Deleterious

Hoke Named Michigan Football Coach

Best case scenario.

Thanks -- we hope Hoke will work out and give you guys a run for your money! : )

Im not sure how anyone that wanted Miles can disparage Hokes resume. Hoke took a moribund program at Ball State and got them into 2 bowl games and a top 25 finish. Then he went to SDSU and rebuilt them winning thier first bowl game this year since 1968.

What has Miles done thats so special? Or Harbaugh for that matter? Miles won a national championship with Sabans team. Since then LSU has underachieved for the level of talent they get not to mention the over recruiting crap that goes on in the SEC.

Harbaugh did bring Stanford up from the depths but got kinda lucky landing Andrew (no way to unpun that). And last year Stanfords D was worse than Michigans. It wasnt until he brought in that new coordinator that he had a D worthy of a top 10 ranking.

IMO Hoke is the best candidate or at least on par with an overhyped Harbaugh who probably would have bolted for the NFL with the lifetime of one recruiting class. I didnt want Miles at all. Hes got LSU in trouble with the NCAA and just seems too RR-like in his actions.

Hoke is bringing back the kind of football we love here. He wins games on the line of scrimmage. Hes got a pro style philosophy that doesnt limit recruiting options. And he this is his dream job.

This was really well said. A+

If it comes out that Michigan could have gotten Gruden would that make anyone upset?

I'm not sure Gruden would've ever been interested, but the problem with guys like Gruden and Harbaugh is that Michigan is just a stepping stone to an NFL job. I don't think Gruden would've been interested in stay at Michigan 10+ years and would jump for an NFL job. At least with Hoke I think it's safe to say he isn't going to be jumping ship soon.

Ugh nepotism hires don't seem to work out so well. What are the chances Jon would get fired if his defenses were mediocre?

I think I am more upset with the rumored assistants, I really hope that's incorrect. Obviously I don't like Hoke, but he wants the job, will obviously work hard, and is supposedly a good recruiter. But if he saddles himself with a bunch of retread assistants it's going to be like Rodriguez having Greg Robinson as his DC all over again.

I've read somewhere through this whole circus of speculation that Hoke's S & C coach, Aaron Wellman, is pretty impressive. Florida twice tried to hire him away from Hoke.

I'm surprised by the amount of positive press Hoke is getting. You'd think Michigan just hired the next Vince Lombardi.

I didn't know that he beat out Bielema for the Ball State job or that Miles had tried to hire him when he was at Oklahoma State. Brandon says he has spent his career preparing himself for this job. I don't know. I hope like heck he's successful.

I'm surprised by the amount of positive press Hoke is getting. You'd think Michigan just hired the next Vince Lombardi.

Just go over to mgoblog. All the geniuses there will be sure to disabuse you of any notion that Brady Hoke will ever be more than Bob Davie.

And they'll do it with graphs and stats, so you'll have no choice but to believe it.

If it comes out that Michigan could have gotten Gruden would that make anyone upset?

Gruden reminds me of Pitino. Telling everyone that will listen of all the offers he had just to pump himself up.

From an old Ann Arbor New story about Hoke after he left for Ball State (sorry, I can't link it, something's not working righ on my computer drop down/copy function):

Everything about Hoke indicates he could be a big-time college football coach. He's got fire and smarts, and was considered by many to be Michigan's best recruiter. The kids love him.

Just go over to mgoblog. All the geniuses there will be sure to disabuse you of any notion that Brady Hoke will ever be more than Bob Davie.

And they'll do it with graphs and stats, so you'll have no choice but to believe it.

I have been over there reading. I don't think they will ever get over Rodriguez' failure. The funniest part to me is that Brian believed Rodriguez was going to be hugely successful because of his offense (never came to be in a consistent way), media access opened up (that helped lead to the NCAA investigation with reporters milling around talking to players) and Barwis (who produced and OL and DL that was shoved around by about anybody that wasn't horrible). And yet they don't give up.

First question, as Buddha stated -- can he recruit?

We'll know here soon enough, cause it started yesterday ...... good luck.

I view this hire much like I'm sure Jim Tressel was viewed leaving Youngstown St. for Ohio St. People think there should be a stop in between, a more prestigious football coach, it'd be like Brian Kelly leaving Grand Valley for Notre Dame without stops at Central Mich. and Cincinnati, or Urban Meyer leaving Bowling Green for Florida before coaching at Utah. It doesn't make him any less of a coach, so give him a chance.

This season, San Diego St. lost at Missouri by 3, at BYU by 3, at TCU by 5, and vs. Utah by 4. They scored 35 points at TCU, TCU only allowed two other teams over 20. People are too quick to look at career record, D'Antonio was one game over .500 at Cincinnati before going to Mich St., Gene Chizik was 5-19 in two seasons at Iowa St. before being hired by Auburn, Tressel was 14-20 in his first three years before Youngstown St. turned into a powerhouse. Bret Bielema had NO head coaching experience before being hired by Wisconsin, Randy Esdall was 9-24 in his first three seasons at Connecticut, and he's the best thing that ever happened to that program.

For all we know, San Diego St. could have been the new Boise five years from now if Hoke stayed, could have been as highly regarded as Chris Peterson in five years. Three years ago, San Diego St. lost to New Mexico 70-7. Hoke is the reason that program is relevant again, he runs his offense to exploit defense's weaknesses, defensive minded, and his players (including former U-M players) seem to love him.

Give him a chance.

Edited by froggyvk

He needs a window, the cupboards are bare, and this is not his recruiting class. He can be judged based on his recruiting beginning next year, but it will take time to show on the field.

I love his comment about basketball on grass. I hate the spread, for the reasons he gave, and more.

I love his comment about basketball on grass. I hate the spread, for the reasons he gave, and more.

+1

Does Denard transfer? SEC might get into a bidding war over him.

Going to a power offense right now would be as stupid as Richrod taking the talent three years ago and trying to run the spread.

Hoke ran with what he had in SDSU and I suspect (hope), he'll do the same here while gradually moving away from Richrod's offense.

The defense? If I don't see four defensive lineman on the field at the same time, I'm going to cry.

Going to a power offense right now would be as stupid as Richrod taking the talent three years ago and trying to run the spread.

Hoke ran with what he had in SDSU and I suspect (hope), he'll do the same here while gradually moving away from Richrod's offense.

The defense? If I don't see four defensive lineman on the field at the same time, I'm going to cry.

I disagree. He's got to teach his offense. The sooner they get away from the spread, the better.

Brian (mgoblog) took a pretty extreme stance against Hoke last coaching search, and I think he was too stubborn to really significantly change his point of view despite Hoke showing over the past 3 years that he might actually be a good coach. Obviously, most of the mgoboard posters over there follow his lead, or just ***** about how stupid everyone's post is...what a horrible message board.

Without knowing any inside info, I have a hard time believing someone can decipher that Hoke is clearly a worse candidate than anyone besides Harbaugh. And with all the love that he's getting from current and former players, opposing coaches, previous employers, it's really hard to criticize this choose, although I won't have a problem do so if Michigan still sucks in 3 years.

Gruden stated earlier this week that he wasn't going back to coaching this year.

Agree with all of the above. Use Denard to begin the transition and prepare Devin for the next step in the transition.

Not really. Gruden has no experience as a recruiter and his biggest strength would be nullified or at least lessened because his offense is too hard for a young QB to run effectively. There is a reason why the only guys Gruden could win with were veterans like Rich Gannon.

At least now we're done with all those creepy private plane-tracking updates.

I know someone who works at Domino's corporate headquarters and they were laughing at all the plane stuff since almost every single time it was just a corporate meeting for the company.

So, if Hoke goes straight to the pro style offense are we allowed to bash him if we go 3-9 this year? If he doesn't pull a good recruiting class can we blame him for that 3 years from now? If this transition goes slowly and most of his recruits are sophomores in year 3 can we say that is all his fault not RichRods?

I say these things because I expect a slow transition. I do not think this is the best hire but I am willing to give the guy a chance. However, in my opinion my thinking is back to where it was before the 2008 season. I am hoping for 6 or 7 wins and a bowl game but feeling like we will only get 4 wins. I feel like it's going to take 3-4 years for this transition to gain steam and look successful, and I think he is going to need time to get the right players in place for this system and it might not be fun for a couple of years. I am willing to support him through it though, even if we are 15-22 after 3 years. Is everyone else?

I seem to remember a huge push at OSU back in 2001 to convince Glen Mason to come there, or Mike Bellotti from Oregon, before "settling" for Jim Tressel. Harbaugh chose the NFL before a decision could be made. Les Miles has done nothing at LSU but continue to talk about his love for UM in order to get his current boss to up the ante.

In Hoke, UM gets a guy who's wanted this job, has had success as a head coach, & at least understands the OSU rivalry. Will he be successful? I don't know - but I don't think it's a bad idea to give him a shot.

I seem to remember a huge push at OSU back in 2001 to convince Glen Mason to come there, or Mike Bellotti from Oregon, before "settling" for Jim Tressel. Harbaugh chose the NFL before a decision could be made. Les Miles has done nothing at LSU but continue to talk about his love for UM in order to get his current boss to up the ante.

In Hoke, UM gets a guy who's wanted this job, has had success as a head coach, & at least understands the OSU rivalry. Will he be successful? I don't know - but I don't think it's a bad idea to give him a shot.

I agree with most of what you said. I also wasn't a huge fan of Miles coming to Michigan either. However my biggest problem is, I don't know if we really opened the door to many great candidates. I feel like we only looked at guys with a Michigan connection. It was like right from the beginning our only options were Harbaugh, Miles, and Hoke. I wanted Harbaugh because of what he has done, not because he went to Michigan in the 80's. I might not have as much of a problem with the Hoke hire if I felt like we actually interviewed people other than Michigan Men.