Deleterious

Nets try to involve Pistons in deal for Anthony

Who is Minnesota going to give up to match Murphy's contract?

I think they have enough cap space to eat his deal without sending out any salary.

EDIT: Yeah, they do. They have $12.4M in space. His contract is $11.9.

I think they have enough cap space to eat his deal without sending out any salary.

EDIT: Yeah, they do. They have $12.4M in space. His contract is $11.9.

ESPN has them at 11.8 something under, so a little maneuvering had to be done in order to get this to work. Overall, much cleaner of a deal going down in my world.

NBA Trade Machine - ESPN

I just used the cheapest example of Koufkas, but it could be anybody really.

Why would Minnesota want to take on Murphy and his 12M expiring or not and give up a first rounder for that right? Cash I assume would be part of the deal but I thought 3M was the max and that wouldn't come close to covering the salary they would be taking on.

Reminds me of that mammoth Laettner/Rice/Ewing/Baker deal that Joe backed out of early on in his tenure where the Pistons would've traded Laettner for 7 guys that probably couldn't make the roster for some cash, and a garbage 1st rounder to make a deal work for the other teams involved.

Edited by tigerz

Yes, you are missing something. Murphy has an expiring contract.

So basically the Pistons would be dumping Hamilton in the hope that some big name free agent would sign on with this team in its current sorry state? That seems like a losing proposition...Rip is probably better than any FA that will come our way. I'd rather trade Hamilton for a warm, big body that will stay on our roster and help this team win some games...and save our #1 pick for a potential good young player. We tried the whole trading a good player for an expiring contract with Allen Iverson, and that was an epic fail.

So basically the Pistons would be dumping Hamilton in the hope that some big name free agent would sign on with this team in its current sorry state? That seems like a losing proposition...Rip is probably better than any FA that will come our way. I'd rather trade Hamilton for a warm, big body that will stay on our roster and help this team win some games...and save our #1 pick for a potential good young player. We tried the whole trading a good player for an expiring contract with Allen Iverson, and that was an epic fail.

Getting rid of Rips contract & helping free up the log jam at guard are both pluses. There's no need for us to have as many guards as we do. As someone mentioned, if we could protect the pick (top 3 or 5) then I don't see any problem in trading it away. We were sitting around 6th or 7th in the lottery, now we're up to 7th or 8th. There's a chance we get lucky & end up higher than that, but realistically where we currently sit we have anywhere from a 2-7% chance to be in the top 3. If we're stuck sitting at our current spot, there might not be anyone special there (example being Greg Monroe). And as far as the whole AI deal, it was a great move to free up the space, but the signings that came after that weren't, but hopefully Joe D wouldn't make that same mistake again.

Why would Minnesota want to take on Murphy and his 12M expiring or not and give up a first rounder for that right? Cash I assume would be part of the deal but I thought 3M was the max and that wouldn't come close to covering the salary they would be taking on.

Reminds me of that mammoth Laettner/Rice/Ewing/Baker deal that Joe backed out of early on in his tenure where the Pistons would've traded Laettner for 7 guys that probably couldn't make the roster for some cash, and a garbage 1st rounder to make a deal work for the other teams involved.

I think that RealGM story I posted is wrong. Minnesota would be receiving picks, not sending them out.

Melo on the other hand has a player option for next season. You exercise (Or decline) that option at midnight July 1. So the league doesn't view him as a free agent until then. So after the Nugget season ends, he can be traded up till July 1.

He can only be traded after the trade deadline if he picks up his player option. A team couldn't trade for him as an expiring after the deadline. Same with team options.

From Hoopshype:

HoopsHype - NBA Rumors

The Warriors are interested in Tayshaun Prince and have been intrigued by Zach Randolph, two guys who might fit that description and could be available. Some league sources still believe Andre Iguodala - one of Curry's favorites - could be made available, but many have soured on that scuttlebutt. San Francisco Chronicle

The biggest problem this team has is Rip and Tay. They aren't plugged in enough to be consistent factors, but they show up with just enough frequency to prevent the team from being truly horrible.We need to get them out of here for as little returning talent as possible.

The fan base doesn't really care right now any way so tank it for a year or two and rebuild

I would not give up our #1 pick this year just to get rid of Hamilton's expiring contract so I agree with you there. I think there are other ways around this though.

It's mostly up to how NJ wants to do things.

If they want a player and don't mind taking on salary, Detroit is in play. I am starting to think it will most certainly cost Detroit a 1st round pick though.

If they want cap relief and no player. They will trade with a team like Minnesota who has the cap space to eat Murphy's contract. Or teams like Cleveland or Toronto who have huge trade exceptions from the James/Bosh trades to absorb Murphy's contract. But that will cost NJ at least 1 1st round pick. They have picks to burn, so not sure if it bugs them that much.

Either way, I am starting to think NJ is going to overpay for Anthony. Harris, Favors, a huge expiring contract in Murphy, and maybe 3 to 4 1st round picks? Ouch.

too bad they wanted the pick. Rip needs to be dumped, but thats too much of a cost :(

I'd trade Rip and a first for Murphy and Petro. Petro makes 3 mil for 2 more years, he can replace Wilcox basically as the extra big at the same price. No biggy there. You clear Rip and Prince that way next year. You can start Gordon, bring Stuckey off the bench as the 3rd guard and find a PG, or something like that. You'd haev some cap space to go after a guy like Kendrick Perkins or a trade target.

I'd like to add Kyrie Irving,Enes Kanter, Harrison Barnes or Perry Jones, but I doubt we draft that high and we don't need another mid to late lottery type on this roster, sorry. Dumping Rip is more valuable.

RT @Chris_Broussard: NJ wanting Det 1st round pick was deal-breaker, so NJ backed off that. NJ wants to send TMurphy & JPetro to Det for Rip

DEAL! DEAL DEAL DEAL!!!!!!!

So this looks like it is picking up steam. Think it will happen?

Looks like a real shot, JoeD apparently has leverage so Melo must actually want Rip to come. If Melo is working on Rip coming, it would make sense that he actually will sign with NJ. It would make no sense for him to push vet help and not be willing to come himself. Plus Wojo is usually pretty solid.

God bless eccentric Russian billionaires and superstars with no concerns for cap space.

It makes sense to want Rip there. Extra veteran talent to help Melo win and it probably ehlps to ease Billups' concerns. I don't think we get a first, but if we can just get Murphy and Petro for Rip and Wilcox or something like that, it's a steal. Keep our first, dump Rip and we are set up nicely for next offseason with a new owner. Keep Stuckey one more year on a cheap tender, give Monroe and Daye a lot more playing time as well as Jerebko, add a lottery pick and you have 15 mil or so to play with in FA IIRC. Not bad for a rebuild.

Irving Stuckey/Bynum

Gordon Stuckey White

Daye/ Mcgrady(I'd love to bring him back if possible) Jerebko

Monroe CV/Jerebko

Perkins Wallace(Monroe) Petro

The Timberwolves might be the final piece in this deal if they give a low 1st/high 2nd pick for Petro. Think about this scenario:

NBA Trade Machine - ESPN

Now is this ridiculous beyond belief? Yep, no way Detroit gets away with doing all of this at once. It would be a nice late Christmas gift, but if we we use the RIP advantage properly, something like this is closer to reality.:rambo:

The Timberwolves might be the final piece in this deal if they give a low 1st/high 2nd pick for Petro. Think about this scenario:

NBA Trade Machine - ESPN

Now is this ridiculous beyond belief? Yep, no way Detroit gets away with doing all of this at once. It would be a nice late Christmas gift, but if we we use the RIP advantage properly, something like this is closer to reality.:rambo:

The link is working (I think), but no trade gets shown.

I really wish Dumars could figure out a way to get Ty Lawson if Devin Harris is going to Denver.

Also, I don't see the big harm in taking on Petro.