Deleterious

Hoke Named Michigan Football Coach

I like the hiring. If nothing else Hoke will put the emphasis on defense. A shiny offense is fun to watch, but defense is what wins football games.

That was quite the national search. This could have been done after the OSU game when it was obvious RR was gone, and we might have been able to salvage our recruiting class.

Of all the recent successful coaches in CFB (Meyer, Carrol, Mack Brown, Kelly, Stoops, Tressel, Harbaugh, Miles, Chizik, etc.) he probably has the worst resume before accepting his top job. He was never a coordinator at the collegiate or pro level and never has shown an ability to maintain a winning program at his previous stops.

The odds of returning us to respectability are probably pretty good, but the odds of actually turning us into an elite program on a year-in-year out basis are probably pretty low. I desperately hope I'm wrong, but his track record is weak.

I agree with this.

I like that Hoke hasn't been a coordinator. Hopefully this means he will hire the best people for the job and let them do what they feel is best with the talent at hand, and Hoke will be a "great collaborator".

Looks like Denard has already requested a transfer...

A team spokesman said Denard Robinson, the Big Ten's 2010 Offensive Player of the Year, intends to transfer. Robinson asked for and was granted his release Tuesday, within hours of the University announcing the hiring of former assistant coach Brady Hoke.

Adam Rittenberg covers Big Ten football for ESPN.com. He can be reached at espnritt@gmail.com.

He may transfer, but this appears to not be legit at this time.

i hope, like Valenti(hate to quote him, lol) was saying, that since Hoke is cheap, he will have a big payroll for hiring assistants. I'd love to see Randy Shannon and a strong OC, maybe a Dan Hawkins or some other fired HC type. Someone who could help Hoke to use the talent on hand from RR's offense. Shoot, I'd even consider Magee as OC.

Nice link to the DC sports web page you numnut.

Yeah, looks like it's fake. Sorry 'bout that! : )

He may transfer, but this appears to not be legit at this time.

i hope, like Valenti(hate to quote him, lol) was saying, that since Hoke is cheap, he will have a big payroll for hiring assistants. I'd love to see Randy Shannon and a strong OC, maybe a Dan Hawkins or some other fired HC type. Someone who could help Hoke to use the talent on hand from RR's offense. Shoot, I'd even consider Magee as OC.

Didn't Randy Shannon already take another job? I'd LOVE for him to be Michigan's DC.

this is exactly what I was thinking of. During his recruitment, in the press reports at least, wasn't the story that Pryor wanted Tressel to commit to his pro development and not just run/option etc?

But Pryor had no competition at OSU. Robinson has two other guys that are the same class or younger and probably both better fits for a pro-style attack. Getting a coach to commit to pro development doesn't actually help much if you are sitting on the bench.

But Pryor had no competition at OSU. Robinson has two other guys that are the same class or younger and probably both better fits for a pro-style attack. Getting a coach to commit to pro development doesn't actually help much if you are sitting on the bench.

Pryor had competition, but he was clearly better than his competition. I think the same thing can be said of Denard. He is CLEARLY better than his competition at UM. That is why Hoke will most likely find a system that fits him nicely IMO.

I think players really respect Hoke. Plus Black is a DL, so Hoke is probably a plus. I think this guy is highly respected in football circles.

I think the players have no idea who Hoke is, outside what they have read over the last month as the search took place.

Any chance Hoke may bring back guys like Eric Campbell (WR coach now at Iowa) or Scot Loeffler (QB now at Florida)? Both were on the Michigan staff when Hoke was there.

If Denard wants to play QB in the NFL (let just assume that's true.....) why would he necessarily have an issue with a guy who wants to run a more pro style system?

With his size and throwing skills, he has about zero chance of playing QB in the NFL no matter what.

If he wants to play WR in the NFL, there is a chance given his speed.

Forcier is a better option at QB for Hoke's offense.

With his size and throwing skills, he has about zero chance of playing QB in the NFL no matter what.

I would say Gardner is the best option between all three. I really hope Denard stays though. Any coach in America could figure out some effective way to use him no matter what offense they run.

Tate failed out. He's not currently with the team.

completely disagree. There is plenty of talent that is now Sophomores and Juniors instead of Freshman and Sophomores. Bring in a decent class(already some solid defenders in the class) and you have a pretty nice talent base on defense. You have a vet defensive line that Hoke should be able to do good things with(DL coach at UM), the return of our 3 most veteran DBs from injury(Woolfolk,Floyd,M.Williams) and some emerging talents at S,CB and LB(Robinson,Furman,C.Johnson,C.Gordon,Jones,Demmens,Fitzgerald,Christian,Countess,Talbott,Crawford,Hollowell). An upgrade of defensive coaching and another year in the strengh program(whether Barwis or Hoke's guy) as well as the top Big 10 teams losing a lot of defensive talent should all help in making us a much better D, possibly top half of B10.

Barwis is employed by the university for all of the strength training programs. He'll be retained. The recruiting class will be terrible. That's a given. Just because their untalented guys are another year older doesn't mean theyll be any better. The scheme change wont hurt, neither will getting back Trey, but they will have to learn to tackle and use correct fundamentals in order to improve.

Didn't Hoke run the spread at SDSU?

It's been described as a pass option out of a pro-formation.

I think players really respect Hoke. Plus Black is a DL, so Hoke is probably a plus. I think this guy is highly respected in football circles

From what they say, his players will run through walls for him. And the one thing I consistently hear about him (and never heard about Harbaugh or Miles) is that he's a high character, straightforward guy.

Pryor had competition, but he was clearly better than his competition. I think the same thing can be said of Denard. He is CLEARLY better than his competition at UM. That is why Hoke will most likely find a system that fits him nicely IMO.

Take a look at OSU's QB depth chart when Pryor arrived. They had a senior and a walk-on and that was it. The next year they brought in one 3* QB late who was considered a project guaranteed to redshirt. He had virtually no competition and was basically handed the starting job his sophomore year.

Robinson is not a good QB at this point. He's a bad passer in a system that mitigates his passing problems by focusing on his running abilities. Hoke has never run a system comparable and has never shown any desire to either. Robinson might not transfer, but I have my doubts abut Robinson as a hesiman candidate in Hoke's offense.

If you don't like hoke you don't like ice cream.

I'm ready to walk through a revolving door for him without using my hands.

Yeah, he faces an uphill battle at his size, but what matters is not reality, but what he believes. And OTOH, if he is already realistic enough to see the handwriting on the wall, then what is the point of transferring? Just to be the next Andre Ware? :ponder:

I guess we probably have to expect some loses though, just seems to be the way of these things.

If you don't like hoke you don't like ice cream.

I'm ready to walk through a revolving door for him without using my hands.

I don't care for ice cream and I don't care for Hoke. But if he wins 10 games next year, I'll get on the bandwagon.