drobones

Nabakov to Detroit?

I'm guessing there is likely more to the story than we know right now, but I really don't have a problem with any of the parties involved. The Wings went for the homerun, but missed. Good attempt on their side. Nabokov wanted to play for a contender and probably was leaning towards the Wings as they were the ones that made the initiative, but he has money and has had a decent career. It was a swing and miss for him too, still a good attempt.

The Islanders, they don't have much reason for their fans to show up right now. Signing a big name goalie for a minimal contract would likely pay off for them though. They weren't trying to hit a home run, they were just trying to get on base. Unfortunately for them it looks like they missed to.

The Islanders, they don't have much reason for their fans to show up right now. Signing a big name goalie for a minimal contract would likely pay off for them though. They weren't trying to hit a home run, they were just trying to get on base. Unfortunately for them it looks like they missed to.

I'm all for teams using the rules and such to their advantage, but I think this just shows that the Isles shouldn't have traded Roloson who was their best goalie (I don't count Ricky D, guy is made of glass). Them trading Roloson, then claiming a goalie trying to sign a contract somewhere else is kind of stupid in my mind.

I'm all for teams using the rules and such to their advantage, but I think this just shows that the Isles shouldn't have traded Roloson who was their best goalie (I don't count Ricky D, guy is made of glass). Them trading Roloson, then claiming a goalie trying to sign a contract somewhere else is kind of stupid in my mind.

Yep, the trading Rollie away was a huge mistake. They tried to undo the mistake by claiming Nabby, but didn't pay attention to his agent when he said "please only claim if you are a contender."

Yep, the trading Rollie away was a huge mistake. They tried to undo the mistake by claiming Nabby, but didn't pay attention to his agent when he said "please only claim if you are a contender."

Trading Rollie and whatever his contract was, assuming it was much larger than Nabokov's, for whatever they could get, then claiming a much better goalie at a fraction of the price seems like a pretty smart move to me.

Granted that wasn't exactly the way Snow had it all planned out but had Nabby reported it would have seemed genius.

Trading Rollie and whatever his contract was, assuming it was much larger than Nabokov's, for whatever they could get, then claiming a much better goalie at a fraction of the price seems like a pretty smart move to me.

Granted that wasn't exactly the way Snow had it all planned out but had Nabby reported it would have seemed genius.

True, but Snow made moves to the point where they had two rookie goalies as their dressed goalies. Now he's dragging Nabakov into a bad situation as far as Nabakov's future contract in the NHL goes.

Yeah, but there was little chance Nabokov would agree to play for the Islanders, and Garth should have known that. There was nothing preventing Garth from reaching an agreement with Nabokov as opposed to the Wings, if that was his plan all along.

I bet Garth Snow is happy his team is making headlines for something other than "Another Pathetic Loss By the Islanders"

Islanders suspend Nabokov for not reporting - NHL - Yahoo! Sports

UNIONDALE, New York (AP)—The New York Islanders have suspended Russian goalie Evgeni Nabokov(notes) for not reporting to the NHL team after being claimed off waivers from the Detroit Red Wings last week.

The 35-year-old Nabokov signed a one-year contract with Detroit last Thursday.

Nabokov, who played with the San Jose Sharks for parts of 10 seasons, had spent this season with SKA St. Petersburg of the Russian KHL and hadn’t yet played for Detroit.

The NHL’s collective bargaining agreement states that anyone who plays in a professional league before signing an NHL contract must clear waivers.

Once he signed his one-year deal with the Red Wings, he became available to the Islanders.

New York owns Nabokov’s rights and could keep him out of the NHL for all of next season should Nabokov not report.

Nabokov has been disappointed that he won’t be joining the Stanley Cup-contending Red Wings. Instead he is under contract with the Islanders, who are far out of the playoff race.

Ugly.

Nabokov: Isle Stay Home - NYPost:

"...It doesn't make a lot of sense to me. And I hope they understand that."

Well, the Islanders don't. Not even in the slightest.

"Why wouldn't he show up? I'm still expecting him," Islanders owner Charles Wang said of Nabokov in a rare press conference yesterday afternoon before the Isles' 5-3 loss to the Sabres at Nassau Coliseum. "Flights are booked. If you go into the locker room, the locker stall is prepared, his uniform is prepared. If you look at the notes for [yesterday's] game, his name is on it."

Now, if he sticks with his decision to not report to the Islanders, he will be forced to sit out the remainder of the NHL season.

"Here is somebody the Islanders want that wants to play [and] has a contract with the NHL," Wang said. "So, we're waiting for him and looking forward to having him."

Over the previous two days, both Wang and Islanders general manager Garth Snow have said they left messages for Nabokov. According to what the goalie said to ESPN.com, those messages never were received.

"He may have tried to reach me but there's no message from him," Nabokov said of Snow. "I still haven't talked to him."

Snow said yesterday that everything was "status quo," meaning he is still expecting Nabokov to show up. Nabokov's agent, Don Meehan, was unavailable for comment last night.

"I dont see why somebody who has this opportunity would not want to play and fulfill his contract," Wang said. "It's nuts, right? I don't understand any of it."

Derp. Maybe because he wanted to play for a contender, not a bottom feeding club. Wow, that was difficult.

I just dont get the position the Islanders are taking here. Clearly Nabokov, at 35, is not in there long-term plans. Nor should he be considered for their short term plans. What a mess they have over on the Island right now. Just dumb.

Pure (satirical) comedy.

Nabokov says he will only play for team he can ruin playoff dreams for | Intent to Blow

Almost Islanders goaltender Evgeni Nabokov told reporters Tuesday morning he will only report to play for a team if he has the chance to personally dismantle their chances of winning a Stanley Cup.

“It’s sort of my trademark,” Nabokov said. “And it’s not going to happen in Long Island. I walked into Nassau Colosseum for my first practice, rubbed my hands and said my work here is done.”

Nabokov was signed by the Detroit Red Wings late last week but was claimed by the Islanders on waivers. He has drawn heavy criticism for not reporting to the team and later for hanging up on Islanders GM Garth Snow.

“Yeah that was a misunderstanding,” Nabokov said. “I thought he was that Canadian reggae rapper Snow, you know the guy that did that song “Informer?” Dude hasn’t left me alone since 1993.”

The Islanders/Nabokov decision hasn’t gone over well with the Red Wings either.

“It’s ******** really,” said Wings GM Ken Holland. “It was all a plan to get some playoff team to snatch him up. Then for us it’d be one less team to worry about.”

Injured Red Wings goaltender Chris Osgood was surprisingly mum on the situation, because really, why would he comment?

“Eh, it’s hockey,” he said before grimacing. “Ugh, this Metropolitan Opera production of Tosca is terrible, I don’t know why Sondra Radvanovsky would do that.”

Nabokov’s situation has also increased speculation that another aging star mulling a comeback to the NHL, Peter Forsberg, may opt not to report to the Colorado Avalanche if they fall out of a playoff race. Forsberg, who is hoping a double ankle transplant will help him take the ice in the NHL for the first time since 2008, said if he signs he will report.

“Foppa don’t breach,” he said. “Even if the Avs are in trouble deep.”

Funny stuff.