nd1377

2011 Detroit Lions Offseason

Kelly Stuffer or Dan McGwire didn't have the career stafford had in 2.5 games.

Tater it's obvious you hate Stafford but saying he didn't look Solid this year in the games he's played is insane and makes you look foolish.

6 TD, 1 pick, was leading all three games he played in. Looks solid to me.

Stafford's in better shape right now than most of us will ever be during our lives. His problem is somewhat freak injuries to his shoulders, and I'm not sure if there's anything you can do to prevent them beyond normal strength training.

Our OL isn't a weakness, it's not necessarily a strength, but our LB and secondary are more of a concern. Backus is average, Sims is good to great, Raiola is mediocre, Peterman has been hurt but has been average when he was healthy, and Goz made some strides this year. I really liked what I saw from Hilliard when he started for Goz, I hope he can play LT, Backus is going on his last year, I believe, and his replacement could be Hilliard. Fox didn't impress me when he was playing, very weak, doesn't play with good leverage, he's a couple years away yet IMO.

As far as the Stafford isn't solid hogwash, he's excellent when healthy...he does need to stay healthy though. I don't really have any suggestions on how to make that happen...his injury wasn't because of conditioning though.

As far as the Stafford isn't solid hogwash, he's excellent when healthy...he does need to stay healthy though. I don't really have any suggestions on how to make that happen...his injury wasn't because of conditioning though.

Health is why one can argue he isn't solid. It's also a better situation to be in than healthy and bad.

You also have to admit he's a bit pudgy. That doesn't mean that's why he got hurt. Delmas calls hit "Fat Boy"

Lions Q&A: Safety Louis Delmas loves Popeye's chicken, watching 'Tom and Jerry' | MLive.com

Edited by sagnam

Stafford injuries were fluke things that happened just because he fell a certain way. Not his fault whatsoever on those. He was leading in every game he played in and had only one INT with 6 TD's. I think that is solid enough for me.

Really want the Lions to throw money at Asomuogh because he is a stud but that may be asking too much. Really need to continue to build depth, especially at LB and DB. One shut down corner would drive the defense from pretty decent to really good in my opinion.

As for FA's:

I wanna go "Asomuogh or BUST"!!!

I don't mind picking up an OLB or two, depth or Greenway... But to me, the focus should be on the shutdown CB that's available. I think Mayhew should go all out for his services. Well... not too far out (don't wanna financially hamstring the Org, so there has to be a financial barrier wall somewhere that we can't go past...)! But... I would be very willing to go pretty high in the bidding to get Nnamdi. (Yeah.. like it's MY wallet!!! :wink:)

I think we can find a couple of OLB's in the draft this year... and either go with the veteran experience we already have on the team, or the 1 or 2 FA's that can be signed...

I'm also on board with middle O-Line depth in the draft. Either Pouncey or a 3rd/ 4th rounder to develop. I don't mind the Pouncey idea because I would love to have him on the team. For starters as OG depth... and then eventually, whatever he turns into: be it a starter at Guard, or if he gets better at the Center position (he'd have a pretty good "technical" teacher in Raiola), maybe he could start there in a couple of years. I think he'd be an excellent pick if we have a trade-down to the early 20's opportunity.

And I'm on board with Cruzer that a good WR is just as good a pick as any other position. As long as we're going BPA, if taht person at #13 is a potentially great receiver, I wouldn't be upset with that pick. I'm certain Mayhew could still get a couple of good OLB prospects in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. IE: 1st - WR, 2nd - OLB, 3rd - OLB, 4th -G/C.

Depends on what FA's we sign to fill the CB and OLB positions. And really, we only need one game-changing CB to set the secondary up as being a really good unit. Well... maybe another developmental Safety for talent & depth also... But that's not as critical as having that 1 shutdown CB.

Just my 2 cents.

Stafford injuries were fluke things that happened just because he fell a certain way. Not his fault whatsoever on those. He was leading in every game he played in and had only one INT with 6 TD's. I think that is solid enough for me.

Really want the Lions to throw money at Asomuogh because he is a stud but that may be asking too much. Really need to continue to build depth, especially at LB and DB. One shut down corner would drive the defense from pretty decent to really good in my opinion.

Agree with everthing in this post 100%

I agree all the way that the Lions need to do whatever it takes to get Nnamdi Asomugha. They need to send Suh to talk to him. He would make the Lions defense above average and if the Lions have no major injuries next season, Detroit will make the playoffs.

Asomugha was on ESPN First and Ten on Friday and he is very well spoken and intelligent. He does a lot of philanthropy work too.

If someone is in better shape, is there a smaller chance of injury?

Not if they get hit as hard as Stafford got hit in that Chicago game.

Not if they get hit as hard as Stafford got hit in that Chicago game.

If you're talking about the actual play Stafford got injured, he didn't get hit hard at all. I have seen harder hits in about every other NFL game each week.

Stafford Injury against Chicago

Stafford hit the ground hard and awkwardly. That was a big hit.

Corner, Lbs, developmental and/or depth on OL. Third WR doesnt hurt. GBs game showed the value of a solid 3rd and 4th WR. OL/DL should be looked at every offseason.

I dont care how they do it, FA or draft, but these are the areas Im particularly concerned about.

Stafford hit the ground hard and awkwardly. That was a big hit.

Corner, Lbs, developmental and/or depth on OL. Third WR doesnt hurt. GBs game showed the value of a solid 3rd and 4th WR. OL/DL should be looked at every offseason.

I dont care how they do it, FA or draft, but these are the areas Im particularly concerned about.

This pretty much sums it up for me as well. Corner would be my number 1 priority. Does anyone think Carpenter has a shot at grabbing a OLB spot next year?

This pretty much sums it up for me as well. Corner would be my number 1 priority. Does anyone think Carpenter has a shot at grabbing a OLB spot next year?

He will have a full offseason with the Lions. If the Lions don't upgrade at OLB, he has a great shot. He made some plays when he was thrown into action.

Health is why one can argue he isn't solid. It's also a better situation to be in than healthy and bad.

You also have to admit he's a bit pudgy. That doesn't mean that's why he got hurt. Delmas calls hit "Fat Boy"

I wouldn't call him pudgy, he has a round face...there's no way to lean out those cheeks. A QB doesn't need to be in amazing condition, in fact, few are. Look at big Ben, Peyton, Cutler, Rivers...none of them are fat, but they aren't ripped either. I'd rather have a QB with a little meat than a pretty boy like Sanchez who shows off his Cali abs...

On another note, all these FA are going to be sitting around for a long time and the potential lockout is really going to effect the draft. Teams will be drafting more on need in this draft than usual IMO. Teams can't sign FA until the new CBA is in place and will have many more holes going into the draft.

Edited by GuitarGod19

Lions Q&A: Safety Louis Delmas loves Popeye's chicken, watching 'Tom and Jerry' | MLive.com

The comment was regarding his performance. Everyone knows he missed most of the season.

The Lions have the best OL in the division right now.

I'd highly doubt that.

Our OL isn't a weakness, it's not necessarily a strength, but our LB and secondary are more of a concern.

The OL isn't all that great, but I agree, LB and our secondary are what we need to upgrade first.

Edited by JonBenke

Saying the Lions have the best OL in the division, while at the same time two division teams are playing in the conference finals, is just silly to me.

The Lions OL was better this year, still bottom 16.

Saying the Lions have the best OL in the division, while at the same time two division teams are playing in the conference finals, is just silly to me.

I think it has a lot to do with the parity of the NFC. The Lions are not that far away from being as good or better than Green Bay and Chicago. In the games against Green Bay and Chicago this season, the Lions hung with them and if the ball bounced their way in those games, they probably could have won the other three games they lost against them.

The guy could be the next Kelly Stouffer or Dan McGwire, we just can't tell yet.

Sort of reminds me more of Charles Rogers right now than anyone else. Huge upside, shows flashes, gets hurt. Shows flashes again, gets hurt again with similar injury.

(And before The Staffordites go ballistic with neurotic retaliation, for the record I'm not comparing off-the-field CRog to Stafford, okaay? No need for hysterics - take a deep breath, just relax. Ahh. There, see? much better)

it's obviously the only factor in winning after all.

Sort of reminds me more of Charles Rogers right now than anyone else. Huge upside, shows flashes, gets hurt. Shows flashes again, gets hurt again with similar injury.

(And before The Staffordites go ballistic with neurotic retaliation, for the record I'm not comparing off-the-field CRog to Stafford, okaay? No need for hysterics - take a deep breath, just relax. Ahh. There, see? much better)

I don't remember too many flashes from Charles Rogers. To me, he came off as a lazy and spoiled athlete who thought everything should be handed to him because of his athletic abilities.

The Lions have the best OL in the division right now.

That's the tallest midget award. The Lions o-line was about the same as the Pack and the Bears, which is to say average at best.

Neither the Pack or the Bears win because of their OLine. They win despite it.

The Bears win because they've been the luckiest team in pro football.

The Packers win because they have a great defense and a great quarterback, which makes up for their terrible coach and pedestrian running game.

That's the tallest midget award. The Lions o-line was about the same as the Pack and the Bears, which is to say average at best.

Which means it's good enough to win an NFC Championship.