Deleterious

Hoke Named Michigan Football Coach

Hoke has been successful at every school he has coached. He took a horrible BSU team and made them winners. Then he took over a horrible SDSU team and he turned them around. As mentioned above, this season, he had four losses that his team could have won.

There is a very good chance he will continue that success at UM. It may not happen over night but there will be a noticeable difference and improvement each year.

I seem to remember a huge push at OSU back in 2001 to convince Glen Mason to come there, or Mike Bellotti from Oregon, before "settling" for Jim Tressel. Harbaugh chose the NFL before a decision could be made. Les Miles has done nothing at LSU but continue to talk about his love for UM in order to get his current boss to up the ante.

And if I remember right, Pete Carroll wasn't USC's first choice and the fans weren't that thrilled about him.

So, if Hoke goes straight to the pro style offense are we allowed to bash him if we go 3-9 this year? If he doesn't pull a good recruiting class can we blame him for that 3 years from now? If this transition goes slowly and most of his recruits are sophomores in year 3 can we say that is all his fault not RichRods?

I say these things because I expect a slow transition. I do not think this is the best hire but I am willing to give the guy a chance. However, in my opinion my thinking is back to where it was before the 2008 season. I am hoping for 6 or 7 wins and a bowl game but feeling like we will only get 4 wins. I feel like it's going to take 3-4 years for this transition to gain steam and look successful, and I think he is going to need time to get the right players in place for this system and it might not be fun for a couple of years. I am willing to support him through it though, even if we are 15-22 after 3 years. Is everyone else?

What evidence do you have that would suggest he would force a pro-style offense on Michigan right now?

YUCK. The best coach michigan can find is Hoke. You have got to be kidding me.

Do you have a reason for not liking Hoke?

So, if Hoke goes straight to the pro style offense are we allowed to bash him if we go 3-9 this year? If he doesn't pull a good recruiting class can we blame him for that 3 years from now? If this transition goes slowly and most of his recruits are sophomores in year 3 can we say that is all his fault not RichRods?

I say these things because I expect a slow transition. I do not think this is the best hire but I am willing to give the guy a chance. However, in my opinion my thinking is back to where it was before the 2008 season. I am hoping for 6 or 7 wins and a bowl game but feeling like we will only get 4 wins. I feel like it's going to take 3-4 years for this transition to gain steam and look successful, and I think he is going to need time to get the right players in place for this system and it might not be fun for a couple of years. I am willing to support him through it though, even if we are 15-22 after 3 years. Is everyone else?

Unless a bunch of people transfer out soon, I can't see UM going 3-9 next year. Between an easier schedule and having a ton of players returning next year I think any record worse than last year's is a bad sign for Hoke's long term prospects at UM.

Hoke already has more support from the administration than RichRod ever did. Hoke will have to be really bad over a long period of time (5+ years) in order for David Brandon and Lloyd Carr to even consider firing him. Hoke is a member of Michigan football "good ol' boy" network -- he has very, very good job security.

Originally posted by Fool Inc.

What evidence do you have that would suggest he would force a pro-style offense on Michigan right now?

The little I have gotten to watch SDSU play this year and that fact that he said himself. Football is about the power offense and that the spread and running QB's are like basketball on grass and should be avoided.

Originally posted by qsilvr2531

Unless a bunch of people transfer out soon, I can't see UM going 3-9 next year. Between an easier schedule and having a ton of players returning next year I think any record worse than last year's is a bad sign for Hoke's long term prospects at UM.

I don't think we will go 3-9 next year but it wouldn't shock me either. It all depends on what players decide to stick around and how we adapt our next offense to the current talent. I know the schedule gets a bit easier but I still expect a transition. The defense should be better just by virtue of more experience. I still wouldn't expect anything like 9-3. I won't make a prediction until we get closer to the fall and we see what the roster looks like and what offense is being worked on.

Originally posted by Euphdude

Hoke already has more support from the administration than RichRod ever did. Hoke will have to be really bad over a long period of time (5+ years) in order for David Brandon and Lloyd Carr to even consider firing him. Hoke is a member of Michigan football "good ol' boy" network -- he has very, very good job security.

The parts I bolded are the problem for me.

1. I thought the pathetic support RichRod got here from day 1 was depressing, and set the framework for him to fail from the start, not succeed.

2. Why is Lloyd Carr so involved? I think his opinion should be valued, but also taken as just that, another opinion. Lloyd Carr is part of the reason Michigan was slipping further away from relevance last decade. Why would Michigan want to go back to that?

3. I'm sick of the Michigan good ol boy network. That to me is the biggest problem with the Hoke hire. I don't think Hoke is a horrible coach, I just don't think he has proven he is a good enough coach to take this job. I could turn out to be way wrong on that and I hope I am. I just feel like we weakened our pool by sticking strictly to our good ol boy network, and that bugs me.

Michigan goes 11-1 next year, with a win against OSU. Hoke will no longer be questioned.

I think he is going to surprise people with his defense. I expect Denard to stay and to be a Heisman front-runner. Defense will be top 40.

Michigan goes 11-1 next year, with a win against OSU. Hoke will no longer be questioned.

I think he is going to surprise people with his defense. I expect Denard to stay and to be a Heisman front-runner. Defense will be top 40.

If Michigan goes 11-1 next year I have no reason to question Hoke. I don't see it happening though. I expected improvement next year to the tune of 9-10 wins if RR was still the coach. I think with a new coach and now knowing exactly what system of offense in place or what players will still be around it is reasonable to expect less.

The defense should improve with a new defensive staff and just by the fact that all these young guys will be more experienced next year. I wouldn't expect top 40 though.

Even if Denard sticks around I don't see him being a Heisman front-runner either. Lets face it. Like RichRod or not, Denard was a perfect fit for his scheme. There is a reason no other coach in the country was willing to give Robinson a shot at QB. Robinson is not the kind of quarterback who can drop back, read defenses and make the right throw. He becomes a good passer based on his ability to make defenses respect his running ability. He won't be as much of a running threat without RR.

We just don't have the talent on defense to be that successful during Hoke's first year. However I am fully confident the defense will be VASTLY improved, and I expect we will win 8 games.

We just don't have the talent on defense to be that successful during Hoke's first year. However I am fully confident the defense will be VASTLY improved, and I expect we will win 8 games.

I am also under the assumption we wont have the talent, which is why I think everyone is going to be really impressed.

Top 40 defense, that's my prediction.

I'm sorry but it's just silly to say that all of our defensive talent is poor. A bunch of 4 stars are crap talent now because they didnt' come in and become studs as freshman or even sophomores? Many of our guys probably would have redshirted under normal circumstances and we were counting on them for big minutes. It wasn't one freshman having to fill a spot on a veteran defense either, it was all clueless youngsters. Their lack of tackling fundamentals,size and knowledge/comfort are not a reflection of Rodriguez or even Robinson(not that I like him as a DC) as coaches. It is possible that these coaches sucked at teaching defensive fundamentals and defense as a whole, but the fact that a defense that was extremely young didn't perform does not tell us such.

Everyone likes to say "Who's fault is it that they were young?", well, he had 2, maybe 2 and a half recruiting classes if you really want to argue it. How old can you get in that time? The last full Carr class wasn't his strongest and the hybrid Carr/R.Rod class was hurt by the timing of the coaching search, much like the current one. Not only was Lloyd's last class not his best, a lot of his top guys left when Rich Rodriguez and his different philosophy came in. Also, the main reason RR was brought here was his spread offense, for which there were zero parts when he got here. So, I think it's reasonable to have put his initial focus on obtaining the parts needed to run that offense, which he wasn't able to do until after year 1 due to the timing of his hiring. Had he pulled Pryor somehow, he may have been much farther ahead of schedule, as Pryor is a year older than Denard and also was more polished out of HS. Denard couldn't take the job on a lousy UM team, Pryor was playing on a very good OSU team. So the D is not only guaranteed to be young, but also to not have the same amount of high end recruits and even scholarship players.

Who cares if you're young? Either you retain information or you cant. Either you can play or you cant. Alabama was young. They had a bad defense for Alabama standards, but would have been one of the best in the big 10. Who cares if you get a bunch of 4 stars. Wisconsin gets a bunch of 3 stars and they dominate every year.

8 wins is a reasonable expectation if some things break our way like players staying and Hoke adapting to our current offensive talent. However I am not going to count on it. With the amount of returning starters we should be in decent shape to win depending on how Hoke handles the transition.

I'm not getting the Borges hate. I don't see why a version of the Gulf Coast Offense wouldn't work with Denard and would be a perfect fit for Devin Gardner.

I agree. I think Denard can run it just fine. Maybe not exactly how you would with a Tom Brady type QB, but in his own, explosively fast sorta way. I tend to think Mike Vick in Atlanta when I think about it. Basically what he will have to execute most of the time, assuming we can get a high quality running game, is play action, boot legs, QB draws and basic 3rd down type read and react plays. He isn't a drop back passer, but it's not hard to mold a pro style offense around a guy like Robinson.

I agree. I think Denard can run it just fine. Maybe not exactly how you would with a Tom Brady type QB, but in his own, explosively fast sorta way. I tend to think Mike Vick in Atlanta when I think about it. Basically what he will have to execute most of the time, assuming we can get a high quality running game, is play action, boot legs, QB draws and basic 3rd down type read and react plays. He isn't a drop back passer, but it's not hard to mold a pro style offense around a guy like Robinson.

I'm with you on that. However, with Gardner and his size I tend to think more about Pryor running OSU's offense as a better comparison. Doable though.

I've read somewhere through this whole circus of speculation that Hoke's S & C coach, Aaron Wellman, is pretty impressive. Florida twice tried to hire him away from Hoke.

Someone mentioned to me that we needed to take him if we got Hoke actually. I then mentioned the Barwis thing, but they were pretty sold on this guy.

I'm with you on that. However, with Gardner and his size I tend to think more about Pryor running OSU's offense as a better comparison. Doable though.

Yah, Gardner is more Pryor, Robinson is more Vick(lite obviously) when he was still unrefined in ATL.

Who cares if you're young? Either you retain information or you cant. Either you can play or you cant. Alabama was young. They had a bad defense for Alabama standards, but would have been one of the best in the big 10. Who cares if you get a bunch of 4 stars. Wisconsin gets a bunch of 3 stars and they dominate every year.

Alabama was not young like us, sorry. Saban's been rolling over 30 man, cream of the crop recruiting classes over there for a while now. I doubt you can find a D in our circumstances that

As for the stars, I don't necessarily care what their rankings are. Like you say, Wisconsin wins with 3 stars quite a bit. I'm just saying, to automatically assume that Hoke has zero talent to work with on D is silly. We have quite a few young guys who were highly rated. Highly rated guys often don't work out, but they deserve a chance to show their talent or lack there of. Plenty of guys who are now studs in the NFL were either ineffective or redshirted as freshman. I'd suggest it's even the norm for many of them.

Are your football prognostications typically as valuable as your basketball ones???:wink:

Are your football prognostications typically as valuable as your basketball ones???:wink:

I didn't want to say it but I was thinking the same thing.

I think he had just finished telling the team that dreads won't be allowed in 2011...All the white and short-haired folks are laughing - but make no mistake - that's anguish on Denard's face...

+1

Does Denard transfer? SEC might get into a bidding war over him.

To tell the truth I really dont care much what Denard does. Would I like him to stay? Sure but his departure wouldnt be a huge problem. Hes a great runner and would be awesopme as a returner but hes hardly a top passer and I dont believe he ever will be. Ive always thought Devin Gardner would be the starter next season whether RR left Michigan or not. Thats why he wasnt redshirted.