FRM710

Michigan Basketball 2011/2012

Zak Irvin commits to Michigan.

Couple of schools asked if it was possible to get in on him, yes it is was his response. One was MSU.

Not sure about that. MSU watched him a few times (mostly due to Harris), but never offered. We've got a number of other wing offers and "offers" out.

Not to say that Irvin isn't a very good get for Michigan - he is, but I tihnk it's pretty clear where MSU was looking to fill it's wing slot.

Not sure about that. MSU watched him a few times (mostly due to Harris), but never offered. We've got a number of other wing offers and "offers" out.

Not to say that Irvin isn't a very good get for Michigan - he is, but I tihnk it's pretty clear where MSU was looking to fill it's wing slot.

Agreed, if Harris commits they only have 1 spot for 2013. I think the only guy offered for 13 was Parker and Farmer. Although I doubt Izzo is taking any commitments at this point in time. I bet we have our first 2014 commit before we get a 2013 one.

Edited by MSUBrian11

It was a direct quote by Irvin, that Izzo called him and asked if it was too late for him to look at MSU. Wouldn't be the first time a kid exaggerated, then again, maybe it is the truth.

It was a direct quote by Irvin, that Izzo called him and asked if it was too late for him to look at MSU. Wouldn't be the first time a kid exaggerated, then again, maybe it is the truth.

I think that may well have happened - didn't mean to imply otherwise above...Over the last month or two we've seen Izzo's Gary Harris contigency plans start to emerge (Smith-Rivera ('12), and James Young ('13) are the two that jump out - neither with offers either - but clearly more "prioritized" than some others...Followed closely by Parker (who would get recruited regardless) and the latest Zeigler. Could Irvin have factored into that, 'what if Harris doesn't pan out' crowd...I don't see why not. Young man can play from everything I've heard/read.

Edited by lionstigersand...

Sam Webb confirmed that Irvin did indeed say MSU asked about him, but that doesn't make it true.

It's Michigan State .. hard to believe that a kid wouldn't take their interest seriously.

Beiliein has a good eye for talent and is adept at developing that talent. At WVU he rode that to an annual NCAA berth and a couple Elite Eights. Now with a rising program that has the Michigan brand behind it and new facilities as a selling point, the sky is the limit. Exciting times.

Mitch McGary is visiting UM for the WMU game. Long shot yes, but we have a visit.

Glenn Robinson plays on his AAU team with him. Max Biefeldt played for the same AAU team in the past. Zak Novak has worked with him as well. Point being there are existing relationships with current and future UM players, supposedly he and Robinson are very good friends.

His AAU coach was with McGary(and his mom)on his UM visit a few weeks back, visit went very well. New practice facility and crisler upgrades showing UM is committed to bball long term. Been a while since that was the case.

Edited by FRM710

Saw that the other day. Which means we will get a steady dose of Jay Bilas telling us why Michigan is over-rated and why Duke will be going all the way..yee haw

I like going down to Cristler for basketball games, I think it's a good college atmosphere.

Was stated on Detroit radio this morning that Morgan has increased his vertical by 4" and that Horford IS up to 250lbs.

Was stated on Detroit radio this morning that Morgan has increased his vertical by 4" and that Horford IS up to 250lbs.

It really is too bad that Morris went pro, this UM team could have been something. I am curious to see how we transition at the PG position. CBB is still far enough away where I haven't gotten to amped up about it, but I look forward to seeing how some of the players developed in the off-season.

Full article at link below.

Sam Webb: Recruiting

John Beilein's system could be deciding factor for 5-star Mitch McGary

The hottest basketball recruit in the country over the past six months has undoubtedly been Wolfeboro (N.H.) Brewster Academy big man Mitch McGary. In that time the 6-11, 250-pound Chesterton, Ind., native ascended from his place in the lower rung of the top 100, to his current ranking as the No. 1 center in the country, and the No. 2 player overall.

"I saw Mitch quite a bit as a sophomore and I would have never guessed he was going to be this good," said Scout.com national recruiting analyst Evan Daniels. "It has been a heck of a rise for him. His whole game has changed. He has really developed his skill set. He plays so hard and brings so much energy to the table that he has been able to be really effective. It has been a pretty unbelievable rise for him. He is a terrific player that continues to get better."

"We always knew Mitch was good — the question was how good," added Scout.com national recruiting analyst Brian Snow. "He really changed his body, got a lot stronger, and just became more consistent in everything he does. Mitch always had talent, but he didn't always know how to harness it, play hard and use it. Now obviously he does, and it's showing. He has transformed himself into a future NBA player."

From The Detroit News: Columnists | John Beilein's system could be deciding factor for 5-star Mitch McGary | The Detroit News

This is my favorite part of the article:

Brumm added: "John Beilein can flat-out coach. The people I talk to and the coaches I talk to, I'll flat-out tell you — they are scared of John Beilein. They are worried about the day he starts getting the talent that they've got (at their schools). He's been at a bunch of places that he couldn't recruit high-major talent. Now he's at Michigan and it looks like he is making some headway there. When he starts with an even slate in terms of talent, look out! Look what he did last year. Look what he did with Darius Morris, Timmy Hardaway, and look what he has done with Jordan Morgan. My goodness, isn't anybody paying attention?"

Maybe I am little more pumped for UM hoops than I thought. And since I will be living in Grand Rapids this winter I plan on making a few trips over to Cristler.

This is my favorite part of the article:

Maybe I am little more pumped for UM hoops than I thought. And since I will be living in Grand Rapids this winter I plan on making a few trips over to Cristler.

What part? GR is the hometown, although I haven't been back in some time. I am very excited about the hoops program.

I remember when Beilein was hired a lot of my msu friends claimed:

1. only recruits whites

2. won't be able to recruit talent

3. Detroit coaches won't like him

4. overrated as a coach sarcastically referred to him as TBCBCA(the best college basketball coach in America)

etc etc

He has surprised me

1. Changing his staff, guys he hasn't worked with before..most if not all them IIRC. Rare to see that.

2. Slight tweaking of his system to fit with Big Ten style of Play

3. Progression of players

4. His recruiting has gotten better every year.

While I don't think we get McGary but the program is still moving forward.

Hearing a lot of positives on T Burke performance in open gym, kid is going to be a good one. I think the team will do well this year.

What part? GR is the hometown, although I haven't been back in some time. I am very excited about the hoops program.

I remember when Beilein was hired a lot of my msu friends claimed:

1. only recruits whites

2. won't be able to recruit talent

3. Detroit coaches won't like him

4. overrated as a coach sarcastically referred to him as TBCBCA(the best college basketball coach in America)

etc etc

He has surprised me

1. Changing his staff, guys he hasn't worked with before..most if not all them IIRC. Rare to see that.

2. Slight tweaking of his system to fit with Big Ten style of Play

3. Progression of players

4. His recruiting has gotten better every year.

While I don't think we get McGary but the program is still moving forward.

Hearing a lot of positives on T Burke performance in open gym, kid is going to be a good one. I think the team will do well this year.

Agreed on all accounts of Beilein. When he first got here I didn't like his style, but he ahs tweaked it just enough to mesh with what you need to do to win games.

As for GR. I look to live right downtown. I am moving in two weeks. I went to GVSU for both my bachelors and masters, so I am very familiar with the area and consider it home.

Mitch McGary visited UNC and Duke this weekend and did not visit UK. Supposedly UM in his top three with some in his inner circle favoring UM. Still don't see it but here's hoping.

Mitch McGary visited UNC and Duke this weekend and did not visit UK. Supposedly UM in his top three with some in his inner circle favoring UM. Still don't see it but here's hoping.

Fingers crossed. From what I've read he's looking for great academics and a place where he has relationships with players and staff. Michigan has those bases covered. One of his closest friends is Robinson, Jr. and apparently his AAU coach is high on coach JB.

Edited by Truth

I am also very excited for the season, hopefully Burke can step in for Morris and help right away. Alot of talent on this roster though, should be fun to watch.

from Umhoops.com:

ESPN: Mitch McGary Updates Recruitment

mitch-mcgary-rivals[1]2012 target Mitch McGary updated his recruitment in a blog post on ESPN.com. The blog entry is the first update on McGary’s recruitment with direct quotes in sometime. McGary discusses his visits to Michigan, North Carolina and Duke and denies rumors that he made a commitment to any school. McGary notes that the fans stood out on his Michigan visit and also discusses his future plans for visits and in-homes. You can read the full update here but here’s a snippet:

Zack Novak was my host during my two days there and that was cool because he’s from my hometown and we played together during my freshman year. I loved the campus and loved the social life there. I definitely got a chance to speak with the coaching staff there and they just talked to me about how much they wanted me there and about how much of an impact I could make right away.

I would say that the part that stood out most about the visit was the fans and just how much love they showed me. I really wasn’t expecting all of that. People talk about the Cameron Crazies at Duke, but that’s how it was at Michigan too. Those fans showed me the most love of the three visits.

.. I still want to go to Kentucky, Maryland and Florida, but I’m not sure that I’ll get to those schools just yet. I’d like to get there, but we’ll just have to see.