bighev

Miggy gets DUI

Because it's sad when someone who has so much going for them fall victim to something that goes against them and is a continual battle. It's not that we feel invested in the individual to some regard, it's more because we are all people, and truth is, if no one cares a lot more people will fall by the wayside.

It does get people fired. Just because the six people you know weren't doesn't mean others aren't.

I agree it's sad to see this, but I also find it a bit creepy some people (not just people here in this case, but in A LOT of cases) get so involved in lives of people they don't even know. He's a baseball player. Not a saint.

Who cares? I am officially done talking about this. Feels good to get something out of your system 4 hours after you hear about it. I feel better about it now than I did when I first heard about it.

Have fun with the discussion guys (seriously it is just discussion let us all realize that what we say means nothing in the long run)

I liked what you had to say throughout. I understand where you're coming from.

I preferred talking about the other Tigers topics we were discussing all winter. Other than Justin Verlander hurting his shoulder, this is probably the last thing I wanted us to be talking about on this board this morning.

I think there's a ton of stuff that could be worse than this. An off-field incident involving a guy who will end the season with MVP-type numbers, regardless, is not something I'm going to lose a lot of sleep about.

Zero days

This. Why in the world would MLB suspend him? Silly White Sox fans...

As others have pointed out, you can't force an addict to stop for any reason other than for themselves. It won't work. He has to admit he has a problem.

I used to work with a guy who was an alcoholic. I never knew him when he drank. I didn't even know he had a problem. One time somebody asked him out to bar with us. He declined. The next day we had a long talk and he told me he hadn't had a drink in 20 years. He said he was an alcoholic, even though he hadn't had a drop in all that time. He made a choice not to drink any more and stuck with it. Not for his job, not for his family and not for the courts. But for himself. Free will.

Does Miggy have a problem? I don't know, I don't know the man. But there are some major warning signs that just maybe he does. I hope he gets his act together, just for his own health. Forget baseball or the money he makes. If he has a problem, get him the help he needs. If he takes the help, good for him. If he refuses any help, again, it's his decision. Free will.

I agree it's sad to see this, but I also find it a bit creepy some people (not just people here in this case, but in A LOT of cases) get so involved in lives of people they don't even know. He's a baseball player. Not a saint.

I see where you are going with this, but as you may have said in your post, I don't think that is the case here.

Why do you care about the personal life of a man you don't even know?

Getting arrested is NOT someone's "private life". Being arrested for criminal lawbreaking is by definition a public act by public officials to deal with behavior that society (through the law) has determined is damaging to the public good.

Gets people fired and ruins lives? I know half a dozen friends that have had at least one DUI, none of them have lost a job, nor are any of their lives in shambles.

Generally speaking if you have multiple DUIs you are at serious risk of losing your license to drive at minimum. Some do jail time.

I know several people, including those with civil servant protections, who have lost their jobs for this kind of thing. Their marriages were destroyed too, and they have bounced from job to job, trying to find jobs at half of their former salaries.

I don't know if you're saying that DUI is not a big deal, but it is a very serious problem that should be treated seriously by those who commit DUI and by their family/friends.

We crucify professional athletes MORE than the Average Joe on the street. Average Joe gets busted for DUI, it's not on the front page of every paper, it's not all over the website.

Average Joe doesn't make the papers because that doesn't sell papers. I would be happier if I never knew about any of the foibles/failures of my favorite athletes; I don't wish to see them fail, nor do I want to judge them morally.

However, any athlete with half a brain knows that they are public figures who are paid a lot of money to perform in public and there are a lot of people who simply like to see rich/famous folks humiliated; and there are lots of people who want to see them avoid punishment for the sake of their favorite player/team. Both groups are out of whack, IMHO, and create a strange bubble of immunity and publicity for athletes and their occasional criminal dalliances.

Can he really be charged with DUI? He wasn't witnessed behind the wheel. At most, it seems that he can be charged with an open container, maybe public intoxification, and resisting arrest. And maybe his driver's license gets suspended for refusing to blow.

That's interesting.

So if they did draw blood I wonder if he deliberately swigged from the bottle in front of the police to taint the blood test. (Considering he likely got some legal advice about how to deal with DUI type situations back in '09).

That is, while they can say that he had a BAC of whatever at the time of the blood test his lawyer could argue that that's the result of the drinking done in front of the police and that his client was relatively sober earlier if he's determined to have been operating the vehicle. In which case his only crimes would be open container and being a jerk to the pigs.

Interesting point.

On the baseball side - regardless of whether this is a one time fall off the wagon, or just the facade falling off a deception Miggy has been managing on the world, as a multiple offender I don't see how the Tigers will have much choice but to force him into a rehab program just on league demands and liability grounds alone. I don't like the odds he's playing opening day.

In which case, bottom line opening day the lineup shift will be Boesch or Thomas or even Strieby getting the PAs left behind by Miguel - which will probably be a worse drop off for us than losing Morneau was for Minny last yr. Defensively, with Martinez at first, Ordonez mostly at DH and a set of younger legs in RF, they are probably marginally better - small comfort there.

And - Most importantly for MTS readers, they will be able to pinch hit for Avila without losing the DH! :alien:

Getting arrested is NOT someone's "private life". Being arrested for criminal lawbreaking is by definition a public act by public officials to deal with behavior that society (through the law) has determined is damaging to the public good.

Come on... it's off-field, that's what he meant. It's probably going to have nothing to do with his on-field performance.

Hearing about this incident has caused a lot of mixed emotions to well up for me.

There are any number of people that were alcoholics and perforemd very well in a number of different fields. Winston Churchill,William Faulkner, Peter O'Toole, and Micky Mantle immediately come to mind. FWIW, Churchill lived to be 90.

I disagree with one comment that every family has drunks.

We don't have drunks in my family, but we have had more than our share of schizoprenics.

Personally, I think I would rather deal with a drunk.The lucid moments might be more predictable.

Given Miggy's age and history, I seroulsy doubt he ever dries out. That being the case, the proper thing to do is to get himself a driver/handler to see to it that he doesn't at least drive drunk.

As for Miggy staying or going, I am sure DD knew what he was getting into when he traded for Miggy. Maybe, he knew more than we think because it certainly makes signing VMart look that much more opportune.

Edited by HeyAbbott
spelling

Zero days

This. This will be spun into a "feel good story" by the end of next week, and all will be forgotten.

Cabrera will then go out and hit .320+, with 35+ HRs, 120+ RBIs .... and all will be forgiven.

DUI. Resisting arrest. I'm going to say 90 days.

You'd be foolish to think so, and that's literally the nicest way I can write that.

Sounds like everyone knows Cabrera has a drinking problem (and has had one for a long time) except Cabrera:

The Tigers were aware that Cabrera had a drinking problem — though perhaps not on this level — when they acquired him from Florida in 2007 and signed him to the mega-money contract.

If 3 months didn't work last time, I doubt 28 days this spring will do any better. Let him play, let him drink--Just don't let him drive or beat women or what have you.

Cabrera shows we don't know these guys - MLB News | FOX Sports on MSN

how long do you think he'll be suspended by MLB?

I don't think he'll miss any time at all due to jail, suspensions, treatment or anything else. Hopefully, the worst thing that will happen is that we'll have to read about it all spring.

The biggest concern might be long term. If Cabrera does not take care of himself, it could hurt his productivity later. It's a lot easier to get away with stuff when you're in your 20s than when you're in your 30s.

We'll have to disagree here. His issues, are his issues, or those DIRECTLY involved in those situations, not me, you, or anyone else a thousand miles away.

As a Tigers fan, I just feel he's paid to help us win baseball games, and he's done that and until that changes I'm not overly concerned with whatever else he does with his life. I know that makes me sound as an insensitive monster, but if I spent time worrying about any and everyone I'm remotely connected to, or know of, I'd never have time for anything else in my life.

Can he really be charged with DUI? He wasn't witnessed behind the wheel. At most, it seems that he can be charged with an open container, maybe public intoxification, and resisting arrest. And maybe his driver's license gets suspended for refusing to blow.

Florida, like many states, has specific statutory law that makes finding you in the situation Cabrera was in (allegedly intoxicated, inside a vehicle with keys in ignition and no one else around) a DUI, even if you're in the passenger seat.

Have to love White Sox fans and their wishful thinking. It's very unlikely he gets suspended. No real precedent for things like this, however...and that could very well make it even less likely he's suspended. Minuscule chance, if that.

This. This will be spun into a "feel good story" by the end of next week, and all will be forgotten.

Cabrera will then go out and hit .320+, with 35+ HRs, 120+ RBIs .... and all will be forgiven.

It won't be a feel good story by the end of the week. Nothing good will come out of this story. I do agree he'll probably put up great numbers again this year and he will be forgiven. It just won't happen this week.

Does Florida have the "get out of jail early due to overcrowding" program California has? So 90 days translates into a long weekend or two in the can.

Might be better for the Tigers for Miggy to cop a plea and spend a couple weekends in jail than to try the diversionary rehab, suspended sentence route.

What was LaRussa's sentence?

It won't be a feel good story by the end of the week. Nothing good will come out of this story. I do agree he'll probably put up great numbers again this year and he will be forgiven. It just won't happen this week.

I said next week ;)

I think he'll come in, meet with the players, make a statement ... admit to having a problem, ask for help ... and from then, the support he'll get, coinciding with another MVP season, will turn into a feel good story, and all will be forgiven.

I think a point some are making is that "100%" for Cabrera might involve (require?) that he be able to drink as much as he likes. Nothing wrong with that, from this baseball fan's perspective, until he decides to get behind the wheel or engage in other illegal behavior.

Ok...there lies the problem. imo, if some in here are making that point...that just pathetic. Here's what pisses me off-everyone's human and makes mistakes...but your a future hall of famer and all-star. Still at the prime of your career and pulling this crap...when's enough, enough?!

Also, cabrera is playing for a team that just started getting back to their winning ways 5 years ago (minus 2008). This is not the best thing to happened for him or a team who is trying to get back to proving other teams that their getting better again. Last but least...last I check children do come to the ballpark and watch games-not to mention on tv...cabrera being a hero and all...what does behavior set them.