SpartanValor

2011 Michigan State Football

Charlie Gantt will play in the league. I was very surprised he didn't get drafted. I imagine Eric Gordon and Mark Dell will find NFL work in the near future too (assuming the league gets its act together).

Did anybody know that Ross Weaver actually made the Cowboys roster last season? I was shocked to learn that. Why he wasn't made into a ball-hawking free safety always bewildered me...

From 24/7, sounds like MSU is gonna make a tradition out of season openin night games the Friday before labor day. On the docket for 2012 boise state, and now 2011 too.

Sean Scherer 834 posts

Spartans Open 2011 Football Season With Friday Prime-Time Game

The Big Ten Network will televise Michigan State’s Sept. 2 home game against Youngstown State at 7:30 p.m. EDT.

EAST LANSING, Mich. – Michigan State will kick off the 2011 football season against Youngstown State on Friday, Sept. 2 at 7:30 p.m. EDT in Spartan Stadium. The 2011 season and home opener will be televised nationally by the Big Ten Network. Michigan State’s first-ever meeting against the Penguins was originally scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 3.

It marks just the 10th night game in the 88-year history of Spartan Stadium.

“We’re extremely excited about this special opportunity to kick off the 2011 season with a nationally televised game against Youngstown State,” MSU Athletics Director Mark Hollis said. “Over the years, fans have expressed increased interest in kicking off our home football schedule with a Friday night game on Labor Day weekend. We believe it will be a positive experience for our entire fan base, including the student body, and we couldn’t pull something like this off without campus-wide cooperation.

“Since Michigan (K-12) schools don’t begin fall classes until after Labor Day, the vast majority of high school teams will play their football games on Thursday that week, making this a great way for our fans to kick off the holiday weekend. By moving the Youngstown State game to Friday night, it’s also our hope that the state tourism industry will receive a positive bump since most fans will now have the opportunity to make plans to enjoy the entire Labor Day weekend.”

“We applaud Michigan State’s decision to move its game and clear the Labor Day weekend to promote holiday travel in Pure Michigan,” Vice President for Travel Michigan George Zimmermann said. “Now, Michigan State fans will be able to enjoy both a great football game and a great Pure Michigan holiday weekend in our spectacular state.”

Last October, Hollis announced MSU will open the 2012 season on Friday, Aug. 31 against Boise State in Spartan Stadium.

Michigan State is 5-4 in its nine previous prime-time TV appearances in Spartan Stadium, including last year’s 34-31 overtime victory over Notre Dame as holder Aaron Bates completed a 29-yard touchdown pass to tight end Charlie Gantt off a fake field goal.

The Spartans enter the 2011 season with a streak of 102 consecutive live TV appearances (games televised regionally or nationally since November 2002).

Hollis is a smart sonuvabitch...

It is a dumb game, but instead of being buried on Saturday afternoon on BTN with probably seven other dumb games, MSU we'll be the only game on that Friday on BTN.

So this is why you guys come troll Michigan threads. Theres nothing here to talk about. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ :knocked:

Watching QB Camp with Gruden on ESPN, and I cant wait to see Cousins go through this next year. Love it.

Gruden is just a dude that loves football. Mildly creepy, but I find him hilarious.

None of our best defensive players are seniors...

I like your defense goin' forward, you have a few really good prospects.

Losing Cousins will hurt beyond words.

Yeah, i wish we had an elite 11 qb to back him up and start as a junior next year. The lack of talent on our roster is just oh so depressing. Its beyond words.

I like your defense goin' forward, you have a few really good prospects.

Losing Cousins will hurt beyond words.

I'll give you the moderately less snarky than SV response :silly:...Andrew Maxwell, by all accounts, is pretty legit - and the MSU Staff is very comfortable with the QB hand-off.

Now where some "queasiness" enters into the equation, comes from the fact that our back-up will most likely be RS-Frosh Connor Cook...But a lot of teams are in trouble should they lose their 1.

Rich Rod certainly helped but it really is amazing what Dantonio has been able to accomplish in EL. I think you have to go back to the mid 60's to find a time when MSU had such a talent advantage compared to UM.