Deleterious

Nets try to involve Pistons in deal for Anthony

I think Billups will soften on that. He doesn't seem like that kind of guy. I think staying with Melo and playing with Rip again will be enough for him.

I can't imagine why he wouldn't. Denver is clearly going nowhere in their current situation and the last thing he should want to happen is to be stuck there in the future without Carmelo.

Chad Ford just tweeted something interesting.

If the trade happens. NJ will only have 5 players on its roster until the traded players pass physicals. So I am guessing if/when it happens, it will happen when they have 2-3 days off.

Quick check of their schedule. The next time they have 2 consecutive days off is Feb 7th and 8th. Ugh.

Well, they don't play till the 12th. So I guess if it happened tonight that could work.

Crap. Can't they just bring in their entire D-League team? Doesn't seem like it'd be that huge of a drop off as far as results go.

I think Billups will soften on that. He doesn't seem like that kind of guy. I think staying with Melo and playing with Rip again will be enough for him.

That's what I originally thought, but I don't think so anymore. He probably realizes there's a good chance he's not re-signed after his contract expires in NJ, and as the article stated, he's finally playing back at home & probably just flat out doesn't want to move.

@KBerg_CBS

No doubt Billups prefers to stay in Denver. But source rejected notion of buyout this season if sent to NJ. "Highly unlikely," he said.

Who knows anymore. I'm guessing Melo wants Billups. If Billups wanted a buyout then Melo wouldn't sign his extension. No extension means no trade. So I would guess if the trade happens, Billups will be fine.

And if it works out, I will hunt Anthony's agent down and shake his hand.

That's an interesting point. It sounds like the reason Hamilton & the Pistons are involved is more through Anthony's/Hamilton's agent rather than Dumars actively shopping as a go between or 3rd team for this to go through. Maybe I'm looking at that the wrong way though, I don't know.

Regardless, hopefully it goes down and the rebuild can get a healthy boost from this.

@WojYahooNBA

New Jersey and Detroit expected Denver to sit its players tonight vs. Hornets on cusp of deal, and Denver played them. That halted things.

You have to be kidding me. Denver is possibly getting the best value I have ever seen for trading a superstar. Take it and run.

Probably tomorrow morning. Nobody will be at the league offices tonight I imagine.

It pretty much has to be done tomorrow or wait until February. Need a day or two for all the physicals and the Nets have 3 days off till their next game.

@WojYahooNBA

You have to be kidding me. Denver is possibly getting the best value I have ever seen for trading a superstar. Take it and run.

Couldn't believe that when i read it. Get this done!

Probably tomorrow morning. Nobody will be at the league offices tonight I imagine.

It pretty much has to be done tomorrow or wait until February. Need a day or two for all the physicals and the Nets have 3 days off till their next game.

If that is the case, then there is no reason not to play Carmelo tonight.

These last few items that have been coming out give me this strange dread that this isn't going to happen...

I know. With the way the last two years have gone, I am programmed to expect the worst.

If that is the case, then there is no reason not to play Carmelo tonight.

Not to get him hurt? Pretty common to not play guys close to a trade about to go down.

@WojYahooNBA

Are you under the assumption that the Pistons would not giving up a pick but would be taking back Petro if this deal went down? Or is there a 4th team involved?

Are you under the assumption that the Pistons would not giving up a pick but would be taking back Petro if this deal went down? Or is there a 4th team involved?

If Melo wants Rip, I see no reason to include a pick.

From right before the sitting players tweet.

"Nets and Pistons are working out Petro and a draft pick to go with Murphy, but on hold as Denver "remains vague" with what else it may want."

If Melo wants Rip, I see no reason to include a pick.

I am just wondering about the specifics of the deal; not what you think. No offense.:wink:

"Nets and Pistons are working out Petro and a draft pick to go with Murphy, but on hold as Denver "remains vague" with what else it may want."

Denver needs to take this trade. Who do they think they are? If they don't trade him, he is gone and they don't get anything.

This is pretty confusing. This makes me think the Pistons might be getting a pick.

Edit: If Denver is the one with cold feet, the Pistons have other assets they can ship to Denver to get this done. Daye? Stuckey?

Edited by Hart

“@WojYahooNBA: Nuggets official insists they never agreed to deal pending NJ-DET arrangement for Petro. "People are trying to pressure us," source tells Y!”

Denver is going to drag *** so they have to postpone the trade. Makes sense with all the picks they are getting, assuming some of them are the Nets actual picks. Why give them a better team for the next 20 days and get a lower pick.