hueytaxi

Jan. 2011 Fan Club Meeting

Dear Flying Tigers Fan Club Members,

As a follow up to the phone call you received last week, the next Fan Club meeting will be this Saturday, January 15 at 10am. We'll meet in the Rec Hall next to the Administration Office. We'll be discussing plans for the upcoming 2011 Flying Tigers season, so come ready to provide your ideas and feedback. If you have not already done so, please RSVP via e-mail to ryan.eason@detroittigers.com or call (863) 413-4140. We look forward to seeing everyone!

Ryan Eason

Ticket Manager - Lakeland Operations

Detroit Tigers

2125 N. Lake Ave.

Lakeland, FL 33805

(863) 413-4138 (admin. office)

(863) 413-4142 (box office)

I don't see why not. Remind me when you in Florida.

Larry

2010 AAT Brandon Douglas

2011 ??

I know the staff has always welcomed fans. Did we have a March meeting last year? I guess I could scroll through this thread.

I know the staff has always welcomed fans. Did we have a March meeting last year? I guess I could scroll through this thread.

Nope

Dear Flight Crew Members,

Due to a mandatory organizational meeting the March Fan Club meeting scheduled for this Wednesday has been cancelled.

Our next Fan Club event will be the Meet the Team Luncheon on Wednesday, April 7 at 12:00pm in the Tiger Town Cafeteria. Members will have an opportunity to eat lunch with the Flying Tigers players and coaches. Our guest speakers will be Florida State League President Chuck Murphy and Flying Tigers manager Andy Barkett. The Flying Tigers will play an exhibition game against Southeastern University at 6pm at Joker Marchant Stadium. Admission to the exhibition is $2. Proceeds will benefit the Detroit Tigers Foundation of Florida.

If you have not RSVP'd for the luncheon please do so via email or by calling (863) 413-4140.

Ryan Eason

Ticket Manager - Lakeland Operations

Detroit Tigers

2125 N. Lake Ave.

Lakeland, FL 33805

(863) 413-4138 (admin. office)

(863) 413-4142 (box office) ]

Thanks for posting Roger, guess I'm not important,I didn't receive no phone call or e-mail.

wow! check with Ryan and see if your email address is still valid..we did not get a call, but an email, but we did change email address and advised them at the Xmas sale

I don't see why not. Remind me when you in Florida.

Larry

2010 AAT Brandon Douglas

2011 ??

We'll be down there March 3rd-9th...attending the games on the 4th and the 8th. Can't wait!

Being a Saturday we might catch a few players in front of the clubhouse preparing to stretch before the meeting. By the time we get out, might catch some headed to the cafeteria or the dorms. I'm thinking of a late breakfast. Charlie's is good as are several other spots. Anyone wish to meet up after?

Being a Saturday we might catch a few players in front of the clubhouse preparing to stretch before the meeting. By the time we get out, might catch some headed to the cafeteria or the dorms. I'm thinking of a late breakfast. Charlie's is good as are several other spots. Anyone wish to meet up after?

I'll be in New Jersey. Can you post the highlights of the meeting on this thread. Thanks

Larry

PS How are you feeling ?

I'll be in New Jersey. Can you post the highlights of the meeting on this thread. Thanks

Larry

PS How are you feeling ?

Going to the cold weather, have fun in New Jersey.

That sounds good meeting after the meeting.

Got the phone call but I'll be changing planes in Atlanta. Sounds like an important meeting. Talked to Zach at Xmas sale he said they want to get our feedback on the activities this year. Well, hope it is a fruitful meeting.

Nice meeting today at Tigertown. Lot of momentum going into the beginning of the 75th Anniversary of the bonding of the Detroit tigers with the City of Lakeland. Ron Myers who actually closed the meeting talked at length of this and the events planned. But he also went back to last year at this time. Detroit had given him a goal of ticket sales. It was huge. The industry rule of thumb is to presell 40% of those sales by opening day and Ron and the staff were at 12%. There is not sales staff. We have Dan and the 4-5 interns plus the permanent staff of 4. What a way to begin 2010.

Jump to October when final numbers were being totaled and every demand had been exceeded and the firsts were too many to write down. Additional parking for 2011 is now being finished in the old rustic overflow lot which has been covered with a layer of the grass from JMS. We have a completely new playing surface with superior drainage capeability. All of the minor league fields infields received the same level of rebuilding.

And so we move into what to look at with the LFT. We know the staff and will meet our new Commander soon. He has been in to tour the facility once already and lives in Zephyrhills.

We have 4 of 5 new interns here since New Years and all spoke briefly to us: Alex Pardy (Mi as I recall), Kelvin Colon Miami), Chris Johnson (NJ, but living in St. Augustine while attending school) and Zach Wendel (?) I may have screwed this up as I didn't take notes. No anchorbabe this season.

Staff went over the events of the 75th Celebration week which should be up on Detroit's and Lakeland's websites. One interesting event will be a scavencer hunt in downtown where 40 of our minor league players in jerseys will be stationed. This would be on Feb. 25 from 6-10 PM.

Season Tickets will remain at $210 (35 game undated package at $105. Renewal packets due out Feb. 1 with tacket availablity TBA. A suggestion to advertize the benefits of a full season package was discussed. Few realize that they could liiterally only attend one game, turn in your unused tickeds and receive $207 in food, drink or designated merchandise. So you do not worry if a game is called. Keep your ticket and when you return you can take it to the box office to exchange for a replacement current ticket to bring a guest or convert to "Cat Cash" to use as described above.

Road trips will return with 4 choices tossed in for discussion:

May 14 @ Charlotte

May 28 @ Palm Beach (Memorial Day weekend)

July 9 @ Bradenton

July 23 @ Jupiter

Asked if there was interest in a Jupiter/PalmBeach overnight Amtrak trip with the team bus providing local transportation. Accomodations are downtown, clean with an Applebee's and a sports bar across the street and a McDonald's in front. Modern stadium which we try and make each season.

STH Detroit game options are:

March vs Marlins with picnic @ 11 AM, game @ 1 PM or

March 24th vs Nationals with picnic @ 4 PM, game @ 6 PM.

Fan Club is at a low membershipp compared to STH, we need to help promote both.

Day and time were discussed wth good reasons to hold the meetings on non game days (frees up staff from pregame duties and means the meetings do not have to begin by 5 PM.)

Ideas for guest speakers was tossed out and there is a good chance we will have some of our players join us to talk informally.

Interest in a Pitcher/Player of the month will most likely return.

Do we want another fan club tshirt?

Giveaways will continue on Fridays but will not include bobbleheads unless we are in on a detroit deal. Past items may have been popular, but did not increase ticket sales or defray their costs.

Thursdays will continue with a festival type feel ($1 beer was NOT discussed but beer garden tasting nighte were)

Much more was quickly reviewed that also occurred last year such as the daytime education and YMCA days, Taste of Lakeland; entertaining guests in Myron Noodleman and Phillie Phantastic

Sorry I only took a few notes and hope Chaz (w/family) or Fyrftrjim will chime in on things they remember. Following the meeting, 8 of the regulars met for lunch.

Then I got dragged into Michaels and LOL spent more than Team Mom. Picked up a new Exacto set and a series of drawing templates to continue a logo project I'm developing. Hard to reproduce a 1967 memory down to pen and ink.

you done good Roger...really nothing to add except Ron spoke on the All Star uniform fiasco last year. He advised that he bought the uniforms to give them to players fathers that were in attendance. He does have 5 jerseys, but not sure what to do with them to make it fair to fans..Spring training is going to be exciting as players from past World Series will be honored at the stadium...if I think of anything else, I will post it

One big item I forgot about, the controversy last midseason concerning the "buy the jersey off your back" at the Alll Star Game. The staff of our LFT received a lot of flack without any or little explanation. Ron Myers addressed this today. When the staff looked at the goodie bags that the host had prepared for our players, they got slightly mad at the cheap trinkets enclosed. Basically a commerative cup. With the auction about to get underway, Ron Myers wrote a blank check (virtually) to outbid anyone on the LFT players jerseys. With many of the players in attendance, each family received their son's jersey or had it delivered to them. So we may see the "jersey replicas" also signed and not game worn yet another day. This was strongly hinted at for a special event or occcasion. I wish I had been able to post this the week of the game. We had major disappointment within the fan base who felt they had been dumped on by their own club and also by our own Tiger's staff for the flack.

Roger, are they(LFT) still going to have all you can eat Wed. night home games,for $10?

I will put in my 2 cents now.

1. We will continue to have all you can eat Wednesday's and they will request that ALL resturaurnts being enough food to last.

2. They will have more taste of Lakeland with more places coming this year. Last year they only was chilli and wings. The first one will be April 7th.

3. They will continue Friday night giveaways but only mentioned the magnets, team picture, player cards and a t shirt for sure. They asked if we like piggy banking with Detroit and getting things that didn't say LTF but Detroit. Some give aways may be more child friendly and some more adult friendly.

4. Fire works will end at the July 4th game and maybe the next Saturday.

5.Season ticket holders will continue to have a meet and greet with the players, bowling on June 28 and the end of the year breakfast.

6. I asked if we could have an autograph session on the day they hand out the team picture.

7. Roger mentioned the 4 male interns. I more is coming this week. We will see how they do without the fluff the girls add to the activities.

I think we have included everything in these emails.

Sorry I couldn't make this one due to business trip. All looks positive to me, my only real comment is on giveaways I'd rather see LFT branded merchandise. They went to trouble and expense to create the new brand image a few years ago, seems a shame not to use it and promote it more, that's just my opinion, I guess they have to weigh cost + benefit in the end.

Sorry I couldn't make this one due to business trip. All looks positive to me, my only real comment is on giveaways I'd rather see LFT branded merchandise. They went to trouble and expense to create the new brand image a few years ago, seems a shame not to use it and promote it more, that's just my opinion, I guess they have to weigh cost + benefit in the end.
The issue with local products is they must be given away or the profit must go to charity unless Detroit and MLB approves the item. They can do a run of t shirts relatively cheap compared to having artwork developed for new products.

One big item I forgot about, the controversy last midseason concerning the "buy the jersey off your back" at the Alll Star Game. The staff of our LFT received a lot of flack without any or little explanation. .

Thanks for the update on the meeting !! I was in Detroit, actually walking next to Comerica Park Saturday night, looked a little different with the snow cover. lol

Just for the record, they received plenty of explanation on why everyone was "disappointed" in the situation. Glad they have acknowledged it though. Sounds like there were good intentions, but handled poorly.

I also didn't receive a phone call regarding the meeting.

None of us included that there was talk of bringing back the player and pitcher of the month award which the Fan clud did for over 10 years.

They also said something about the season ticker holder of the year. They tired it monthly but lost interest after naming members. I think they got a lot of flack over their first few picks so they stopped it.

Zack is really trying to be more intune with us and actually stoped and talked to many of us. Ryan was his usual super nice guy. Shannon just sat in the back and didn't say anything. Dan named all the things he is working on which have already been mentioned. Elise was missing.

Oh the Tigers and staff that we lost over the last year will be remembered at both Spring Training and our first game.