FRM710

Michigan Basketball 2011/2012

from umhoops.com:

Getting to Glenn RobinsonIII

Getting to Know Glenn Robinson III

DSC00105[1]We’ve posted updates, scouting reports and video of Michigan’s commitments and recruiting targets but in an effort go beyond the basketball court we’re debuting a new feature. In our new “Getting to Know” feature we’ll ask commitments questions about their day-to-day life, inspirations, hobbies and more. To debut this feature, we asked Glenn Robinson III about his motivation, favorite movies and music artists, his official visit to Ann Arbor, Mitch McGary and a wealth of other subjects.

What is something most people might not know about you?

”Most people probably would not know that I was born premature. I was born 3 months premature and only weighed 3 pounds at first. Doctors have told me that I am lucky to be around, let alone be 6-foot-6 and almost 6-foot-7.”

Does that make your athletic accomplishments like earning a scholarship to Michigan that much more special?

”Oh, definitely. It makes me feel blessed and helps me to stay humble at all times.”

What would you do on a day with no basketball activities?

”I’d get my homework done if I have any, hang out with friends and hang out with my teammates. I really like spending time with my teammates and getting to know them better off the court.”

What kind of music would I find if I check your playlist or iPod?

“I like to listen to a lot of Jay-Z. I like Lil’ Wayne, Big Sean, J Cole and Wiz Khalifa.”

What are some of your favorite TV shows?

“I don’t watch a lot of TV, but when I do, I like to watch ESPN and some reality shows.”

What are a few of your favorite movies of all time?

“Scarface, The Godfather and Cinderella Man.”

Do you play many video games?

“Yeah, I really like to play Madden and NBA 2k on PlayStation 3.”

What teams do you use on each game?

“I like to use the Heat and LeBron on NBA 2k and on Madden I like to play with Adrian Peterson and the Vikings.”

If you could pick any girl in the world to take on one date, who would it be?

“Beyonce.”

If you had to play a sport other than basketball, what would it be?

“I would play football. I played my freshman year, and I had 7 or 8 touchdowns as a wide receiver through the first 5 games, but I banged up my foot and stopped playing. I didn’t stop playing because I don’t like football, but because I just wanted to focus on basketball.”

Who are your favorite NFL players?

“Adrian Peterson and Chad Ochocinco.”

Who is the best player you have teamed up with on the basketball court?

“Mitch McGary.”

Who is the best player you’ve played against?

“Shabazz Muhammad.”

If you could create a five man team using yourself and four other players from any period in time, who would you pick?

“First I would choose my high school point guard Larry Payne, because we’ve played with each other for such a long time and are great friends. For the other three I’d have to say LeBron, Michael Jordan and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.”

Who would you choose coach that team?

“My high school coach Dave Milausnic.”

What is your favorite class in school?

“I’d have to say math or business. They go together because usually when you’re doing business it involves math of some kind. I think that is what I want to study in school and I want to own a business in life.”

What kind of business would you be interested in owning?

“I’m just interested in owning a business in general, but I’d have to say something to do with sports because I love sports.”

What is the best advice someone has ever given you?

“Coming into my freshman year of high school, my coach told me to just keep working hard and let everything else fall into place. He told me that he knew I’d become one of the top players in the country, but said not to worry about rankings, recruiting and what people say about me. He told me that throughout my high school career, and he ended up being right.”

Who is your inspiration or role model in life?

“I know people always say haters drive them, so I do kind of get some motivation from my haters. I look at recruiting rankings and use that as a way to motivate me to continue to get better and work harder. I also get motivation from my mom, my grandma and my coach. Those three have been with me all my life, or for a very long time and have always supported me and pushed me to work hard.”

What advice would you give to an incoming freshman basketball player with the chance to be a high-level recruit like yourself?

“I would tell him to not look at rankings and just to let everything fall into place. I would also tell him to make sure he makes his school work a priority because one of the first things colleges will look at are your grades. I would say what others think doesn’t matter, and just work hard no matter what.”

Do you ever feel pressure to succeed because of your father’s success as a collegiate and professional basketball player?

“Yeah, I would say I do a little bit. I don’t really feel pressure, but sometimes I think people try to compare us or compare our games and hype it up a little more than they need to.”

What advice has your dad given you about playing college basketball and dealing with comparisons to him?

“He just says don’t worry about him or what he did as a player. He says that it’s not about him anymore and to focus on working hard and being a successful player.”

If you had to give your coach or teammates a scouting report on your dad’s game, what would you say?

“I’d start off by doubling him in the post. Don’t let him catch the ball in the mid-range, and make sure you force him left and body him up.”

What happened the last time you guys played one on one?

“We played three times last summer. He beat me twice and I won one of the games.”

Continuing the theme of the day: from umhoops.com comes this little nugget(haven't seen this reported anywhere else so I don't know how accurate it is):

Underclassmen Notes

Drake Harris attended his second Michigan football game of the year, taking in the Wolverines thrilling victory under the lights. There has been plenty of speculation about Harris and Michigan State but getting Drake on campus for the first two weeks of the football season certainly speaks toward continued mutual interest.

it would be some kind of amazing to get a kid like McGary, even if it was only for a couple of years. (I know, it might only be one) Honestly, I'm not sure how much I'd like the one-and-done thing at Michigan.

Rob

Crisler arena gets a new face lift. Hopefully this puts and immediate end to the poor facilites argument.

Maize & Blue Views Phase One of Crisler Renovations - University of Michigan Official Athletic Site

University of Michigan Official Athletic Site - Athletics News

Regents approve second-phase renovations of Crisler Arena - The Michigan Daily

The second phase will be completed before the 2012-13 season.

Edited by benrush

Drake Harris will be attending his third UM football game this weekend. Kid is MSU's to lose IMO.

Some talk on Twitter that McGary said he will announce in a month.

Beilein and staff were at McGary's school yesterday and supposedly meeting with his parents this week as well.

SamWebb77 Sam Webb

Hearing john beilein is on west side of state tonight at drake harris' game

Recent Tweet from Dave Telep:

Dave Telep

If I were to set the odds, I'd install Michigan as the favorite w/McGary at this juncture. College recruiters concerned about UM the most

Sam Webb went berserk about McGary this morning. He emphasized that he had no inside info, but he had Michigan as the clear favorite.

He thought a decision in the next couple of weeks. Go Blue!

Apparently McGary is done with visits and will decide this month. Rumor has it is down to UM and Duke.

Things in UM favor no particular order:

1. close to home

2. good relationship with Novak and Douglas

3. best friends with UM commit Glenn Robinson III(plays on same AAU team)

4. friends Max Beifeldt(sp?) played on same AAU team. Max now at UM

5. Match up well academically with Duke.

6. Beilein and staff

7. New bball facilities/upgrades.

with that being said...I still expect Duke.

Other random things favoring Michigan include him talking about wanting a good football team at the school he chooses and the general value he places in having good relationships. As noted above he has established relationships in Ann Arbor. The other thing is I see an edginess about this kid that makes me think he would see himself a better fit at Michigan. Probably not fair since Coach K is no more straight laced than JB but the latter has less big-time history to measure.

Sounds like Beilein has a good thing going with that Indiana AAU team.

Interesting how the 2012 class is turning out. Izzo beat Beilein to 3 of his early targets, but Beilein might be the one with a top 3 class. Should be quite a rivalry on the court in the coming years as well.

Horford has high hopes for new season

Sophomore forward has added 30 pounds to his 6-9 frame, raising expectations

Link

By Chantel Jennings

WolverineNation

Archive

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- It had been a less than glorious freshman basketball season for Jon Horford.

He'd played in 29 games for the Wolverines but averaged less than seven minutes per game. Horford was skinny, and as a result, even at 6-foot-9, he wasn't able to be much of a force in the post, averaging only two points and two rebounds.

[+] Enlarge, Al Horford

Kevin C. Cox/Getty ImagesJon Horford admits the transition to college basketball was more difficult than he anticipated.

Even though he finished the season second on the team with 11 blocked shots (just eight blocks shy of Jordan Morgan, who had played more than four times as much), Horford had problems fighting for a spot on the inside against the more experienced Morgan and Blake McLimans, in coach John Beilein's four-guard offense.

But after the team had exited the NCAA Tournament, returned to Ann Arbor and life had settled down, Horford set up a meeting with the coaching staff.

"Jon came in and had the courage to meet with our staff last spring and expressed a desire to earn more opportunities," assistant coach Bacari Alexander said.

What the coaches told Horford was obvious: Continue working hard.

"He's got to earn his way onto the court, and he understands that," Beilein said. "He never wanted anything for free. He just wants to earn his way on to the court."

Horford was like most freshmen. He had raw talent, but he was still catching up to the speed of the college game. He was making silly mistakes, racking up 40 fouls in his limited playing time.

"It's not easy," Horford said of the transition from high school to college basketball. "I can't sit here and say it's not difficult. But you pick it up."

Because of the meeting, Horford decided to enroll in spring and summer classes. He lived in the dorms, but he spent most of his free time in the gym with the strength and conditioning coaches. At the advice of the staff, and in an effort to aid his body in gaining weight, Horford also dramatically changed his diet. He began eating four to five meals a day, then eating snacks between his meals.

And when he wasn't in Ann Arbor, Horford spent time training in Atlanta and Kentucky with his older brother Al, a center with the Atlanta Hawks.

As a result, Horford returned to Ann Arbor this fall 30 pounds heavier, weighing in at a team-high 250 pounds. It was the biggest body transformation Alexander had ever seen a player go through in just a summer. And players were surprised to see the changed Horford as well.

"I think the game's starting to slow down for him a little bit," senior guard Zack Novak said. "The kid, he's got one of the best work ethics out of anybody I've seen since I've been here. He's determined, really focused. I think he will improve continuously the whole time he's here."

Already, coaches have seen that improvement and change in Horford's on-floor demeanor.

"It's been exciting to watch him go on the floor and not get pushed around like he did last season," Alexander said.

Beilein said he's now working with Horford on becoming a more balanced player and waiting to see how he fits into what the team will be.

"He has a chance to be our best rebounder, we know that," Beilein said. "He probably has a chance to be our best shot blocker. He's probably got our best length of anybody. So he has three pretty good things going his way."

Just some tidbits from the first week of practice:

Still standing: Michigan's young freshmen guards surviving the early days of practice

One player who has been working the most with the freshmen guards is senior Stu Douglass. Douglass continues to work out at both the point and the shooting guard positions, and continues to insist that he'll play wherever Beilein puts him.

He also said both Burke and Brundidge have shown an advanced ability to handle the early moments of practice.

"They're soaking up everything that you give them," Douglass said. "I've been here three years and there's certain lingo that coach has, and I'll try to talk to Carlton that way. At first he looked confused, but now he's starting to pick it up.

"(The most impressive thing about them) is really how much they've picked up the offense and how well they've meshed so far, even in the first few days with the experienced guys."

Beilein said that through the early going of the team's workouts, sophomore forward Evan Smotrycz has been the group's top rebounder. Smotrycz said he put on roughly 36 pounds on his 6-foot-9 frame this offseason, up to 235 pounds. Beilein said it's Smotrycz could "probably play any position but point guard, in time, as he goes along. You just never know." ... Sophomore forward Jordan Morgan continues to expand his game after a breakout redshirt freshman campaign a year ago. Beilein said Morgan has shown "more lift" to his game athletically early on in camp. He also praised the improved athleticism of sophomore big man Jon Horford, who added 30 pounds this summer and is now up to 6-foot-9 and 250 pounds.

Sucks Darrius isn't here to be part of it, just doesn't make sense that he is wasting this season.