FloridaTigers

GOP Judiciary Committee Resolves to Put ‘In God We Trust’ on All Federal Buildings

Pensito Review GOP House Judiciary Committee Resolves to Put ‘In God We Trust’ on All Federal Buildings – What Will That Cost?

A little background: In 1782, the Founding Fathers chose as the motto for the United States, “E pluribus unum,” which means “Out of many, one.” In 1956, at the height of the Cold War, Congress passed a law making “In God we trust” the official motto, a move that was primarily meant as an insult to the godless communists who ran the Soviet Union. Founders Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin and George Washington as well as Abraham Lincoln, all of whom believed firmly in the separation of religion and the government and none of whom were particularly religious, have been spinning in their graves ever since.

Similarly, this new bill resolution from Rep. Forbes is really just a political goad directed at Pres. Obama, who recently cited “E pluribus unum” as the national motto.

I thought the GOP won the House based on promises of jobs to improve economy and jobs? Waste of money, as well as a violation of church and state. But hey, stick it to Obama!!1!11!

as a conservative, I am frequently surprised at what motivates the rank and file on my own side. As I'm sure the lefties on this board will honestly admit about their own side.

non-core is what I'd call this.

To be fair, the Judiciary Committee isn't charged with creating fiscal policy. But I wish they'd pay a little more attention to ... well ... getting some stinking justice for the people and a little less with window dressing.

no GOP is all about insulting -- commies and everyone else.

spend lots of money, that is fiscal responsibility go team dollar sign

Minor waste of money, but I can't see where it does any harm. It's a cheap way to get votes from whoever cares about it.

no GOP is all about insulting -- commies and everyone else.

spend lots of money, that is fiscal responsibility go team dollar sign

I don't think that the Democratic Party has any stones to throw relating to being insulting or spending money.

I'm sick of both of them. But we really don't have a viable third party.

I don't think that the Democratic Party has any stones to throw relating to being insulting or spending money.

I'm sick of both of them. But we really don't have a viable third party.

Reading this article I was thinking the same thing. Can we recall the whole lot of them?

I'm almost to the point I don't even want to see what's going on. It's bad for my blood pressure.

Yep, wouldn't want to insult the commies.

Much better than we insult the Constitution instead.

Nothing but a cheap political stunt. I wonder whether they'll take the money from CPB to fund it.

I'm just happy that we got that whole national debt, budget deficit, war in Iraq, war in Afghanistan, conflict in Libya, troubling mid east unrest, disaster in ally / economic partner in Japan, housing crisis, health care costs, piracy, education, and jobs issues all tied up so we could deal with this kind of issue.

This is ridiculous that time was taken to work up a resolution when so much else needs attention.

Aggravating.

Doesn't anybody in Washington GET it???

Founders Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin and George Washington as well as Abraham Lincoln, all of whom believed firmly in the separation of religion and the government and none of whom were particularly religious, have been spinning in their graves ever since.

Except for the fact that this is pretty much a baldfaced lie, I would challenge him and you to point out where the separation of church and state exists in the Constitution -- although he knows its not there.

But besides that, this falls into the "who cares" category.

I care.

I care because addressing this PRESSING ISSUE was a time-waster.

You should care based ion that too.

I know it's not the only time-waster down in DC , for sure, but let's call it what it is.

Minor waste of money, but I can't see where it does any harm. It's a cheap way to get votes from whoever cares about it.

The Republicans already have the votes of the people that this would impress.

It's not a minor money.

Except for the fact that this is pretty much a baldfaced lie, I would challenge him and you to point out where the separation of church and state exists in the Constitution -- although he knows its not there.

Wow, the whole "the clause separation of church and state doesn't exist in teh constitution" argument. That argument is so devastating that it completely destroys the couple centuries of constitutional jurisprudence suggesting that it's there.

I'll go ahead and presume you'd find this mysterious clause if the federal government decided it was time to turn to Sharia law.

Off topic, but why couldn't the mods have just deleted the accidental second thread instead of locking it? It makes it look like I intentionally would make two separate topics on this.

Off topic, but why couldn't the mods have just deleted the accidental second thread instead of locking it? It makes it look like I intentionally would make two separate topics on this.

I just assumed you were stupid...

That is the right answer, yes? :grin:

Wow, the whole "the clause separation of church and state doesn't exist in teh constitution" argument. That argument is so devastating that it completely destroys the couple centuries of constitutional jurisprudence suggesting that it's there.

I'll go ahead and presume you'd find this mysterious clause if the federal government decided it was time to turn to Sharia law.

No. I'd just let you argue it until you were beheaded.

I'm also pissed. I was planning on posting multiple cat pictures there.

Maybe they thought the second thread was the Rule 34 version of this one?

I'm also pissed. I was planning on posting multiple cat pictures there.

*sigh*

fine.

I'll delete it.

(damned if you do, damned if you don't.... if we delete, people ask "hey! what happened to XXX ?" )