FRM710

Michigan Basketball 2011/2012

JohnNiyo John Niyo

Michigan hoops makes it official: Darius Morris is going pro and not coming back

--

So depressed

A stupid decision by a good player from Michigan, boy these never get old.

Eh, it can go either way it seems. Marcus Taylor went pro and it hurt him,

Durrell Summers and Kalin Lucas came back and it did nothing for them, probably dropped them if anything. Its a tough call.

I am quite sad about it though. This had a chance to be the most special basketball team at UM since the Fab Five, at the very least the group after the Fab Five(Taylor,Traylor,Bullocks,Fife etc.). I think we were one of 4 teams with a chance to take the Big10 next year.

We still should be a very good team, but our PG play will hold us back in the end. Hardaway is a star and will carry us to some good thigns and the development of not only Morgan but Horford down low will be huge. Novak and Douglas are going to have to be huge as leaders.

Last but not least. MORRIS TO THE PISTONS YES PLEASE THANK YOU SIR!

I know, but that means almost nothing at this point. Teams just started individual workouts last week. A few good showings in those and he could easily move up.

While he does have some holes in his game, they are all things he can learn and work on. You can put him in a gym for 6 hours a day working on his jumper and left hand. He possess something you cant teach and thats the ability and instincts to play the PG position. That is a huge advantage for him.

Draft picks in the 20's are often sold for cash. I would have no problem with the Pistons buying a pick to use on Morris.

Well, we definitely don't want to draft more than 2 players(unless stashed in Europe) this year, so trading 33 plus our other 2nd pick would surely get us in Darius range if he goes in the 1st.

Surprising, but you guys still got a lot of talent and should compete for a BT title. Some kids just don't give a crap at all about college and want to get to pros as soon as possible (Marcus Taylor). Good luck to him, even if it seems odd...

That's okay, we don't care about basketball anymore, we got Hoke and that's all that matters.

This is a big loss for you guys, it's going to be hard to repeat your 9-9 magical season.

75397-nelson_haha2.jpg

That's okay, we don't care about basketball anymore, we got Hoke and that's all that matters.

This is a big loss for you guys, it's going to be hard to repeat your 9-9 magical season.

75397-nelson_haha2.jpg

Keep it in your pants. I'm a Spartan, but no need to flip your **** here...

It hurts but it also addresses one of the early Beilein criticisms; Beilein players don't go to the NBA. We now have one of his recruits leave early for the NBA draft, a player that wasn't ranked in the top 100 coming in.

Talent level is improving in AA and next year we could go through this with Hardaway.

Double edge sword.

75397-nelson_haha2.jpg

Relax man, you need to wait until MSU is good at basketball again before you do these things. That's why I still have to admit Brady Hoke sucks and MSU will probably crush us again in football, that's the facts until proven otherwise.

That's okay, we don't care about basketball anymore...

This is pretty lame.

As far as Morris goes, I have seen some mocks that have him goin' to San Antonio late 1st round.

We'll see, but I wish the kid nothing but the best ... hope it works out for him.

That said, Trey Burke ...... kid, hope you're ready:)

Well, we definitely don't want to draft more than 2 players(unless stashed in Europe) this year, so trading 33 plus our other 2nd pick would surely get us in Darius range if he goes in the 1st.

Well, this isn't the NBA thread. But 2nd round picks aren't guaranteed so those don't matter really.

Mgoblog mentions that German may be an option now that Darius is officially leaving - Patrick Heckmann.

That would make me feel a little, tiny bit better. But he better be Dirk!

Heckmann looks like a very intriguing prospect. I would be very excited if Michigan signs him.

It's tough to predict what this team does next year without Darius. They need a guy that can break down a defense. That could be TH Jr or Burke, but it's hard to imagine either of those guys being as effective at it as Morris, but we'll see.

Well, this isn't the NBA thread. But 2nd round picks aren't guaranteed so those don't matter really.

ok, not my point at all though.

Honestly, it was going to be pretty tough to get minutes for all the guards next season. We will take a hit in 2011-12, but the experience gained by Burke and brundlidge will go a long way to making them a better team in 2012-13. Of course, hardaway will probably leave early at this rate.

Honestly, it was going to be pretty tough to get minutes for all the guards next season. We will take a hit in 2011-12, but the experience gained by Burke and brundlidge will go a long way to making them a better team in 2012-13. Of course, hardaway will probably leave early at this rate.

Everyone will leave early, Evan Smotrycz will be playing for KK Crvena zvezda in the fall of 2012

Hardaway needs to improve quite a bit if he's going to be taken in the draft. I don't see that happening next year.

Hardaway needs to improve quite a bit if he's going to be taken in the draft. I don't see that happening next year.

I hope he doesn't leave, but with the improvement he showed from the beginning of last season to the end - he could possibly make another big leap next year.

he was a lot more impressive than first year Morris, who just left us after year 2. Just sayin'. Hardaway looked pretty damn impressive to me. He showed the ability to be a go to, take over scorer, has 3 point range, good athleticism and ice in his veins

Twitter

Darius Morris looked really, really good in workouts today. He's got a great work ethic and attitude. He's going to be a first rounder.

Hardaway will be the next to go after next year. It's the way of college basketball nowadays.

Hardaway will be the next to go after next year. It's the way of college basketball nowadays.

Exactly. UM just needs to continue recruiting well enough to turn these guys over and still compete.

That's the NEW college basketball.

75397-nelson_haha2.jpg

Thats pretty lame...especially since by any possible measure UM had a better season than MSU did last year and even with losing Morris they still return more than State does.

Thats pretty lame...especially since by any possible measure UM had a better season than MSU did last year and even with losing Morris they still return more than State does.

Such is the sarcastic license that is granted a Program...As opposed to a season. Or even 3, as I'm sure any number of Michigan Football fans on this board will happily explain to you.

As bad as I wanted him back, I'm proud of him and excited to see him in the pros. Great attitude and work ethic will take him a long ways. A lot farther than athleticism will take you. He's a very good pass first PG and that's always hard to find and his jump shot shows potential for improvement. He has good size and defensive ability as well. No reason he shouldn't be a first rounder in a poor PG class IMO. He's not ready, but he's worth investing in at the end of the first, especially with the D league available now. He might get some Euro seasoning before his NBA career too if there's a lockout.

Such is the sarcastic license that is granted a Program...As opposed to a season. Or even 3, as I'm sure any number of Michigan Football fans on this board will happily explain to you.

Trust me, the irony is not lost on me. Going to a school with roughly half msu grad and about a quarter michigan grads I find it funny how the same argument gets flipped right now during football/basketball season. You know its fun playing devils advocate with them, I always bring up how they used the exact opposite argument during football season (both sides) and both want to argue how its different. MSU argues they have been better 2-3 years and Michigan only 1, and Michigan argues that historically (to them means since mid 1980s) their basketball team has been better than MSU football so its more likely they can keep it up. Its rather funny and I enjoy antagonizing both sides.