Shinma

Ozzie.

Well, Ozzie is done, I think. No confirmation anywhere, just a feeling I have. I feel that if the Wings had more cap space he would've already retired and moved to the front office. As it is now, it seems like he is allowing the Wings to keep him LTIR'd to get his cap relief and to possibly make a deadline move.

So if this is it, and he has played his last as a goalie for the Wings, I just have to give a ton of respect to him. Three time Cup winner.(should've been 4, stupid Pens...) 400 game winner. All around awesome guy as well as you will see below in the vids I could find for him.

I also posted a couple full games at the bottom.

_JKodtEp0N0

A2aVpwCZ1Ho

idxsluKdomE

r_eTQMAelu8

JkUNGWH1Jzg

Ozzie shuts out the Pens in Game 5 of the 09 Finals:

http://player.longtailvideo.com/player.swf?file=3_415_pit_det_0809_Whole_h264_sd.mp4&streamer=rtmp://cdncon.fcod.llnwd.net/a277/e4/u/nhl/svod/flv/

Ozzie shuts out the Jackets in Game 2 of of Round 1, 09:

http://player.longtailvideo.com/player.swf?file=3_162_cbj_det_0809_Whole_h264_sd.mp4&streamer=rtmp://cdncon.fcod.llnwd.net/a277/e4/u/nhl/svod/flv/

Ozzie gets career shutout #50 against the Bruins in a regular season game in 09:

http://player.longtailvideo.com/player.swf?file=2_198_bos_det_0910_20091103_FINAL_hd.mp4&streamer=rtmp://cdncon.fcod.llnwd.net/a277/e4/u/nhl/svod/flv/2009/

Edited by Shinma

Well we could certainly use him now.....Wings have no credible backup to Howard.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Well we could certainly use him now.....Wings have no credible backup to Howard.

The wings have a credible backup, unfortunately it is Howard.:cheeky:

While he's been hurt, he has made a few trips to Grand Rapids to watch the Griffins play. Not sure if what he is doing constitutes as scouting, but the people I talked to about it says he does the same thing as Maltby and Chelios.

Joey Mac's numbers are better than what Osgood's this year, and I think I'd take Joey Mac over Osgood this year any day of the week.

Joey Mac's numbers are better than what Osgood's this year, and I think I'd take Joey Mac over Osgood this year any day of the week.

LOLWUT.

Ozzie:

5-3-2 .903sv 2.77gaa

Joey Mac

2-3-1 .910sv 2.49gaa

...and for comparisons sake:

Howie:

29-10-3 .907sv 2.80gaa

LOLWUT.

Ozzie:

5-3-2 .903sv 2.77gaa

Joey Mac

2-3-1 .910sv 2.49gaa

...and for comparisons sake:

Howie:

29-10-3 .907sv 2.80gaa

I don't understand, don't those numbers back up what he was saying?

Osgood's injuries are far worse than even he thought. I think he's done, but I also think that if the Wings can't find a suitable trade deadline backup, they would like to have Osgood's experience come playoff time (as the backup). This is a big playoff for Jimmy Howard. But with the heavy long-term commits to Zetterberg, Franzen and Datsyuk and the very high salaries of Lidstrom and Rafalski, they can't afford a lot of money for a goalie.

I don't understand, don't those numbers back up what he was saying?

Yeah because .028 gaa .007 sv pct improvements are SO much better as to warrant an "any day of the week" statement.

If that were the case, Joey Mac would start every game hes better than Howard in both of those departments too. But hes not, because he isn't good. He's only in the bigs because of Ozzies injury.

Whether or not his stats are better than Osgood's, there are zero days of the week you would want to rely heavily on him to be your goaltender. It really is that simple.

I feel bad for the guy that he has never truly gotten the respect that he deserves. Had they won in 09, he is a lock for the HOF. Now, I am not sure but regardless, the guy did a lot for the Wings and if he is indeed done I will harbor no ill will towards the guy.

I would prefer him back because I am not fully confident that Jimmy can make a full playoff run.

I feel bad for the guy that he has never truly gotten the respect that he deserves. Had they won in 09, he is a lock for the HOF. Now, I am not sure but regardless, the guy did a lot for the Wings and if he is indeed done I will harbor no ill will towards the guy.

I would prefer him back because I am not fully confident that Jimmy can make a full playoff run.

As has been said many times, I think the fact that he was a Red Wing is why he doesn't get the respect. It is easy to assume that being the last line with such stellar teams in front of you that any bump on a log could have done similarly.

P.S. I don't agree with that sentiment.

Grant Fuhr

GP- 868

W-403

L-295

T-114

Min-48,945

GA -2,756

SO-25

GAA-3.38

SV PCT.887

PLAYOFF PCT .900

Chris Osgood

GP-744

W-401

L-216

T-95

MIN-42,564

GA-1768

SO -50

GAA-2.49

SV PCT -.905

PLAYOFF PCT .916

If Grant Fuhr is in the Hall Of Fame, then Chris Osgood should be. Look at that team Fuhr had in front of him.

If Grant Fuhr is in the Hall Of Fame, then Chris Osgood should be. Look at that team Fuhr had in front of him.

Not sure how this factors in, but Fuhr did play 10 years without that team versus 9 years with them, a difference of ~20 games in favor of the non-Oilers side.

Edited by RipHam23232

Putting Fuhr into the HoF was a mistake, IMHO, so he reallt oughtn't be the standard by which other goalies are measured for consideration for induction.

NHL Watch

Chris Osgood, G, Detroit Red Wings

2011/02/20: The Detroit Red Wings are expecting Chris Osgood (groin) to start practicing on Tuesday or Wednesday. Osgood has been out of action since January 7 and underwent sports hernia surgery. He has been skating and faced a few shots in goal on Friday but practicing will be a big test for the veteran goalkeeper. If things do not go well for Osgood this week, the Red Wings may be forced to deal for a backup netminder for Jimmy Howard by the Feb. 28 trade deadline. Stay tuned as Osgood will likely get into four or five games the rest of the way if he is healthy.

Putting Fuhr into the HoF was a mistake, IMHO, so he reallt oughtn't be the standard by which other goalies are measured for consideration for induction.

Hey, you win 400 games, you should probably be in. Simple as that. It's like winning 300 games or getting 3,000 hits in baseball.

Hey, you win 400 games, you should probably be in. Simple as that. It's like winning 300 games or getting 3,000 hits in baseball.

So Curtis Joseph is in, no questions asked?

So Curtis Joseph is in, no questions asked?

Just wanted to say I didn't realize he was fourth all time in wins. I knew he racked up quite a few, didn't realize it was to that tune.

Yeah because .028 gaa .007 sv pct improvements are SO much better as to warrant an "any day of the week" statement.

If that were the case, Joey Mac would start every game hes better than Howard in both of those departments too. But hes not, because he isn't good. He's only in the bigs because of Ozzies injury.

Osgood is not very good anymore, and has been struggling for the past few years. My any day of the week comment goes farther than just his stats. Joey is younger, cheaper, and is putting up a little bit better stats.

Never debated or questioned the reason why he's on the Wings instead of back down with the Griffins. And I certainly never said he was even good or better than Jimmy, I'm only talking about the backup role.

Just wanted to say I didn't realize he was fourth all time in wins. I knew he racked up quite a few, didn't realize it was to that tune.

Yup, and he has a pretty big margin in the win column on Chris to boot.

There were 4 contemporary goalies of Chris' with many, many more wins than he (Joseph, Belfour, Roy and Brodeur), and a 5th that was clearly a better goalie (Hasek). I just don't see how Chris stacks up all that well when comparing him against goalies of his era when considering his case as a HoF goaltender.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

If Howard gets injured in a playoff game with Joey Macdonald as the backup, then Babcock will be the first coach in NHL history to pull his goalie with 35 minutes to go and play with 6 attackers the rest of the way.

If Howard gets injured in a playoff game with Joey Macdonald as the backup, then Babcock will be the first coach in NHL history to pull his goalie with 35 minutes to go and play with 6 attackers the rest of the way.

LOL. I don't think Howard has been that bad. What has been bad is the porous Wings defense that has left Howie out to dry far too often. And in the last four games Howie has been quite good and so has the D. Funny how that works. As far as Ozzie being bad, he's done real well since coming from the Blues in the playoffs. Remember he had an awful regular season in 08-09 but was solid through the finals. If Joey sees ice time in the playoffs, it will be because both Howie and Ozzie are hurt.

Edited by Greenwit