Deleterious

Nets try to involve Pistons in deal for Anthony

Prokhorov says nyet to meeting with ?Melo, Knicks in driver?s seat | ProBasketballTalk

I don't get why Dolan has taken over for the Knicks. I thought Walsh was playing his hand perfectly. Just sit back and let the trade deadline panic Denver into giving you a sweetheart deal. Now the Knicks are giving up their entire team for a guy they probably could have got for much less.

My opinion is that 'Melo was getting sick of the whole process and it was driving him closer to just accepting an extension with the Nets. There have been reports that he was unhappy the Knicks were not willing to part with certain players to acquire him.

Prokhorov says nyet to meeting with ?Melo, Knicks in driver?s seat | ProBasketballTalk

I don't get why Dolan has taken over for the Knicks. I thought Walsh was playing his hand perfectly. Just sit back and let the trade deadline panic Denver into giving you a sweetheart deal. Now the Knicks are giving up their entire team for a guy they probably could have got for much less.

Because Dolan is an idiot. Remember, this is the guy who hired and kept Isiah.

Because Dolan is an idiot. Remember, this is the guy who hired and kept Isiah.

And just tried to rehire him!

Twitter / Eye on Basketball: @KBerg_CBS reports tonight ...

@KBerg_CBS reports tonight that Deron Williams has informed associates he looks to join Amar'e in New York in 2012.

Kind of off topic, but kind of not.

Looks like Isiah was brought in to help with Anthony. Walsh must be counting the days till he can leave.

@KBerg_CBS reports tonight that Dolan's inclusion of Isiah Thomas in Melo talks could call into question Walsh's commitment to Knicks

Report: Nets leave ?Melo meeting ?not confident,? but Knicks have own issues | ProBasketballTalk

Report: Nets leave ‘Melo meeting “not confident,” but Knicks have own issues

The Carmelo Anthony trade saga is nearing its end — finally — but like a soap opera’s final episodes the drama just seems to ramp up for the event. Here is where we stand Sunday morning.

Anthony and Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov broke break and had a shot of, um, water at a Los Angeles area restaurant early Saturday night.

The result should not thrill Nets fans, tweeted Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo:

After Carmelo Anthony sit-down with New Jersey ownership, “The Nets didn’t come away very confident,” a source briefed on meeting tells Y!

That would seem to put the Knicks in a position of strength….

But they are doing their best to shoot themselves in the foot — including maybe driving team president Donnie Walsh away — according to Ken Berger at CBSSports.

The Knicks’ willingness to part with three starting players — Wilson Chandler, Danilo Gallinari and Raymond Felton — plus Eddy Curry’s expiring contract and a first-round pick from another team, marked a significant departure from the patient strategy employed by team president Donnie Walsh. And sources told CBSSports.com Saturday that the involvement of (Knicks owner James) Dolan, leaning on the advice of former team president Isiah Thomas, could call into question Walsh’s willingness to remain with the team beyond this season.

Wojnarowski backs up the idea that Thomas and Dolan are the ones pushing this trade in this form.

This is Dolan’s show now — he met with Anthony, he and Thomas are calling the shots. This trade, if it goes forward as constructed, is vintage Thomas-era Knicks. If Anthony will not sign with the Nets, the Knicks are bidding against themselves, so there is no reason to part with three starters. What is more, this deal combined with Amar’e Stoudemire’s and a likely much lower salary cap in a new CBA, will make it very difficult or even impossible to sign a third star like Chris Paul or Deron Williams to go with these two. Melo and Amar’e will be your guys. And you’ll need good role players — like the ones you are trading away — to go around them to make this work at all. This move hamstrings the team for years to come against the cap. It is vintage Thomas.

If Anthony is not going to go to the Nets, the Knick can afford to be patient and lowball the Nuggets, forcing them to take less for fear of getting nothing. Walsh was letting the situation come to him. Dolan and Thomas showed the patience and nuance of a five-year-old. Or a sports talk radio caller.

Berger adds that the Nuggets do have their “nuclear option.” They could tell Anthony they will not trade him to the Knicks under any circumstances, he has to agree to a sign and trade with the Nets or stay with the Nuggets. It’s risky for Denver — he could stay, opt out of his deal, become a free agent and sign with the Knicks next summer as a free agent (the scenario that frankly would be best for the Knicks). The Nuggets risk becoming the Cavaliers. But for Anthony to do so would be to give up tens of millions of dollars — we don’t know what a max contract will look like in a new CBA, but you can bet it will be lower than the current one. Less than the three years, $65 million extension on the table.

Does Anthony want to go to the Knicks bad enough to risk giving up tens of millions in guaranteed money? Will Dolan make sure the trade happens now for the Knicks? Will Anthony wake up Sunday morning and think the Nets don’t look so bad?

All of this and more are coming in the final episodes of the ‘Melodrama.

Rip is not included.

Twitter

Sources: #Knicks have made final offer for Melo: Chandler, Gallinari, Felton, Curry, first. No Fields, no Mozgov. It's up to Denver now.
Curry and his $11 million expiring contract would go to Minnesota along with Anthony Randolph as part of Melo deal, @CBSSports has learned
#Denver would send Melo, Chauncey Billups, Shelden Williams and Anthony Carter to New York, sources say. Denver gets first from Minn.

Kind of off topic, but kind of not.

Looks like Isiah was brought in to help with Anthony. Walsh must be counting the days till he can leave.

Would love to see Walsh screw over the Knicks, Dolan, and Thomas in the process of trading for Anthony, and then right after announcing the canard, leave from the Knicks himself.

Some more info on Isiahs influence on James Dolan:

Thomas’ influence grows within Knicks - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

The thin veil of secrecy has torn away now, the pretenses gone and Isiah Thomas has left the shadows and moved into the light again. Once more, he is the New York Knicks’ top basketball executive.

Thomas is driving everything through owner James Dolan – the trade for Carmelo Anthony(notes), the departure of Donnie Walsh and perhaps even the eventual hiring of the New York Knicks’ next president and general manager, multiple league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

“Isiah is calling the shots for New York,” said one front-office executive with knowledge of the Anthony trade talks. “It’s a disgrace. Donnie should walk.”

Whats the matter with Dolan?

Carmelo Anthony trade to New York Knicks appears imminent - The Denver Post

Carmelo Anthony trade to New York Knicks appears imminent

The Carmelo Anthony trade saga is nearly over.

Indications are that a trade is imminent with the New York Knicks, with only minor details to be worked out before an agreement is reached, a league source said.

Anthony was not at the Nuggets' practice tonight, as they resumed workouts following the All-Star break.

Names that have been mentioned in a possible Anthony trade include the Nuggets' Chauncey Billups, Shelden Williams and Anthony Carter.

Billups left the Nuggets practice facility Monday night after declining to speak to the media.

The Knicks, it has been rumored, could give up Raymond Felton, Danilo Gallinari, Wilson Chandler and Eddy Curry.

Anthony tweeted earlier in the day that he was "Headed to Burbank to film THE CONAN SHOW." But it was unclear when the segment was taped for tonight's airing.

Multiple outlets, including Yahoo Sports, reported Monday night that the deal was near complete.

The Associated Press on Monday reported that the Nets remain confident about acquiring Anthony, a person close to the trade talks said.

The report said the Nets remain "confident" they can acquire Anthony in a deal that would ship point guard Devin Harris, rookie Derrick Favors, two other players and four first-round draft picks to Denver.

If the deal falls through or Anthony is dealt to the Knicks instead, the Nets are prepared to pick up some of the pieces, the AP reported.

Rip is not included.

Twitter

Is that a good deal for Minny? Are they giving up their own first just to get salary relief?

Is that a good deal for Minny? Are they giving up their own first just to get salary relief?

They will get Randolph too. Also, its probably the Memphis pick. I don't know what trade, but somehow Minnesota owns the Grizzlies 1st rounder this year.

League sources also told Broussard that none of the teams can officially confirm the deal until Tuesday.

The swap is a three-way deal including Minnesota, a league source told Broussard.

As a part of the deal, Denver will get Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Danilo Gallinari, Timofey Mozgov, the Knicks' 2014 first-round draft pick, the Warriors' 2012 second-round pick, the Warriors' 2013 second-round pick and $3 million in cash while Chauncey Billups, Shelden Williams, Anthony Carter and Renaldo Balkman will head to New York, according to the Denver Post.

New York will send Anthony Randolph and Eddy Curry to Minnesota as part of the deal, according to the newspaper.

at the end of the day, the Knicks get the two best players in the deal. Good deal for the Knicks.

Defense? Who needs defense?

Here's a thought:

Carmelo is worse than LeBron for not only forcing a trade, but dragging this out much longer than LBJ ever did. How about that.

Good job by the Knicks becoming the 5th best team in the east. Which is exactly what they were before the trade, but hey.

Be interesting to see if he signs a max extension or not. If he does, forget about adding a 3rd star.

Also will be interesting to see what Billups does. I heard a rumor he might want a buyout so he can play with the Heat.

Here's a thought:

Carmelo is worse than LeBron for not only forcing a trade, but dragging this out much longer than LBJ ever did. How about that.

He didn't drag it out, Denver did. He also didn't force a trade.

He didn't drag it out, Denver did. He also didn't force a trade.

I think it was a little of both. Seriously, I am so sick of hearing about Anthony.

This is far worse than the LeBron "decision" and came within the regular season.

Now we have players saying where they want to play in 3 years --- wow, and they wonder why the league is dying.

I think it was a little of both. Seriously, I am so sick of hearing about Anthony.

This is far worse than the LeBron "decision" and came within the regular season.

Now we have players saying where they want to play in 3 years --- wow, and they wonder why the league is dying.

Yeah, and the main thing is that it wouldn't have ever been dragged out this long if Denver didn't get greedy.

It's been addressed either in this thread or in the NBA monthly threads, but Denver has been the biggest problem in getting a trade done, not Carmelo.

It's as simple as this, if you don't want players having any input in where they're going to play, don't include no-trade clauses in their contracts, or don't try and blackmail them against another team in trade by making them sign an extension upon being traded.

I'm glad he and Chauncey are going to join Stoudemire.

I've been starving for something to get excited about, in the NBA. I'm convinced the Pistons won't be relevant, for a long, long time...

Good, for the Knicks. Don't hate. Participate.

How is the league dying? The damn all-star game just drew the biggest ratings it's had in years. The economy is slow, the league isn't dying.

carmelo anthony asks for a trade to his hometown/favorite team and gets it, goes to one of the historical teams with a great fanbase, and the team he left gets a bunch of players and picks in the process.

Lebron holds his hometown team hostage, abandons it with nothing to play for a franchise no one gives a **** about, and does so in the most ludicrous egotastic fashion.

Yup. same thing. You guys are funny.

The trend towards players treating the NBA like a pickup game where they just decide to go play with their buddies in one of the 3 or 4 big media markets is not helping the NBA, in my opinon.

In a healthy league bad teams get high draft picks, develop young talent, and get better. That's the healthy cycle. The NBA needs to work towards that goal.

If not, then we're telling the other 25+ teams (and fans of those teams) that they are simply a minor league for the few elite teams. You get to go ahead and stink forever, keep drafting the stars, and then get sucked dry to start all over again. Where's the hope for the future in that type of system?

I really think that the NBA took the right path when it allowed the existing team to add another year to the contract. It was a step in the right direction, but it wasn't enough. They need something extreme to really tip the scales in favor of players staying with the teams that drafted them.

The trend towards players treating the NBA like a pickup game where they just decide to go play with their buddies in one of the 3 or 4 big media markets is not helping the NBA, in my opinon.

Guys played several years with a team, used their free agency rights or impending free agency rights to change teams. I do not see it as a problem. This was Carmelo's 8th year in Denver.

I wonder if we could have had Deron. Would you have given up say, Stuckey,Prince,Monroe and Maxiell(filler that I'd make them take) plus maybe a 2012 1st and say Dejuan Summers for Deron and Okur? Monroe and Favors should be similar in trade value at this point(Monroe would be drafted before him in a re-draft I believe) and Utah would probably rather have Stuckey than the older, more expensive Devin Harris. You also clear Okur's deal this way and also add a draft pick and a young player. I'd make it 2012 and 14 picks if it closed the deal.

I wonder if we could have had Deron. Would you have given up say, Stuckey,Prince,Monroe and Maxiell(filler that I'd make them take) plus maybe a 2012 1st and say Dejuan Summers for Deron and Okur? Monroe and Favors should be similar in trade value at this point(Monroe would be drafted before him in a re-draft I believe) and Utah would probably rather have Stuckey than the older, more expensive Devin Harris. You also clear Okur's deal this way and also add a draft pick and a young player. I'd make it 2012 and 14 picks if it closed the deal.

Uh, are you joking?