nd1377

2011 Detroit Lions Offseason

I am far more concerned with us shoring up at LB than CB. Between Delmas, Coleman and Spievey, we have some help for the CBs we have, and it seems like we have several young guys at CB that we believe have the talent to play well. Can't really say the same at LB -- we're paper thin there, at best, and I really don't want to see more of Follett as a starter -- he looked confused and physically slow last year before he got hurt. I like Levy in the middle, but am glad that he has the flexibility to move outside if we get a superior MLB. I don't want to see any of our d-lineman leave, but it really does seem like we have an embarrassment of riches up and down the line, and I guess I'd be okay seeing Williams leave if it led to us getting some help for the LBs. But if Williams could cut down on the penalties, I'd much rather see him playing for us than against us.

I also liked re-signing Stanton, btw. Thought he showed something last year, might be able to become a decent 2nd stringer for us when Hill moves on.

Sounds like the Lions are close to signing Justin Durant as well. Don't know much about him but doesn't seem like the Lions will land a good DB with the signings of these 2 LB's

Sounds like the Lions are close to signing Justin Durant as well. Don't know much about him but doesn't seem like the Lions will land a good DB with the signings of these 2 LB's

What 2 LBs?

EDIT: Mike O'Hara was on this 2 weeks ago. Said the Lions actually liked Durant more than Tulloch. :shocked:

Lions high on Justin Durant

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 14, 2011, 6:08 PM EDT

Despite a great-looking defensive line, the Lions defense has a lot of question marks. Their linebacker situation looks nearly as dire as their secondary, with both areas needing to be addressed in free agency.

Longtime Lions writer Mike O’Hara, now working for FoxSportsDetroit.com, writes the team has a very specific wish list at linebacker. They like both Jaguars linebacker Justin Durant and Titans linebacker Stephen Tulloch, but Durant apparently has the edge in Detroit’s view.

Durant would play on the outside, which would likely keep DeAndre Levy at middle linebacker. We’re not sure there will be a huge market for the oft-injured Jaguar, so the Lions should be able to get their man.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/14/lions-high-on-justin-durant/

Edited by sagnam

Good move to get Durant. When healthy, he is a beast.

And Gil Brandt is saying Tulloch to the Lions is a 'done deal'. If so, Martin Mayhew for GM of the Year. Our LBs instantly go from a weakness to a strength in seconds.

@JDurant56 Justin Durant

"Now everybody from the 313, put ya muthaf*ckin hands up and follow me!!!"

What about the 248? :confused:

Anybody want to give me a quick overview of what Durant brings/is expected to do?

Judging by his twitter account he doesn't bring much intellect.

Anybody want to give me a quick overview of what Durant brings/is expected to do?
Durant has missed 14 games in his four years ... never played more than 14 in a season and only played 10 last sesaon ...

http://twitter.com/#!/TomKowalski36/status/96413492369833984

EDIT: More

If Lions get Tulloch, Durant makes a lot of sense ... if they don't get Tulloch, they should've shot for a more dynamic OLB ...

http://twitter.com/#!/TomKowalski36/status/96429186008354817

Edited by sagnam

Good outside lineback, has had injury problems in the past, a beast against the run game when he is healthy though. He may get some rest when the lions are in the nickel package.

Good signing. If we could still get Tulloch that would make for a pretty good LB core. Nick Barnett was also tweeting to nasty nate about mayhews phone number, something like that. Lions are popular right now.

A thumper, loads of talent at 6-1 240, struggles against the pass, not a top notch tackler. Instant upgrade over Bobby Carpenter, easily IMO.

I like the signing if Tulloch is in the fold. Not sure if I like Levy and Durant, but Tulloch, Levy, and Durant would be nice.

I like the signing if Tulloch is in the fold. Not sure if I like Levy and Durant, but Tulloch, Levy, and Durant would be nice.

Get tulloch, resign Houston, and I dont think we need to do much more.

Nick Barnett was also tweeting to nasty nate about mayhews phone number, something like that. Lions are popular right now.

He was tweeting Vilma to. Guy's looking for a job and I don't blame him. That being said, I like that he could be an option if Tulloch signs elsewhere.

With this front seven you can mask an inferior secondary. The Lions run defense was worse than the pass defense. The Lions pass defense wasn't that bad. They pretty much ranked middle of the pack.

With this front seven you can mask an inferior secondary. The Lions run defense was worse than the pass defense. The Lions pass defense wasn't that bad. They pretty much ranked middle of the pack.

Bingo. Plus with our pass rush, teams will start doing more dump offs and quick reads. (which is why they are addressing line backer) If everything goes as planned, teams won't have enough time to look down the field.

chris houston is not enough.

Well, with resigning other guys plus adding Tulloch and Durant there just isn't enough money.

If they get Tulloch, they can still land second tier CB (forget Joseph) ... If they do that, I think it's a huge FA grab considering the cap

He later clarifies that Houston is in that 2nd tier group.

You can't solve all your problems in one year.

Durant, Tulloch and Houston would be a fine haul

Especially when there is a salary cap. I'm glad Mayhew is building the defense from the front back. A good pass defense starts with a good pass rush.

John Clayton

@ClaytonESPN John Clayton

ready to wrap up the first day of tweeting. I think the Lions do have a great chance at getting J. Joseph, but the Bengals are still in hunt

Durant, Tulloch and Joseph would be a great haul.