BIG time

Would you take this from Sizemore?

Assming that he has a reasonably representative number of doubles and walks relative to his own pro standards, that would be a fine season offensively; combine that with average defense and he'd be a keeper.

He can't put up even those numbers, which with acceptable defense would be something I think the Tiger brass would be happy with, thus I'm assuming we would......but, he'll never do that.

He can't put up even those numbers, which with acceptable defense would be something I think the Tiger brass would be happy with, thus I'm assuming we would......but, he'll never do that.

OK. Thanks for the insight into the future. :ponder:

BA not a very good stat. If he put up a 264 BA with only a 300 OBP, and didn't field BETTER than average (which I haven't seen any indication he can -- yet), I'd look for someone else. 264 with a 330 OBP, maybe.

How is it that he can't put up those numbers when he has outperformed them in every minor league season? Can you tell in 200 ABs whether a guy can stick around or not?

If I recall, you said a very similar thing about Scherzer before last season.

.264 14hr 57 RBI? 127 GS

The 127 GS is the tricky part considering Rhymes and Worth are in the mix, and eventually Guillen will be back. But if he gets that many starts, I don't think those numbers are overly optimistic. In fact I'd expect a BA about 20 points higher coupled with a strong OBP. I believe Sizemore will hit at the MLB level.

BA not a very good stat. If he put up a 264 BA with only a 300 OBP, and didn't field BETTER than average (which I haven't seen any indication he can -- yet), I'd look for someone else. 264 with a 330 OBP, maybe.

I'd take .264/.330/.420 all day long.

The Bill James projection has him at .277/.343/.438. That's the sort of line I'd look for from him this season. Yeah, his defense isn't great, but it isn't awful. He's got a little bit of speed. He's got doubles power and can hit it out from time to time. Offensively I think he's something like a poor man's Carlos Guillen when Guillen was healthy. I'd love that from a young, cheap, homegrown second baseman.

I'd be a little surprised if he hit 14 homers in only 127 starts. But there are a lot of ways a hitter can have a .264 average with 14 home runs and be great, horrible, or somewhere in between. The RBIs have no meaning to me.

Here is the real question, would you rather take a healthy Carlos Guillen that hits .290/.360/400/.760, 15 HRs, 70 RBIs and worse defense? I think that is the real question.

Lets not kid ourselves, if Carlos Guillen is healthy by Opening Day (which isn't looking good), 2B is his.

Here is the real question, would you rather take a healthy Carlos Guillen that hits .290/.360/400/.760, 15 HRs, 70 RBIs and worse defense? I think that is the real question.

Lets not kid ourselves, if Carlos Guillen is healthy by Opening Day (which isn't looking good), 2B is his.

If Carlos Guillen is OPSing .760, it's not really something I'd be excited about. I think Sizemore could do that with much better defense, or at least close enough to that that he would rate as a better player overall when the defense is factored.

I do agree that Guillen will get the gig if he's healthy on Opening Day, but they're already said they don't expect him to be. I think they may have finally learned their lesson about rushing guys to the big club on Opening Day when they have lingering injuries.

I'd take Will The Thrill over all of them. I think he just makes things happen - just one of those guys. I think to rely on Guillen even to be healthy more than half a season is a dream and the team should be considering Sizemore as a corner outfielder - he was pretty bad defensively (from what I saw last year).

I'd take .264/.330/.420 all day long.

The Bill James projection has him at .277/.343/.438. That's the sort of line I'd look for from him this season. Yeah, his defense isn't great, but it isn't awful. He's got a little bit of speed. He's got doubles power and can hit it out from time to time. Offensively I think he's something like a poor man's Carlos Guillen when Guillen was healthy. I'd love that from a young, cheap, homegrown second baseman.

This is about the line I'm hoping for, and I think the D will at least be improved. Sizemore is a worker, a coach's favorite type of player. He'll do everything he can every day to get better.

OK. Thanks for the insight into the future. :ponder:

He doesn't know him though. If he knew him, he'd be singing another tune.

If Carlos Guillen is OPSing .760, it's not really something I'd be excited about. I think Sizemore could do that with much better defense, or at least close enough to that that he would rate as a better player overall when the defense is factored.

I do agree that Guillen will get the gig if he's healthy on Opening Day, but they're already said they don't expect him to be. I think they may have finally learned their lesson about rushing guys to the big club on Opening Day when they have lingering injuries.

I was going low side on Guillen's power numbers. If I had to give an educated guess...I'd say Guillen is over .800 OPS this year.

I was going low side on Guillen's power numbers. If I had to give an educated guess...I'd say Guillen is over .800 OPS this year.

I would too. I think if Guillen's body stays out of the way, he's still got the skills to be in the .825 OPS range, and if he could do that at 2B, it'd be a huge help.

I would too. I think if Guillen's body stays out of the way, he's still got the skills to be in the .825 OPS range, and if he could do that at 2B, it'd be a huge help.

Yes, he is a huge question mark this year. The lineup with a healthy Carlos Guillen is quite formidable. I have been crossing my fingers everyday for Carlos.

Yes, he is a huge question mark this year. The lineup with a healthy Carlos Guillen is quite formidable. I have been crossing my fingers everyday for Carlos.

More than that... Guillen provides a MUCH needed left handed stick against RHP. Even though 2010 was a subpar, injured season, Guillen still managed an OPS+ of 109 against RHP...

But I just don't see him healthy to start the season. Hopefully by May based upon what I've read.

More than that... Guillen provides a MUCH needed left handed stick against RHP. Even though 2010 was a subpar, injured season, Guillen still managed an OPS+ of 109 against RHP...

But I just don't see him healthy to start the season. Hopefully by May based upon what I've read.

Not only that, but a healthy Guillen provides depth to our lineup. He takes a lot of pitches, walks, and facing maggs, miggy, victor, and carlos in a row would definitely take its toll on pitchers. Realistically, on any given day, we could have 5 lhb in the lineup (avila, martinez, santiago, boesch/thomas, guillen if healthy).

I'd take Will The Thrill over all of them. I think he just makes things happen - just one of those guys. I think to rely on Guillen even to be healthy more than half a season is a dream and the team should be considering Sizemore as a corner outfielder - he was pretty bad defensively (from what I saw last year).

That takes away any value he has, and it's not like Toledo isnt packed with corner OFers already that can provide what he provides. I really don't see any point in this at all. Give the kid a chance to prove himself at 2nd.