Al de Blanc

Defensive Coordinator

I like Bedford a lot. I just don't understand why they wouldn't have him signed already if there was a mutual interest. That's what makes me believe it has to be somebody still coaching one of the playoff teams.

Yeah, this makes sense. I guess its just another wait and see type of deal.

Bedford remains my number one choice. What he has done with secondaries in his career is remarkable. Hoke will no doubt coach the D-Line. I think this defense will be massively improved next season.

Hasn't done so great of things as a DC necessarily though. Not saying I don't like him though.

Ron English is the big rumor name right now!

I guess he put on his Twitter or Facebook, about talking to Brady Hoke, and that news is coming soon.

???

EDIT: this has to be fake .. wow, sorry for posting. Nothing to see here :bandit:

Edited by JonBenke

Still no DC and we are now into The Process II. If Michigan is looking to hire the DC from an NFL team that is still alive in the playoffs, it is at the expense of pulling in some defensive recruits. The media is finally starting to notice the absence of a DC:

Michigan coach Brady Hoke still looking for defensive assistants | detnews.com | The Detroit News

No real news here. Mattison coached the line in "92-'96 and was the DC in '95 and '96. He didn't leave on great terms taking a lateral to be the DC at Notre Dame saying words to the effect that now his kids could get a good education for free. (Maybe someone has the link?). Did not tell anyone on staff he was making the move. He was a very good recruiter.

Mattison is currently the DC of the Ravens and is taking heat for the loss to the Steelers. He does have a son that was on their practice squad this year. Hard to think he would leave unless forced out.

Ron English is the big rumor name right now!

I guess he put on his Twitter or Facebook, about talking to Brady Hoke, and that news is coming soon.

???

EDIT: this has to be fake .. wow, sorry for posting. Nothing to see here :bandit:

So it was fake? Weird. I'm not sure I'd want English necessarily anyways. He'd be a solid hire, but not special.

NFL.com news: Ravens DC Mattison may leave for same job at Michigan

Ravens DC Mattison may leave for same job at Michigan

Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Greg Mattison is under consideration for the same position at the University of Michigan, the Baltimore Sun reported Tuesday, citing a league source.

Mattison, who has interviewed with Michigan, coached with new Wolverines coach Brady Hoke under Jack Harbaugh at Western Michigan and Lloyd Carr at Michigan.

The Ravens defense has ranked in the top 10 in the NFL during both of Mattison's seasons as coordinator after Rex Ryan left to take the New York Jets coaching job.

The Sun reported defensive backs coach Chuck Pagano could be a front-runner to replace Mattison if he leaves for Michigan.

Ooops, forgot to comment.

Do people leave the NFL for college if its the same job/position?

Maybe he likes college better the than the NFL? This would be a good hire, if true.

Is Greg Robinson still available?

I assume Mattison only leaves if he feels he is likely to be fired or something. Either way, I sure hope we pay up for the DC we want. Not only do we have a cheap HC with cheap assistants, our HC is never likely to become extremely expensive even if he is good. Pay up Coleman, I'm tired of your F'in bullcrap! Michigan has money coming out it's ***, they don't even need public funding.

Baltimore radio station reporting it is a done deal. Mattison to UM as DC.

Now can we get Corwin Brown to UM.

Great hire. NFL ties are huge in recruiting. Michigan isnt messing around on the defensive side of the ball next season.

This guy just coached some of the best defensive players on the planet .. that has to sell recruiting!

Hey, recruits .. want to play defense for the guy who just coached Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, etc...

True. But I think his kid is attending Florida. So he has a little more incentive.

Mattison's daughter, Lisa, lives in Ann Arbor and is expecting a child soon.

Mattison's daughter, Lisa, lives in Ann Arbor and is expecting a child soon.

Local ties always help. This is exciting man. All Mattison has to do is name drop...To recruit: "I was on the phone with Ray Lewis the other day...." Doesnt even matter from there. Strong NFL connections means a lot to recruits. Hoke has assembled a nice staff.

This guy just coached some of the best defensive players on the planet .. that has to sell recruiting!

Hey, recruits .. want to play defense for the guy who just coached Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, etc...

Now if only he could bring a few of those guys with him...:wink:

Now if only he could bring a few of those guys with him...:wink:

He doesn't have to ;)

He just needs to convince kids they can be the next _____________ ;)

Lets finish this and bring Corwin brown back for DB coach, another excellent recruiter and coach.

LB recruit Kellen Jones just called mgoblog recruiting expert TomVH singing The Victors.

I think it's safe to pull the "soft" from his verbal :bandit:

Yes, pretty happy about this one. NFL style D-coordinator from a team that plays a fierce attacking defense. Will be a big shock from Rodriquez's finesse defense.