nd1377

2011 Detroit Lions Offseason

Well the tweet said we'd keep 4 TEs and no FB and that's why, with Heller as the blocking FB here and there. I would think Harrison,Mo,Brown and Best would be the 4 RBs. Taylor is basically a Mo Morris replica so no thanks for me. He looked bad last year and if the Bears cut him to keep Marion Barber that's not a good sign for what he can offer.

Agreed. I think Felton was cut to make room for Aaron Brown.

I love the idea of Felton, I love a McClain-like FB/RB hybrid player, but he never really materialized.

I don't think too much of Chester Taylor. He's on the wrong side of 30 and they already have that guy in Morris. I'm not really sure how this would be an upgrade.

So it looks like Gunther has found his secondary then, based on his recent comments and today.

CB: Houston

CB: Wright

FS: Delmas

SS: Spievey

Nickel: McDonald

Plus we have Coleman, Vasher, Berry and Smith. Prince too.

So it looks like I was wrong. They have moved Wright to the Nickleback (he will still start) and Berry to the CB position when they go to their nickle package. McDonald doesn't appear happy, I think the story was in the Free Press?

So it looks like I was wrong. They have moved Wright to the Nickleback (he will still start) and Berry to the CB position when they go to their nickle package. McDonald doesn't appear happy, I think the story was in the Free Press?

That's unfortunate because Berry looked terrible to me.

That's unfortunate because Berry looked terrible to me.

Agreed. McDonald looked pretty good in the nickle this preseason, I don't understand the move.

Brandon McDonald says he's lost job as Lions' nickel back | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Brandon McDonald said Thursday he has temporarily lost his job as the Lions' nickel cornerback.

"As of today, I am not (in that role)," McDonald said. "But like I say, whatever role I'm given, whether it's nickel, whether it's corner, whether it's special teams or whether it's cheering my teammates on, that'll be the role that I play."

Coach Jim Schwartz wouldn't address depth-chart questions after practice, saying, "You guys know better than to ask questions like that."

If McDonald doesn't play in nickel packages Sunday against Tampa Bay, starter Eric Wright is the obvious candidate to play in the slot. Wright played nickel cornerback in Cleveland and worked some at the position in the preseason.

One of the other cornerbacks, Aaron Berry or Alphonso Smith, would then play outside on passing downs.

"It's different when you're playing (nickel cornerback) and you're strictly a nickel back, coming from the sideline and running in on third down," Wright said. "It's different from when you're playing first and second down outside and then all of a sudden you have to slide inside and play because you get a number of different route combinations, you get different types of receivers.

"I think that's the main challenge -- turn your corner brain off and immediately turn on the nickel brain."

McDonald, who played a part-time role with the Lions last year, said he wasn't given an explanation for why he lost his job.

"I'm not really sure what my role is, to be honest," he said.

And how does that sit with him?

"Not well, but it's part of the business," McDonald said. "I can't control anything. All I can do is go out and try to help this team win some games and get better at my techniques."

Maybe they felt Berry was kind of finding his ground after missing last year and is read to perform now. THey seem to have a lot of confidence in him. That said, Mcdonald did look pretty good. Funny to think Smith is arguably our 5th CB. I like that! I feel like we can match up with GB ok. A dominant DL and DB depth is key against them.

I think the Lions do have much better depth at CB than everybody on the planet gives them credit for. They have some good ballhawks, some good wheels, and good toughness back there.

I still think Fairley is going to be a bigger story throughout the year than people are leading on. A foot fracture is not going to heal during the season. At all. I wouldn't be surprised if he never plays more than one, maybe two, downs in a row, if he plays at all. I honestly think it's going to be a lost cause for the season and we're better off just sitting him down until next year and hoping his foot doesn't act back up next season. Probably the most nagging and toughest-to-get-over injury you can get.

I still think Fairley is going to be a bigger story throughout the year than people are leading on. A foot fracture is not going to heal during the season. At all. I wouldn't be surprised if he never plays more than one, maybe two, downs in a row, if he plays at all. I honestly think it's going to be a lost cause for the season and we're better off just sitting him down until next year and hoping his foot doesn't act back up next season. Probably the most nagging and toughest-to-get-over injury you can get.

First of all, I don't think it is the most nagging and toughest to get over injury you can get, but that is why he is sitting now and they will wait until he is completely healed before bringing him back. They have the luxury of not needing him so it doesn't matter if he sits another 4-8 weeks if needed (he has already been off 5). I think they will get 1/2 year of him being in the rotation which IMO will be much more valuable as he can get acclimated with the speed of the NFL and be much more of a force next year than he would be if he sat all season.

I agree 100%. It really sucks that all 3 of our top picks are or have struggled with injuries thus far. LeShoure was a huge loss, I don't think Fairley will be able to show much this year due to his foot and I think Titus Young will be behind the curve for much of the season because of the time he missed. Hopefully Stovall can solidify that 3rd WR spot so we don't miss Titus all that much.

Maybe they felt Berry was kind of finding his ground after missing last year and is read to perform now. THey seem to have a lot of confidence in him. That said, Mcdonald did look pretty good. Funny to think Smith is arguably our 5th CB. I like that! I feel like we can match up with GB ok. A dominant DL and DB depth is key against them.

It could just be perception but Berry did not seem as good as hyped during the preseason. I'm hoping he takes big strides towards starting this year but I'm not as confident as when training camp started.

First of all, I don't think it is the most nagging and toughest to get over injury you can get, but that is why he is sitting now and they will wait until he is completely healed before bringing him back. They have the luxury of not needing him so it doesn't matter if he sits another 4-8 weeks if needed (he has already been off 5). I think they will get 1/2 year of him being in the rotation which IMO will be much more valuable as he can get acclimated with the speed of the NFL and be much more of a force next year than he would be if he sat all season.

I tend to agree with that decision, but only if it was a lesser injury. I just feel like no matter when you bring him back this season, it's going to continue to be a nagging injury and I would be worried that it would then leak over into next season.

It could just be perception but Berry did not seem as good as hyped during the preseason. I'm hoping he takes big strides towards starting this year but I'm not as confident as when training camp started.

From what I've read, what the coaches like best about Berry is his physicality, and his bump and run technique. He has gotten a few flags for it this preseason, so maybe if he can back it down a notch, he'll be okay. It may be that we expect to put big pressure (blitz?) a lot while in nickel, in which case a corner who's comfortable playing tight might be more desirable. Or I could be totally off-base.

He did get hosed by Brady's play action, that's for sure. Hopefully we don't see that again. Personally, I'm waiting for Smith to work his way back up the depth chart and onto the field. I love his play.

I tend to agree with that decision, but only if it was a lesser injury. I just feel like no matter when you bring him back this season, it's going to continue to be a nagging injury and I would be worried that it would then leak over into next season.

If it was a lisfranc injury Id agree with you, those are soft tissue injuries that tend to linger. A fracture is easier to overcome. He should be full strength after 8 weeks.

Haloti Ngata, often refered to as the best DT in the NFL, signed a 5 year deal for $61 million...$40 million over the first two years. That's $7 million less than the contract Suh has, and his includes $40 million guaranteed. I thought this to be very interesting. If that's the case, we shouldn't be looking at too much of an increase in Suh's salary when we have to resign him in a few years. It also reinforces how ridiculous they Haynesworth deal was...I think we'll be looking at something like 5 years/$75 million to resign #90. CJ will probably get something like that this offseason...scary.

Haynesworth contract was arguably less than Ngata's actually. 40 million over the first 3 years instead of 2. Al's had a lot of phony money. Not to mention that the open market is always different than a re-sign. Not sure Suh's contract details. Also Suh has a good 1-3 years after this one is over before he is re-signed, so who knows what salaries will be like. Just a few thoughts

A healthy Peterman is without a doubt an above average starer at RG.

I would like to come back to the Peterman debate. Its a apparent that the Lions feel Peterman is the worst of the 5 OL, his run blocking has gotten worse and he isn't getting any push on the line.

I would like to come back to the Peterman debate. Its a apparent that the Lions feel Peterman is the worst of the 5 OL, his run blocking has gotten worse and he isn't getting any push on the line.

How many times has he been benched this year? Goz has clearly been on the ***** list, and rightfully so. There's been a problem with each and every one of our lineman at least once this year.