Deleterious

Nets try to involve Pistons in deal for Anthony

Eh, I see no need to dump CV. Even if he's not a starting 4, he's a valuable player IMO. He does a lot of positive things on a basketball court. He's a nice stretch 4 off the bench and his contract is very manageable. Just entering his prime as well. I think if you put a top big man, either offensively or defensively next to him and he'll play off them well. He has his issues like I said, but for the MLE basically, he's worth it. Serious firepower off the bench, especially for when Gordon is starting. I'd deal him for a useful piece, but not for cap space. Rip will give us enough of that and there isn't much out there to be had anyways.

The Knicks really dont have much leverage in this.

They lack the cap space to get him in the offseason. It's not impossible to get it, but it would take a little work and no guarantee it ever happens. If he does become a free agent, I would still list the Knicks as heavy favorites. But not the slam dunk a lot think it is.

The other thing. Melo doesn't want to sign a free agent contract. He would much rather sign an extension. An extension is worth about $20 million more than a free agent contract.

How come Melo can only get 3 years on his extension? Seemed as if Bron and them could have gotten 5-6 years at a similar rate. Does he only want 3 years on his extension?

I have a feeling this is going to get done unless someone steps up with a great offer for Melo. This is a nice get for us if possible. I have no problem involving Petro and a 2nd rounder if necessary. Someone on ESPN made the point that Murphy was actually more productive than Rip last year too, so we might even upgrade short term. At worst Murphy improves our rebounding. We still need to make moves, but this is a better looking lineup than with Rip in there, who just doesn't mesh with Gordon and wants to be on a contender most likely.

C Wallace/Monroe Wilcox/Petro

PF Murphy Villanueva

SF Prince/Daye Summers

SG Gordon Stuckey/Mcgrady

PG Stuckey/Bynum/Mcgrady

I don't see it happening. Didn't Anthony want to play on the Knicks? It seems like Denver just wants to keep pushing the envelope.

I think it's the knicks who aren't interested actually. I'm sure they'd have pursued him as a FA, but they didn't want to give up what it would take. Reports are actually that Amare likes the team how it is and likes being the guy. He doesn't think they should screw with the chemistry they have right now. They'd probably have to give up Gallo,Chandler and a pick(obtained for Randolph probably) as well as expiring deals(Curry basically) and maybe cash or 2nd rounders or whatever. Gallo has been up and down, but has huge potential and is their best shooter, key in that Dantoni system. Chandler has been lights out and though Melo is an upgrade, he might not be enough of one to be worth gutting the roster in the present and future.

How come Melo can only get 3 years on his extension? Seemed as if Bron and them could have gotten 5-6 years at a similar rate. Does he only want 3 years on his extension?

I have a feeling this is going to get done unless someone steps up with a great offer for Melo. This is a nice get for us if possible. I have no problem involving Petro and a 2nd rounder if necessary. Someone on ESPN made the point that Murphy was actually more productive than Rip last year too, so we might even upgrade short term. At worst Murphy improves our rebounding. We still need to make moves, but this is a better looking lineup than with Rip in there, who just doesn't mesh with Gordon and wants to be on a contender most likely.

C Wallace/Monroe Wilcox/Petro

PF Murphy Villanueva

SF Prince/Daye Summers

SG Gordon Stuckey/Mcgrady

PG Stuckey/Bynum/Mcgrady

Extensions are limited to 5 years. You count this year as a full year, his player option next year as a full year, then the 3 year extension for a total of 5.

James and those guys got 6 years because they were signing new contracts - not extensions - with their old team. Technically, James and Bosh signed with Cleveland and Toronto and were instantly traded to Miami. That allowed them to get 6 years. If they had just signed with Miami, they could of only signed a 5 year deal.

If Anthony went to free agency he could sign a 5 year deal with a new team. If his new team could work out a sign and trade with Denver, he could sign a 6 year contract like James and Bosh did.

Sources: No rush for Carmelo Anthony trade - TrueHoop Blog - ESPN

Sources: No rush for Carmelo Anthony trade

After a big round of Carmelo Anthony phone calls, I predict there won't be a completed trade until close to the February 24 trade deadline. Here's why:

The Nuggets have the right to trade Anthony whenever they want. But Denver's front office lacks the right to make Anthony agree to sign a contract extension. That's purely in the player's hands.

Anthony would like the financial security of a multi-year deal before this summer's likely lockout. Presently, he can only get that kind of deal from the Nets or the Nuggets. Sources say Anthony would likely sign an extension with the Nets if that proves to be the best way he can get closer to his East coast roots. But as presently constructed they're nobody's dream destination. Perhaps another option will emerge. Anthony has no reason not to let the process play itself out, on the off-chance another team comes up with a strong offer.

Until Anthony agrees to an extension, the Nets would be crazy to give up a raft of players and picks for what could prove to be a rental.

The Nuggets have a great offer on the table now, but might see some merit in stalling, too. For one thing, it's hard to see what could happen to make the Nets' current offer disappear. Derrick Favors is playing behind Kris Humphries in New Jersey, and unlikely to increase his market value drastically. Then there's some gamesmanship surrounding the Nets' 2011 draft pick. Very high picks like that one, used skillfully, are nearly essential ingredients to winning titles, and they're damned hard to find. As the Nuggets root for that pick to be as high as possible, they root, of course, for the Nets to lose. And every loss matters, as a heated battle is underway for the NBA's worst record. The 10-27 Nets have the NBA's fifth-worst record today, but they're a mere two games out of the 8-29 Cavaliers' first, or last -- depending on your perspective -- place. Of course, the Nuggets can't do anything to make the Nets lose more ... or can they? Giving them an All-Star like Anthony may well cause the Nets to rip off some wins. It sounds a little out there, but one thought is that the longer the Nuggets keep Anthony from the Nets, the better that Nets' pick is likely to be.

Put it all together, and you have the ingredients of a likely deal: Willing participants with the means to get a trade done. But what you don't have is pressure to get something done immediately. As proposed, the deal has four parties with veto power: Anthony, the Nuggets, the Nets and the Pistons. At least two of those parties, sources say, see merit in taking it slow.

It'd be nice to get this done, but it sounds like Denver might be waiting for the perfect storm. They have a franchise player and don't want to wind up looking like like the Cavs after he's gone.

I am a bit concerned about the fact that all we'd get is cap room. Don't get me wrong, it's better than keeping Rip's contract, but I worry about what Joe will do with that money. I used to only worry about his drafting, but after the BG/CV offseason, I'm worried about his FA decisions as well.

I wonder. If he gets this deal done and has another 20 Mil to spend this offseason (guessing at a number), does he actually try to make this team "tough" like he keeps saying he's going to do, or does he just piss away the money again?

There don't seem to be a lot of PGs available, which is a concern. Stuckey's contract is up and hopefully he doesn't get another one from us. We'd have to look to the draft or another trade to solve that problem.

However, there are a good number of big men available. Some of the names that I see on the list are:

Marc Gasol - restricted, but he's a beast inside

Tyson Chandler - solid rebounding and shot blocking

Kendrick Perkins - you want to add toughness?

Sam Dalembert - average, but he can rebound and block shots

Zach Randolph - not terribly exciting to me

Yao Ming - no thanks, but some might like the idea.

Tim Duncan - Early Termination Option...yeah, right.

Shane Battier - if Tay goes, he's a tough, defensive player to share minutes with Daye.

Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud here about what Joe might do with some or all of the cash depending upon the level of player listed above. But, based upon recent history, he might just decide to sign Marquis Daniels and Boris Diaw instead :(

Also, let's not forget about signing Jerebko - though that should be cheaper than it might have been had he not been injured.

It's very possible Joe wont be the one spending that cap space. Depending on what happens with the sale.

I like the way you think :happy:

All I'd add to the freeing up the salary cap space discussion is that by keeping Rip, you are essentially pissing that money away for the next 2 and a half years anyway, so I don't personally see how freeing that space up is much of a risk.

Or alternatively, I don't see how this team can rebuild effectively keeping Rip around. I personally think the risk associated with keeping Rip and doing some half-***ed job of rebuilding via freeing up small bits of cap space annually is far greater than the risk associated with freeing up a bunch of cash at one time and trying to rebuild.

It'd be nice to get this done, but it sounds like Denver might be waiting for the perfect storm. They have a franchise player and don't want to wind up looking like like the Cavs after he's gone.

I am a bit concerned about the fact that all we'd get is cap room. Don't get me wrong, it's better than keeping Rip's contract, but I worry about what Joe will do with that money. I used to only worry about his drafting, but after the BG/CV offseason, I'm worried about his FA decisions as well.

I wonder. If he gets this deal done and has another 20 Mil to spend this offseason (guessing at a number), does he actually try to make this team "tough" like he keeps saying he's going to do, or does he just piss away the money again?

There don't seem to be a lot of PGs available, which is a concern. Stuckey's contract is up and hopefully he doesn't get another one from us. We'd have to look to the draft or another trade to solve that problem.

However, there are a good number of big men available. Some of the names that I see on the list are:

Marc Gasol - restricted, but he's a beast inside

Tyson Chandler - solid rebounding and shot blocking

Kendrick Perkins - you want to add toughness?

Sam Dalembert - average, but he can rebound and block shots

Zach Randolph - not terribly exciting to me

Yao Ming - no thanks, but some might like the idea.

Tim Duncan - Early Termination Option...yeah, right.

Shane Battier - if Tay goes, he's a tough, defensive player to share minutes with Daye.

Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud here about what Joe might do with some or all of the cash depending upon the level of player listed above. But, based upon recent history, he might just decide to sign Marquis Daniels and Boris Diaw instead :(

Also, let's not forget about signing Jerebko - though that should be cheaper than it might have been had he not been injured.

I don't want the Pistons to really lock themselves into any long term contracts until we get closer to getting rid of Gordon and CV. Just take the high draft pick the next two years and then make a play in a better free agent class.

There are no reasons for NJ or Detroit to wait. There are reasons for the Nuggets to wait. However, they have to be careful because 'Melo could easily decide at the deadline that he won't sign an extension and then he gets the freedom to go wherever he wants this summer.

He has about 20 million reasons not to do that. We don't all have your type of money :wink:

He has about 20 million reasons not to do that. We don't all have your type of money :wink:

Do you not think there are other teams out there that will pay him 20 million dollars?

Do you not think there are other teams out there that will pay him 20 million dollars?

Sure, but they cant. Him signing with his current team allows him to sign a deal for $20 million more than signing with a new team.

Anthony has said a few times getting that extension is very important to him.

Anthony wants extension, reportedly in New York | NBA.com

After the Nuggets' 129-125 loss to the Knicks, the team Anthony reportedly wants to play for, he was asked the importance of getting an extension before the collective bargaining agreement expires next summer. The NBA wants major salary cuts in the next deal.

"Whatever decision that I make, that's going to be the first thing that gets done," Anthony said.

Sure, but they cant. Him signing with his current team allows him to sign a deal for $20 million more than signing with a new team.

Anthony has said a few times getting that extension is very important to him.

Anthony wants extension, reportedly in New York | NBA.com

Is there any chance a deal gets done in the summer before the CBA expires? I did not even realize the CBA was set to expire.

My feeling about the NBA is that there are a lot of teams hurting but there are also some teams doing just fine and they will spend whatever it takes to get a player such as Anthony so unless the NBA puts a hard cap on, the new cba won't matter much.

Is there any chance a deal gets done in the summer before the CBA expires? I did not even realize the CBA was set to expire.

My feeling about the NBA is that there are a lot of teams hurting but there are also some teams doing just fine and they will spend whatever it takes to get a player such as Anthony so unless the NBA puts a hard cap on, the new cba won't matter much.

Good question. I'm not even sure when it expires. As soon as the Nuggets season ends they can trade him again, if he will sign the extension which will trigger his player option, etc. So yeah, they will most likely have some time. Cant say how much though.

I can't take it make the DEAL NOW, someone is blinking, get this deal done before they wake up and realize Hamilton for an expiring, a young big on a small short contract and a pick is golden. Too bad about losing Terrico White, but he's probably going to be fodder anyway, wish they could put Summers in instead, we already know he's limited.

“@Chris_Broussard: Nuggets-Nets still trying to agree to terms. Detroit's still in, just waiting for other two teams to put it together.”

“@Chris_Broussard: Sticking point still that Den wants Al Harrington in the deal. Clubs would love to find 4th team to take Al.”

“@Chris_Broussard: Den would love to engage Portland and send Devin Harris, whom the Blazers like, there for andre Miller and Nic Batum. Port wants 2 keep Nic”

Edited by Anthony

“@Chris_Broussard: Deal definitely not dead, but they ain't "on the 10-yard line" anymore.”

Nuggets threaten to trade 'Melo to N.Y. - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

Nuggets threaten to trade ‘Melo to N.Y.

Before resuming trade talks for Carmelo Anthony(notes) on Monday, the Denver Nuggets delivered a stern warning to the New Jersey Nets: Unless the public nature of these trade discussions becomes private, be warned that we will send Anthony to the New York Knicks.

Nothing else the Nuggets could’ve said would send such chills of unease through the Nets, and that’s why Denver made the threat, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Would the Nuggets do such a thing out of spite? Would they take a lesser package out of vengeance? No one could be sure, but it sure delivered one more element of drama and intrigue to these trade talks.

Indeed, the tone of the discussions between the Nuggets and Nets dramatically changed on Monday. Executives went underground with talks, and several agents were frustrated they could no longer get information from the two teams about where the talks stood. Sources still believed the Nets and Nuggets had the framework of a deal, but the talks had retreated from what one source deemed “really close” on Sunday.

Denver pushed a reset button on the three-team, 13-player blockbuster as it wanted more payroll relief and seemed determined to find a way to shed themselves of the four years and $28 million left on Al Harrington’s(notes) contract. For a young Nuggets management team under siege, this threat was something of a show of muscle.

The Nets and Detroit Pistons believed they had an arrangement in place Sunday that would’ve sent Anthony, Nuggets point guard Chauncey Billups(notes) and Pistons guard Richard Hamilton(notes) to the Nets as part of the blockbuster deal. Once the Nets and Pistons worked out the details of a side component to the 13-player deal on Sunday afternoon, the two teams were surprised to find Denver general manager Masai Ujiri wanting to replace players in the framework of the overall trade, sources said.

Anthony’s agent, Leon Rose, has worked relentlessly to help structure the package of players that will arrive in New Jersey with Anthony.

Nuggets officials were angry with the insinuation they had backed away, insisting they never agreed to a scenario where they would complete the deal. As one Denver official told Yahoo! Sports late Sunday, “People are trying to pressure us.”

[Rewind: LeBron booed at Melo’s New York wedding]

Still, everyone involved in the trade believed the Nuggets had come too far to walk away, and talks continued between Ujiri and King.

The proposed trade will send Anthony, Hamilton, Billups, Nuggets guard Anthony Carter(notes) and forward Shelden Williams(notes) to the Nets. The Nuggets will receive two first-round picks from the Nets, point guard Devin Harris(notes), rookie forward Derrick Favors(notes), guards Anthony Morrow(notes), Ben Uzoh(notes), Stephen Graham(notes) and Quinton Ross(notes). The Pistons will get Nets forward Troy Murphy(notes) and center Johan Petro(notes).

The Nets and Pistons have all but completed a component of the trade that exchanges Murphy for Hamilton, sources said. The teams have agreed to include Petro, who has two years and $6.75 million left on his contract after this season, but were still working out whether Detroit would receive a draft pick. The Pistons are motivated to unload the remaining two years and $25 million on Hamilton’s contract for Murphy’s $12 million expiring deal.

The Nets were assisting the Pistons in finding another team to move Petro onto because Detroit – in the midst of an ownership sale – needs maximum financial savings for its payroll. New Jersey and Detroit were surprised on Sunday night when Denver allowed the players included in the proposed trade to play in a game against the New Orleans Hornets. The Nets believed they had fulfilled Denver’s requirements only to find the Nuggets wanted to rearrange parts in the 13-player deal.

Billups would prefer to stay in Denver, but to make him more comfortable about the trade, the Nets are expected to commit to paying him the full $14.2 million he’s due next season in the final year of his contract rather than buying him out for just $3.7 million this summer, league sources told Y! Sports’ Marc Spears. Billups’ agent, Andy Miller, had said Saturday that his client would immediately seek a buyout if he wasn’t happy with the trade.

The Knicks remain Anthony’s preferred destination, but Ujiri has told Knicks president Donnie Walsh that his team doesn’t have the assets Denver wants. When Walsh has asked Ujiri to provide him with a list of the Nuggets’ desires, whether it be draft picks or specific players from other teams, sources said Ujiri has been unresponsive.

Rose has been the driving force behind bringing Hamilton into the talks, league sources said. Rose also represents Hamilton, and sources said he pushed Nets GM Billy King to bring the Pistons into trade talks with New Jersey and the Nuggets. Anthony has wanted the Nets to upgrade their roster upon his arrival for him to sign an extension.

“Leon is driving this one,” one front-office executive told Yahoo! Sports on Friday night.

With Anthony’s agent so heavily involved in brokering particular players in the deal, the Nets are working under a belief that a proposed package to bring them Hamilton and Billups would be sufficient to sell Anthony on joining them over the Knicks.

Rose and William Wesley of CAA have long wanted to get Anthony and another of their clients, New Orleans Hornets point guard Chris Paul(notes), to the Nets as the franchise prepares for a move to Brooklyn, N.Y. For now, Rose is pushing hard to get a suitable package together for Denver to get his client off a team he longer wants to play for.

The Record of Hackensack, N.J., first reported that New Jersey had engaged Detroit in the talks on Friday.

Most league executives were uncertain as to why Anthony would believe Billups and Hamilton, ages 34 and 32, respectively, would be tantalizing. Nevertheless, Denver has shown little interest in negotiating a trade with New York and believes Anthony doesn’t want to risk free agency this offseason when a new labor agreement could cost him tens of millions of dollars in guaranteed money.

As Yahoo! Sports first reported on Dec. 14, the Nets want the chance to use Russian billionaire owner Mikhail Prokhorov to personally sell Anthony on signing a contract extension.

Well, the Nets play Wednesday night, so this deal is probably on hold for a bit now. Next time they have 2 consecutive days off is Feb 7th and 8th.

I suppose its not impossible to announce a deal on a Monday night, and then get all the physicals done by Wednesday night. But with 13 players that is probably asking a lot.

There are no reasons for NJ or Detroit to wait...

...so why are they? Is there anything indicating players/assets exchanging between Denver and Detroit?

Is it because NJ wants to be 100% the Denver side of the trade goes through before committing to taking on more salary? If you ask me, NJ would be better anyway if they complete the trade for Rip, even if it's for the rest of his contract. The only thing I can think of on why they don't is, if Denver decides not to trade 'Melo, NJ wants to keep the expiring contract.