DaYooperASBDT

Tigers To Retire Sparky's #11

Just announced by DD at TigerFest. Details on the ceremony TBA.

Beginning in ST, players will sport a commorative patch on the uni. Design to be posted very soon on the team website.

Flag to fly at Comerica honoring Sparky.

Yes, the uni# retiring should've been done long ago, but it's great that it's finally happening.

I'd prefer this thread take precedence, actually. Well deserved honor for the skipper.

Fair is fair, dude. Yours went up first. (I blame my cold fingers for not typing faster!)

Seeing as it took 16 years between Sparky's tenure to end and his number retirement, I predict Tram (with Lou) will be retired around 2021. Any takers?

A nice move, although it's a shame it didn't happen at least a year or two ago.

I wonder if #1 and #3 will ever follow. I'm not a fan of retiring a ton of numbers, but if they're not going to issue them to other players, they might as well retire them officially. If I'm not mistaken, no one has had #1 since Whitaker and only Sheffield has had #3 since Trammell. Either use them or retire them.

Here's the patch the tigers will wear in honor of Sparky

RLHOC.jpg

via Jason Beck on twitter.

A few here have said that Ilitch didn't like Sparky..

is this Post humous honor done somewhat out of spite -- ie after Sparky is gone

I read somewhere that when Illitch bought the team from Tom Monaghan, one of the conditions of the sale was that TM would have to fire Jim Campbell and the rest of the upper guys in the front office (including Schembechler). Sparky was very close to and loyal to Campbell and I read something about how he felt that maybe he should've left then instead of when he did. That probably would've been the beginning of any friction between SA and MI.

Then there's Sparky's refusal to manage the replacement players in ST 1995.

Its about time. I really think the #'s 1 and 3 should happen soon and a couple of statues should be added.

No need to close a thread. If you post in one of them, just remember to copy and paste into the other one.

Why doesn't anyone ever ask me to be a mod?

15 years with Tigers and 11 all star games, Bill Freehan needs to be a part of this ceremony somehow.

It certainly looks that way. If a certain individual was trying to make a point, he couldn't have timed it any better.

Edited by 1776

This is my take, as well.

To the "better late than never" people: isn't waiting until the person in question is dead more or less making it "never" for that person? How is this not (at best) a completely backhanded honor or (at worst) a not-so-subtle way of saying "F.U." to the guy's memory?

It's how I imagine Ron Santo's family, and Cub fans in general, feel about the prospect of the HOF letting him in now. If they couldn't honor him while he was still alive and able to enjoy it, why even bother doing it now?

I'm not an Ilitch-basher, but IMO this will be remembered as one of the less-than-classy aspects of his ownership tenure.

Edited by guy incognito

This is my take, as well.

To the "better late than never" people: isn't waiting until the person in question is dead more or less making it "never" for that person? How is this not (at best) a completely backhanded honor or (at worst) a not-so-subtle way of saying "F.U." to the guy's memory?

It's how I imagine Ron Santo's family, and Cub fans in general, feel about the prospect of the HOF letting him in now. If they couldn't honor him while he was still alive and able to enjoy it, why even bother doing it now?

It does to me and it's very disappointing. I would have loved to see Sparky get the chance to enjoy his day.

That's ridiculous. Even if they didn't like each other, this is not done out of spite.

Don't be surprised if it comes out that Sparky asked NOT to have his number retired while he was still alive. Remember, he requested no funeral and no memorial service. He was humble that way. Keep in mind that if Illitch really disliked Sparky that much, why haven't they issued #11 to any player or coach in the 15 years since he left? They had their differences (over the treament of Glen Ewald mostly), but let's not get carried away with this kind of speculation.

No, it's not ridiculous. The Reds honored Sparky by retiring his number in 2005. This is pure classlessness on Ilitch's part. He's done a lot of good things, but he's also pulled stuff like this.

See his recent cease-and-desist order against his enemy Karmanos when they tried to use a gothic "D" to drop from the Compuware building on New Year's Eve. That "D" was not a copyright infringement; Ilitch doesn't own the rights to all Engligh D's. Any two-bit lawyer will tell you that. Besides, Ilitch isn't going after the countless stores and gas stations that sell knock-off hats with "D's" which are similar to the Tigers' trademarked "D." But since he doesn't like Karmanos, he threw a big "eff you" to him.

Ilitch has shown over the years he can do some wonderful things. He's also shown he can be a petty jerk. And when it came to his treatment of Sparky Anderson, he's been the latter.