s one of the reasons he started slowly, with his average reaching .140 at one point early in the season.

“The numbers are rough,” he said. “I had a terrible, terrible start, there’s no way around that.

“I had a good spring with the major-league team and was hoping to make that team. But when I got sent down it was a little bit of a shock, and I think I carried that into the season.”

The poor start explains Frazier’s current average of .202 in 89 games.

“I think a lot of [Frazier’s slow start] was wanting to go out and impress a new team,” Syracuse manager Randy Knorr said. “He’s putting up better at-bats now, and he has a lot of extra-base hits.

“He’s a fighter — he hasn’t given up on himself. And he’s a fun guy to have around.”

Monday night the Chiefs took the lead on home runs by Roger Bernadina in the first and Matt Antonelli in the third. Things fell apart for Hens starter Andy Oliver in the fifth.

He gave up a double to Frazier and walked two batters to load the bases before giving up run-scoring hits to Chris Marrero and Jesus Valdez.

“There was some encouraging stuff — for example, he threw his change-up well early in the game,” Hens manager Phil Nevin said. “One was hit for a home run, but I thought we were going to get to them.

“But we never got the big hit, and they made some great plays on defense.”

Frazier drew a walk in the sixth off Hens reliever Luis Marte and scored, finishing 1-for-4 with a walk and two runs scored.

“Coming back was a lot more mental,” Frazier said. “I’m used to playing in front of a lot of people [in Toledo], so that was a fun part to playing here.

“And the field in Syracuse is pretty big, so that can get you mentally.

“I got back to being me. I’m just seeing the ball and hitting the ball now instead of thinking. I got to thinking too much, and that’s not good for me. I want to see it and hit it.”

Meanwhile the Hens offense struggled. After scoring a first-inning run in five of the previous six home games, Toledo got a leadoff double from Will Rhymes and a walk to Brandon Inge Monday night. But back-to-back strikeouts by Timo Perez and Ryan Strieby, followed by a groundout by Jeff Salazar, kept the Hens off the scoreboard.

“I think [not scoring] gave them a boost,” Nevin said. “Perez and Strieby have been hitting well for us lately. They didn’t get it done in those at-bats, but they’re human, and they’ll bounce back.”

Frazier warming up at plate - Toledo Blade

Mud Hens falter against Indianapolis

Thomas' 2 RBIs not enough in loss

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Toledo Mud Hens let a one-run lead slip in the seventh inning as they were defeated by the Indianapolis Indians 4-3 Thursday night at Victory Field.

The loss drops Toledo's season series with the Indians to 6-6 overall.

Clete Thomas helped power the Hens offense, going 2-for-4 with two RBIs.

Meanwhile, Fu-Te Ni (5-2) took the loss after giving up four runs in 6⅓ innings of work, walking two and striking out three.

Thomas put the Hens (52-61) up 2-0 in the third when his triple -- his second of the season -- to left field scored Timo Perez and Jeff Salazar.

Indianapolis (59-54) knotted the contest at 2-2 in the bottom of the fourth with a RBI single by Matt Hague and an RBI double off the bat of Josh Harrison.

The Mud Hens snapped the tie in the sixth when Argenis Diaz singled to left to drive in Ben Guez.

However, the lead wouldn't last long because in the home half of the sixth, Hague earned another RBI single when a run scored on a ball that landed softly in front of Salazar to tie the game at 3-3.

The Indians jumped ahead 4-3 in the seventh when RHP Ryan Perry gave up an RBI single.

The Hens threatened to tie the game in the top of the ninth when Danny Worth advanced to second base on a throwing error. Worth moved to third on a flyout by Will Rhymes.

Toledo stranded the tying run at third when Brandon Inge popped out and Perez lined out to the center fielder.

Mud Hens falter against Indianapolis - Toledo Blade

Hens find offense in victory

Big 3rd inning triggers onslaught

INDIANAPOLIS — The Toledo Mud Hens snapped a three-game losing streak with an 8-4 victory against the Indianapolis Indians on Friday night.

Left-hander Adam Wilk (6-5) earned his sixth win of the season, allowing a single run over seven innings.

Max St-Pierre went 2-for-4 with two RBIs and a run scored.

The Hens (53-61) trailed 1-0 entering the third inning but an explosion of offense would put them ahead 5-1 before the final out of the inning.

Danny Worth knotted the game at 1-1 on a line-drive home run to left field.

It was Worth’s seventh homer of the season.

Toledo took a 3-1 lead several batters later when Timo Perez doubled in St-Pierre and Will Rhymes.

Ryan Strieby, followed Perez’s double with a double of his own to push Perez home and Brandon Inge extended the lead to 5-1 when he singled in Strieby.

A lead-off walk, and back-to-back singles in the eighth, loaded the bases for St-Pierre, who roped a 3-1 pitch to left that scored Strieby and Inge. The two-out single gave the Mud Hens two big insurance runs and increased their lead over the Indians to 7-1.

Righty Lester Oliveros was summoned from the bullpen to start the eighth inning in relief of Wilk and promptly gave up a single to the first batter he faced. Indianapolis’ next batter, John Bawker, homered to cut Toledo’s lead to 7-3. The Mud Hens added one final run in the ninth when, with two outs, Strieby hit a towering shot to center field to extend the Hens’ lead to 8-3. The Indians scratched out a run in the home half of the ninth to make the score 8-4 but that was it as the tandem of Chance Ruffin and Brendan Wise combined to work the ninth and preserve the win.

Hens find offense in victory - Toledo Blade

Mud Hens rally, but come up short

INDIANAPOLIS — The Toledo Mud Hens overcame a seven-run second inning only to fall later in the contest 9-8 Saturday night to Indianapolis.

Toledo fell behind 7-1 after the second inning, but scored five in the top of the fifth and added a run in the sixth to tie the game.

But the Indians scored twice in the bottom of the frame to re-take the lead and Toledo could only muster a run in the top of the seventh inning the rest of the contest.

Ben Guez and Danny Worth each went 3-for-4 while Brandon Inge and Timo Perez were 2-for-5 in the loss.

Guez drove in three runs while Worth added two RBIs. Ryan Stieby was just 1-for-2, but walked and scored three times.

Matt Hoffman took the loss on thee mound, pitching 1 1/3 innings of relief, allowing two runs while walking two and striking out two.

Enrique Gonzalez started the game and was pulled after two innings of work, allowing seven earned runs whil striking out one batter and walking two.

Mud Hens rally, but come up short - Toledo Blade

Hens score a bunch in win

INDIANAPOLIS -- Clete Thomas was a key cog in the Mud Hens' 11-5 win over Indianapolis Sunday, going 2-for-4 with three RBIs and three runs.

Timo Perez put the Hens on the board in the first with his one-out RBI single. Toledo went ahead 4-0 as Thomas doubled in two and Max St-Pierre's sacrifice fly scored Thomas.

St-Pierre extended the Mud Hens' advantage to 6-2 with a two-run bomb to left field.

The Mud Hens tacked on another run in the sixth with Jeff Salazar's sacrifice fly.

Up 7-5, the Hens broke through for four runs in the seventh as Thomas worked a bases-loaded walk to force Ryan Strieby home. Diaz plated a couple with a two-run single. St-Pierre gave the Hens an 11-5 lead when his sac fly scored Thomas.

Lefty Andy Oliver (7-8) earned the win after allowing five runs, three earned, in 5⅔ innings. Ryan Perry shut out the Indians over the final 3⅓ innings to earn his seventh save.

Hens score a bunch in win - Toledo Blade

Weber spins gem but still gets loss

Complete game wasted as Hens held to 3 hits

BY JOHN WAGNER

BLADE SPORTS WRITER

Thad-Weber-pitches-against-Indianapolis-in-a-loss.jpg

Toledo's Thad Weber delivers a pitch to Indianapolis in the third inning. Weber had one of his best outings of the year, pitching a complete game and only giving up two runs, but his record fell to 5-9.

Fifth Third Field hasn’t been very kind to Thad Weber this season.

But Monday the Mud Hens’ home ballpark may have been the site of the cruelest trick played on Weber this year.

The right-hander threw Toledo’s first nine-inning complete game, allowing just eight hits and two runs to visiting Indianapolis. But the Hens’ offense struggled, and Weber was the hard-luck loser in a 2-1 setback.

“He was awesome, and we needed it,” Mud Hens manager Phil Nevin said. “Our bullpen was shot — we only had a couple guys available. He knew what he had to do going into the game.

“He made quality pitches, pitched to contact and used his defense, and was very efficient in what he did.”

In the Hens’ loss at Indianapolis Saturday the bullpen was stretched to cover the entire game, and that has affected the team’s pitching for the two games that have followed.

“[Nevin] let me know [sunday] that it would be me, and maybe [Chance] Ruffin or [Matt] Hoffman in the bullpen, and that was it,” Weber said. “I was looking to give us some innings and a quality start to help the bullpen out.”

Jeff-Salazar-fouls-off-a-pitch.jpg

The Mud Hens' Jeff Salazar swings and fouls off a pitch at Fifth Third Field. Salazar was hitless on the night.

And Weber did just that. He scattered eight hits and did not walk a batter, striking out four along the way. He didn’t even allow a runner to advance to second until the sixth inning, when the Indians scored their two runs.

In that frame, Jose Tabata doubled with one out, then scored on a single by Jordy Mercer. Then with two outs, Matt Hague doubled into the right-field corner and Mercer scored from first.

“His breaking ball was a plus pitch, and he commanded his fastball well,” Nevin said. “He threw everything for strikes.

“I think every pitcher is better when they are 0-1 instead of 1-0. But that had to be a shot in the arm for him.”

Weber threw first-pitch strikes to 26 of the 35 batters he faced and threw strikes on 79 of his 115 pitches.

“I thought I had a good mix out there,” Weber said. “I thought [catcher] Max [st-Pierre] did a great job behind the plate, and we were on the same page all night long.

“I thought my change-up was good, and I was able to locate the fastball with success.”

What made Monday’s start even more satisfying for the native of Friend, Neb., was that it came in sharp contrast to his previous struggles at Fifth Third Field this year. Entering last night’s contest Weber was 1-6 in 13 home starts with a 7.89 ERA, compared to a 4-2 record with a 3.41 ERA in nine road starts.

“Good starts here have definitely been few and far between at home,” Weber admitted. “It was good to pitch well to show the fans I can pitch well here at home.

“Hopefully I can use this moving forward.”

Unfortunately, the Mud Hens didn’t do much offensively against the Indians in support of Weber. While Toledo managed just three hits, the Hens still had plenty of opportunities to score thanks to 10 walks and one hit batsman.

The Hens’ lone run came in the fifth when, with two outs and no one on, Danny Worth walked, moved to third on a single by St-Pierre and scored when the throw to the plate on St-Pierre’s hit bounced away from Indianapolis catcher Jason Jaramillo.

The Indians snuffed out a third-inning rally when they pitched out on a hit-and-run play. Jaramillo caught a baserunner trying to steal in the fourth to hold the Hens scoreless in an inning where they drew three walks, then Toledo left the bases loaded in the fifth. In the sixth the Hens got back-to-back leadoff walks, but a sacrifice bunt backfired when the lead runner was thrown out at third, and a double-play ended the threat.

The Mud Hens finished with nine runners left on base for the game and were 0-for-6 when batting with a runner in scoring position.

“We had opportunities, we had runners out there,” Nevin said. “In a game like that, you have to execute. They picked me on a hit-and-run [and pitched out], and they made a great play on a bunt play.”

Weber spins gem but still gets loss - Toledo Blade

Inge helps Hens on his way back

Infielder homers, keys Toledo win

BY JOHN WAGNER

BLADE SPORTS WRITER

Brandon-Inge-Ryan-Strieby.jpg

Toledo's Brandon Inge, right, high fives Ryan Strieby, left, after hitting a home run against the Indianapolis Indians in the second inning Tuesday night

Brandon Inge is a Toledo Mud Hen -- for now.

Inge said before the Hens' 4-2 win over Indianapolis Tuesday that the Tigers promised him they would recall him to Detroit by the time major league rosters expand on Sept. 1.

The 34-year-old third baseman hit just .177 in 70 games for Detroit, the team he has played for since 2001, before he was taken off the Tigers' 40-man roster and sent to Toledo July 26.

Tuesday night Inge hammered a two-run homer in his first at-bat, a plate appearance that typified his new batting approach. He worked the count to 2-1 before taking a weak swing at a Ross Ohlendorf slider, but responded by driving the next pitch over the fence in left-center for his fifth home run with Toledo.

"I've felt great down here, just clearing my head and letting athletic ability take over," Inge said. "That [at-bat] was an example of how my head can get in the way.

"I took a bad swing on a slider, and I was able to realize how bad that swing was -- and laugh at it. Earlier [this season] I would have harped on it, and it would have put me in a hole. I realized you can take some bad swings, and it only takes one [good] swing."

Inge also singled in the fourth to finish 2-for-4 on the night, giving him a .308 batting average in 20 games with the Hens.

"What I see from Brandon is that his swing is more of a reaction than him having to cheat to get there," Hens manager Phil Nevin said. "I think the weakness from the illness earlier [in the season] forced him to cheat to get to some pitches.

"He can still get to a good fastball. He got the barrel [of the bat] to the ball with a good, short swing. It's the best swing I've seen him take since he's been here."

Inge said the time he has spent with the Mud Hens has prepared him for a return to the Tigers.

"Some times a change, whether it's good or bad -- and obviously it was bad for me -- can be a good thing," he said. "This has been good for me. The change in scenery allowed me to step back and take a look at what I've been doing.

"Some people would feel they were demoted and have to psyche themselves up. I put myself in this situation, and I've played long enough to realize what's productive and what is not. Moping around here is not productive.

"I've been told my whole life I can't do things. I decided to go back to Toledo and work things out, and in the back of my mind I thought, 'You just wait and see.' "

While Nevin enjoys what Inge brings to the team on both offense and defense, he also is pleased with the way Inge has helped the Hens off the field.

"He's been a pro," Nevin said of Inge. "He's having a lot of fun, and he's created a different personality in our [clubhouse].

"Guys who have been [in the big leagues] are looked at differently in the room. There are people in there who watch everything he does.

"He also feels as if he has some unfinished business up there, and that's the direction he is headed."

Inge said he takes the role of being a mentor to younger players very seriously.

"I take that as a compliment [when they watch me]," Inge said. "When I was younger, I would watch the older players.

"It's not fair to any of these guys if I set a bad example. It's not fair if I teach them the wrong way to do things. I don't want to mess them up. I want to show them the right way to do things."

Inge's home run helped tie the game at 2-2 after Indianapolis scored twice in the first off Toledo starter Fu-Te Ni, who gave up three doubles in that frame. After that Ni limited the Indians to just three hits before leaving with two outs and one on in the seventh.

"They didn't hit the ball hard," Nevin said. "Ni did leave some pitches up, but he was classic after that.

"He kept guys off-balance and used his defense. He throws strikes, pounds the zone, and uses his defense."

Toledo's winning rally in the seventh featured an RBI single by Max St-Pierre through a drawn-in infield that broke a 2-2 tie, and a suicide squeeze bunt by Will Rhymes that added an insurance tally.

NOTE: Tuesday was Ryan Strieby's 26th birthday. Strieby doubled in front of Inge's home run in the first. That hit extended Strieby's current hit streak to six games.

Inge helps Hens on his way back - Toledo Blade

Mud Hens beat Louisville 6-4

Guez's bat, Wilk's arm leads Toledo

BY MATT MARKEY

BLADE SPORTS WRITER

Ben Guez accounted for five runs and starting pitcher Adam Wilk allowed just three hits over his eight innings of work as the Mud Hens beat Louisville 6-4 Wednesday night in front of an announced sellout crowd of 9,749 at Fifth Third Field.

Guez came to the plate with the bases loaded twice in the first three innings, and delivered both times, driving in a pair of runs on each occasion. He later singled, stole a base and scored another run as the Mud Hens built a six-run lead through seven innings.

Hens manager Phil Nevin said he was not surprised by the performance of Guez, who Nevin said has been swinging the bat well recently.

"He's always aggressive at the plate," Nevin said.

The Hens jumped on Louisville starter Tom Cochrane in the bottom of the first inning, loading the bases on a pair of walks and a base hit. Guez singled sharply to left with two outs, scoring Will Rhymes and Ryan Strieby for a 2-0 lead.

In the third, Danny Worth doubled down the right field line, Strieby and Brandon Inge both walked to load the bases again, and Guez ripped a shot down the line in left for a double, scoring Worth and Strieby for a 4-0 Toledo advantage.

Meanwhile, Wilk was mowing down the Bats, putting Louisville down in order in three of the first four innings, while also striking out the side in the third. Wilk was especially crisp with his control Wednesday night, fanning nine while walking just one.

Nevin said Wilk located his pitches well and had the Bats guessing by mixing things up, which allowed Wilk to keep the Louisville hitters off balance.

"He seems to get better and better every time he goes out there," Nevin said.

The Hens gave Wilk some more breathing room with another run in the sixth as Guez singled, stole second, and advanced to third as the throw went into center field, and then came home on a sacrifice fly to right by Argenis Diaz. That pushed the Hens' lead to 5-0.

In the seventh, Worth tripled to the gap in right-center and then scored on a double by Timo Perez to give Wilk a 6-0 advantage.

Wilk said he felt he had been very efficient with pitch count, and worked ahead of the hitters all night.

"I got a lot of strike ones," Wilk said.

Wilk lost the shutout in the eighth when Louisville shortstop Kristopher Negron hit a drive off the fence in center and raced around to score as the ball caromed off the wall. That inside-the-park home run made it a 6-1 game, and the Hens' bullpen allowed a couple more home runs in the ninth to let things get interesting.

NOTES: The Hens ended their streak of wearing their blue jerseys and instead played in their home whites. ... Brandon Inge went 0-for-2 with two walks. With Inge's walk in the first, he has reached base in every game he has played in since rejoining the Hens. His streak is now up to 14 games. ... The last Hens' opponent to hit an inside-the-park home run was Nick Weglarz of the Columbus Clippers. He accomplished this feat on July 5, 2010

Mud Hens beat Louisville 6-4 - Toledo Blade

Hens rally to top Bats in 11th

Turner makes his debut with Toledo

BY JOHN WAGNER

BLADE SPORTS WRITER

Hens-rally-to-top-Bats-in-11th-2.jpg

Toledo's Argenis Diaz, left, is chased by teammates after he drove in the winning run in the 11th inning to beat Louisville last night. Diaz's fourth hit of the game scored Ben Guez from third base.

For Mud Hens starter Jacob Turner, his first Triple-A start didn't have quite the luster he expected.

But that's to be expected, since his previous start was his Major League debut with Detroit on July 30.

But Toledo made Thursday night's game a contest to remember, bouncing back from a 4-0 deficit and eventually claiming a 6-5 victory in 11 innings over Louisville in front of 10,500 fans at Fifth Third Field.

Turner allowed six hits and four runs in 5⅓ innings, walking two and striking out six in a start he said was, "OK."

"I wasn't commanding my fastball as well as I wanted to, which put me behind some hitters," Turner said. "But at the end of the day I left one pitch up -- and gave up a three-run homer. If you take that pitch away, it wasn't a terrible outing."

In the next breath, Turner said he needs to make some improvements in his next start.

Before the game Hens manager Phil Nevin said that start won't come until Sunday, Aug. 21 when the Hens host these same Bats at Fifth Third Field.

"Most times I have better fastball command, so that's what I'll be working on in my next bullpens," he said. "Keeping the change-up down in the zone will help me."

Hens-rally-to-top-Bats-in-11th.jpg

Top-prospect Jacob Turner struck out six batters in his first start with the Mud Hens.

Nevin liked what he saw from the 20-year-old right-hander, who began the year as the Tigers' top prospect.

"I saw a guy who hasn't pitched in 10 days, and who was a little rusty," Nevin said of Turner. "But you can see that the stuff is there.

"He can get good hitters out. They hit a couple of balls decently, but for the most point he kept the ball on the ground."

Turner walked the first batter he faced, Kristopher Negron, then gave up an RBI double to Chris Valaika on the next. But he quickly righted the ship and struck out the next three batters.

Then with two outs in the third he gave up back-to-back singles, then left a change-up high and Jeremy Hermida slammed it over the fence in deep right-center for his 15th home run of the year.

Turner, who rebounded to retire seven of the final nine hitters he faced after the home run, said he isn't feeling any pressure to hurry his development and return to the Tigers to help in a pennant race.

"I don't think anybody looks at it like that -- well, maybe the media looks at it that way," Turner said. "For me, I'm just trying to get better. I'm just trying to give my team a chance to win.

"Hopefully in the future I can just get back to Detroit."

The Mud Hens kept Turner from absorbing a loss by scoring twice in the fifth on a two-run homer by Clete Thomas, then scoring three times in the sixth thanks to a two-run double by Brandon Inge and a two-out RBI single by Argenis Diaz.

After Louisville tied the game in the top of the seventh, Diaz became the hero in the bottom of the 11th. Ben Guez and Clete Thomas hit back-to-back singles to put runners on first and third with no one out for Diaz, who collected his fourth hit of the night with a run-scoring single.

"It's a good way to get on the bus," Nevin said before the Hens began a busride to Allentown, Pa., to begin a four-game series against Lehigh Valley Friday night. "We were here a little bit longer, but it was worth it to get the win.

"Now we can get on the bus and relax, knowing we had a nice homestand."

NOTES: After the game, the Mud Hens sent RHP Lester Oliveros to Double-A Erie. His spot on the roster will be taken by LHP David Purcey, who will join the Hens Friday. ... Inge's double in the sixth extended his on-base streak to 15 straight games. ... Thursday night's sellout was Toledo's 24th this season.

Hens rally to top Bats in 11th - Toledo Blade

Mud Hens drop road contest

Inge goes 4-for-4 in loss to IronPigs

ALLENTOWN, Pa. -- Brandon Inge was the Mud Hens' star of the game Friday night's game, despite it being a loss for Toledo.

The third baseman went 4-for-4 -- including a two-run home run -- as the Hens lost 6-2.

With the first hit, Inge has now reached bases safely in all 16 games he has played since he was designated for assignment by the Detroit Tigers.

Mud Hens starter Andy Oliver bore down in the first inning by only allowing only one run to score on a sacrifice fly to center with the bases loaded.

Luck was not on the side of the Mud Hens in the third inning. With a runner on first and one out, an IronPig hit what appeared to be a routine double play ball to second baseman Will Rhymes. Rhymes tossed the ball to Hens shortstop Argenis Diaz. Diaz got the first putout, however, he threw the ball right into the runner sliding into second, allowing the inning to go on.

Lehigh Valley took advantage of their extra out as the next batter drove an RBI double to right. The following Pig smacked a RBI single to extend Lehigh Valley's lead to 3-0.

Down 4-0 in the sixth, Jose Ortega relieved Oliver and got off to a bumpy start as Cody Overbeck smacked a double to left center. Overbeck would advance to third on the next at-bat. Then, Rich Thompson hit a RBI sacrifice fly which gave Lehigh Valley a 5-0 edge. The IronPigs picked up their sixth run on the game on a broken-bat Erik Kratz RBI single.

Mud Hens drop road contest - Toledo Blade

Rain-delayed contest goes to Lehigh Valley

Nightcap suspended because of weather

ALLENTOWN, Pa. -- It took more than 24 hours and a few rain delays, but Lehigh Valley came away with a 2-1 win Sunday thanks to a ninth-inning home run by IronPigs first baseman Cody Overbeck.

The scheduled seven-inning contest was suspended because of rain for the second night in a row.

Toledo will bat in the top of the third inning Monday at 6:05 p.m. with a 1-0 lead. Argenis Diaz will be up to bat to begin the inning.

The first three and a half innings of Saturday's ballgame was a pitcher's duel. The Mud Hens' lone base hit was a double by Ben Guez in the second. Toledo starter Thad Weber was on his game as he scattered two hits in three innings of work. Weber seemed as if he was cruising to one of his best starts yet, however with Domonic Brown batting in the bottom of the fourth inning, the umpires were forced to halt the game for the night.

When Saturday's game resumed Sunday afternoon, Brayan Villarreal came in for relief. He left off from where Weber was as he pitched three innings of shutout ball.

In the bottom of the seventh, David Purcey made his Mud Hens debut, and the IronPigs scored as Kevin Frandsen's batted ball scored Freddy Gavis via a Ryan Strieby error.

With the Hens down to their final two outs, Jeff Salazar drove in Clete Thomas with a double to rightfield.

The game did not stay tied very long as Enrique Gonzalez threw a high fastball to Overbeck who smacked a walk-off solo home run over the right-centerfield fence.

Rain-delayed contest goes to Lehigh Valley - Toledo Blade