drobones

Nabakov to Detroit?

I'm guessing it's an insurance policy move in case Ozzie is out longer than expected or anything happens to Jimmy. I'm more worried that he hasn't been playing since December and will get thrown right in the mix.

We'll see, I haven't given up on this happening. I would love to get him here at a reasonable salary and I'd let him push for the starting job with Howard. Howard has not done enough to be guaranteed a starting playoff role if the backup was playing high quality. Show Osgood the door - the injury allows that to be done respectfully - if necessary.

Maybe they could work something out with a bad team where they claim him and we give them a low end pick in a trade for him. Dont know if that is allowed. It would give a bad team a free draft pick so they might do it

Maybe they could work something out with a bad team where they claim him and we give them a low end pick in a trade for him. Dont know if that is allowed. It would give a bad team a free draft pick so they might do it

Right, that's what I was thinking (or give them Modano, lol). Would be like a deadline day trade with a team that has no future plans for an asset and is willing to unload him to another team (ie, the Wings) as a rental.

Bob McKenzie reporting that the deal is not done yet, but that Holland and the Wings are looking to sign Nabokov to a deal that would make him very unattractive to those that would try to claim him.

Bob McKenzie reporting that the deal is not done yet, but that Holland and the Wings are looking to sign Nabokov to a deal that would make him very unattractive to those that would try to claim him.

From others calculations, the Wings could offer up to ~4.1 mil, if all salaries go on long term injured reserve and don't count against us, but the more realistic option is around 2 mil.

You cant claim him and then trade him without putting him through waivers again according to Dregger...Hes getting claimed at the salary we can offer, too bad

also this is funny

Twitter

@FSDMurph Larry Murphy

there is a good chance nabakov could be claimed, because he is great quality for a great price...sort of like a dollar hot dog!

7 minutes ago

that account is fake I think, but still funny

Edited by Johnny Mac

DarrenDreger Darren Dreger

@capgeek. Deal still isn't done, but $570,000 for the rest of the year is what I'm told. Pro-rated to about $250,000. #nhl #redwings

Hard to imagine Nabokov doesn't get claimed at $570,000 or as the last tweet indicated...roughly $250,000 pro-rated.

For players returning from Euro (Nabokov) who are claimed by another team after signing. That team can't trade him without waivers again.

Here is what I was talking about

Wings consider adding free-agent G Evgeni Nabokov | detnews.com | The Detroit News

St. Louis— The Red Wings could be close to adding some goaltending insurance.

Reports out of Canada indicate the Wings are close to signing veteran Evgeni Nabokov. The former San Jose Sharks goalie was released from his contract with the Russian club SKA St. Petersburg in December.

"I have had conversations with Nabokov's agent," Wings general manager Ken Holland said. Holland wouldn't talk about what triggered the Wings' interest in Nabokov. Likely, it's Chris Osgood's sports hernia surgery; he will be out until March.

When asked Thursday about the possibility of adding Nabokov, Wings goalie Jimmy Howard said, "I haven't heard anything. All rumors as far as I know. Whatever. If it helps the team, it helps the team. But for the most part, I think everybody here is planning on having Ozzie back whenever he's due back."

The Wings would be looking to strengthen their goaltending if Howard were to go down again with injury. He missed the last two games with a bruised right knee but is starting Thursday night in St. Louis.

With only Joey MacDonald and young Tom McCollum in reserve after Osgood went down, the position is thin. Nabokov, 35, would have to clear waivers if he signs with the Wings, which wouldn't be a given. Forwards Marek Svatos and Kyle Wellwood both returned to the NHL recently as free agents, signed with St. Louis, but were claimed by different teams (Buffalo for Svatos, San Jose for Wellwood).

Nabokov would likely draw interest from Stanley Cup-contending teams such as Colorado and Washington, which also are looking for veteran goaltending depth.

Nabokov's sudden emergence was the talk of the locker room after the team came off its morning skate Thursday. Coach Mike Babcock was asked if he knew any details.

"Absolutely nothing. And if I did, I wouldn't tell anything," he said.

Nabokov was 44-16-10 with a 2.43 goals-against average and .922 save percentage in 71 games for the Sharks last season. He was drafted by the Sharks in the ninth round in 1994 and played in 563 NHL games, all with San Jose.

Wow. Jimmy sounds pretty mad.

Too bad.

Everyone knows that I'm not really on Jimmy's side, but if this helps light a fire under him, good.

I think the Wings like playing 2 goalies and Ozzie isnt good enough to give that many starts to. That coupled with Howard hitting a funk it would make sense to bring in some competition. Would kind of suck to force ozzie out, but whatever, they did it to Maltby.

I think the Wings like playing 2 goalies and Ozzie isnt good enough to give that many starts to. That coupled with Howard hitting a funk it would make sense to bring in some competition. Would kind of suck to force ozzie out, but whatever, they did it to Maltby.

Nobody is forcing him out. He's out for a prolonged period of time, and being as honest as possible, he's just not very good anymore. I understand he's been with the Wings for so long & all that jazz, but if he doesn't give us the best chance of winning, which right now I don't think anyone will argue against saying he doesn't, we've gotta bring someone else in.

I guess it's a longshot for the Wings to gain Nabokov's services this season, but if the Wings did, Howard and Ozzie would have no one to blame but themselves. With or without injuries, they were a subpar 1-2 tandem and the Wngs' weak link. Ozzie can't complain - it was Hall of Famer Hasek's 2 losses only that gave Ozzie the playoff starting job in 2008. And Howard can't complain - he took Ozzie's starters job away last season.

Red Wings' deal with Evgeni Nabokov virtually done, but he is not expected to clear waivers | MLive.com

ST. LOUIS -- The Detroit Red Wings are extremely close to signing goaltender Evgeni Nabokov to a dirt-cheap contract for the rest of the season, but he might not play a single game for them.

A source close to the situation said the Red Wings will sign Nabokov for $570,000, which is only about $250,000 prorated for the rest of the season. He would go on waivers Friday at noon and would need to clear before joining the Red Wings.

At that price, he likely will be claimed by another team.

"I wouldn't get my hopes too high; the contract is peanuts,'' a source said. "Anyone in need of a goaltender will put in a claim. Somebody in the West might say, 'I don't want Detroit to pick him up.' ''

The Red Wings did not offer a multiyear deal with bonuses or a no-trade clause to discourage other clubs from putting in a claim for Nabokov because they don't want to be committed to him past this season without having seen how he will fare.

I guess it's a longshot for the Wings to gain Nabokov's services this season, but if the Wings did, Howard and Ozzie would have no one to blame but themselves. With or without injuries, they were a subpar 1-2 tandem and the Wngs' weak link. Ozzie can't complain - it was Hall of Famer Hasek's 2 losses only that gave Ozzie the playoff starting job in 2008. And Howard can't complain - he took Ozzie's starters job away last season.

Nicely put LS, and I couldn't agree more.

Dreger on XM radio a few minutes ago:

He thinks the deal will get done and wont get claimed because there are other better FA goalies out there right now, and there seems to be a heavy "I'll only play for Detroit" vibe going on and teams arent apt to throw away money (assuming he wont play for them) just to keep the Wings from getting a player.

Dreger on XM radio a few minutes ago:

He thinks the deal will get done and wont get claimed because there are other better FA goalies out there right now, and there seems to be a heavy "I'll only play for Detroit" vibe going on and teams arent apt to throw away money (assuming he wont play for them) just to keep the Wings from getting a player.

I like the sounds of that.

Eh, I bet the Caps claim him if no one before them does or maybe the Hawks would cut ties with Turco and claim him.

Heck, have you seen the Devils play this year? They have 3 goalies who have played, all have 3+ gaa (Brodeur is basically at 3) and sub .900 sv%. I wouldnt be shocked if they claimed him

What are the rules if someone does claim him? If the "I'll only play for Detroit" vibe is true, does he have to sign with whatever team claims him? Or can he get claimed & refuse to play for them?