sbcaptain2

2011 Minor League Transactions

Villarreal>Weinhardt

I like Villareal, but that doesn't mean this isn't disappointing and surprising about Weinhardt. It's a pretty far fall, given that he pitched pretty well for Detroit last season, to AA this season.

I like Villareal, but that doesn't mean this isn't disappointing and surprising about Weinhardt. It's a pretty far fall, given that he pitched pretty well for Detroit last season, to AA this season.
Chaz chose a new AAT and this is the result.

Whitecaps assign Javier Azcona to Connecticut, recall Josh Ashenbrenner | MLive.com

Javier Azcona’s time with the West Michigan Whitecaps turned out to be short.

The Whitecaps transferred the 19-year-old infielder to Connecticut of the New York-Penn League on Monday afternoon, and recalled infielder Josh Ashenbrenner from Connecticut.

Azcona had been recalled June 6 after infielder Ryan Soares went on the disabled list with a fractured right ulna. He appeared in just three games with the Whitecaps, batting .222 with two hits and five RBIs.

Azcona also appeared in 52 games with the Gulf Coast League Tigers last season. He hit .256 with three home runs and 14 RBIs.

Ashenbrenner, 23, hit .260 in 63 games with Connecticut last season. He had 59 hits and 18 RBIs

I was referring more to your comments in the earlier part of the season.

I was referring more to your comments in the earlier part of the season.

That I wasn't a fan of subjecting Weinhardt to waivers to take him off the 40-man? I wasn't, and if it was done today, still wouldn't be. But that has basically nothing to do with Villareal. It's not like I was suggesting to pass him through waviers instead.

That I wasn't a fan of subjecting Weinhardt to waivers to take him off the 40-man? I wasn't, and if it was done today, still wouldn't be. But that has basically nothing to do with Villareal. It's not like I was suggesting to pass him through waviers instead.

I don't understand these types of posts. You were wrong. So wrong that not only did he pass through waivers, but he has now been demoted another level. Why not just admit your mistake and move on?

As it turns out, it was the right move then, and it's clearly still the right move today.

No, this:

Join us in reality, please. At the same age, Weinhardt destroyed Lakeland and Erie. Villarreal did well at both levels, but not even close to what Weinhardt did at those levels. Subsequently, Weinhardt proceeded to destroy at Toledo.

I like Villarreal, but at this stage it's not even close for me. Villarreal should be at Erie starting this season, hopefully with a mid-season promotion to Toledo.

Have you seen him pitch? Im just wondering.

Age aint nothin but a number. Theyre going to take the best relievers. Right now, BV is better than Weinhardt.

Let me guess, you stayed at the Lakeland Holiday Inn Express, right?

Brayan looks like he's part of the future of the Tiger bullpen, while Weinhardt looks like he'll be pitching in independant ball soon.

Of course, the little exposure I had with Robbie during ST does not reflect this season, I still believe he has the potential to give the team quality innings.

So where will players move in the 2nd half of their season? The franchises are pretty well staffed with quality players.

It seems they've never liked Weinhardt as much as his numbers said they should. I imagine there's a reason for that. I hope he makes it but their treatment of him says bad things about his chances.

Guys, he's getting rocked in AAA this year!

No one disputes that. But it's the first time it's happened, he was pretty rock solid all the way up through each stop. And he pitched well at AAA and in the majors just last year. It seems to me that maybe something is not right, as opposed to he just suddenly sucks.

Maybe it's mechanical. Maybe something flattened out. I don't think he's getting the same velocity as in the past. This stuff is possibly correctible. And if it is correctible, then I still don't see why he needed to be subjected to waivers.

I don't have an issue with the demotion, it could be the right move. But I question whether he's healthy, or why they weren't able to work on any mechanical flaws in Toledo.

I don't understand these types of posts. You were wrong. So wrong that not only did he pass through waivers, but he has now been demoted another level. Why not just admit your mistake and move on?

As it turns out, it was the right move then, and it's clearly still the right move today.

You can't be wrong in a matter of opinion. I don't think he should have been removed for a 3 day stint of Wilk, in which I don't think Wilk even pitched if I recall correctly. What's happened subsequently, doesn't change this.

And I said at the time, I thought he would pass through waivers unclaimed, but still didn't think it was the right move because there was risk involved with it. So how is that wrong exactly? He passed waiver and I said I thought he would.

In terms of wrong today, we clearly have room on the 40-man for Weinhardt, as we are carrying a lot of junk. So I think he should be on the roster. The real issue at hand is what has changed with Weinhardt between last season and this year. That's where the focus should be.

It seems they've never liked Weinhardt as much as his numbers said they should. I imagine there's a reason for that. I hope he makes it but their treatment of him says bad things about his chances.

He doesn't have the same stuff this year, don't know why.

You can't be wrong in a matter of opinion. I don't think he should have been removed for a 3 day stint of Wilk, in which I don't think Wilk even pitched if I recall correctly. What's happened subsequently, doesn't change this.

Wilk pitched 3-4 scoreless innings saving the pen during that time.

And I said at the time, I thought he would pass through waivers unclaimed, but still didn't think it was the right move because there was risk involved with it. So how is that wrong exactly? He passed waiver and I said I thought he would.

There's risk involved in passing any player through waivers. In Weinhardt, a guy who has struggled mightily this year, there is a lot less risk, especially for a guy who doesn't have the raw stuff that will make another team jump at him.

In terms of wrong today, we clearly have room on the 40-man for Weinhardt, as we are carrying a lot of junk. So I think he should be on the roster. The real issue at hand is what has changed with Weinhardt between last season and this year. That's where the focus should be.

What junk?

Zach Samuels -- From Erie To Lakeland

Justin Henry -- Erie, Placed on DL

CJ Retherford -- Signed, Assigned to Erie

Zach Simons -- Erie, do to come off DL

Brad Thomas -- To Toledo, begin rehab assignment

Dan Gentzler -- From Lakeland to Connecticut

Edited by fyrftrjim

Why, in your opinion, should he be on the 40-man roster?

So where will players move in the 2nd half of their season? The franchises are pretty well staffed with quality players.

I am hoping that WM will stay basically the way it is with few changes. I feel pretty confident that Nick Castellanos will stay put--there appears to be a number of things he is working on, part of which is adjusting to third base and instincts of fielding there. (He is doing a good job, but appears to be working on little things).

I fear that we will lose Brantly--he is just playing too well. I hope for Hernan Perez' sake that he moves up. He is playing really well and this is the third partial year he has been in WM. I hate to lose either of these guys, and hope that Detroit does what is typical of them and keeps a team that is really starting to show some team chemistry together.