nd1377

2011 Detroit Lions Offseason

In addition, Mayhew kept Durant away from Chicago. On a short term contract, to boot. Which perfectly fits his durability concerns.

I mean..it's possible they could land Joseph as well. But they will have to pony up...big time(and, you can argue he has the same durability concerns as Durant does)

But seeing as Houston is one of the top corners available and Detroit likes him a lot, it makes sense to bring him back. Especially if they add another LB with Durant.

Durant is the kind of guy I was hoping for: young, talented, and possibly undervalued with the injuries. And most importantly it's a guy they wanted, as this group gets it right more than others.

And likely impossible to happen

I'm hearing conflicting reports on if they have the cap room. If it comes down to Tulloch or Joseph, I'd prefer Tulloch.

I just don't see Joseph coming to Detroit. Too many teams interested, one will lose their mind and way overpay.

I think they could get both Tulloch and Joseph if they trade/cut/restructure Corey Williams.

I'm hearing conflicting reports on if they have the cap room. If it comes down to Tulloch or Joseph, I'd prefer Tulloch.

Landing both would put us in salary cap hell. If not now, then in the future.

If Tulloch does indeed stay in Tennessee, keep an eye on Nick Barnett. Green Bay will likely try to trade him but I doubt they will be able to.

Thus, he will be cut very shortly.

Nick Barnett has already been cut.

No one can be cut until 4 p.m. Thursday. He has been informed he will be cut. However, he hasn't been officially, therefore no teams can contact him.

Don't underestimate the cap savvy of Tom Lewand. He can find a way to get things done when we're all looking at it and deeming it impossible.

ESPN Insider on Durant. Not sure when it was last updated:

Justin Durant Scouting Report - Scouts, Inc.

Comment: Durant started 13 games in 2009 while missing three with minor injuries. He has adequate size for the position along with excellent speed, athleticism and quickness. He is a quick-twitch athlete who shows very good instincts for the position. Durant is quick to locate the level of the ball and has the athleticism to react and adjust to the play. He gets good depth in his pass drops and can transition to drive on the ball, but needs more work on his route recognition as well as his ability to read the quarterback to get a jump on the ball. He is more effective playing the edges rather than taking on and shedding blockers.

Pro Football Focus:

7. Justin Durant, Jacksonville Jaguars, 4-3 OLB

Age as of September 1st 2011: 26

2010 Grade: +3.0

Key Stat: Finished with a +15.5 grade in run defense, top 10 among all LB’s.

Behind The Numbers: Bumped to the weakside when Kirk Morrison arrived in Jacksonville, Durant responded by posting a superb run-stopping campaign. Unfortunately, the move also exposed his weakness as a cover man. Injuries ate into his season once again, but being young, smart, and versatile, Durant will find a new home and, if used properly could flourish with a fresh start.

If we can also add Tulloch, our defense would be incredibly stout against the run.

Pro Football Focus:

02:02 SIGNING! This one makes a lot of sense. The Lions need linebackers who can shed blocks (with their defensive lines ability to at times sell out pass rushing). They’ve been working hard, apparently, on a deal for Stephen Tulloch, but sneaked in a two year deal for Justin Durant. If they get the former Jaguar on the field for two downs he’s superb. If they get him backpeddling and moving around in coverage … not so much. In terms of 4-3 outside linebackers the new Lion ranked fourth from bottom in our coverage rankings. The good news though is they he ranked second, behind Jarret Johnson, in run defense. Great move by the Lions.

Pro Football Focus Premium:

edit: Froggy, I think this is premium, ie, "pay for" content, and therefore should not be posted. If I'm wrong, please PM me and I'll put it back in place. - RedRamage

I would assume Tulloch and Joesph and most FA will make a decision within the next 24-48 hours. So we shouldn't have to wait too long.

I think there is a good chance we get Tulloch, still waiting to see what happens at the CB position though. If Mayhew and Lewand can find a way to land Tulloch and Joesph, then watch out league.

I like the Durant signing if he stays healthy. Add Tulloch and all of a sudden the LBs are looking pretty nice along with the line. Would definitely help the CB out.

Happy with Durant, but I want more This is just a start (I hope). We need to add Tulloch or Joseph. I think I'd prefer Tulloch, but I'd be content with Joseph if we couldn't land Tulloch.

Bad: Only picking up Durant and not other big names.

Okay: Durant and Jospeh

Good: Durant and Tulloch

Really exciting: Durant, Tulloch, and Joseph

Tulloch isn't worth 6 mil a year. I like Palmer-Levy-Durrant. I would still like to see us pick up Joseph. I would also rather look at a cheaper LB option like Thomas Howard.

Seemed like the Lions were high on Carpenter. Think they would any interest in Barnett? I don't think Carpenter looked awful last year, he finally got to play in a 4-3 defense, Dallas had been 3-4, so was Miami for the brief time he was there. I think he could turn out to be a decent LB.

I'm still seeing reports the Lions are still in on Tulloch. The Lions are offering good money and are probably the best fit outside of Tennessee. I could live with a Barnett/Joseph signing. I really hope the Lions pick up a MLB.

I'm still seeing reports the Lions are still in on Tulloch. The Lions are offering good money and are probably the best fit outside of Tennessee. I could live with a Barnett/Joseph signing. I really hope the Lions pick up a MLB.

Where do you go for good NFL rumors? ESPN seems to only cover a handful of teams.

Ya saw this too:

lionsreport roarreport.com

by lionsinwinter

From The Den: According to Mortensen via radio, "Jon Joseph will pick between the Bengals, Texans and Lions.Maybe today"

As far as rumors go I'm just going to Twitter. Listening to sports radio too but it is mostly just Eagles crap around here.

Where do you go for good NFL rumors? ESPN seems to only cover a handful of teams.

Just reading twitter. Have to find the reliable sources. In other news, Justin Durant is campaigning for Tulloch.

Just reading twitter. Have to find the reliable sources. In other news, Justin Durant is campaigning for Tulloch.

Ahh, that makes sense. They have twitter blocked at work here. Google used to have the realtime function where it would update all the twitter feeds based on the search logic, but the contract ran out and they didn't renew. I was disappointed.

Along with VB and Delmas.

I'm kind of bummed he hasn't signed yet. Lions obviously want him, front office, coaches, and players. The reported offer seems pretty fair.