Deleterious

Nets try to involve Pistons in deal for Anthony

We need another forward-center...Pass on this "deal". Until the team is sold I don't see much happening trade wise anyways.

Am I missing something here...they want Rip Hamilton and a #1 for Troy Murphy? It doesn't seem like much of good deal for the Pistons. Heck, I'm not sure I'd give up Rip straight up for Murphy.

Yes, you are missing something. Murphy has an expiring contract.

I doubt this gets down before the deadline.

One of those articles said that Denver doesn't want to pay Murphy. Obviously they still have to pay Anthony during this time. But he wins games, puts butts in seats, etc. Murphy doesn't.

Also, since draft picks are involved. I assume one of them is this years pick. Why give NJ a better team to improve their draft position if Denver is getting their pick? Let them lose as much as they can in the next month to improve that pick they are sending you.

This is from Denver's point of view. But from Detroit's point of view, I would say the Pistons are going to want to strike when the iron is hot. As we have seen already, new teams and packages are thrown into the mix all the time and it just so happens the latest one is one that involves us. The next one, two, or ten probably won't.

This is from Denver's point of view. But from Detroit's point of view, I would say the Pistons are going to want to strike when the iron is hot. As we have seen already, new teams and packages are thrown into the mix all the time and it just so happens the latest one is one that involves us. The next one, two, or ten probably won't.

I agree Detroit would like to do it ASAP. But Denver really has the only POV that matters. They hold all the cards as to when it gets done. They aren't even rushed by the trade deadline since they can technically trade Melo after the season is over.

Am I missing something here...they want Rip Hamilton and a #1 for Troy Murphy? It doesn't seem like much of good deal for the Pistons. Heck, I'm not sure I'd give up Rip straight up for Murphy.

Its basically giving up a #1 to get out of 2 years of Hamilton's contract.

I wouldn't do it. But I can understand the argument for it.

Its basically giving up a #1 to get out of 2 years of Hamilton's contract.

I wouldn't do it. But I can understand the argument for it.

Agree. A #1 draft pick for this team is important, dumping Rip's salary would be great but I wouldn't do it at the expense of losing young talent.

I agree Detroit would like to do it ASAP. But Denver really has the only POV that matters. They hold all the cards as to when it gets done. They aren't even rushed by the trade deadline since they can technically trade Melo after the season is over.

Is Carmelo actually a free agent after the season? I always kind of thought he was forcing their hand.

Is Carmelo actually a free agent after the season? I always kind of thought he was forcing their hand.

He is and he isn't.

Take Prince for example. After the Pistons last game, he is done. If he is still on the team you cant do a thing with him. Cant sign him (Till July 1) or trade him because his contract has expired.

Melo on the other hand has a player option for next season. You exercise (Or decline) that option at midnight July 1. So the league doesn't view him as a free agent until then. So after the Nugget season ends, he can be traded up till July 1.

What would we do with the salary cap space?

EXACTLY.

Especially with Dumars making FA decisions. Who's gonna come here that can sell tickets??

EXACTLY.

Especially with Dumars making FA decisions. Who's gonna come here that can sell tickets??

So what is your solution?

With salary cap we can hopefully split it amongst some big men, use the draft to look for some young talent and hope to make a trade or two to put us back in contention.

A #1 draft pick for this team is important, dumping Rip's salary would be great but I wouldn't do it at the expense of losing young talent.

Right...

We need to understand that salary-dumping is only advantageous for sexy teams.

We need our picks. That's the most realistic way to bolster talent on a cold-weather, non-major market team.

So what is your solution?

With salary cap we can hopefully split it amongst some big men, use the draft to look for some young talent and hope to make a trade or two to put us back in contention.

You basically answered the question...

...Additionally right now, your trade pieces are Rip, Tay and Rodney (although I don't think Joe would trade him).

...But, yeah: they need to keep shuffling young talent in here, until they come up with the right combination - as they did with the Grant Hill Revamp.

Right...

We need to understand that salary-dumping is only advantageous for sexy teams.

We need our picks. That's the most realistic way to bolster talent on a cold-weather, non-major market team.

I don't think we can afford to give up our pick this year. I would be willing to explore trading a future first round pick if it is top 5 or top 3 protected.

Whatever it takes...just get it done. This is the trade we need to jumpstart our rebuilding process. Then we can move on to trying to trade BG and CV. :grin:

With that many players involved, maybe we can just slip CV in without anyone noticing. He will just show up at Nets practice one day.

Whatever it takes...just get it done. This is the trade we need to jumpstart our rebuilding process. Then we can move on to trying to trade BG and CV. :grin:
The scenario I played around with last night was a 12 player w/ CV involved, but not Gordon. I figured the trade would never happen as I had it though...

EDIT: got this deal that works w/ 16 players, even though I don't really like it, more of a blah trade - without DP's that is. Try for yourself on the ESPN trade machine and see what happens.

Edited by Zack attack

Source: Pistons have resumed talks with Nets; Richard Hamilton says situation is not a distraction | MLive.com

The Pistons rejected a trade offer from the New Jersey Nets late Friday that would have sent Hamilton and a first-round draft pick to the Nets, according to a source. The trade would have brought forward Troy Murphy, who has an expiring contract; center Johan Petro, who is owed almost $7 million over the next two seasons; and a player to be determined to the Pistons.

The proposed trade also would have sent Denver Nuggets star Carmelo Anthony to New Jersey.

A source said the Pistons quickly rejected that deal.

The team is willing to trade Hamilton, who has two years and about $25 million left on it following this season, but did not want to take Petro's deal in return. The Pistons also had zero interest in moving a first-round pick in the 2011 draft – which will likely be a lottery pick – to the Nets.

The source said the Nets called and made the offer, the Pistons turned them down and the talks were dead. But talks resumed between the teams early Saturday evening.

The scenario I played around with last night was a 12 player w/ CV involved, but not Gordon. I figured the trade would never happen as I had it though...

EDIT: got this deal that works w/ 16 players, even though I don't really like it, more of a blah trade - without DP's that is. Try for yourself on the ESPN trade machine and see what happens.

I got it to work with 10.

RealGM: Trade Checker

Works good for NJ and Detroit.

Denver gets what they want pretty much. They want Favors and Harris so they don't care about their long term contracts. Morrow will have 2 more years at $4M each, so they have to eat that a bit. Vujacic and Humphries are expiring contracts.

Include the picks and call it a day.

That looks better than my 18 player disaster trade. I just kept going until it worked, lol.

NBA Trade Machine - ESPN

I like yours better. Clears out more crap contracts.

How awesome would it be to see a trade involving a number of players >= an entire roster.

The Pistons have to get this done now. This might be our one and only chance to trade Rip. Take back Petro's contract. That should not be a sticking point. As for the first round pick, I refuse to believe that is the deal breaker for the Nets. Offer Daye instead. Or Stuckey. Or maybe even offer Monroe. Just figure it out and get it done.

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Denver Wants Minnesota To Take On Murphy In Melo Deal

Denver Wants Minnesota To Take On Murphy In Melo Deal

The Nuggets are trying to recruit the Timberwolves as the third team in a potential Carmelo Anthony trade with the Nets, according to Ken Berger of CBS Sports.

Denver wants Minnesota to take on Troy Murphy and send a first-round pick to New Jersey to facilitate the deal.

The Timberwolves have two extra first-round picks in 2011 -- one each from the Jazz and Grizzlies.