Deleterious

Nets try to involve Pistons in deal for Anthony

@STEIN_LINE_HQ

Word is DET plans to keep Troy Murphy IF Melo deal lives. Other teams already calling for Murphy but Pistons averse to buyout w/sale pending

I was right saying there would be a market for Murphy. I was wrong saying Detroit would trade him. Idiots.

Maybe if another team could offer equal expiring contracts. Have them toss in a pick or something.

@STEIN_LINE_HQ

I was right saying there would be a market for Murphy. I was wrong saying Detroit would trade him. Idiots.

Maybe if another team could offer equal expiring contracts. Have them toss in a pick or something.

This suggests to me Dumars still believes he can win with this core group of players. That is a pretty nutty thought if it's true.

This suggests to me Dumars still believes he can win with this core group of players. That is a pretty nutty thought if it's true.

Stein is probably right and its all about the pending sale. If they let Murphy walk, the erase $11 million in salary. If they trade him and take back salary, they don't get the relief.

Makes sense from a business standpoint. Just sucks as a fan.

@STEIN_LINE_HQ

I think if that was the case, then Murphy could be traded rather quickly: but IMO I don't think it is the offers they are getting. I bet it is another bad contract (and probably one worse than Hamilton's) that are being offered over and over again from other teams - so why should they trade him.

If Joe heard an offer of a 1st rounder + expiring contracts, he would take it. I would even forget about the pick if any combo of CV/Bynum/Maxiel get dealt in the process for expiring contracts.:happy:

@Chris_Broussard

Knicks have reached out to Memphis about sending OJ Mayo to DEN in 3-team deal that would send Carmelo Anthony to New York, sources say.

Well that would suck. Imagine another year of Rip after thinking he was gone?

@Chris_Broussard

Well that would suck. Imagine another year of Rip after thinking he was gone?

I already resigned myself to the fact we are stuck with Rip. 'Melo is not going to sign an extension with the Nets.

If the Nuggets don't want what the Knicks are offering, I doubt other teams would be that interested either but given how 'Melo seems like he is only willing to sign an extension with the Knicks, the Nuggets might be forced to make that happen.

I'm beginning to think that Dumars' over-evaluation with Stuckey has been more damaging to the Pistons than the Rip extension.

I know there's a debate about Stuckey vis-a-vis the "shooting guard v. point guard" thing. As in, "he's been miscast as a point guard." But the real problem is that he's just not very good. He's the same player now that he was when he got into the league: he does nothing but drive for himself and look to score for himself. And he's not good enough at it to carry the team.

I don't think you have to have a "pass first" point guard to win in the NBA. A lot of the new breed of point guards look for their own shot as much as looking to set up the offense (like Westbrook or Rose). I think Joe thinks Stuckey is as good as Westbrook or Rose (or THOUGHT he was) and that building the team around Joe's perceptions of what Stuckey's skill set was has killed the team.

If he accepts that Stuckey is nothing more than a change-of-pace shooting guard off the bench who can provide a different look, then he never trades Billups, never signs Gordon, and the Pistons are a different team. Or, he trades Billups and uses the cap space to sign someone else.

just my .02

Certainly some validity to that. Stuckey never grew as a player really at all. He didn't improve his shooting or passing much at all. I think he could be a top 6th man, stating SG with the right PG. I always wanted the Pistons to try Chauncey and Stuckey as a starting backcourt with Rip off the bench. I think Rip could have made a phenomenal 6th man, especially on a team without Ben Gordon(who I love as a player) with his scoring and energy. Those Pistons teams then never had a guy who could drive to the hole and Stuckey would have brought some of that. Chauncey running the point and knocking down 3s would have complimented his game well.

Nuggets, Nets, Pistons three-team ?Melo trade talks heat up again | ProBasketballTalk

Nuggets, Nets, Pistons three-team ‘Melo trade talks heat up again

Two different reports have the much-discussed three-team trade that would have Carmelo Anthony landing in New Jersey heating up again.

Those talks were moving very fast last weekend but reportedly lost momentum early this week when the Denver Nuggets pushed for the Nets to take on Al Harrington and his four-year, $28 million contract as part of the package. The Nuggets were reportedly the team that slowed the pace down and it may have been outgoing owner Stan Kroenke who pushed to move more salary as part of the deal.

TNT sideline reporter and NBA.com writer David Aldridge said during Thursday night’s Nuggets/Heat game that he was told the talks had started up again in earnest and something could be done as soon as next week.

That report was confirmed by the Bergin Record in New Jersey.

After the game Anthony himself said he would be playing for the Nuggets in a Saturday and Sunday back-to-back in Cleveland and San Antonio.

This is a complex, 14-to-16 player, three-team trade that would end up sending Anthony, Chauncey Billups and Rip Hamilton to New Jersey; bring Devin Harris, Derrick Favors, Anthony Morrow, some other players and a couple first-round picks to Denver; and give Detroit Troy Murphy and Johan Petro as well as picks.

The stumbling blocks are two-fold. One is Harrington and the fact nobody wants to take on that contract. It is unknown if he is still part of the deal.

The other is whether or not Anthony would sign a deal with the Nets and go to New Jersey. On one hand it’s difficult to imagine his agent working this hard on a deal if he didn’t already talk to Anthony about signing the three-year, $65 million extension. On the other hand, numerous reports have Anthony not being sold on the move and still waffling on New Jersey and the future of that franchise.

As Yahoo’s Adrian Wojnarowski said today, there are a lot of chefs in this kitchen, and a lot of different agendas. That includes a lot of people in New York, as the Knicks wait in the wings trying to make a deal to get Anthony. But in the end it comes down simply to can these three teams agree on a deal? And if they can, does Carmelo Anthony really want to go to New Jersey for a couple of years, then take the Nets (or whatever they will be called then) into Brooklyn?

We may finally be getting close to the answer of the first question, and not long after we will find out about the second.

So rumors are flying about Anthony to the Nets deal being done next week. Is that why Rip isn't playing?

First, don't risk an injury. Second, who cares if he is pissed off if he is out the door next week?

So rumors are flying about Anthony to the Nets deal being done next week. Is that why Rip isn't playing?

First, don't risk an injury. Second, who cares if he is pissed off if he is out the door next week?

Peter Vescey reported that to be the reason for Rips DNP-CD. I know right, I thought the same thing, Vescey is still alive?

I had assumed that Rip's DNP was also due to the trade being close. Why play him when you have 10 other SGs on the team and you risk injuring the guy you're trying to trade? But, who knows what goes on in the minds of Joe and Q. Not me.

Pistons source: Benching of Richard Hamilton was coaching decision, unrelated to possible trade | MLive.com

Pistons source: Benching of Richard Hamilton was coaching decision, unrelated to possible trade

A Detroit Pistons source said Wednesday and confirmed today that the benching of Detroit Pistons guard Richard Hamilton was a coaching decision -- and nothing more than that.

There has been some speculation -- and at least one news report -- that Joe Dumars ordered the benching of Hamilton to prevent his veteran guard from being injured because of the possibility that he could soon be traded to the New Jersey Nets.

But the source said that is entirely untrue and that the decision to bench Hamilton was 100 percent coach John Kuester's.

According to several published reports, discussions continue about a possible trade that would send Hamilton -- along with Carmelo Anthony and Chauncey Billups -- to the Nets.

With the Nets playing three games in four days beginning today -- and with up to eight Nets players involved in the possible trade -- some have speculated that a deal could not possibly be completed until Tuesday.

I guess we'll know for sure if Rip plays tonight. Last time he torched Toronto, so there'd be no other reason to bench him.

BTW, if we're gonna take on Petro, instead of a pick that joe will miss on, cant we just ask them to take on the waste of skin known only as Jason Maxiell? :cheeky:

Pipe dreams, i know :tired:

BTW, if we're gonna take on Petro, instead of a pick that joe will miss on, cant we just ask them to take on the waste of skin known only as Jason Maxiell? :cheeky:

Pipe dreams, i know :tired:

We would be getting the pick to take on Petro.

Looks like this is turning into a full on mutiny from the players:

Pistons players want Richard Hamilton back in action | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Ben Wallace was lost in more ways than one as he tried to navigate the Air Canada Centre loading dock before Friday's game.

He could not find the right door to walk to the team bus and he was at a loss for words in trying to describe his feeling watching Richard Hamilton ride the bench.

Advertisement

"Man, I really don't know what to make of it," Wallace said, shaking his head. "It's tough because you've got a bona fide all-star in this league. I don't know. I guess coach has his reasons but I don't see it. I just don't see it."

Tayshaun Prince, Hamilton and Wallace have played together for nearly a decade as they've been a part of the rise and fall of the Pistons. They were all in shock when Pistons coach John Kuester sat Hamilton for the second straight game during the Pistons' 101-95 victory Friday over the Raptors.

"I got to deal with it," Hamilton said. "Do I want to play? Yes. Do I want to be on the floor competing? Yes. Am I doing that now? No.

"I want to play. I want to get out on the floor and get an opportunity to do what I love to do and that is play basketball."

Hamilton and Kuester have not spoken since the benching but Kuester said Hamilton should have known he was not going to play.

"He is aware," Kuester said. "A lot of times we put our first and second team into shoot-around and it gives you an indication of how you are going to play. One of the things that has to occur is everybody on our bench has to be ready to play."

Prince wants to see Hamilton back in the lineup because he believes he can help.

"I am mad. Anger as far as now," Prince said. "When I look at it I see so many things he can help us with on the floor now."

Nice place

The Pistons last road victory came here last month when they schooled the Raptors, 115-93. They are 4-17 on the road.

From The Detroit News: Pistons players want Richard Hamilton back in action | detnews.com | The Detroit News

And if you watched last nights game an interesting thing happened. Kuester was drawing up plays in the 4th quarter, everyone was watching but Tay and TMac. They were smiling and laughing with each other, after the timeout the only two who touched the ball on the next 3 possesions were Tay and Tmac they played a two man iso game and clearly ignored what Kuester had drawn up.

This is just a circus right now.

NBA players are pretty stupid and not very conscious of the league and what it takes to build a team. Of course guys with emotional, personal relationships with these players will take offense if they are being bandied about in an auction. Doesn't detract from the fact that Rip and Tay are both babies and overpaid. Thank god Tay is gone after this year.

NBA players are pretty stupid and not very conscious of the league and what it takes to build a team. Of course guys with emotional, personal relationships with these players will take offense if they are being bandied about in an auction. Doesn't detract from the fact that Rip and Tay are both babies and overpaid. Thank god Tay is gone after this year.

Disagree 100% on your assessment of Tay. He is a veteran who is speaking his mind and still playing hard every night.

It sucks that the team of Dumars/Kuester has clouded peoples judgment and caused them to turn on Rip and Tay. They did so much for this organization, now they are being slapped in the face. They have every right to complain. The disrespect has gone too far.

Looks like this is turning into a full on mutiny from the players:

Pistons players want Richard Hamilton back in action | detnews.com | The Detroit News

And if you watched last nights game an interesting thing happened. Kuester was drawing up plays in the 4th quarter, everyone was watching but Tay and TMac. They were smiling and laughing with each other, after the timeout the only two who touched the ball on the next 3 possesions were Tay and Tmac they played a two man iso game and clearly ignored what Kuester had drawn up.

This is just a circus right now.

Yeah, I saw that. I'm pretty sure that the Pistons would be a better team if they fired Kuester and let Prince or TMac act as player coach. As much as I've questioned Dumars he's taking it to new levels now by sitting back and letting Kuester drive the team to near mutiny.

I think if its Kuester or the players here you have to pick Kuester because of the message you send otherwise by capitulating to over the hill malcontents like Rip and BWallace. When it goes public, they're daring you to get rid of them so do it.