Deleterious

Hoke Named Michigan Football Coach

I too will be behind Hoke even though I am not happy with the hire. I think I'm even more upset with how they lowballed Miles. You are ****ing Michigan, pony up or join the ****ing MAC.

So, this announcement within hours of the info that Les Miles will not be leaving LSU - should we conclude that Miles was never really in the mix, and Hoke was the target all along?

Or that this was a snap judgment to save face on losing Miles (again)?

Just curious about the timing of everything that happened today.

I just don't understand how this was a national search. Did we even get into serious talks with someone not tagged as a Michigan man?

That was quite the national search. This could have been done after the OSU game when it was obvious RR was gone, and we might have been able to salvage our recruiting class.

Of all the recent successful coaches in CFB (Meyer, Carrol, Mack Brown, Kelly, Stoops, Tressel, Harbaugh, Miles, Chizik, etc.) he probably has the worst resume before accepting his top job. He was never a coordinator at the collegiate or pro level and never has shown an ability to maintain a winning program at his previous stops.

The odds of returning us to respectability are probably pretty good, but the odds of actually turning us into an elite program on a year-in-year out basis are probably pretty low. I desperately hope I'm wrong, but his track record is weak.

I think RR had a legit shot to save his job with a win at Miss St. It's tough to fire a guy with a winning, bowl eligible record who goes and wins that bowl against a tough SEC team, especially with a young roster(meaning most of it is coming back next year, so dumping their leader is dangerous). He instead got embarassed and made the decision easier. I can't see another reason for waiting.

Even though Hoke thinks anything that isn't smash mouth football is comparable to the plague and should be avoided? I doubt Hoke knows how to use Denard at all. I will wait and see what happens though. 9-10 wins is a long shot to me, I am back to where I was in 2008. Hoping for 6 wins but feeling like it is going to be 4.

Didn't Hoke run the spread at SDSU?

RR left the cupboard bare for Hoke...

That's not a valid excuse this time around, that's for sure. Curious to see how Hoke closes out recruiting though. I coudl see a guy like Zettel really wanting to play for him for one. Can he close out some of the guys who aren't signed yet as well? Lucien,Cooper, Bryant,Royster etc.

OK, I'm glad this is all over at least. I'm all in for Brady Hoke as of now, and I hope Michigan fans and players will at least give the man a chance.

Didn't Hoke run the spread at SDSU?

He - Well his OC - runs the Gulf Coast Offense. No, seriously.

Hokeward Bound: Michigan Fans Meet Your Next Head Coach Brady Hoke. | Bleacher Report

Importantly, Hoke is currently running the so-called “Gulf Coast Offense” developed and employed by SDSU Offensive Coordinator Al Borges. The most important aspect of this offense is that it is an adaptive style of offense. The key emphasis is not on establishing either the run or the pass, but instead figuring out what the opponent's weakness is and exploiting it.

I just don't understand how this was a national search. Did we even get into serious talks with someone not tagged as a Michigan man?

I don't think Brandon had the ability to hire a non Michigan type guy after the Rich Rod thing. I know some people want to blame Rich Rod and his 3-3-5 as the sole reason we lost, but results would have been no different with another spread style coach reaplcing Lloyd at the time that RR did. Hoke is a hire Brandon can defend if it fails, at least to the boosters if not the fans/media. With a spread guy like Patterson,Petersen,Mullen etc., another bad year or 2 would have left him with egg on his face.

Personally, I don't see another pro style coach out there(in the end, I see Hoke as pretty traditional,pro style despite running spread and 3-3-5 at times at SDSU) who was a better option than Hoke.

That's not a valid excuse this time around, that's for sure. Curious to see how Hoke closes out recruiting though. I coudl see a guy like Zettel really wanting to play for him for one. Can he close out some of the guys who aren't signed yet as well? Lucien,Cooper, Bryant,Royster etc.

I'll be upset if they cannot score points next year. The defense is still a disaster.

Good hire UM. We look foward to beating your *** on Saturdays come this fall.

Sincerely,

Coach D

Sweater vest

Joe Pa

Ferentz

Bo

Zook

Biels

Fitz

Lynch

D. Hope

Kevin Wilson

The key emphasis is not on establishing either the run or the pass, but instead figuring out what the opponent's weakness is and exploiting it.

Isn't that the goal of every offense?

Denard isn't going anywhere. I GUARANTEE that Hoke will make Denard and the system as good, if not better, than it was last year.

Next year will be a good year to be a Michigan fan IMO. 9-10 wins, and a good bowl game, with probably a top 5 Heisman candidate. If Denard finishes all 4 years at UM, Hoke will probably have a few VERY good recruiting classes the next few years to replace Denard and the others.

and hopefuly at worst, if Denard does leave, Hoke talks Tate into staying and fixing hsi grades up. Gardner and Forcier is plenty at QB to win with to be honest. Gardner isn'tquite as fast as DRob, but is a better passer.

There's also the chance that Denard becomes a RB,WR,KR/PR or some other type of utility player, his role in the NFL in the future.

I don't think Denard tranfers. RR doesn't have a job yet and he'll have to sit out a year. Michigan is a big time program who is always on national TV. i think he stays and makes the best of it, whether QB or other.

I'll be upset if they cannot score points next year. The defense is still a disaster.

completely disagree. There is plenty of talent that is now Sophomores and Juniors instead of Freshman and Sophomores. Bring in a decent class(already some solid defenders in the class) and you have a pretty nice talent base on defense. You have a vet defensive line that Hoke should be able to do good things with(DL coach at UM), the return of our 3 most veteran DBs from injury(Woolfolk,Floyd,M.Williams) and some emerging talents at S,CB and LB(Robinson,Furman,C.Johnson,C.Gordon,Jones,Demmens,Fitzgerald,Christian,Countess,Talbott,Crawford,Hollowell). An upgrade of defensive coaching and another year in the strengh program(whether Barwis or Hoke's guy) as well as the top Big 10 teams losing a lot of defensive talent should all help in making us a much better D, possibly top half of B10.

Well, Pryor went to OSU, when he was theoretically a better fit for RR's spread option system. So, we will see.

this is exactly what I was thinking of. During his recruitment, in the press reports at least, wasn't the story that Pryor wanted Tressel to commit to his pro development and not just run/option etc?

Were they clapping because it was a good hire, or were they clapping because the search is over.

I think players really respect Hoke. Plus Black is a DL, so Hoke is probably a plus. I think this guy is highly respected in football circles.

Were they clapping because it was a good hire, or were they clapping because the search is over.

Maybe it was a slow clap.

I think players really respect Hoke. Plus Black is a DL, so Hoke is probably a plus. I think this guy is highly respected in football circles

I'm not much a fan of the hiring but I will support Hoke. If he can get a couple of stud coordinators and excel in recruiting I will be more excited.