RedRamage

Lions biggest position of need?

Which areas to the Lions need to address the most?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Which areas to the Lions need to address the most?

• Quarterback
    • Running Back
    • Wide Receiver (including TE)
    • Offensive Line
    • Defensive Line
    • Linebackers
    • Defensive Backs
    • Kicker
    • Punter

I know that we have an offseason thread already, but I wanted to make a poll just to see what everyone's opinion is about what areas the Lions need help the most.

Please vote for your two top areas of need.

Oh crap, I only picked one (Dbacks), the other area would have been O-Line.

Our top priority should be cornerback.

Thanks man. Either way, I think were close to where we need to be.

Yeah, it'll be interesting... last year this time we'd be saying that just about every position was a huge need. Now I think we (as fans of course) will be able to narrow it down a bit more. But the reason of the poll is that I don't know that there will be a solid concession on which position is the most in need... not because so many are so bad, but rather that I don't know that you can pick on out and say: This position is SO much worse that all the others that we obviously need to address this one first.

Yeah, it'll be interesting... last year this time we'd be saying that just about every position was a huge need. Now I think we (as fans of course) will be able to narrow it down a bit more. But the reason of the poll is that I don't know that there will be a solid concession on which position is the most in need... not because so many are so bad, but rather that I don't know that you can pick on out and say: This position is SO much worse that all the others that we obviously need to address this one first.

See, I think there are 2 groups that are so far behind the others and I don't think it's even close.

I'm assuming the Lions are going to do what it takes to re-sign Houston, so I said the linebacking core. Right now we have Levy and.... Ashlee Palmer? Yeah, that needs to be upgraded.

It IS nice, however, to have only a few area of needs this offseason, as opposed to the complete dearth of talent we had 24 months ago.

Im going to go out on a limb (not a huge one) and say Bobby Carpenter will start at one of the OLB next season. I am guessing he would fit nicely at the Will. I wouldnt mind making Levy the Sam and then adding the MLB through drafting or free agency. I thought carpenter looked pretty good in the last few games, it was the 1st time he was in a true 4-3 since college. I could be way wrong though.

I think Carpenter did a very good job as well. While he may not start, I think he is a nice depth piece to hang on to.

DB is most pressing in my eyes. Look what one stud (and KVB) did for the rest of the D-line this year. Go out and get that one shut down corner and he immediately takes pressure off the other DB's and LB's in coverage. While they need to upgrade at the LB position as well, DB has to be a big focal point this offseason by resigning Houston and getting a true lockdown corner.

I think Carpenter did a very good job as well. While he may not start, I think he is a nice depth piece to hang on to.

DB is most pressing in my eyes. Look what one stud (and KVB) did for the rest of the D-line this year. Go out and get that one shut down corner and he immediately takes pressure off the other DB's and LB's in coverage. While they need to upgrade at the LB position as well, DB has to be a big focal point this offseason by resigning Houston and getting a true lockdown corner.

Nnamdi signing with the Lions would solve so many problems, its a real long shot, but I can dream. I think Delmas would be able to make more plays on the ball if we had a lockdown corner. We are just a couple pieces away from being a real dominant defense.

The weakest area of the team is the LBers. Only the middle is adequately manned. You get one guy thats good rushing the passer, in the run game and can drop back in coverage, plus one guy who is solid and I think you improve this defense as much as fixing the DL did last year.

The DBs are still a concern. A shutdown corner would be nice but isnt necessary if the group as a whole is solid. I think developing depth here is as important as having the one guy everyone fears.

Thirdly is Oline depth and a guy or two that can develop into a long term starter. Immediate help at center would be nice. Raiolas size makes him a liability in the run game. He gets pushed into the backfield on bullrushes far too often on running downs.

Oh crap, I only picked one (Dbacks), the other area would have been O-Line.

Our top priority should be cornerback.

I did the same thing. DB and LB would be both of my choices. Another good D-line guy and Detroit would wreak havoc for other teams. Basically defense...

Top priority in FA and the draft should be finding a starting CB opposite Houston and a playmaking WLB, ideally with decent size. I think Palmer and Carpenter can hold down one spot ok and I really like Levy. If a C with good size is available, I'd consider him as well, but not Pouncey, he's an OG.

I think Peterman is actually pretty good at RG. He had a foot injury early on and a few too many penalties, but his foot healed, he cut down his penalties during our win streak and 2 of them were rescinded. If he's healthy, he should be pretty solid over there. He's probably our most physical blocker, which I like.

If he is hurt or struggling, I think we go to Jason Fox at RG.

DE could be considered a need, but only if we are talking about a truly elite speed rusher. We have 4 quality players at the position.

I wouldnt' mind a power RB either. If Prince and Petersen are both gone, I won't cry if we take Ingram, ideally after a tradeback. I know few will agree, but I think Ingram is an Emmitt Smith clone and woudl give us a physical running game, a necessity in the NFC North, for many years to come. Complimenting Best perfectly and protecting Stafford. I don't want to go skill guy really, but I'm not sure a LB or CB is worth the 13 pick if the 2 guys I mention are gone and we haven't had a runner like Ingram since I have been alive(83). I'd love that type of back, even if it's a luxury pick. We can afford that a little mroe right now, especially if MAyhew can getl a few Sims/Houston/C.Williams type steals again this year.

I'd forgive Ford for a lot if he outbid everyone for Asomugha

I wouldnt' mind a power RB either. If Prince and Petersen are both gone, I won't cry if we take Ingram, ideally after a tradeback. I know few will agree, but I think Ingram is an Emmitt Smith clone and woudl give us a physical running game, a necessity in the NFC North, for many years to come. Complimenting Best perfectly and protecting Stafford. I don't want to go skill guy really, but I'm not sure a LB or CB is worth the 13 pick if the 2 guys I mention are gone and we haven't had a runner like Ingram since I have been alive(83). I'd love that type of back, even if it's a luxury pick. We can afford that a little mroe right now, especially if MAyhew can getl a few Sims/Houston/C.Williams type steals again this year.

I'd forgive Ford for a lot if he outbid everyone for Asomugha

If only the Lions had a line like Emmitt Smith did, they could put just about any back in the backfield and he would produce.

If Ford gets Asomugha, it would turn out to be one of the best moves he ever made if not the best.

The secondary isn't that bad. Alphonso Smith was playing well before injury. Houston, Smith, Delmas, and Spievey isn't that bad of a secondary. The Lions were 16th in passing yards allowed and 24th in rushing yards allowed. Their best LB is weakside LB trying to play the middle.

The secondary isn't that bad. Alphonso Smith was playing well before injury. Houston, Smith, Delmas, and Spievey isn't that bad of a secondary. The Lions were 16th in passing yards allowed and 24th in rushing yards allowed. Their best LB is weakside LB trying to play the middle.

But could go from below average to above average if they sign Asomugha.

I agree with most of this...

Except the part about Alphonso Smith, he is absolutely awful. Definitely need an upgrade there. Im glad someone did this poll, results seem to be overwhelming, we need some linebackers.

Delmas is good, Smith was OK at best and only for a couple of games then exposed, Spievey was not good but inexperienced, Houston is almost assuredly a FA and eager to test the market, Berry is a project, the rest are replaceable. That's a bad situation.

Levy was OK and I trust Schwartz and Cunningham to know where he's best suited to play, Carpenter surprised me but it was only for a couple games, Palmer/Johnson/Dizon/Follett/Ekejiuba/Circiu are all easily replaceable with one another. That's a scary situation.

Oh crap, I only picked one...

Me too. I went back & forth on DBs or LBs & picked linebackers. I still think we need another CB & some OL depth, but now I'm preaching.

You know I don't think Willie Clay Ford is the most horrible owner. Unlike Al Davis, Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones, he doesn't interfere with the team. The problem is, he hasn't hired good football people. I think Mayhew is a good GM and will be given every opportunity to put together this team without interference from the owner. The downside is when bad people like Millen are hired, it takes forever to get them fired.