DetroitCity313

New Ala. gov: Just Christians are his family

Since when is public approval level a measure of enlightened leadership - esp in Alabama!:confused::confused:

Win.

I think people who inject religion in instances when they don't need to, like this Alabama governor are just stupid.

He was at church. Should he not go to church now that he's governor?

I'm not protesting.

You used the word "protest." If you were referring to your own or another's protest, I don't care, because the protest was pointless.

He was at church. Should he not go to church now that he's governor?

He certainly doesn't need to get in the pulpit while he is governor, and even if he does, he can certainly be more circumspect in his remarks while he is governor. There are an infinite number of good Baptist sermons you could write without making any reference to the relative states of salvation of any of your constituents.

If you want to advance tolerance, you don't have to tolerate intolerance.

We put people in jail to reduce harm to society (one of the reasons, anyway). But you don't blame the jailer for increasing harm to criminals because jail harms them. Similarly, you don't blame people who want to advance tolerance for ostracizing and/or condemning the intolerant until they become tolerant themselves.

If you want to advance anything, there's going to be some collateral damage.

And over the past 150 or so years, us liberal progressives have been doing a fine job. This world is far more tolerant than it was a century ago. Problems still persist, but especially in our country, they are minute compared to what they used to be.

Except that you don't advance tolerance. You only advance what you believe is beneficial, under the guise of tolerance. You are as intolerant as anyone else with those who don't agree with you.

Except that you don't advance tolerance. You only advance what you believe is beneficial, under the guise of tolerance. You are as intolerant as anyone else with those who don't agree with you.

This is true at least at a certain rock bottom level. No culture can survive if it is not intolerant of an second culture that would destroy it. In western culture, we often speak out of muddled headed thinking, but our western tolerance really only extends out to circles of thought that remain within the universe of that western thought system. There are things outside that circle to which we must/should indeed remain intolerant. For shorthand we usually define those things as evil - but there are other 'cultures' that might argue that they are not.

You used the word "protest." If you were referring to your own or another's protest, I don't care, because the protest was pointless.

You characterized it as my protest. It wasn't. You were either sloppy or you were being willfully inaccurate. Whether or not being accurate is in your interest, I felt it needed to be called out.

As Melody said, Bentley is a church deacon (also I see he teaches Sunday school). Apologies for the mis-information,

I heard him referred to as a "minister" on a radio program and that is clearly incorrect.