Deleterious

Hoke Named Michigan Football Coach

Robinson is not a good QB at this point. He's a bad passer in a system that mitigates his passing problems by focusing on his running abilities. Hoke has never run a system comparable and has never shown any desire to either. Robinson might not transfer, but I have my doubts abut Robinson as a hesiman candidate in Hoke's offense.

Excuse me, bad passer? He was 20th in the country in passer efficiency. That number is helped by defenses respecting his running but same goes for guys like Tolzien, Cousins and McElroy who had great running games. Add to the fact that there is only one guy in the top twenty younger than him, I am going to say you are way off base.

As if Hoke wasn't bad enough, his rumored staff involves:

His brother at DC (lol)

a long time crony replacing Barwis as S&C

and Al freaking Borges as OC

What an abominable coaching staff, and Denard will surely be gone with a crappy pro-style coach like Borges

Since Hoke seemingly has the support of the old guard, UM will likely not be so quick to fire Hoke as they were Rich Rod. Let's hope we never to the point where we have to find this out.

I am at peace with this hire.

Don't like it, don't hate it, don't really know what to make of it.

Likes: He's a Michigan dude. He wants the job (which is apparently not a common trait). He does have some success. The rumors are that the players are happy about it (not sure how they know one way or the other about him, but it's better than them being up in arms).

Here's something: the same constituency that was all for hiring Rodriguez is now all against hiring Hoke (and I was all with them about Richrod). So it's a good possibility that they're wrong again.

Vive la Revolution. I, for one, welcome our new Hokeian leaders.

Hoke would be acceptable if he actually hired a good coaching staff, but it sounds like he's doing the exact opposite.

Never mind that according to Dave Brandon, he never offered the job to anyone other than Hoke. Which means that both Hoke was the #1 candidate (dumb) and Brandon inexplicably wasted weeks without a head coach when he wanted Hoke the entire time.

Awesome.

I think I am more upset with the rumored assistants, I really hope that's incorrect. Obviously I don't like Hoke, but he wants the job, will obviously work hard, and is supposedly a good recruiter. But if he saddles himself with a bunch of retread assistants it's going to be like Rodriguez having Greg Robinson as his DC all over again.

I think I am more upset with the rumored assistants, I really hope that's incorrect. Obviously I don't like Hoke, but he wants the job, will obviously work hard, and is supposedly a good recruiter. But if he saddles himself with a bunch of retread assistants it's going to be like Rodriguez having Greg Robinson as his DC all over again.

Since Hoke has yet to coach a big time football program I would not be surprised if he's unofficially "required" to take the advice of Brandon when it comes to certain things such as assistant coaches and coordinators.

I don't think Hoke will be bad. I just really question if he can be great.

That is my question, as well. I fear that he is a low ceiling/high floor hire and while that would be better than what we had under RR, his tenure should not be used as a standard. Lloyd Carr's results after Tressel was hired at OSU isn't the standard either. I expect us to win Big Ten titles, contend for national titles, beat our rivals and be a perennial top 5 to top 10 program. The athletic department will be united, the former players will be happy, but whether or not Hoke and his coaching staff have the ability to take our program to those heights remains to be seen.

His brother at DC (lol)

What an abominable coaching staff, and Denard will surely be gone with a crappy pro-style coach like Borges

You'll have to help me out here.

Why is Al Borges a bad/crappy choice as OC (Denard not being happy with his style of offense not being particularly relevant)?

Jon Hoke is the defensive backs coach for the Bears, why is he a laughable choice for DC? He's been coaching linebackers and d-backs in the NFL and college for about 20 years so I didn't laugh out loud when I saw that he had been hired, but maybe I will when you explain why its laugh-out-loud funny.

His S&C coach was with him when he turned around Ball State and then when he did the same at SDSU, so what about him makes him an abomination?

I'm not getting the Borges hate. I don't see why a version of the Gulf Coast Offense wouldn't work with Denard and would be a perfect fit for Devin Gardner.

His brother at DC (lol)

What's wrong with Borges? Have you been scouting SDSU games this year? Something tells me no...

What difference did Barwis make on Michigan? Who gives a **** who the S & C coach is? Didn't we learn this lesson the last three years with the AMAZING Mike Barwis leading Michigan to be bigger, stronger, and shittier at football?

Yeah, there's a lot of guys that I would have rather had than Hoke that have already proven themselves at big schools, but let's not get stuck on the script that he's a bad head coach, right now. He obviously got Ball State turned around by the end of his time there, and he completely turned SDSU around in a very short time frame. He is absolutely not an idiot. He's a better coach than Llyod Carr, IMO, although M was more of a CFB factory then.

I'm not worried about him scheme-wise, I'm not worried about his ability to coach up players, because his past several years as a head coach says he's doing that right. I'm worried if he has that *it* factor, that thing that gets Denard to stay, the thing that keeps current recruits committed, the thing that gets new recruits and new assistants to want to play and coach for him (his brother is bona fide on his own, btw). Whether he has that should be obvious soon enough....within a month.

Not sure how you can say Hoke is a better coach than Carr without even coaching a single game at Michigan yet.

Not sure how you can say Hoke is a better coach than Carr without even coaching a single game at Michigan yet.

Open your mind to new ideas and you might be able to see the logic of others opinions.

It all comes down to whether he can recruit, which none of us know yet.

Nope, but I think we should know shortly. M has so much going for it, whoever the head coach is, that even if he's not a great recruiter, he's still gonna get some good recruits. And not have to recruit smurfs or go to FL to do so.

Open your mind to new ideas and you might be able to see the logic of others opinions.

If you presented any new ideas maybe I would.

If you presented any new ideas maybe I would.

please do not respond to any more of my posts. there is an ignore list feature that i suggest you use. i will use it with you.

imo, you have done nothing on this website but attack others and promote back and forth bickering, and i'm done with it. even if you think everything is an argument, you don't have to act like a jerk to win it.

Im not sure how anyone that wanted Miles can disparage Hokes resume. Hoke took a moribund program at Ball State and got them into 2 bowl games and a top 25 finish. Then he went to SDSU and rebuilt them winning thier first bowl game this year since 1968.

What has Miles done thats so special? Or Harbaugh for that matter? Miles won a national championship with Sabans team. Since then LSU has underachieved for the level of talent they get not to mention the over recruiting crap that goes on in the SEC.

Harbaugh did bring Stanford up from the depths but got kinda lucky landing Andrew (no way to unpun that). And last year Stanfords D was worse than Michigans. It wasnt until he brought in that new coordinator that he had a D worthy of a top 10 ranking.

IMO Hoke is the best candidate or at least on par with an overhyped Harbaugh who probably would have bolted for the NFL with the lifetime of one recruiting class. I didnt want Miles at all. Hes got LSU in trouble with the NCAA and just seems too RR-like in his actions.

Hoke is bringing back the kind of football we love here. He wins games on the line of scrimmage. Hes got a pro style philosophy that doesnt limit recruiting options. And he this is his dream job.

please do not respond to any more of my posts. there is an ignore list feature that i suggest you use. i will use it with you.

imo, you have done nothing on this website but attack others and promote back and forth bickering, and i'm done with it. even if you think everything is an argument, you don't have to act like a jerk to win it.

Oh noes, you're going to ignore me.

Should I care? :confused:

You were the one who started to get defensive. I merely asked why you thought Hoke would be better than Carr given Hoke has zero experience coaching at the level of Michigan then you replied with the snarky reply.