nd1377

2011 Detroit Lions Offseason

Since this is one of the most important offseasons for the Lions in a long time, this thread needed to be started. This is a thread to discuss anything about the Lions in the offseason. Players they need, free agents they should target, things they need to do to improve, etc.

1. The Lions need to make it mandatory that Stafford MUST get in an offseason workout program to improve his weight, health, and his eating habits. As the season wore on, it looked as if he got in worse shape. He needs to get in the best shape of his life.

2. A player the Lions may be interested in:

Detroit Lions Grade Article

It won't be a shock if they make a run at Albert Haynesworth because his days with the Redskins are numbered. Schwartz and coordinator Gunther Cunningham love Haynesworth and believe he could be an ideal fit.

Since this is one of the most important offseasons for the Lions in a long time, this thread needed to be started. This is a thread to discuss anything about the Lions in the offseason. Players they need, free agents they should target, things they need to do to improve, etc.

1. The Lions need to make it mandatory that Stafford MUST get in an offseason workout program to improve his weight, health, and his eating habits. As the season wore on, it looked as if he got in worse shape. He needs to get in the best shape of his life.

2. A player the Lions may be interested in:

Detroit Lions Grade Article

With regards to Haynesworth, I think Kowalski is just throwing stuff out there and hoping it sticks. The media assumes Schwartz loves Haynesworth because of the Tennessee connection. Could be true but I am skeptical.

I doubt the Lions make a play for a big name free agent but if they do, one guy I would not mind is Logan Mankins.

Edit: Also, Doug Free would make a nice left tackle. I like Backus but Free might be better in pass protection and allow Backus to slide over to right guard or right tackle. Of course, if you like Peterman and Cherilus, then Mankins or Free do not make any sense. In addition, I don't think the Cowboys let Free get away.

Edited by Hart

where would Haynesworth play? He imploded when he was forced to play a position he didn't want to. He and Suh play the 3. Unless he WANTS to play the 1 and we can get him cheap, then do it. He can probably stay onside more often than Williams so at least that would be positive. It would have to be a perfect sitaution to pull that trigger. I like the Asomuagh pick up better if we even go after a big name guy although Haynesworth would be immensly cheaper.

Don't really want Suh hanging around Haynesworth.

But maybe you do want Haynesworth hanging around Suh...

I don't see the need for a DT at all. Williams was pro bowl caliber and Hill is good depth.

I want to re-up Houston(or franchise, must keep), Avril and CJ. Sign a few cheap gambles and ST guys like last year and maybe one big FA. Greenway or Michael Bush are ideal candidates. Asomugha is a pipe dream probably.

As long as we do those things to keep continuity and add depth, we'll be ok. The key is to have a good draft. I'd give up our 1st this year and next if we could land Petersen or someone like that.

Anyone think we should take a shot at trading for Mario Williams?

I don't think the team is deep enough to trade for a talent like Mario. Maybe if Mayhew can work his magic and get a "discount."

I don't think the team is deep enough to trade for a talent like Mario. Maybe if Mayhew can work his magic and get a "discount."

Would you trade our first rounder for him?

It would take plenty more than that. 2 firsts and maybe throw in a player or 2 or something like that. Mario and Suh would be sick though, so I'd be willing to give 2 firsts. Depends what the rest was. 2 firsts and Cliff Avril(TExans going 3-4 next year and he could easily be an OLB)? 2 firsts,Hill and Willie Young?

True, but you can franchise him twice if it really comes down to it and you get a year of exclusive negotiating rights. It's simply not worth it for the Texans to deal him for something like a first rounder. Try to think if the Lions were in the same position. Mario still has probably an entire contract extension worth of dominating years left in him and he has potential to be one of the best of all time.

My offseason plan would basically be what the Lions have done the past couple years...target 2-3 2nd teir FA and concentrate on depth and add talent in the draft.

First off, I'd like to see Houston resigned, after that I'd look at a LB, a power RB, a FB, and a CB in FA and go into the draft selecting the BPA mostly.

My targets would be...

Justin Durant LB Jacksonville

Stephen Tulloch LB Tennessee

Eric Wright CB Cleveland

Richard Marshall CB Carolina

Ahmard Hall FB Tennessee

Lawrence Vickers FB Cleveland

Le'Ron McClain FB Baltimore

Michael Bush RB Oakland

Tim Hightower RB Arizona

True, but you can franchise him twice if it really comes down to it and you get a year of exclusive negotiating rights. It's simply not worth it for the Texans to deal him for something like a first rounder. Try to think if the Lions were in the same position. Mario still has probably an entire contract extension worth of dominating years left in him and he has potential to be one of the best of all time.

You don't know if you can franchise him twice, the new CBA may prohibit that. Just thought it was an interesting topic to talk about...he's a top 5 DE and is only 25, he'd command a ridiculous salary, but won't every veteran now that the new CBA will focus on getting them money rather than the rookies? 2012 FA is going to be a BIG payday for a lot of players.

I'd love for the Lions to limit their FA signings so they could start to benefit from comp picks, if the system is similar in the next CBA. If not, then I'd love for them to fill needs in FA, then draft the best available talent.

This is one of the team's strongest positions, but there could be a slight change at the bottom of the depth chart. Matthew Stafford is solid as the starter and Shaun Hill is locked in as the backup.

Did I miss Stafford playing in these games and looking solid or something? How can he be called solid based off of a partial game in Chicago? The guy could be the next Kelly Stouffer or Dan McGwire, we just can't tell yet. I don't want to be negative but given his injuries I think some negativity has to exist.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

I would love to see an overhaul on the OL. I know there are people who don't feel it's that bad, but I think it's worse than some are willing to admit. In my opinion, the trenches are where you need to focus. Look, we have lots of great talent in the Offense. Best, Johnson, Bureleson, Stafford... And yet the Offense wasn't always that great, especially the running game. Yet we had a bunch of no-names and cast offs in LB and DB positions, and yet the Defense wasn't just Not Terrible. They were at times the shining star of the team. A great DL helped a bunch of no names look respectable and good. A poor OL caused a bunch of High Talent players to look mediocre and caused three QBs to go down with 5 different major injuries in one season.

If the Lions can focus on the OL like they did with the DL last year... I think the running game grows by leaps and bounds, the passing game gets ever better, and our QBs don't drop like flies.

Having said this, it'll be a lot harder to do this than it was to improve the DL. I don't think there is a KVB-type OL free agent out there who will step in and really impose a will on the rest of the squad. And drafting at 13 is a LOT different than drafting at 2. It's quite unlikely that we'll find a Suh-type OL player in the draft at 13. Still... If I were Mayhew, I would be focusing on OL first, then LB, and DB.

I would love to see an overhaul on the OL. I know there are people who don't feel it's that bad, but I think it's worse than some are willing to admit. In my opinion, the trenches are where you need to focus. Look, we have lots of great talent in the Offense. Best, Johnson, Bureleson, Stafford... And yet the Offense wasn't always that great, especially the running game. Yet we had a bunch of no-names and cast offs in LB and DB positions, and yet the Defense wasn't just Not Terrible. They were at times the shining star of the team. A great DL helped a bunch of no names look respectable and good. A poor OL caused a bunch of High Talent players to look mediocre and caused three QBs to go down with 5 different major injuries in one season.

If the Lions can focus on the OL like they did with the DL last year... I think the running game grows by leaps and bounds, the passing game gets ever better, and our QBs don't drop like flies.

Having said this, it'll be a lot harder to do this than it was to improve the DL. I don't think there is a KVB-type OL free agent out there who will step in and really impose a will on the rest of the squad. And drafting at 13 is a LOT different than drafting at 2. It's quite unlikely that we'll find a Suh-type OL player in the draft at 13. Still... If I were Mayhew, I would be focusing on OL first, then LB, and DB.

The Lions have the best OL in the division right now.

Did I miss Stafford playing in these games and looking solid or something? How can he be called solid based off of a partial game in Chicago? The guy could be the next Kelly Stouffer or Dan McGwire, we just can't tell yet. I don't want to be negative but given his injuries I think some negativity has to exist.

Stafford can play when he's out there. He is not Dan Mcgwire. I konw he has been hurt, but he has shown enough for me to see that he can play QB, to some degree at this level. It appears to me to be a very high level, but that part is not proven.

The pasing game was pretty studly all year long and they figured out the running game once they got Morris and a healthy Best in there. Smith adn an injured Best were bigger issues for the run game than the OL. They might need a tweak, but an overhaul is silly. Gosdar isn't an all pro, but is a very good starting RT. Sims is a stud at LG and the rest are soldi starers, especially Backus. I'd make sure there is at least competition at RG and C

What, are you his neighbor or something? How do you know his eating habits? His ability to get on the field will play a huge role in their success going forward, but it wasn't like he wasn't playing `cuz he was out of shape.

Kelly Stuffer or Dan McGwire didn't have the career stafford had in 2.5 games.

Tater it's obvious you hate Stafford but saying he didn't look Solid this year in the games he's played is insane and makes you look foolish.

What, are you his neighbor or something? How do you know his eating habits? His ability to get on the field will play a huge role in their success going forward, but it wasn't like he wasn't playing `cuz he was out of shape.

I don't know his eating habits but he doesn't look like he is in good shape. IMHO, he needs to get in better shape.

If someone is in better shape, is there a smaller chance of injury?

Yes, you missed the games against Washington and the New York Jets.