Deleterious

Hoke Named Michigan Football Coach

SDSU will hire Hokes DC as their next coach. Not sure if he was coming with or not. But I imagine he was probably a candidate.

SDSU expected to replace Hoke with Rocky Long - SignOnSanDiego.com

San Diego State will not waste any time replacing football coach Brady Hoke, who was hired Tuesday for the same job at the University of Michigan. SDSU is expected to announce Wednesday that defensive coordinator Rocky Long will be named the Aztecs' 18th head coach.

completely disagree. There is plenty of talent that is now Sophomores and Juniors instead of Freshman and Sophomores. Bring in a decent class(already some solid defenders in the class) and you have a pretty nice talent base on defense. You have a vet defensive line that Hoke should be able to do good things with(DL coach at UM), the return of our 3 most veteran DBs from injury(Woolfolk,Floyd,M.Williams) and some emerging talents at S,CB and LB(Robinson,Furman,C.Johnson,C.Gordon,Jones,Demmens,Fitzgerald,Christian,Countess,Talbott,Crawford,Hollowell). An upgrade of defensive coaching and another year in the strengh program(whether Barwis or Hoke's guy) as well as the top Big 10 teams losing a lot of defensive talent should all help in making us a much better D, possibly top half of B10.

You are the only person with this opinion, it seems.

A year of experience, a change in scheme, and a competent coach will work wonders for the UM D, so I tend to agree with Nastradamus.

I'd paint it like this: Everyone's opinion.... the Grand Canyon.... Nastradamus' opinion.

I don't know anything about Hoke, haven't seen any of his teams play, haven't heard the guy speak once.

So ...

I too agree with Nas, and I constantly wonder about Buddha and his opinion.

Barwis is employed by the university for all of the strength training programs. He'll be retained. The recruiting class will be terrible. That's a given. Just because their untalented guys are another year older doesn't mean theyll be any better. The scheme change wont hurt, neither will getting back Trey, but they will have to learn to tackle and use correct fundamentals in order to improve.

I'm sorry but it's just silly to say that all of our defensive talent is poor. A bunch of 4 stars are crap talent now because they didnt' come in and become studs as freshman or even sophomores? Many of our guys probably would have redshirted under normal circumstances and we were counting on them for big minutes. It wasn't one freshman having to fill a spot on a veteran defense either, it was all clueless youngsters. Their lack of tackling fundamentals,size and knowledge/comfort are not a reflection of Rodriguez or even Robinson(not that I like him as a DC) as coaches. It is possible that these coaches sucked at teaching defensive fundamentals and defense as a whole, but the fact that a defense that was extremely young didn't perform does not tell us such.

Everyone likes to say "Who's fault is it that they were young?", well, he had 2, maybe 2 and a half recruiting classes if you really want to argue it. How old can you get in that time? The last full Carr class wasn't his strongest and the hybrid Carr/R.Rod class was hurt by the timing of the coaching search, much like the current one. Not only was Lloyd's last class not his best, a lot of his top guys left when Rich Rodriguez and his different philosophy came in. Also, the main reason RR was brought here was his spread offense, for which there were zero parts when he got here. So, I think it's reasonable to have put his initial focus on obtaining the parts needed to run that offense, which he wasn't able to do until after year 1 due to the timing of his hiring. Had he pulled Pryor somehow, he may have been much farther ahead of schedule, as Pryor is a year older than Denard and also was more polished out of HS. Denard couldn't take the job on a lousy UM team, Pryor was playing on a very good OSU team. So the D is not only guaranteed to be young, but also to not have the same amount of high end recruits and even scholarship players.

Barwis is employed by the university for all of the strength training programs. He'll be retained. The recruiting class will be terrible. That's a given. Just because their untalented guys are another year older doesn't mean theyll be any better. The scheme change wont hurt, neither will getting back Trey, but they will have to learn to tackle and use correct fundamentals in order to improve.

I thought Barwis left of his own accord?

I'm far from the only person who has commented on Michigan's youth being their biggest issue on defense. I heard it for the entire bowl game for one(not that I'm basing my opinion on this). I certainly didn't decide their star rankigs either. I didn't make up not having Woolfolk all year or Floyd and Martin not being healthy for the Big10 schedule. It's not the best or deepest unit in the world, but the idea that there are only 3 talented players or that the cupboard is completely bare is nonsense. At worst we have a competent starter for all 11 spots.

From ann arbor news:

Brady Hoke will bring Al Borges - and his 23 years of experience as an offensive coordinator - with him to Michigan, according to the San Diego Times-Union.

The newspaper said San Diego State defensive coordinator Rocky Long will succeed Hoke as the head coach of the Aztecs. Borges, the offensive coordinator on Hoke's staff the past two seasons, is expected to head to Ann Arbor. That's the opinion of the agent that represents both coordinators.

Borges has also been an offensive coordinator and quarterback coach at Auburn (2004-07), Indiana (2002-03), California (2001), UCLA (1996-00), Oregon (1995), Boise State (1993-94) and Portland State (1986-92).

While at UCLA, he was twice a finalist for the Frank Boyles Assistant Coach of the Year award.

Last year's San Diego State team finished 16th in the nation in total yards (456.7) and 19th in scoring (35.0).

He .....never has shown an ability to maintain a winning program at his previous stops.

The odds of returning us to respectability are probably pretty good, but the odds of actually turning us into an elite program on a year-in-year out basis are probably pretty low. I desperately hope I'm wrong, but his track record is weak.

To be fair he hasn't stayed anywhere to maintain the winning so it may be a bit premature to assume that he wouldn't or couldn't have.

That was quite the national search. This could have been done after the OSU game when it was obvious RR was gone, and we might have been able to salvage our recruiting class.

Of all the recent successful coaches in CFB (Meyer, Carrol, Mack Brown, Kelly, Stoops, Tressel, Harbaugh, Miles, Chizik, etc.) he probably has the worst resume before accepting his top job. He was never a coordinator at the collegiate or pro level and never has shown an ability to maintain a winning program at his previous stops.

The odds of returning us to respectability are probably pretty good, but the odds of actually turning us into an elite program on a year-in-year out basis are probably pretty low. I desperately hope I'm wrong, but his track record is weak.

By putting Chizik on there you make that statement lol worthy. I don't know if I've seen a worse hire in terms of resume as a coach than him. But let's go through the paces with the names you've mentioned to see how Hoke stacks up.

Urban Meyer - Bounced around as positions coach before taking a job with Bowling Green. Instantly turns around the team and bolts for Utah and turns them into a powerhouse, before finally moving to Florida. Definitely had a better resume than Hoke. Interesting Note: He got a bit of good luck at Bowling Green and Utah in that he never had to recruit a quarterback, and had a huge advantage with Tebow since he was a legacy. This isn't a knock on him, but at the same time getting the right QB is huge for success at any level.

Pete Carroll - We all know his time in the NFL with the Jets and Patriots, which makes his resume kind of suspect. Hell, before USC his most memorable moment was most likely having Dan Marino make his Jet's team look like complete fools on the "clock play." I'd say that Hoke's resume is better than Carroll because of Hoke's experience with recruiting on the college level, something Pete hadn't done since the early 80s as a coordinator with NC State and mighty Pacific.

Mack Brown - Mack Brown's success at North Carolina definitely puts him over Hoke, but it took him two 1-10 seasons before starting to right the ship. He also really didn't do anything really special as a head coach before then. one 6-5 year at App St. and three years at Tulane were he built them up to a .500 record. Still his work at NC was much better than what Hoke did, moving on.

Chip Kelly - He's resume is as about as green as you can get for a BCS conference head coach. Zero years of experience as a head coach and only two years as the offensive coordinator of a FBS team. Don't get me wrong, the dude is an offensive genius, but as far as resumes go, running New Hampshire's offense for about seven seasons is not that much to go on.

Bob Stoops - He's the stereotypical up and coming coordinator, running Kansas State and Florida's defenses in the mid 90s before getting the Oklahoma gig. I'd say it's a push since Stoops had a name value that Hoke doesn't have, though Hoke has way more experience.

Jim Tressel - How greatly do you value coaching in 1-AA? Because if you do, he blows Hoke out of the water. If not then Hoke wins this one easily. I'd say Tressel has a slight edge because he built a winner for a long time, but I probably wouldn't argue if you said Hoke had the edge.

Jim Harbaugh - Before Stanford, Jim had name value and three years at San Diego. Granted two of those teams went 11-1, but they play in a conference that doesn't grant athletic scholarships. His resume pre-Stanford definitely was worse than Hoke's. Hell, you could even argue that Harbaugh's success has more to do with Andrew Luck being so damn good than Harbaugh being a good coach. It's a poor argument, but the fact remains he's only won with him while Hoke has won in two different 1-A schools and two different QBs. (Just so I don't look like a Hoke slappy, I would have easily taken Harbaugh any day over Brady Hoke right now).

Les Miles - Miles has a far better resume than Hoke when he got hired at LSU, turning around a OK State into a respectable program in a tough Big Twelve conference. My only problem with him is the fact he's runs a slightly dirty program and practices in oversigning.

Gene Chizik - So what is the resume of the coach of the current national champions? 5-19 in two years at Iowa State and was a positional coach before then. We have a winner for worst resume ever!

Gene Chizik - So what is the resume of the coach of the current national champions? 5-19 in two years at Iowa State and was a positional coach before then. We have a winner for worst resume ever!

Will UM allow Hoke to buy off the parents of players they want?

Not the most exciting or glamorous hire, but if he wins, that's all that is going to matter. I hope he does well at U-M. If not, I'll probably have to get used to people referring to him as "Brady Choke" or "Brady Joke".

I am at peace with this hire.

Don't like it, don't hate it, don't really know what to make of it.

Likes: He's a Michigan dude. He wants the job (which is apparently not a common trait). He does have some success. The rumors are that the players are happy about it (not sure how they know one way or the other about him, but it's better than them being up in arms).

Here's something: the same constituency that was all for hiring Rodriguez is now all against hiring Hoke (and I was all with them about Richrod). So it's a good possibility that they're wrong again.

Vive la Revolution. I, for one, welcome our new Hokeian leaders.

Hoke was unstoppable as Ball State coach much to my chagrin as a CMU fan. His team won every game in 2008 until the MAC championship game when they turned the ball over numerous times and got beat.

Hoke wasn't my 1st pick because I don't think he can recruit like the big name coaches can. But he is a young guy and could stay along time. He has no skeletons like Rich Rod and wanted to coach at Michigan all along.

I'm far from the only person who has commented on Michigan's youth being their biggest issue on defense. I heard it for the entire bowl game for one(not that I'm basing my opinion on this). I certainly didn't decide their star rankigs either. I didn't make up not having Woolfolk all year or Floyd and Martin not being healthy for the Big10 schedule. It's not the best or deepest unit in the world, but the idea that there are only 3 talented players or that the cupboard is completely bare is nonsense. At worst we have a competent starter for all 11 spots.

It seems it was more than youth during the Rodriguez years. I read this over at Scout:

In 2007, Michigan had the 23rd ranked defense giving up 20.3 points per game and 330 yards per game.

In 2008, Michigan returned 9 starters on defense. What happened to the 23rd ranked defense, returning all but two starters?

They dropped to 83rd and gave up 28.9 points points per game and 366 yards per game.

I have no idea what kind of talent Michigan has on defense. It seems they were so poorly coached and so low a priority to their head coach, that there is a lot of room for improvement though.

By putting Chizik on there you make that statement lol worthy. I don't know if I've seen a worse hire in terms of resume as a coach than him. But let's go through the paces with the names you've mentioned to see how Hoke stacks up.

Chizik was a successful DC at Auburn and Texas before going to Iowa State. As an assistant, his resume is far superior to Hoke's, who never was a DC at the collegiate level. His tenure at Iowa State wasn't good, but he at least had a background as a good DC.

Imagine how good UM would be in the MAC now! Just imagine a locker room full of 2* recruits who would be willing to run through a wall for Hoke, only they aren't quite athletic enough and just bounce off. Now that's loyalty.

We are ND

Imagine how good UM would be in the MAC now! Just imagine a locker room full of 2* recruits who would be willing to run through a wall for Hoke, only they aren't quite athletic enough and just bounce off. Now that's loyalty.

We are ND

San Diego State's players outweighs Michigan's by around a pound.

San Diego State's players outweighs Michigan's by around a pound.

It's a tough wall.

EDIT: Oh, and I outweigh Jahvid Best ...