SpartanValor

2011 Michigan State Football

Defending Big Ten Champion, Michigan State Spartans

msu_b10_trophy.jpg

• Wednesday, February 2nd: National Signing Day
  • Tuesday, March 22nd: Start of Spring Practice

CoachDantonio.com | The Official Site of Michigan State Football Coach Mark Dantonio

SCHEDULE

Sept. 3 YOUNGSTOWN STATE

Sept. 10 FLORIDA ATLANTIC

Sept. 17 at Notre Dame

Sept. 24 CENTRAL MICHIGAN

Oct. 1 at Ohio State

Oct. 15 MICHIGAN

Oct. 22 WISCONSIN

Oct. 29 at Nebraska

Nov. 5 MINNESOTA

Nov. 12 at Iowa

Nov. 19 INDIANA

Nov. 26 at Northwestern

megaphone-trophy.jpgold-brass-spittoon.jpgpaul-bunyan-trophy.jpgland_grant_trophy_450.jpg

148578_10100420114269454_2304469_68820496_7605307_n.jpg

we-are-spartans-225.gif

SCHEDULE

Sept. 3 YOUNGSTOWN STATE

Sept. 17 at Notre Dame

Oct. 1 at Ohio State

Oct. 15 MICHIGAN

Oct. 22 WISCONSIN

Oct. 29 at Nebraska

Nov. 5 MINNESOTA

Nov. 12 at Iowa

Nov. 19 INDIANA

Nov. 26 at Northwestern

Iowa is one of those, until I see MSU win there, I won't believe it to be possible, regardless of who has better talent.

I'll call ND, Iowa, and Wisconsin toss-ups. Settle on the very premature prediction of 9-3.

I thought I would look it up, since you mentioned it.

Current winning streaks against Michigan:

OSU: 7

MSU: 3

PSU: 3

Iowa: 2 (DNP in 2008)

Wisconsin: 2

Everyone else: 1 (I kid.....)

So up to 5 teams have the chance to get that "hard to come by" 4 game winning streak against michigan in the next year or two. But I think you guys drop PSU from the schedule....

Interestingly, take out the state of Indiana (ND, Purdue, and IU), and Michigan's record the past three years gets even more awesome.

Edited by SpartanValor

This isn't the last 3 years, Rich Rod is gone. I think you underestimate the effect Hoke and Mattison will have on the our defense. I also dont expect State to replicate the success they had this past season. I could always be wrong though.

8-4 for the Spartans is what I predict, with a loss to UM.

This isn't the last 3 years, Rich Rod is gone. I think you underestimate the effect Hoke and Mattison will have on the our defense. I also dont expect State to replicate the success they had this past season. I could always be wrong though.

8-4 for the Spartans is what I predict, with a loss to UM.

There is a reason there is a michigan thread, and its also why I don't post in it.

For all the miracles that Mattison and Hoke will hypothetically perform on a defense that only EMU could be jealous of, I believe they will similarly bring that offense back to earth. I know Hoke said he would conform to the talent, just like RR said when he was hired, but you're making a horrible decision if you tell Denard to stop running and start throwing. To quote Kevin Pickleman, "we knew he couldn't throw the ball", so if all of a sudden you make him do just that, well thanks for doing our game-planning for us. OTOH, I'd also love seeing Hoke try to coach an offense he has never coached before, after the guy who was a pioneer in said offense just left the program. I'm not sure which scenario would be more entertaining...

But I know Mattison has "those eyes", so their defense will probably rival the 1970s Steelers. He might not have Ray Lewis, but wait until Jordan Kovacs drinks the chocolate milk....

I think I'm getting my rhetoric mixed up here, but alas, MSU has an enormous talent advantage over Michigan at this point, and the game is in EL. I'll take MSU.

I think I'm getting my rhetoric mixed up here, but alas, MSU has an enormous talent advantage over Michigan at this point, and the game is in EL. I'll take MSU.

And the game against ND? ND could have a good year next season and MSU has to go to South Bend next season, I see you mark that was a W. Where does your confidence stand there?

And the game against ND? ND could have a good year next season and MSU has to go to South Bend next season, I see you mark that was a W. Where does your confidence stand there?

I was going to say that the sheer greatness of Hoke and Mattison would rub off on the Spartans from across the sidelines, and imbue them with a sense of power, derived from those two great men. This would drive them to victory, but the schedule is all wrong!

:grin:

I called it a toss-up, so obviously my confidence isn't very high. I know M fans seem to be confident they can win that game, but I think ND is going to be the best team they have had in years. Floyd returns, and with a healthy Crist, thats a damn good offense. Crist was the one QB that really tore up MSU last year, and it wasn't even close. Cierre Wood, Te'o, Riddick. I think a lot of people underestimate them after all of the injuries they suffered last year, but I actually believe the ND hype in 2011.

I called it a toss-up, so obviously my confidence isn't very high. I know M fans seem to be confident they can win that game, but I think ND is going to be the best team they have had in years. Floyd returns, and with a healthy Crist, thats a damn good offense. Crist was the one QB that really tore up MSU last year, and it wasn't even close. Cierre Wood, Te'o, Riddick. I think a lot of people underestimate them after all of the injuries they suffered last year, but I actually believe the ND hype in 2011.

I kind of look forward to ND this season. I hate ND almost as much as MSU and OSU, but they have endeared me. As a GVSU grad they employ to of our former coaches in Kelly and Chuck Martin (DBs coach), so there is a soft spot. Anyway, I think ND will be good next year, a tough team to beat in South Bend.

There is a reason there is a michigan thread.

Exactly, trying to make this into a Michigan thread is lame! Not cool, TP!

They have every right to be happy and post all that they want...

Michigan wants to stop that, they have to beat them in East Lansing, which won't be easy.

Good luck on your season Spartans, expectations should be high!!

Man...I had a great post all queued up about Key Returnees, losses, likely replacements...And I lost it.

Cliff Notes:

Biggest questions:

1) Jones and Gordon. Fairly confident here with Bullough (who I think makes more than 1 All-Conference team in his EL tenure) and one of: Allen, Gainer, Gardiner and perhaps LT (although a RS and a transition to DE is probably in order)...

2) The T and C positions. DJ Young - solid 2 year tackle, Stipek and Deane - lightly recruited 2* DT's that swithched over (both JLS holdovers)...Line becomes an All-Dantonio product next year. Recruiting has been pretty good in this area over the last few seasons...Foreman and McDonald are two guards that have all-conference talent and pedigree. Where does Dantonio go at C? I'm guessing Ruhland, but it could just as easily be Klatt...Regardless, there will quite possibly be better talent at all 3 slots in 2011.

Very excited about the D-line next year. Lots of talent, lots of depth. Does Gholston breakout? I mean how many times was he excruciatingly close to a big play last year? Calero, Rush, Freeman, Drone, LT, Hoover, Gholston...Dantonio's got his kind of guys ready to man the end-spot in 2011. Should be one of the better lines in the league.

Incidentally, a couple names keep popping up for the opening on MSU's Coaching Staff...And one of them is a name I'd speculated about right after Coach Tread took the job, and would be an A+ hire, imo. Time to come home, Reggie.

SCHEDULE

Sept. 3 YOUNGSTOWN STATE

Sept. 17 at Notre Dame

Oct. 1 at Ohio State

Oct. 15 MICHIGAN

Oct. 22 WISCONSIN

Oct. 29 at Nebraska

Nov. 5 MINNESOTA

Nov. 12 at Iowa

Nov. 19 INDIANA

Nov. 26 at Northwestern

It looks like I have them going 8-4. I'm counting Wisconsin as a loss because I am a bit of a pessimist, but thats a push to me at this point in time. Looking back on it, it feels like the 2010 season went by really fast.

Believe what you want but there's no convincing me that the Land Grand trophy isn't made from parts off an old office desk.

That is not an easy schedule. I think they lose each of the road games and win one of the Michigan and Wisconsin games for an overall record of 6-6. I think their luck finally turns and they get that long sought bowl victory.

SCHEDULE

Sept. 3 YOUNGSTOWN STATE

Sept. 17 at Notre Dame

Oct. 1 at Ohio State

Oct. 15 MICHIGAN

Oct. 22 WISCONSIN

Oct. 29 at Nebraska

Nov. 5 MINNESOTA

Nov. 12 at Iowa

Nov. 19 INDIANA

Nov. 26 at Northwestern

I think it will all come down to how our new OT's and LB's play. Can we stop the run and can we run the ball... which is always the biggest issue with football from pop warner to NFL. The thing is, is that Deane and Young weren't NFL caliber talent but still serviceable and the players we recruited come in with high marks. Not hearing great things about Barrent but I am hearing them about Schofner. Throw Schofner at LT... Let Barrent and Fou Fonoti (if we get him tomorrow) to fight it out for RT.

At LB, need Bullough to play like I saw him play this past year and he will be solid. Norman needs to play more aggressive... can't believe he is already a Jr. Big question mark at the other LB. Our Front 4 should be much improved and is very deep. Gholston will be a different player next year and hopefully be able to take some better angles on passing downs.

If OSU wins their appeal and those players get to play against us, we will get worked. I am concerned about Floyd vs. our DB's when we play against ND. Wisconsin needs to rebuild their OL (just like us, but the difference being, they are replacing NFL 1st rounders and that will affect their team more than us losing run of the mill OT's). I think winning at Iowa is always a tall order, but this would be the season to do it, with them replacing their best Defensive players and offensive players.

As for UM, I think their Defense will improve due to the fact that their O won't score as quickly and they won't have as many possessions against them, but they were the worst tackling team I ever saw and that is a lack of talent on D. I know they redshirted some talent but they still have to learn how to play the pace of college football and we play them early on. Additionally, great offense but Rodriguez's offense so I am not sure they will put up any of the numbers they put up this year. What are they going to run on offense and defense? I sure hope they are undefeated again when we beat them for the fourth year in a row.

Does anyone know where I could find a projected depth chart or depth by class of MSU next year? I am editing my NCAA 11 rosters to update them for the upcoming season. I have done FSU, working on UM now and then will do MSU next. I am just updating teams that my friends and I use in the game, but I dont know too much about MSU roster like which guys who didnt play much will now be moving up the depth chart and who is going to start at positions where the starter graduated, etc. I could do FSU from my knowledge and MGoBlog had a ton of good info on Michigan that I used. Most my friends are MSU fans so Id like to update their roster too if anyone knows any good sites that could help, thanks. I tried getting a depth chart going on offense, but getting defense and o-line ones are harder, here is what I have for offense so far if you want to critique it. Also NCAA 11 only allows 70 players so I cant make 15 scholarship players so let me know if any of these players will never play so I can avoid making them.

QB

8 Kirk Cousins SR

10 Andrew Maxwell SO

Connor Cook FR

HB

4 Edwin Baker JR

24 Le’Veon Bell SO

22 Larry Caper JR

20 Nick Hill SO

34 Andre Buford JR

Onaje Miller FR

FB

49 TyQuan Hammock SO

86 Fred Smith JR

WR

3 BJ Cummingham SR

82 Keshawn Martin SR

7 Keith Nichol SR

13 Bennie Fowler SO

15 Donald Spencer SO

14 Tony Lippett RS FR (might be a CB?)

25 Keith Mumphrey RS FR

Juwan Ceasar FR

Roger Williamson FR

TE

88 Brian Linthicum SR

80 Dion Sims RS SO or

85 Garrett Celek SR

Edited by Johnny Mac

A year old, but somewhat helpful:

Projected Football Roster - The Only Colors

For their 2011 list, I'd put Tyler Hoover across from Will Gholston at DE. Seems like those might be the two starting ends.

I agree with what the link has listed for DBs, STs, WR, TE, OL. Although Ethan Ruhland needs to be in the mix somewhere....its hard to predict the starters there. And Trenton Robinson is going to be playing over Jairus Jones I would imagine.