nd1377

2011 Detroit Lions Offseason

With Philadelphia now having Namdi and Rodgers-Cromartie is Assante Samuel available?

No, thanks.

I'm pretty excited for Wright. i think he and Houston, if signed, could be a very good combo. Wright has shown a lot of ability prior to last year and he's in a great defense and situation now

I like Houston just for the lack of learning curve in the defense. Houston, Wright, and an emerging Berry with Smith recuperating is not too bad of a CB stable.

With the Eagles getting Asomugha. We should call them and ask them what they want for Trevard Lindley. He was a stud corner in the SEC (even in Kentucky) can't cost much.

I am sure a lot of you have seen this news, but I thought I would post this. I kept hearing Tampa Bay has a lot of money to spend on free agents. They decided to spend it wisely.

Bucs Spend Money Wisely

Most important part of the article:

Former Falcons punter Michael Koenen just got a six-year, $19.5 million deal from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Once again: Punter. $19.5 million. Nice work, DeMaurice Smith.

The weirdest thing about it? He's not even that great. Among punters with 50 or more punts last year, Koenen ranked 30th in the league with an average of 40.7 yards. His net average was 35.6 yards, 28th in the league. Koenen is decent at dropping punts inside the 20-yard line, doing that 29 times last year, tied for eighth in the league.

It makes me laugh when reporters build up something & it crashes. Yesterday on NFL.com there was a big story on the home page that the Ryan Bros. were fighting over Nnamdi. He would go to the Jets or Cowboys. or not....

The Lions might be in better shape at CB than we think, especially if Aaron Berry can be a difference maker.

Barnett tweeted "#whatupdoe" Lions fans on twitter are going nuts. Clue in a West Michigander. What does "#whatupdoe" signify?

I'd be fine with Barnett because he can play some OLB and the coaches prefer to keep Levy in the middle but I would rather get Tulloch. But it sounds doubtful especially with Rosenhaus as Tulloch's agent.

Apparently Barrett Ruud signed with Tennessee. Not sure what the hell is taking Tulloch so long. I would prefer Tulloch over Barnett.

Yeah, I am confused by what is taking Tulloch so long. Philly is spending money elsewhere and Tennessee just signed Ruud. Rosenhaus' slimy *** is probably holding this all up.

I think the Lions have moved on from Tulloch and I think Barnett will sign tomorrow after his physical. (assuming he passes)

Apparently Barrett Ruud signed with Tennessee. Not sure what the hell is taking Tulloch so long. I would prefer Tulloch over Barnett.

This and negotiating with Barnett certainly helps Detroit's bargaining power with Tulloch. If they still want him, that is.

Tampa Bay has money to spend and now they have to replace Rudd. So, that might be an obstacle too. I'd like him but I don't think he is worth the payday he is looking for.

Same with Houston but I think he needs to be brought back and I think he will be. Cincinatti was better off signing him than Clements considering the cap room they have.

Anyway, I'd be fine with Barnett. Even if he ends up a stop gap for a year.

Just for fun....

I have a dark horse longshot to make the team and be a contributor for you to watch through camp.

His name is Quin Pitcock - DT/DE from Ohio State. I watched him through his entire career at OSU and in my opinion, was the best or second best of a talented DL that Ohio State had that year. He is big and cat quick. I'm not sure he has yet been in a pro scheme that fits his abilities, but I think the Lions DLine philosophy of turning them loose fits his abilities well. I know we are seemingly overloaded right now at DLine. Maybe camp will create space for him.

He is in my opinion primarily a DT but can also play DE, although may lack enough speed to play DE consistently. So in a nutshell, you may have a good sized DT with quickness, power and explosion.

Why has he bounced around? Quinn retired in his second year after being drafted by the Colts back in 2007 in the 3rd round. The Colts were counting on him being a starter and helping to anchor the DLine when unexpectedly, Quinn retired. Why did he retire? Quinn later came forward with the media and explained that he was suffering from depression and Video Game Addiction! To the Colts credit, they helped Quinn get medical and psychological help and Quinn is making his third attempt at getting traction with a career in the NFL after stops in Philidelphia and Seattle. As a note, Quinn's latest attempt to make a team with Seattle, he survived until the final cut.

I hope Quinn is healthy. He always had a great reputation with Ohio State and as I said before, when watching the Buckeyes during his career, I couldn't help but focus on his play as he often garnered double teams that allowed his teammates opportunity to make big plays.

Good Luck to you Quinn!

Edited by itsallgood8989

I think the Lions have moved on from Tulloch and I think Barnett will sign tomorrow after his physical. (assuming he passes)
Dave Birkett reporting via Twitter
RT #Lions have signed LB Stephen Tulloch, according to league source. Hr reunites with Jim Schwartz

Yeah, or not.

I think we're underrating the CB situation in Detroit just a little. A Smith broke his foot 3 weeks ago and should be back by the time the season starts. Lions probably feel Wright is gonna be a starter too, as he should be. Behind them we have a lot of young unproven corners. I think they should at least get a shot before they blow some cap on a big name. Personally I like how Prince Miller played against the Vikings to close out the season. Spivey could also play emergency corner if need be. Lions should look to develop a CB in house. And besides, they have the LB's now who can stop a rush. It will put opponents in a lot more passing situations. With the D-line pressure they have the lions don't really need "shut down" corners.

Edited by plach1jm

What do the Lions do at CB? The lack of depth is concerning with Smith injured.

Probably wait for Houton's price to drop then get him on a 1 year deal. If no Houston, then sign a depth guy and go with Berry or Smith if healthy.

The Lions have plenty of depth guys (Vasher, McDonald, Berry, Wright, Prince Miller, Jack Williams, and Smith), so they would need a top guy imo.

I don't see Pitcock having a chance to make this team, with Suh, Fairley, Williams, Hill, and Fluellen ahead of him. Even Robert Callaway would have a better shot imo.

I would like Houston back and thats it. THey need to pay him IMO. He's a guy who can cover #1s IMO, even if not a true shut down guy. Houston/Wright starting with Berry,Smith,Mcdonald,Vasher,Miller is more than solid if you ask me. Unless you were getting Nmamdi or Joseph, there wasn't much to upgrade.