Deleterious

Nets try to involve Pistons in deal for Anthony

Nuggets Encouraging Expected Meeting Of Carmelo, Prokhorov - RealGM Wiretap

Nuggets Encouraging Expected Meeting Of Carmelo, Prokhorov

Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov is expected to finally meet face-to-face with Carmelo Anthony over All-Star Weekend, according to sources close to the situation.

Denver is encouraging the meeting because they prefer to trade Anthony to the Nets. The Nuggets would receive a package built around Derrick Favors should they complete a trade with the Nets. The offer for Anthony from the Knicks is considerably less attractive to the Nuggets' front office.

New Jersey is not prepared to make a deal for Anthony without an extension agreement in place.

Denver was the side to resume trade talks with the Nets after Prokhorov's public declaration of walking away from the negotiating table.

Via Marc Stein/ESPN

Report: If Melo agrees, Nets deal in place - CBSSports.com

Report: If Melo agrees, Nets deal in place

Report says a tentative Nets-Melo deal is in place, but as always, Melo still has to agree to extension which he has resisted for six months.

Posted by Matt Moore

At this point you're probably thinking I'm just digging up stories from six weeks ago and copying and pasting, maybe throwing some new names in. I can understand that. But nonetheless, I am contractually obligated to inform you that the Bergen Record is reporting that a tentative deal is in place for Carmelo Anthony to become a Net, pending Carmelo Anthony's agreement to the overly discussed extension. That piece of paper has become the most ballyhoed document outside of Congress.

The deal is the same Ken Berger reported on Thursday evening and we discussed Thursday afternoon, reported now by the Record, ESPN, and Yahoo!. It features the Nuggets getting Devin Harris, Derrick Favors, and Ben Uzoh, with a third team taking on Troy Murphy. No one's figured out a third team to take Muprhy, so either the deal isn't as tentatively "done" as the Record is reporting, or the teams are agreeing to a deal which assumes something they can't really count on. Again, no surprises there, considering how botched this process has been from the beginning.

So again, the ball is back in Melo's court.

Berger reported Thursday that no talks have been scheduled between Melo and Prokhorov nor with James Dolan. That could change between now and this morning (pacific)/afternoon (eastern) media availability for which we'll have full coverage.

For Prokhorov to take this meeting is in and of itself revealing of his attitudes as an owner. Apparently enough was not enough. Despite Masai Ujiri playing with the Nets for up to six weeks, agreeing to deals then backtracking and wanting more, the Russian mogul is about to get in bed again, only this time he's giving up the largest conglomerate of assets yet. It may be the best thing for his business, but you have to wonder how he'd feel about it were he to step back and realize how badly he's been jerked around so far, assuming these reports are accurate.

Anthony on the other hand, clearly isn't diving into this arrangement with open arms. He's having to be convinced to meet with the owner of a National Basketball Association team that's looking to build a championship around him in a major market. If he's convinced, it won't be his whole self that is convinced, it'll simply be an understanding that this is a compromise that features two of his goals: play in a bigger market, and get the extension before the CBA is renegotiated.

And what will be left to help him after the Nets trade away nearly a third of their team? Billups, Vujacic, Melo, Humphries and Lopez, with Morrow, Farmar, Outlaw, and Stephen Graham off the bench. GET EXCITED, NEW JERSEY. For the remaining year you have before the team bolts to Brooklyn.

This situation is as perplexing as ever, and should it fall through, Donnie Walsh may need oxygen because he'll be laughing so hard.

Yup, Nets will be pretty good if they pull it off. Pairing an elite scorer with Billups and Morrow, 2 dead eye shooters, plus a scoring C makes for a strong core. Humphries has been a stud rebounder this year and they have some depth in Farmar,James,Vujacic and some of the guys they got from Denver.

There's a great article floating around right now about Melo and how much better players are when they play with him. Some saber metrics type predicted the Knicks would be a 29 win team with Melo in place of Chandler and Fields and the article basically went on to debunk it. He has averaged 48 wins in a stronger conference with a similar supporting cast.

If there is a third team taking on Troy Murphy, does that mean the Pistons might still be involved?

Does anybody else think the Knicks are stupid for risking this and not agreeing to part with Gallinari and/or Fields? Maybe they are so sure that 'Melo won't sign an extension anywhere else they feel they can get away with it but I think it is a stupid risk. They should have closed a deal 2 weeks ago.

Dolan Met With Carmelo On Thursday; Knicks, Nuggets To Hold Conference Call On Friday - RealGM Wiretap

Dolan Met With Carmelo On Thursday; Knicks, Nuggets To Hold Conference Call On Friday

The Knicks and Nuggets are set for a high-level conference call concerning a potential trade for Carmelo Anthony.

In a surprise move, James Dolan already held a meeting with Anthony late Thursday in Los Angeles, beating Mikhail Prokhorov to the punch.

In the afternoon on Friday, Knicks front office members will get on the phone with Nuggets officials. Expected to be on the call are Dolan, Donnie Walsh, Stan Kroenke and Masai Uriji.

The Nuggets want three starters, including Raymond Felton, plus a number-one pick. Danilo Gallinari may be the hold-up to getting a deal done.

Anthony said he is unaware of a meeting with New Jersey and in all likelihood he is hoping that a deal can be agreed to between the Knicks and Nuggets before any meeting with the Nets is scheduled.

Via New York Daily News

...as for the notion of the Nets giving up 4 first-round draft picks, hey, that's not as bad as it sounds....

These days, the NBA Draft largely stinks after the first 3 picks, or so.

Looks like a deal with Gallinari may be on the table. If the Knicks do get 'Melo, the Eastern Conferences playoffs are going to have more drama than we have seen in quite some time. Boston, Miami, Chicago, Orlando, and NY are going to make for some great t.v. watching. If only the Pistons could be in the conversation... :cry:

If you're the Pistons, do you become the team that gives up a #1 pick to Denver (via the Knicks) for Randolph?

A year ago I probably would have tossed a 1st rounder out for Randolph. But he has proven this year to be pretty awful. As far as I know, he has not been injured this year. But he only has 35 total points on the season. When you are healthy and have a point total lower than the amount of games your team has played, its a problem.

Combine his poor play with the fact you have to decide on extending him or not in the next year or two, and I pass.

A year ago I probably would have tossed a 1st rounder out for Randolph. But he has proven this year to be pretty awful. As far as I know, he has not been injured this year. But he only has 35 total points on the season. When you are healthy and have a point total lower than the amount of games your team has played, its a problem.

Combine his poor play with the fact you have to decide on extending him or not in the next year or two, and I pass.

What if they take Rip too?

What if they take Rip too?

Definitely more tempting, but probably still no. The Pistons need a lot of young talent and the draft is about the only way to get it.

The players the Pistons should look at are Murphy and Curry, depending on where Anthony ends up. I guess Denver doesn't want either of those guys because it puts them over the luxury tax. I would try to include Rip like the original deal did. But if NY/NJ didn't want his contract, I think Prince could be substituted for him. We take Curry or Murphy plus a pick or two, Prince goes to NY/NJ and they let him expire.

Definitely more tempting, but probably still no. The Pistons need a lot of young talent and the draft is about the only way to get it.

The players the Pistons should look at are Murphy and Curry, depending on where Anthony ends up. I guess Denver doesn't want either of those guys because it puts them over the luxury tax. I would try to include Rip like the original deal did. But if NY/NJ didn't want his contract, I think Prince could be substituted for him. We take Curry or Murphy plus a pick or two, Prince goes to NY/NJ and they let him expire.

I don't think there's any chance Carmelo goes to New Jersey. He wants to play for the Knicks and no one wants to play for the Nets.

I don't think there's any chance Carmelo goes to New Jersey. He wants to play for the Knicks and no one wants to play for the Nets.

Thats fine. I was just covering both scenarios.

I'm wondering if Denver might be thinking of pairing Rip with Devin Harris as their backcourt for the next couple of years.... giving us Murphy and a first in exchange...

I'm wondering if Denver might be thinking of pairing Rip with Devin Harris as their backcourt for the next couple of years.... giving us Murphy and a first in exchange...

From what I have read, Denver doesn't want to add any salary so they can avoid the luxury tax this year. Thats why they will trade Murphy, even though he is an expiring deal. They will make NJ or NY take on Rips salary instead. Or whatever player from whatever team they end up sending Murphy to.

Am I wrong for thinking that the reason Rip was included in the trade the first time around was to appease Billups?

Does Ben Gordon or Charlie V hold any value at the deadline? I would love to unload either of those guys. Same for Stuckey. And I would not mind trading Daye if meant ridding ourselves of another bad contract. I am not that high on him anymore but another time might like him because of his youth, size, and potential.

Am I wrong for thinking that the reason Rip was included in the trade the first time around was to appease Billups?

i dont think so. billups wanted to be released from nets.

Prokhorov says nyet to meeting with ?Melo, Knicks in driver?s seat | ProBasketballTalk

Prokhorov says nyet to meeting with ‘Melo, Knicks in driver’s seat

Knicks fans may get what they want, what owner James Dolan has pushed hard for — Carmelo Anthony.

The latest reports seem to put the Knicks in the drivers seat for the ‘Melo sweepstakes.

First a quick word of advice: Take every part of this report with liberal helpings of salt. Because at this point — as the Melodrama reaches its climax — everybody is spinning. If not outright lying. Everything changes seemingly by the hour. The truth is more confused here than on the X-Files. And I’m not even sure it’s out there anymore.

Mikhail Prokhorov released a statement Saturday saying he has not met with Carmelo Anthony and has no plans to. At the Saturday media session, Anthony confirmed there were no plans, but according to a tweet from Chris Tomasson of FanHouse ‘Melo said he would have.

“I would have broke ground with him. I would have drunk some water with him. Took a shot of water with him.’’

We need to note that Prokhorov also said before the Nets were totally out of the Anthony negotiations, and now they are back in. Salt, we’re just saying take with salt.

If there is no meeting, the Knicks are in the drivers seat. New Jersey doesn’t want him without a signed extension and he’s not going to sign one without sitting down with the real power behind the Nets.

Anthony said he did speak with Nuggets President Josh Kronke, but said he was told there is no deal on the table yet. That of course is the formal offer, the negotiations of that deal are ongoing.

Parameters of the trade between the Knicks and Nuggets seem to be shifting, likely because of conflicting views in the Knicks organization as to what should be offered. But as Howard Beck pointed out at the New York Times today, owner Dolan is driving the Knicks ‘Melo bus now. The deal will be largely his.

That deal was to be Danilo Gallinari, Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Eddy Curry and his expiring contract, and a to-be-acquired first round pick for Anthony, Chauncey Billups and Sheldon Williams.

But NBA TV reported the Nuggets want Timofey Mozgov and Landry Fields instead of Gallinari. Which would allow the Knicks to keep the prospect with the highest upside) but also it would give them a funky lineup of three forwards).

Anthony was asked if he thought he could fit in with the Knicks. What do you think he was going to say? Tommason tweeted his response.

“If that was to happen, that’s a great system for me. That’s a great system he has.’’

Knicks fans have been counting on that. And they may well get their wish.

I don't get why Dolan has taken over for the Knicks. I thought Walsh was playing his hand perfectly. Just sit back and let the trade deadline panic Denver into giving you a sweetheart deal. Now the Knicks are giving up their entire team for a guy they probably could have got for much less.