Shinma

Ozzie.

I understand the argument against Osgood in regards to getting into the hall of fame, but I don't accept it personally IMO. The man belongs there for being the backbone of a dynasty. Yes, the personal awards are not there, but a dominant hockey team won the Cup 3 times and came very close other times with Ozzie in net. This, to me, is a no-brainer.

I think the Wings fans on this forum are great and very knowledgeable, but is anyone willing to argue against Osgood being in the HOF? If so, I truly admire you because you're not alone.

Edited by jonjd

I understand the argument against Osgood in regards to getting into the hall of fame, but I don't accept it personally IMO. The man belongs there for being the backbone of a dynasty.

I am going to go ahead and disagree with the claim the Chris Osgood was the backbone of the Red Wings dynasty. That would be Yzerman or Lidstrom.

How different would his legacy be if they had won game 7 in 2009? Fair or not I think it's a huge gap. That's just how perception works in sports.

He's another one of those athletes in Detroit that span such different parts of my life. I'm about the same age as he is. When he failed that clearing pass in 1994 I was on a pizza delivery run, in college at the time, living at home. Seems like 3 lifetimes ago.

How different would his legacy be if they had won game 7 in 2009? Fair or not I think it's a huge gap. That's just how perception works in sports.

He's another one of those athletes in Detroit that span such different parts of my life. I'm about the same age as he is. When he failed that clearing pass in 1994 I was on a pizza delivery run, in college at the time, living at home. Seems like 3 lifetimes ago.

I think it is a big gap, which is part of the reason why I don't like relying much on legacy / perception for HoF induction. It seems to me most HoF inductees that are later viewed as regrettable selections got in, in no small part, due to legacy / perception at the time they were inducted.

So what's the dial-in number for this conference call? :grin:

What I've picked as my favorite Ozzie moment. Serving drinks out of the Cup to Wings fans in a crowded Cheli's after the '08 victory parade.

I think it is a big gap, which is part of the reason why I don't like relying much on legacy / perception for HoF induction. It seems to me most HoF inductees that are later viewed as regrettable selections got in, in no small part, due to legacy / perception at the time they were inducted.

HHOF Veterans' Committee 30 years from now: "Wasn't Osgood the goalie who won a couple of Cups, won 400 games, and bit the head off of a bat?"

Edited by lordstanley

And it wasn't his fault they lost Game 7, but that would have cemented him in the Hall Of Fame. If Hossa could have just scored a couple more goals in that series.......

Wings, do the right thing and retire #30 - He deserves it.

I really liked Cujo when he was in Toronto.  One thing did bother me though, he had to flip his stick over to handle the puck, because he was a right handed shooter, and that was problematic.  Was quite the change when Eddie Belfour came in after Cujo and was a little smoother handling the puck.

I believe Ozzie  was in net for the Islanders when the Leafs beat them in the first round, this must have been 02-03 ish.