ROMAD1

France not UK our biggest ally? How exactly?

Without question, France, as always, upheld the highest ideals as reasons to oppose the liberation of Iraq.

Signed,

Oil for Food

Liberation of Iraq? How quaint. It's like it's 2003 up in here. Well, I suppose a couple million Iraqis have been liberated from their homes and sent off to bastions of human rights like Syria. Not to mention the hundreds of thousands or Iraqis liberated from this mortal coil...Or the ethnic cleansing which, in an event that should be galling to American conservative Christians who supported the war, has liberated Iraqi Christians of their homeland by either death or exile. Not that an Iraqi Christian life is worth more than a Sunni or Shia, but you'd figure that Christians living amongst hostile Muslims would get a crocodile tear or two from the American right. Not so much.

I'd say France had the better idea.

Well, I realize it's ancient history, but there was that revolutionary war and that 1812 thing. I don't have any stats to back this but I'll bet there are more Lafayette streets than there are Churchill streets in America.

Liberation of Iraq? How quaint. It's like it's 2003 up in here. Well, I suppose a couple million Iraqis have been liberated from their homes and sent off to bastions of human rights like Syria. Not to mention the hundreds of thousands or Iraqis liberated from this mortal coil...Or the ethnic cleansing which, in an event that should be galling to American conservative Christians who supported the war, has liberated Iraqi Christians of their homeland by either death or exile. Not that an Iraqi Christian life is worth more than a Sunni or Shia, but you'd figure that Christians living amongst hostile Muslims would get a crocodile tear or two from the American right. Not so much.

I'd say France had the better idea.

Yes ... it's certain that the removal of one tyrannt has spawned the growth of thousands of others. The term "liberation" was misapplied. Hussein, the Don Corelone of Iraq, kept the sectarian violence contained, in exchange for his own capricious acts of imprisonment and torture that were unilaterally oppressive. Now we've got a polyglot of factions fighting for control of ... what (?!?) exactly is a mystery to me.

I'm just thankful that my first-born is out of there and it's time for the rest of the solders to get out as well.

They upheld oil for food as a reason not to invade IRaq?

Did they uphold it as a reason? No, of course not. Did they get caught? Certainly.

Mr Obama said: 'We don’t have a stronger friend and stronger ally than Nicolas Sarkozy, and the French people.'
David Brandon: 'Brady Hoke was our first choice.'

Both statements are about the same in my opinion. Fluff... Everyone know that France and the US have had issues in the past on some international things. Everyone also knows that you don't bad mouth a nation when you are trying to establish/expand relations with them. You're not going to stand up and say: "Yeah, we've had issues with France and we like UK better right now, but hey, let's go on and see if we can't make things work here, right?"

Similarly, everyone knows that Hoke was probably NOT Brandon's first choice. But when you're introducing a guy, you don't down play him... you don't talk about anyone you would have rather had. No one is going to stand up and say: "Hey, you know, we would have really preferred Harbaugh, but he's going to the NFL, so we went with Hoke instead. But hey, let's see what we can make of this, right?"

I'm sorry, when was Palin elected to the POTUS? When was Palin a POTUS candidate?

Don't you know that John McCain was only seconds away from a fatal heart attack and so you were really voting for Palin as the president, not McCain.

And not, I'm not exaggerating... well, okay, a little bit. But I seriously know of at least three people who specifically said that a major reason for not voting for McCain was that he was very old and very likely to die early in the first term and that would make Palin the president and she did not have a enough experience to qualify as a president.

The UK is just a tiny island full of inbred wankers, anyway. (Trying to draw BST out, lol)

No darling, that's England. They think they're an island and they're definitely wankers.

Zogby published a poll asking who would you vote for if they were on the ballot. Christie won with 27% followed by Romney at 17%, Palin at 16%, and Huckabee at 14%. Nobody else was over 5%.

Christie was also the only one that beat President Obama head to head in the poll from the GOP side. He won 43-40. Romney tied President Obama at 41 each.

Christie had an impressive margin with independents. He holds a 42-29 lead over the President with independents.

Christie is pretty adamant about not running. For whatever reason I tend to believe him.

Just tossing it out there. I know polls mean nothing right now.

No darling, that's England. They think they're an island and they're definitely wankers.

talk about your blood libels...

I can see the Mike Meyers SNL sketch where he runs the Scottish store and he has to continually correct people that Ireland and Scotland are different. He even pulls out a map toward the end of the sketch to illustrate that the two places are separated by the sea.

As to the "substance" of the "article," give me a break.

It's the DAILY ****ING MAIL! Romad - in his infinite wisdom - posted an article from the British National Enquirer (one of them, there are so many) and got people to believe it. Unbelievable.

And even if Obama gave Sarkozy and the French a compliment (horror of horrors! FREEDOM FRIES!), so what? It's called diplomacy. I know that eight years of Texas tonguetwisters has made us immune to what diplomacy is, but giving compliments to your allies and friends is common practice among politicians.

I can't wait for him to compliment the Chinese and have Romad let us know all know how that's a sure sign he loves terrorists and Biff can post some funny picture and we can all laugh.

Did they uphold it as a reason? No, of course not. Did they get caught? Certainly.

no, I'm pretty sure they didn't get caught

As to the "substance" of the "article," give me a break.

It's the DAILY ****ING MAIL! Romad - in his infinite wisdom - posted an article from the British National Enquirer (one of them, there are so many) and got people to believe it. Unbelievable.

And even if Obama gave Sarkozy and the French a compliment (horror of horrors! FREEDOM FRIES!), so what? It's called diplomacy. I know that eight years of Texas tonguetwisters has made us immune to what diplomacy is, but giving compliments to your allies and friends is common practice among politicians.

I can't wait for him to compliment the Chinese and have Romad let us know all know how that's a sure sign he loves terrorists and Biff can post some funny picture and we can all laugh.

I've made clear that its a gaffe. You can denigrate the paper and me, apparently. Its still his mess to deal with.

I've made clear that its a gaffe. You can denigrate the paper and me, apparently. Its still his mess to deal with.

I think he dealt with it

prolly just by realizing its a manufactroversy by the rabid right and discarding it into the manufactroversy scrap heap with all the other attempts that failed. It probably landed right on top of "indoctrinating children in a school during a speech".

I stand corrected! :happy: (my Irish and Welsh grandparents must have rolled in their graves when I posted that eh?)

But it's the Mail.

Seriously - the Mail's incredibly xenophobic/little englander line really means it's not all that useful when it comes to this sort of thing - I've not seen this reported in a broadsheet; it might have been but I couldn't find it. It's places like the Mail and the Express which have this anti-furriner pov to run through just about everything they report.

Hell, the mail's reporting of rising birthrates last year was incredibly funny - the way they seemed to only be able to find blame to place at the feet of immigrant mothers whilst celebrating the rise in br was amazing in terms of the hoops the writers had to jump through to get to a totally unsustainable migrant bashing position.

This might have happened - partially at least (tbh I'd love to see a transcript because the reporting seems to be incredibly lacking in actual substance aside from rentaquotes from anti-foreign think tanks). But I don't think it's really anywhere near a huge deal outside of the minds of Mail reporters and some of their readers.

Just read some of the comments on the report to get a flavour of the sort of spuddery that's being thrown around.

Zogby published a poll asking who would you vote for if they were on the ballot. Christie won with 27% followed by Romney at 17%, Palin at 16%, and Huckabee at 14%. Nobody else was over 5%.

Christie was also the only one that beat President Obama head to head in the poll from the GOP side. He won 43-40. Romney tied President Obama at 41 each.

Christie had an impressive margin with independents. He holds a 42-29 lead over the President with independents.

Christie is pretty adamant about not running. For whatever reason I tend to believe him.

Just tossing it out there. I know polls mean nothing right now.

I believe Christie when he says he won't run. His temper gets him into trouble too often.