Deleterious

Hoke Named Michigan Football Coach

Hoke Named Michigan Football Coach - University of Michigan Official Athletic Site

Hoke Named Michigan Football Coach

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- University of Michigan athletic director Dave Brandon announced today (Tuesday, Jan. 11) the hiring of Brady Hoke as the 19th coach in the 131-year history of Michigan football. Hoke arrives in Ann Arbor after spending the past eight seasons as a head coach at Ball State (2003-08) and San Diego State (2009-10).

"We are pleased to announce the hiring of Brady," said Brandon. "He is a terrific coach and will be a great ambassador and leader for our football program. We look forward to having him build a championship program on the field and in the classroom."

Hoke spent eight seasons in Ann Arbor before embarking on his head coaching career. He mentored the Wolverines defensive line all eight seasons, a group that helped Michigan rank annually among the nation's best in rushing and total defense. Hoke coached three linemen to All-America honors during his tenure -- William Carr (1996), Glen Steele (1997) and Rob Renes (1999) -- and had five players earn first-team All-Big Ten accolades.

A member of Michigan's staff during its 1997 national championship season, Hoke helped the defense lead the nation in rushing defense at 89 yards per game and 2.7 yards per carry. Michigan's team posted 5-3 records against Michigan State, Ohio State and in bowl games during Hoke's tenure on the staff.

Hoke was named the 2010 Mountain West Conference Coach of the Year after guiding the Aztecs to a 9-4 overall record and 5-3 conference mark. He led SDSU to its first bowl game in 12 years, a 35-14 victory over Navy in the Poinsettia Bowl. Six of his players earned first-team All-MWC honors in 2010, including running back Ronnie Hamilton, the league's freshman of the year. In his first season at San Diego State, Hoke had five players named to All-MWC teams, while 11 players were MWC All-Academic selections.

Hoke took the leadership position at his alma mater, Ball State, in 2003 and built it into a championship program before departing after six seasons for the West Coast. He mentored players to 35 All-MAC selections in six years en route to a pair of bowl game appearances in 2007 and '08. The 2008 season marked the best season in program history, as the Cardinals tallied a school-record 12 wins and completed an undefeated Mid-American Conference regular season. His team won the West Division championship in 2008 and shared the division crown in 2007.

Hoke has 28 years of collegiate experience, with assistant coaching stints at Grand Valley State (1983), Western Michigan (1984-86), Toledo (1987-88), Oregon State (1989-94) and Michigan (1995-2002).

A 1982 graduate of Ball State University, Hoke earned four letters (1977-80) with the Cardinals. He was part of the only two teams in school history to post undefeated conference seasons: as a player in 1978 and as head coach in 2008. Hoke led BSU to the 1978 MAC championship, and as a team captain in 1980 earned All-MAC second team honors.

A native of Dayton, Ohio, Hoke graduated from Fairmont East High School in 1977. Hoke and his wife, the former Laura Homberger, have one daughter, Kelly.

Brandon will formally introduce Hoke at a press conference Wednesday (Jan. 12) at 1 p.m. EST. The media opportunity will be held at the Junge Family Champions Center located between the Michigan Stadium and Crisler Arena tunnels. The press conference is not open to the public. Both Brandon and Hoke will be unavailable for media interviews until tomorrow's press conference.

Media Contact: David Ablauf (734) 763-4423

Im ok with the hire, I like him better than Rich Rod. Still not happy with the time line of Brandon.

As much as I hate this hire, I will support the guy 100%. I hope I am wrong about this. I won't expect a bowl next year, I won't expect Denard to stick around. This is going to be a very rough transition. I am behind Coach Hoke. Prove me wrong please.

That was quite the national search. This could have been done after the OSU game when it was obvious RR was gone, and we might have been able to salvage our recruiting class.

Of all the recent successful coaches in CFB (Meyer, Carrol, Mack Brown, Kelly, Stoops, Tressel, Harbaugh, Miles, Chizik, etc.) he probably has the worst resume before accepting his top job. He was never a coordinator at the collegiate or pro level and never has shown an ability to maintain a winning program at his previous stops.

The odds of returning us to respectability are probably pretty good, but the odds of actually turning us into an elite program on a year-in-year out basis are probably pretty low. I desperately hope I'm wrong, but his track record is weak.

hahahahahahahahhahahahahah

i guess nobody wanted the job.

on a serious note, it is better they hire him now after seriously and publicly striking out with miles and harbaugh, as nobody can ***** that the AD didn't try to hire the guy they wanted.

Good track record. Enthusiastic for Michigan football. Good hire.

And I don't give a **** about placating the *******s who trashed Rodriguez on a daily basis for not being a "Michigan Man". If Hoke was not the best coach available, he was close to it.

I dont think Denard will transer, do you guys?

Hoke isn't too fond of the spread, so I think there is a good chance that Denard bolts. Hopefully not.

When asked recently about the influence of Oregon’s offense, Hoke subtly revealed his disdain for the tactical shift Michigan experienced under Rodriguez. He is convinced that modern spread option offenses can be counterproductive to the core values of smashmouth football and are, therefore, to be avoided.

“Right, wrong or indifferent, when you’re zone blocking all the time -- when you’re playing basketball on grass -- you practice against that all spring, you practice against it all fall and then you’re going to play a two-back team that wants to knock you off the football,” Hoke said. “I don’t think you’re prepared.

“I think there’s a toughness level (required in college football). I still believe you win with defense. That’s been beaten into my head a long time, but I really believe that. The toughness of your team has to be the offensive front and your defensive front.”

Denard isn't going anywhere. I GUARANTEE that Hoke will make Denard and the system as good, if not better, than it was last year.

Next year will be a good year to be a Michigan fan IMO. 9-10 wins, and a good bowl game, with probably a top 5 Heisman candidate. If Denard finishes all 4 years at UM, Hoke will probably have a few VERY good recruiting classes the next few years to replace Denard and the others.

I think Denard leaves. He committed to play for RichRod, not Michigan. No other coach in the country gave him a chance to play QB. He is a spread QB and with Hokes documented hate of the spread I can't see Denard sticking around.

I love mgoblog.

On this being a national search:

This "national" search is national in the sense that people who played or coached at Michigan comprise a nation, which they do not.

On the Brady Hoke hire:

P6mE9Au3CwM

For those that can't watch the video, it's a music video for a song called "We Are Notre Dame" That's awesome.

Denard isn't going anywhere. I GUARANTEE that Hoke will make Denard and the system as good, if not better, than it was last year.

Next year will be a good year to be a Michigan fan IMO. 9-10 wins, and a good bowl game, with probably a top 5 Heisman candidate. If Denard finishes all 4 years at UM, Hoke will probably have a few VERY good recruiting classes the next few years to replace Denard and the others.

Even though Hoke thinks anything that isn't smash mouth football is comparable to the plague and should be avoided? I doubt Hoke knows how to use Denard at all. I will wait and see what happens though. 9-10 wins is a long shot to me, I am back to where I was in 2008. Hoping for 6 wins but feeling like it is going to be 4.

If Denard wants to play QB in the NFL (let just assume that's true.....) why would he necessarily have an issue with a guy who wants to run a more pro style system?

I don't know, but I think it could depend upon if he sees a spread option-type offense out that that needs a QB. It could also depend upon whether RR finds a quick landing spot, as if he does, he could follow RR.

But there's a chance he could stick it out at UM as well.

If Denard wants to play QB in the NFL (let just assume that's true.....) why would he necessarily have an issue with a guy who wants to run a more pro style system?

Well, Pryor went to OSU, when he was theoretically a better fit for RR's spread option system. So, we will see.