FRM710

Michigan Basketball 2011/2012

Even Darius Morris, who was only at UM for 2 years, thinks their fans are toolbags.

"Once Morris declared, though, he experienced some backlash from fans who felt Michigan was primed to take a huge leap in 2011-12.

But, he felt he was prepared for the criticism. He saw it happen with former teammate Manny Harris, who left last year after his junior season.

'It didn't get to me, I experienced it all my life,' Morris said. 'You do think about it, when your biggest fans instantly turn on you. It comes with the territory with the Michigan fan base.'"

Detroit Pistons - NBA | U-M guard Darius Morris' pro stock rises at combine | The Detroit News

Michigan is clearly, hands down, without question, the best college basketball program in the state of Michigan.

However, Michigan State is recruiting well .. and I think we all know, it always starts with good recruiting :bandit:

I just hope Michigan can try and keep up, though since MSU best known for basketball, I fear that it won't last.

Wow, I am liking that. Top 10 rating for the Wolverines, nice job Beilein. Indiana looks to be putting together a strong class as well.

Mark Donnal 6'8 forward commited to UM today as did Austin Hatch 6'6.

Know very little about either player. Scout's analyst out of OH said that Donnal has a nice jumper out 15' can play facing or with his back to the basket. He is one to watch this season said to not be surprised to see Donnal's performance/improvement follow that of Glenn Robinson Jr.

IIRC Hatch was considering ND, VA, and UM. No idea if they were considering him :).

Well, I guess I have to take back my 'yeah I guess Darius Morris is making the right decision' change of heart

Well, I guess I have to take back my 'yeah I guess Darius Morris is making the right decision' change of heart

Very difficult for guards that are average athletes to crack that 1st round floor in today's NBA. Players that the league hopes can become another Andre Miller, typically have to show that they can be him first.

And I don't mean any of this as a knock on Morris...I thought he was excellent in college, and would have loved to have had a player with his mentality on MSU's roster.

Edited by lionstigersand...

Call it sour grapes, but I'm glad Morris didn't get drafted in the first round.

bacari34 Bacari Alexander

Wow Evan Smotrycz is diesel! I'm hearing 235lbs! Geeze! Jon Horford up to 250! Now that's exciting! Vogrich looks bigger/taller too. Yes!!!!

bacari34

Twitter

USA wins a close one. RT @usabasketball: Tim Hardaway, Jr. scores off a drive to give the U.S. a 80-78 lead with 47.1 left. Timeout Serbia.

Very difficult for guards that are average athletes to crack that 1st round floor in today's NBA. Players that the league hopes can become another Andre Miller, typically have to show that they can be him first.

And I don't mean any of this as a knock on Morris...I thought he was excellent in college, and would have loved to have had a player with his mentality on MSU's roster.

I'd be real curious to know who gave him what advice to make him decide to leave, assuming there were no problems at U of M, which I don't think is the case. I get the exploring, and had he been sure fire first rounder, absolutely, jump. But now where is he? He's gotta fight to make a roster, and if he doesn't.....is the NBDL better development for him than owning the Big Ten next season?

I think Morris certainly felt that he'd go 1st round at the time he left. He had a lot of good workouts and teams that liked him all over the mid to late 1st. However, like someone said, not being a stud athlete dropped his potential in the eyes of many I think. Guys like Reggie Jackson and Cory Joseph(puke) went ahead of him based on "potential". That is the type of pick many like late in the first, but not me. I think Morris is very safe. He doesn't have elite athleticism, but he certainly has good NBA athleticism and like I've said, he's the best passer in this draft period. Not close at all and I haven't seen disagreement from really anyone. He's got all the things that scouts seem to put on the back burner and that is why he'll be a steal years from now. I really think he'll play some minutes for the Lakers if there is a season

bacari34 Bacari Alexander

Wow Evan Smotrycz is diesel! I'm hearing 235lbs! Geeze! Jon Horford up to 250! Now that's exciting! Vogrich looks bigger/taller too. Yes!!!!

bacari34

This is good news. I'm really excited for Smotrycz. Very talented kid and a great fit for the system. Him,Morgan and Hardaway are more than capable of carrrying this team IMO. A bigger Horford is something I've been looking forward to as well. If he can become a dependable 3rd big for us, we have a very good frontcourt. PG will be iffy, but I love us at the other 4 spots and the bench.

I'd be real curious to know who gave him what advice to make him decide to leave, assuming there were no problems at U of M, which I don't think is the case. I get the exploring, and had he been sure fire first rounder, absolutely, jump. But now where is he? He's gotta fight to make a roster, and if he doesn't.....is the NBDL better development for him than owning the Big Ten next season?

His best chance of going in the first round was this year. Nothing he was going to do his senior year at UM was going to make him more athletic, that was always going to hold him back. This year there were a large number of potential 1st round picks that were likely to go well ahead of Morris that decided to avoid any possible NBA labor dispute (sorry, I mean they decided they loved college so much they had to come back and try to win a national championship) that Morris would have been pushed back even farther next year.

This was a weak draft and he still went in the 2nd round, which tells me he's a 2nd round talent .. oh well. There is nothing wrong with that. There are quite a few players that became good players from that round.

Hey, at least he was drafted ... some guys weren't even drafted. Had he not been drafted, that would hurt.

Edited by JonBenke

I think Morris certainly felt that he'd go 1st round at the time he left. He had a lot of good workouts and teams that liked him all over the mid to late 1st. However, like someone said, not being a stud athlete dropped his potential in the eyes of many I think. Guys like Reggie Jackson and Cory Joseph(puke) went ahead of him based on "potential". That is the type of pick many like late in the first, but not me. I think Morris is very safe. He doesn't have elite athleticism, but he certainly has good NBA athleticism and like I've said, he's the best passer in this draft period. Not close at all and I haven't seen disagreement from really anyone. He's got all the things that scouts seem to put on the back burner and that is why he'll be a steal years from now. I really think he'll play some minutes for the Lakers if there is a season

But he doesn't have good NBA athleticism'...He has below average NBA athleticism. What he does have: decent length, great patience, good passing ability etc...

The problems that he'll experience at the next level are two fold (and the bigger issue is that they magnify each other): he can't shoot, and he can't blow by. At the guard slot, in the NBA...Tough to overcome those kinds of deficiencies. Now, regarding his jumper, there's the potential and possibility of improvement on that front - frankly, it's going to be a prerequisite for Morris.

Hey, at least he was drafted ... some guys weren't even drafted. Had he not been drafted, that would hurt.

Sometimes it's more advantageous not to be.

His best chance of going in the first round was this year. Nothing he was going to do his senior year at UM was going to make him more athletic, that was always going to hold him back. This year there were a large number of potential 1st round picks that were likely to go well ahead of Morris that decided to avoid any possible NBA labor dispute (sorry, I mean they decided they loved college so much they had to come back and try to win a national championship) that Morris would have been pushed back even farther next year.

I'm not disagreeing on his athleticism, but one thing he would have going for him, if he developed his left hand dribble, is that he has the basketball moxie to negate a lot of that athletic deficit. If he was a threat to go to his left even 60% as much as he is dangerous going to his right, I think it would make a huge difference.

While a certain level of athleticism is required, I think after a certain point, it goes back to basketball skills. You didn't see too many of Pitino's Kentucky players having huge NBA careers did you? He was all about athletes first, then see if he can get them to play basketball.

I just think it's a shame, it's a gamble that didn't pay off. Hopefully he can develop his left hand dribble. I think he'll be a solidly serviceable NBA player if he can.

Sometimes it's more advantageous not to be.

Oh, it can happen with success ... I'd love to know the success rate though.

You only ever hear/read about the ones who make it.

Ones not drafted rarely make it right away. They almost always have to play in Europe for a few years or now the D-League maybe.

Oh, it can happen with success ... I'd love to know the success rate though.

You only ever hear/read about the ones who make it.

The success rate of players not drafted AND second round selections are both not very high. Through the '06 draft, something like 30% of the players selected in round 2 never played in an NBA game.

Now the NBDL and the last NBA CBA has helped mitigate some of that, but we won't have a good feel for at least a few more seasons.

He would have never been a lottery pick but had he stayed in school, developed a consistent perimeter game, his left hand and his defense, I think he would have been a first round pick. The Michigan program is on the upswing, he would have had plenty of attention and opportunity. As it is, he has so many weaknesses in his game that there really was nothing to offset his lack of athleticism. Even his play making skills are slightly suspect to me because of Beilein's system.

Hardaway Jr. is having a nice tournament in Lativa. He appears to be the 6th man and getting starter minutes for the USA team. He is playing down the stretch and appears to be playing well.

I think he could do some really good things this coming season at UM, which could also mean his last year in the Maize and Blue.