FRM710

Michigan Basketball 2011/2012

I think he comes back.

A second round pick is not worth it, especially when he could be a lottery pick if he returns.

I think he comes back.

A second round pick is not worth it, especially when he could be a lottery pick if he returns.

Its not that easy, this year is a pretty weak draft class. And with all the players staying, he will have more competition in next years draft. Not sure his draft position would be much different this year v. next year unless he has a monster year due to the talent difference in this year v. next years projected draft classes.

Okay, let me put it this way ... everything I keep reading, says he could be a lottery pick if he returns.

I keep reading that he's a late second rounder, if he goes now ....... and I agree, so I think he'll stay.

Okay, let me put it this way ... everything I keep reading, says he could be a lottery pick if he returns.

I keep reading that he's a late second rounder, if he goes ....... and I agree, so I think he'll stay.

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but first of all most have him high second from what I can see. Also anyone COULD be a lottery pick if they improve a lot, but you have to look at the strength of the classes of players he would be going against. I think he would benefit coming back another year, but I dont think its as cut and dry that he'd automatically go from a high 2nd round pick to a lottery pick just by coming back. Doesnt always work that way, look at Lucas for example, projected high 2nd round pick as a SO, now wont even get drafted likely.

You make good points, and I'm going on the fact that the 2nd round isn't a guaranteed contract -- big gamble.

Even in a strong class next year, even if he goes late first, that's a guaranteed contract.

EDIT: good point on Lucas, though I think we all know Morris is far superior.

Will there be an NBA season 2011/2012?

Which is the other part of the equation, frankly, and why so many players are staying. A second round pick, so non-guaranteed contract as Benke says, and you're not playing? Barring injury, I can't see the downside in his case to staying one more year.

Some guys have nothing to gain by staying, and I'm all for them going. If Morris can develop his left hand *at all*, he gets a ton of benefit. Plus he knows he will be playing. But right now, it looks like a decision with a whole lot of downside, and not a lot of upside.

Morris has declared for the draft, but has not hired an agent. If he decides to go through with this, it would be a worse decision than Manny's.

I think Manny kind of made it clear when he was leaving that he wasn't doing it because he thought he would go high in the draft. I think he simply decided he was ready to start getting paid, whether in the NBA or Europe. In the end, it worked out pretty good as he made an NBA roster for most(all?) of the season and started some games. Sure it's Cleveland, but nobody thought he'd start games even for a terrible NBA team.

The PG position in Beilein's system is, from what I've read and heard, not easy to learn. Morris sure struggled as a freshman and I'm not sure Burke wouldn't go through the same thing.

No doubt, but we have good talent at all 4 other positions and we have a legit go to guy in Hardaway Jr. I'm not saying it wouldn't hurt, but I don't think we are going to fall completely off the map without him either

DraftExpress Jonathan Givony

Darius Morris has decided to keep his name in the draft and will not be returning to Michigan, according to a source close to the situation.

DraftExpress Jonathan Givony

Darius Morris has decided to keep his name in the draft and will not be returning to Michigan, according to a source close to the situation.

Well...nevermind then. Damn. Wish him luck, but I just don't think he's ready.

This is kind of odd. Chad Ford just said Morris pulled out of the draft workout in New Jersey.

I posted the tweet not as a fact that Morris IS gone, more the point that we don't know what he is doing.

There seems to be more rumors out there that he is going than staying yet they are all rumors.

What is the cutoff date, the 7th or the 8th?

Umhoops is convinced he is gone. I think the deadline is Sunday night.

Cant call it stupid yet. If he is a 1st round pick it was the right move.

He's not considered a first round pick by most people, if he turns out to be one it's a lucky break, unless of course the NBA is locked out all of next year which could still happen.

He's not considered a first round pick by most people, if he turns out to be one it's a lucky break, unless of course the NBA is locked out all of next year which could still happen.

I know, but that means almost nothing at this point. Teams just started individual workouts last week. A few good showings in those and he could easily move up.

While he does have some holes in his game, they are all things he can learn and work on. You can put him in a gym for 6 hours a day working on his jumper and left hand. He possess something you cant teach and thats the ability and instincts to play the PG position. That is a huge advantage for him.

Draft picks in the 20's are often sold for cash. I would have no problem with the Pistons buying a pick to use on Morris.