bighev

Miggy gets DUI

I don't. Why should I root for a guy like Cabrera or Hamilton? They made there choices. I'd rather root for a guy like Ordonez who quietly does his job. If Cabrera wasn't a baseball player, no one would care about him. People would want him in jail. Nobody would root for a person like Cabrera. Hell if Inge or Peralta did this we'd want them hanging from trees. I don't have any sympathy for Cabrera.

Are you kidding me? If Inge did this he would become mayor of Detroit.

How many games was LaRussa suspended?

true. And Loiza was drunk doing 120 in Oakland. And Dontrelle got a DUI. And none of those guys got suspended, so you have a point. But didn't he knock his wife around last time he got busted? And now he's fighting cops? Seems like the league would want to do something about it.

If no field sobriety test were administered (and it sounds like one was not) and if the evidence on which they are prosecuting the DUI is a blood test via blood drawn 30 minutes+ after the fact, then, yes, that blood test results can be challenged by a wiley defense lawyer on the basis of his client having consumed alcohol in between the time he was last known to have been operating the vehicle and the time the blood was drawn.

Theoretically...yes. But that is a very flimsy defense, to say the least.

In a court, it's not about what everyone knows (luckily), but about what can be admitted into evidence and what weight that evidence is given (see the Drew Peterson murder case in which they are tangling over hearsay).

If the defense can bounce Cabrera's blood test, the prosecution has a much more difficult time proving their case. You got witnesses who saw him drinking at the bar and then get into his vehicle and drive off? Well, wow much did they see him drink? Were they drunk? Are they sure he was drinking vodka and not ice water with lime? Are they sure there was rum in those rum and cokes? BAC in a DUI case is even better than DNA in a murder case.

Edited by downinthezone

Nevermind...

your comments proved my points earlier in this thread. too many people, apparently you're one of them, expect athletes today to be more than what they are...

I think we are in a cyclic thing. I wouldn't disagree that part of where we are today is an equal and opposite reaction to such cultural icons of previous decades as the Rat Pack, Doris Day being alluringly tipsy on film, Foster Brooks, and the Hemingway/Fitzgerald meme of the alcoholic artistic genius.

Watch a Thin Man movie. The drinking to excess is considered cute. I'm no expert, but it seems like drinking was much more glorified in movies during the first couple of decades after Prohibition ended.

your comments proved my points earlier in this thread. too many people, apparently you're one of them, expect athletes today to be more than what they are...

I don't think it is out of line to expect athletes to put themselves at high standards. For their performance, more than anything. Even though it isn't affecting his performance right now, it could down the road.

I don't think it is out of line to expect athletes to put themselves at high standards. For their performance, more than anything. Even though it isn't affecting his performance right now, it could down the road.

I expect the highest standard from him on the field, I'd agree with you there.

Once the news arrived at 9:05 a.m. today, a tranquil spring training complex named Tigertown turned into a shaken, frightened, uncertain community dealing with a crisis the Tigers could not begin to fully fathom.
- Lynn Henning

Lynn sure makes Lakeland sound like it's Ground Zero.

- Lynn Henning

It is. I'm sending bottled water and cheerios to help.

- Lynn Henning

Unfortunately for the Tigers, so goes Cabrera, so goes the season. Which isn't that big a deal, I suppose. Leyland and DD now have a ready-made excuse for not making the playoffs and some other players will get more PA in the bigs as a result.

The players it hurts the most (besides Cabrera) are guys near the end of their careers, like Maggs, for whom this could be their last season in MLB.

- Lynn Henning

Henning is overly dramatic and a hack.

Listening to the guys on the Ticket and reading comments like Hennings and Morosi's, the media seems to be making this out to be a bigger deal than what the consensus (to the extent there is one) here seems to be.

Henning's job is to sell newspapers and drama sells. We talk about him more than any other writer, so he must be doing something right.

true. And Loiza was drunk doing 120 in Oakland. And Dontrelle got a DUI. And none of those guys got suspended, so you have a point. But didn't he knock his wife around last time he got busted? And now he's fighting cops? Seems like the league would want to do something about it.

I have to agree. While I don't want to see Miggy suspended, the league (or the Tigers) need to make sure he either WANTS help battling his problem. (if he has one) Drinking in itself isn't a problem, many people do it every day. It's when it has an effect on your health, marriage, job or with the police that the red flag is waved. And now he's had a marriage problem and 2 police problems. When do the Tigers step in? After he injures somebody? And not just with his car, but by being drunk. Somebody decides he can get rich by suing him, sees him drunk and goads him into a fight. Cabby is a BIG guy and could seriously hurt somebody in a brawl. And don't think this doesn't happen, it's a common occurrence. Especially these days with instant communication. Hell, back when I was a kid (and even until several years ago) if you saw somebody stoned out of their mind driving, you couldn't do anything about it. These days, most people have cell phones. One call to the cops and you're busted!

Henning's job is to sell newspapers and drama sells. We talk about him more than any other writer, so he must be doing something right.

Talk about em, but dont read him based on his writing. I would rather the News hire someone worth reading.

Listening to the guys on the Ticket and reading comments like Hennings and Morosi's, the media seems to be making this out to be a bigger deal than what the consensus (to the extent there is one) here seems to be.

Leonard Little crashed his car because he was intoxicated and killed another women in St.Louis. I think it is a big deal and I think the media is right to make a deal out of it.

I don't think it's a big deal at all. Not at all. Some bad choices, yes. Inopportune timing, yes. Not ideal, sure. But nothing that is going to ruin the 2011 season. Nothing that I can see that puts Cabrera's long-term career in jeopardy.

If he has a problem (which is not a foregone conclusion), he'll get treatment. If he doesn't, they'll probably still make him get treatment. Then he moves on. He's probably not even going to miss any of the season. He's human, he makes mistakes. We all do. This is a non issue.

Henning & Morosi are paid to make a big deal out of this. Particularly at a time when there is nothing else to write about. Fans are morons in general and lemmings at best, ready to run off whatever cliff Henning/Morosi point them at. Run lemmings, run!

He lost the 2009 AL Central championship with his poor play the final week of the season. He nearly won game 163 by himself. At that point I was thinking: what a great story of redemption.

Having been around alcoholics all my life, I've learned never to trust them with kids, money, cars, or your heart. (that last part put in for dramatic effect)

He lost the 2009 AL Central championship with his poor play the final week of the season. He nearly won game 163 by himself. At that point I was thinking: what a great story of redemption.

Having been around alcoholics all my life, I've learned never to trust them with kids, money, cars, or your heart. (that last part put in for dramatic effect)

Really? Not to open up a can of worms here... but I can think of at least 6 things above Miguel Cabrera that lost us the AL Central in 2009.

1) Leyland starting Alfredo Figario against the White Sox

2) Metrodome Lights (Don Kelly dropped ball)

3) No call on Inge's hit Jersey

4) Raburn's pathetic LF dive for the ball

5) Aubrey Huff's .170 average

6) Jarrod Washburn is a bum

t But didn't he knock his wife around last time he got busted? And now he's fighting cops? Seems like the league would want to do something about it.

Joint promotion with UFC? Cabrera cage match with Milton Bradley.

I come from a family of alcoholics. I'm around it daily(or was before college). It can truly be a debilitating disease. Yes, a disease. I feel sorry for anyone that cannot control their own demons(whether they are famous or an everyday man/woman), and wish them the best to hopefully recover. Some of my favorite memories have been with uncles and grandpas that just cannot seem to put down the bottle.

Maybe it was a mistake for my parents to trust them with me, but I will treasure those memories forever.

Also, I don't believe one player loses one game, let alone a whole week of games..

Leonard Little crashed his car because he was intoxicated and killed another women in St.Louis. I think it is a big deal and I think the media is right to make a deal out of it.

And there was that relief pitcher for the Cardinals who died when he rear-ended a truck while driving under the influence and trying to light his bong while texting one of Jim Edmonds' stripper friends. I seem to recall the cops tracing the time of the crash to within seconds of Hancock either sending or receiving a text message. I think maybe he hit send and then crashed. Dangerous stuff, texting-while-driving.

We don't know that "his problem" had anything to do with his poor play or not. Did he never previously have a bad week? What about in 2010, did he never have a bad week?