FRM710

Michigan Basketball 2011/2012

Smart move by Morris and honestly, we still have a really nice team if he does leave. However, odds are he will be back considering his draft stock and the lockout situation. He isn't Manny where he is simply ready to move on to professional basketball. Still, without him we throw Burke into the lineup and hope the vets can get him through his growing pains. Morgan,Smotz and Hardaway can carry us, Douglas and Novak are there as the role players and hopefully Horford steps up as advertised.

I do think Morris will be a really good NBA PG, but not just yet. He needs another year of running the show to work on the intricacies and of course to improve his shooting. Scouts seem to like his ability as a shooter, but he has to refine it and improve his range.

However, if he somehow does decide to leave, I want him on the Pistons. I don't care how many guards they have. He has good size, he's a pass first player with great vision and he can defend NBA PGs.

Listening to Cowherd this morning on the way to school, he addressed the topic of whether or not this season is now the norm with the upsets by the no name schools.

He says no, and in doing so mentioned the teams that he thinks will be "exceptional" next year. These were, in his words, big name programs with tons of guys returning.

Ohio State, UCLA, Kentucky, and yes, Michigan. The national media is starting to show some love. Hope we can live up to it next year.

The only thing keeping Morris at Michigan is the lockout. Even that might not do it. I think he's probably gone.

The only thing keeping Morris at Michigan is the lockout. Even that might not do it. I think he's probably gone.

He's not being projected anywhere near the 1st round.

I think he will come back and 100% go pro after next year. How many players who aren't Manny Harris go pro to be drafted in the 2nd round with no guarantees of not ending up in Europe or Asia somewhere?

Edited by pyrotigers

I'd add jump shot and quicks to that list.

I think he will come back and 100% go pro after next year.

This is what I think as well.

I keep reading, could be a lottery pick if he stays ... ugh ... that's better than "maybe" a second round pick.

If he is seen as a lottery talent next year, then he'll probably go pro this year. If he's a lottery talent, eventually someone will take him and stash him for a year. Lottery talent doesn't usually fall to the 2nd round, a year early or not.

He's ranked in the early 2nd round area right now, but remember that he wasn't on most people's map at the beginning of this year. He kind of crept his way into the picture throughout the year, especially with the team's strong push at the end of the year. I think with more review of his game tape and a look at him in postseason camps, his stock may go up significantly. Throw in the fact that it's a thin draft especially at PG and a handful of guys may go back to school and he may move into the 20s rather quickly.

I think he's still pretty likely to come back,but people seem to misunderstand the process and his stock. Hopefully he likes it here and likes the team we will bring back and recognizes he needs to fine tune his game. He'll never be super athletic, so he has to be extra sharp to succeed. Add a jumper and get even better at running an offense and defending and he'll be a really good prospect.

Something like this could move Morris up.

DraftExpress: Testing the NBA Draft Waters May Never Be the Same

Either way, a large number of players will be forced to make career-altering decisions with an impossibly small amount of information on May 8—something that benefits no one.

With that in mind, brainstorming has begun on a new concept that could solve these issues for the parties most negatively impacted: NBA teams and NCAA underclassmen.

The solution, which is awaiting approval from the NBA League office, is a group workout for draft-eligible prospects conducted in the last weekend of April that will be open to all 30 NBA teams. The New Jersey Nets , in a joint-bid with the Houston Rockets and New York Knicks, are hoping to host this event at their practice facility in East Rutherford.

Ideally this workout will feature as many top draft prospects as are willing to attend—not just underclassmen who are “testing the waters,” but also seniors and international players. Measurements and athletic, combine-style testing will also likely be conducted.

The prospects may even be able to compete in five-on-five action, if the teams involved in the bid get their wish.

Link

Last week was good for two of the area's top junior boys basketball players. OK, it was very, very good.

Lake Central's Glenn Robinson III and Bowman Academy's DeJuan Marrero were named to the Indiana Junior All-Star team. They will play against the Indiana All-Star team in June.

Robinson, who has verballed to play at Michigan, was selected as a Core 6 All-Star. He will play in both games against the seniors. They will be played at Washington and Kokomo.

Marrero, who is undecided, was named as a North All-Star, meaning he will only play in the game at Kokomo.

"It's a big honor," Robinson said. "I've been working very hard since last year because I really wanted to make this team. Not only did I make the team but being on the Core 6 means even more. I get to play in both games.

Good stuff. I think we can survive without Morris. I don't want that, but if it happens, we aren't totally screwed IMO. With Morgan,Smotryczy,Novak,Hardaway and Burke starting and Douglas,Brundidge,Horford,Vogrich and Christian/Biefeldt as our bench, we are plenty deep,versatile and talented.

Good stuff. I think we can survive without Morris. I don't want that, but if it happens, we aren't totally screwed IMO. With Morgan,Smotryczy,Novak,Hardaway and Burke starting and Douglas,Brundidge,Horford,Vogrich and Christian/Biefeldt as our bench, we are plenty deep,versatile and talented.

Morris will be back IMO.

The PG position in Beilein's system is, from what I've read and heard, not easy to learn. Morris sure struggled as a freshman and I'm not sure Burke wouldn't go through the same thing.

The PG position in Beilein's system is, from what I've read and heard, not easy to learn. Morris sure struggled as a freshman and I'm not sure Burke wouldn't go through the same thing.

I think what you read is pretty accurate. The system takes some time and patience to learn. Morris' decision is huge for this program, they need him for one more year, more importantly for Morris, he needs Michigan for one more year.

Anyone heard anything on Morris lately?

Morris has declared for the draft, but has not hired an agent. If he decides to go through with this, it would be a worse decision than Manny's.