JonBenke

2011 Michigan Football

Considering so many people already want to talk UM Football, 2011 edition, considering the direction of recruiting thread .. so good or bad, well .. here you go! This team has a new head coach, a new defensive coordinator, a new offensive scheme, and they return nearly the entire team from 2010, minus Steven Schilling, who has 2/3 guys that will compete for that guard spot. The offense should be better, which is a scary thought -- and the OL should improve! I like the players we're bringing back on D, and I can't wait to see what they do with better coaching, and here's to hoping that Vinopal and Kovacs only play special teams.

Hoke-a-Mania.gif

Oh, and here is Rivals.com list of the ten most explosive players for the upcoming season...

Rivals.com College Football - The 10 most explosive players for 2011

...the bomb is ticking :paranoid:

Edited by JonBenke

Please resize the graphic. What is this, a spartanvalor thread?

Is it too big .. really? Fits fine on my computer.

EDIT: I made it smaller, so I hope that helps:)

Edited by JonBenke

Otherwise, I noticed a lot of talk in the other thread about returning starters and an easier schedule leadin to improved record. I agree somewhat.

Having a large number of returning starters generally correlates well with improvement. The reason is two-fold in my opinion. First, you have players with experience rather than first year players. Second, the returning players were young this past season, resulting in generally poor performance.

It's very difficult to gauge how much improvement. The 2010 team was a 6.8 win team according to football outsiders. I think that seems about right. I think it would be fair to say that an 8 win season in 2011 could be in store. Of course, you still have to play the games and win your fair share.

The schedule doesn't mean much to me. Over a 11 game season, I don't think schedule makes a big difference. It's also hard to know how good the 2011 teams are going to be.

I expect an improved team overall. Whether that results in more wins remains to be seen.

This is for 2012, but oh well.

Twitter / Frank Schwab: Air Force will play at Mic ...

Air Force will play at Michigan in football on Sept. 8, 2012. One-game agreement between the schools.

Twitter / Dave Brandon: Scoop: Later today,we'll a ...

Scoop: Later today,we'll announce Michigan vs. Air Force - 9/8/12 @The Big House - great to host one of our great service academies again!

I'd expect UM's offense to be worse per play but more consistent next year as long as Robinson adjusts to the new system well and is able to avoid turnovers. The defense will be better but still probably not good.

Having both Nebraska and OSU at home helps the schedule next year and should get them to 4-5 conference wins and 8-9 wins overall.

His throwing motion can get a bit ugly, but it's NEVER made me vomit...

Im going to assume most will overlook this joke, but my group of friends would have greatly appreciated it. YAC (non football term in this context) was a big part of our college vocabulary.

I think it's impossible to predict wins/losses till after spring practice. So many questions...

The defense, special teams, how Denard will look in the new offense ... who steps us, etc...

2012 non-con schedule:

at ND

home v AFA

in Dallas v Alabama

I hope Denard doesn't transfer.

Denard will see Air Force play and immediately transfer there so he can run for 3,000 yards.

Western Michigan Win

Notre Dame Loss

Eastern Michigan Win

San Diego State Win

Minnesota Win

@ Northwestern Win

@ Michigan State Loss

Purdue Win

@ Iowa Win

@ Illinois Win

Nebraska Loss

Ohio State Win

9-3

Western Michigan Win

Notre Dame Loss

Eastern Michigan Win

San Diego State Win

Minnesota Win

@ Northwestern Win

@ Michigan State Loss

Purdue Win

@ Iowa Win

@ Illinois Win

Nebraska Loss

Ohio State Win

9-3

Good grief...If that actually comes to pass, particularly that last one...The Hoke Fan Boy population is going to become virtually intolerable!!! :wink:

Edited by lionstigersand...

Good grief...If that actually comes to pass, particularly that last one...The Hoke Fan Boy population is going to become virtually intolerable!!! :wink:

Do you guys really think Michigan will never beat Ohio State again? Sheesh, they're playing them at home, Michigan will have a good offense, and they'll be pretty emotional.

I'd say that game is a toss-up. It's a rivalry game for God's sake.

How many times in this rivalry has the team with less talent won the game? Plenty. And it'll happen again. It might be this year, who knows?

Hoke-a-Mania.gif

Is this all you've got for the official 2011 UM season thread? I'm hoping this single graphic was just a teaser and you plan on adding more later.

This is a Ray Vinopal type effort that you put into this one, JB. I expect way more. SV is an untrained amateur and even he's got a cool pic of the team mixed in with a bunch of really ugly rivalry trophies.

I'm not sure that I can post my thoughts on UM football in this thread the way it is currently.

Is this all you've got for the official 2011 UM season thread?

You know, I know you're raggin' me here, and to truth be told .. it's cool.

Honestly, and I have made it pretty clear in the past, though I am actually done making graphics for this site. Not to mention, all the constant mockery I take, I am guessing, will more than likely be my farewell from here in due time. I am actually working on something kind of big these days anyway, so I'm not sure if I'll have the time for anything else. Heck, I'm sure these last two posts will spark more banter on the subject, so thanks.

Robinson is staying? I'm not here so much during the winter (still not too old for snocross).

Do you guys really think Michigan will never beat Ohio State again? Sheesh, they're playing them at home, Michigan will have a good offense, and they'll be pretty emotional.

I'd say that game is a toss-up. It's a rivalry game for God's sake.

How many times in this rivalry has the team with less talent won the game? Plenty. And it'll happen again. It might be this year, who knows?

Obviously it is going to happen again. But I don't think next year is the year. OSU looks like it will have a better offense and defense again next year. Home field advantage and emotion can make a big difference, but even at UM the games haven't been particularly competitive recently.

It would be interesting to compare UM fans reactions to a win by Hoke with OSU fans reactions to Tressell's win against UM in his first year.

[MSU FAN]

Western Michigan Win

Notre Dame Loss

Eastern Michigan Win

San Diego State Win

Minnesota Win

@ Northwestern Win

@ Michigan State Loss

Purdue Win

@ Iowa Loss

@ Illinois Win

Nebraska Loss

Ohio State Loss

Early opinion... 7-5. I reserve the right to adjust this at any time for no particular reason. In terms of which games are going which way, I think the Notre Dame game could go either way really, but erring on the side of caution. The Spartan fan in me defaults that game to us, but in reality if Hoke can tailor the offense to reasonably match the talent and resurrect the D, it should be a heck of a ballgame. I think the Ohio State game still favors OSU, and I can't be confident predicting UM to win that game yet. Give me a year or so, and we will see where they are at. Just a Spartans' perspective.

[/MSU FAN]

Edited by RipHam23232