FRM710

Michigan Basketball 2011/2012

Mitch McGary to announce next week.

Link click link for full story.

As for my recruitment, I’ve got some big news for you guys. T.J.’s not the only one committing next week.

I’m planning to make my commitment next week sometime too.

I can honestly say that right now I don’t know where I’m going so anything you read that says I do isn’t true. I already talked to my man Jason Jordan from ESPNHS and let him know that I want to do another blog before I make my announcement just to get all of my thoughts out and clear my mind so I can make the best decision possible.

At this point, I’m focusing on Florida, Duke and Michigan.

How awesome would it be if we could get McGary. I am not getting my hopes up, but I am hoping real bad that he chooses Michigan.

I'm guessing Duke pulls this one out, but it sure would be a huge boost to the program.

I have some optimism. McGary has mentioned more than once how he really wants the school he goes to have a good football program. Duke can sell itself on lots of things, fortunately football aint one of them.

Guess we will find out sooner than later.

Beilein has done a good job with this program. Recruiting is much better than what many imagined when he was hired.

Excited about where the hoops program is going.

bacari34 Bacari Alexander

Really like how quickly our rookies are picking up concepts. Every player has to play ahead of their class.

Beilein has done a good job with this program. Recruiting is much better than what many imagined when he was hired.

Excited about where the hoops program is going.

Even without McGary, Stauskas and GR III make for a very good class. I'll be interested if Beilein is considering playing either of those guys at point guard. Both are good ballhanders, and Michigan will not have a strong ballhandler other than Burke next year. I don't think Brundridge is ever going to be the answer at PG.

From espn

Next week, Mitch McGary (Chesterton, Ind./Brewster) will decide between Michigan, Duke and Florida. He officially visited each school except for Florida. “I think the kid’s getting kind of burnt out with it,” one college assistant said. “I think the kid’s going to Michigan.”

This is on the verge of becoming one of those rare full circle situations. A few weeks ago, the Wolverines were on the verge of getting a commitment from McGary; I believe that. At that point, a number of programs, sensing that Michigan was close, began chipping away. When a leader emerges -- as Michigan did -- it makes it easy for every school to see whom they have to beat and therefore the leader winds up under attack. A lot of times, the perceived leader never recovers and fades. In this case, Michigan appears to have overcome the objections and has itself positioned to nab the top power forward in the country next week. Now, here’s the caveat: this situation has changed before, therefore it could change again but right now it’s on autopilot and the guy flying the plane likes the Wolverines.

IF, mighty big IF, we get McGary, I hope the NBA adds this to the new agreement:

"The NBA is pushing to change the eligibility rules for the NBA draft. Currently, draft prospects must be 19 years old and must be one year removed from high school to be eligible. Now the NBA is pushing for a minimum age limit of 20 and a two-year waiting period after their high school class graduates. And parties on both the NBA and NCAA side view such a change as an entirely positive development

Link

IF, mighty big IF, we get McGary, I hope the NBA adds this to the new agreement:

"The NBA is pushing to change the eligibility rules for the NBA draft. Currently, draft prospects must be 19 years old and must be one year removed from high school to be eligible. Now the NBA is pushing for a minimum age limit of 20 and a two-year waiting period after their high school class graduates. And parties on both the NBA and NCAA side view such a change as an entirely positive development

Link

I like that too. I don't know if it will have any impact on the NBA, but it'll help college basketball tremendously.

I would almost guarantee that new age restriction will be including in the new CBA. It's a bargaining chip the union can give away without screwing its current members.

In hindsight I don't think this would limit McGary as I believe he is already 19.

According to the quote, he would need to be 20 AND 2 years removed from HS.

According to the quote, he would need to be 20 AND 2 years removed from HS.

Does prep school, where he is now, count as a HS?

McGary will announce at 5pm Thursday, I believe it will be on one of the ESPN channels; ESPNU perhaps.

More than a few non affiliated UM people saying that Michigan is the choice. Fingers crossed!

Loving that college basketball is starting again. Saw some highlights of Syracuse last night, just nice to see some action again.

As for McGary, I am highly anticipating tomorrow at 5, my hopes are kind of up at this point.

Mitch's Memos: D-Day looms - ESPNHS Boys' Basketball - ESPNHS

Mitch's Memos: D-Day looms

Next up you’ve got Michigan.

What I really like about Michigan is its coaching staff, especially Bacari Alexander. He’s probably one of the most underrated coaches in the country. He really knows what he’s doing with the big men.

I just like that I can trust the coaches there, and I actually like that they’re not on the biggest stage yet. That gives me the opportunity to go there and make a huge impact from day one.

A con for Michigan is that the Big Ten has a reputation for being a slow paced conference with slow big men who don’t really get out and run the floor at all. That’s not the way that I want to play so I’ve definitely got to take that into consideration. I know that if I went there it would help change the perceptions a lot.

You can read about the other schools at the link.

You can read about the other schools at the link.

From reading that article it appears that it is between Duke and Michigan, which is what everyone kind of though all along.

Hoping its Michigan.

It's going to be Michigan. His explanation of each team's cons was silly. Michigan's con was the big ten style of play? Please.

No less silly than his Duke explanation. Boozer, Parks, Lattener, Ferry, Brand, all did OK at Duke rebounding and setting screens.

No less silly than his Duke explanation. Boozer, Parks, Lattener, Ferry, Brand, all did OK at Duke rebounding and setting screens.

Except that's not the role he apparently wants and claims Duke has mapped a different course for him.