Deleterious

Nets try to involve Pistons in deal for Anthony

It depends on Anthony more than Denver.

If he insists on Rip being involved, no pick is needed. If he just wants someone with Rips talent/contract, then they need to send a pick.

Since they both share the same agent, I imagine its #1. So the Pistons should be OK.

They should never give any type of #1 pick to complete this deal.

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Carmelo's Agent Pushing Bulls To Re-Engage Denver

Carmelo's Agent Pushing Bulls To Re-Engage Denver

As Carmelo Anthony becomes increasingly disgruntled with his agents' representation, William Wesley is pushing the Bulls to re-engage the Nuggets in trade discussions for the All-Star forward.

Anthony likes the idea of playing in Chicago next to Derrick Rose, but Denver is not interested in the long-term contract of Luol Deng and the Bulls are reluctant to part with Joakim Noah.

A trade that would send Anthony to New Jersey has two current hangups: The Nuggets want to send Renaldo Balkman to the Nets and take back Damion James, and Nets team officials do not know whether Anthony would ever agree to sign a contract extension with New Jersey.

Any trade with New Jersey would likely be subject to Anthony's long-term commitment to the Nets.

Monroe...

Monroe in '10

Jonas in '09

'08 draft doesn't really count since we only had the 29th pick and 59th pick

Stuckey and Afflalo in '07 (say what you will about Stuckey but the only players drafted after him who a person could argue is an equal/better player so far is Nick Young, Jared Dudley, Wilson Chandler, Aaron Brooks, and drafted after Afflalo is Marc Gasol). Both guys haven't/didn't work out too well here, but they were not bad draft picks by any means

'06 all we had was a 2nd round draft pick

'05 we had Maxiell and Amir Johnson. If you look at who was drafted after Maxiell in that draft no one jumps out outside of David Lee and Monta Ellis. Amir Johnson was a steal that late in the draft also.

So I understand Dumars has not hit a home run in the draft (really since he drafted Tayshaun) but he has also not been as bad as some people want to portray him to be. The Darko blunder is obvious, we all know that really hurt our future but other than that we generally had late draft to mid round draft picks and he found some decent role players and guys who have had some success in the league.

The Pistons don't have to give up any picks here, unless they have better coming back. Denver isn't in any position to push Detroit, if this deal falls through they lose their leverage, and they will get nothing or a much lesser deal from NY, no other team then NJ would go through all of this.

We dont' have any leverage. They don't need us to complete the deal in the end. Rip is a bonus piece for Melo to play with, but not the end all be all. We need to dump Rip more than they need to get him in NJ. I didn't say we HAVE to give a pick, I said we shoudl if that's what it takes, because dumping Rip and potentially being able to sign a Zach Randolph or Nene type is more valuable than some 1st rounder in a few years. Even if we don't sign anyone, just having Rip out of Ben's way, out of Kuester's way and out of the way of our rebuilding process is worth quite a bit, plus the saved money for the new owner.

Monroe in '10

Jonas in '09

'08 draft doesn't really count since we only had the 29th pick and 59th pick

Stuckey and Afflalo in '07 (say what you will about Stuckey but the only players drafted after him who a person could argue is an equal/better player so far is Nick Young, Jared Dudley, Wilson Chandler, Aaron Brooks, and drafted after Afflalo is Marc Gasol). Both guys haven't/didn't work out too well here, but they were not bad draft picks by any means

'06 all we had was a 2nd round draft pick

'05 we had Maxiell and Amir Johnson. If you look at who was drafted after Maxiell in that draft no one jumps out outside of David Lee and Monta Ellis. Amir Johnson was a steal that late in the draft also.

So I understand Dumars has not hit a home run in the draft (really since he drafted Tayshaun) but he has also not been as bad as some people want to portray him to be. The Darko blunder is obvious, we all know that really hurt our future but other than that we generally had late draft to mid round draft picks and he found some decent role players and guys who have had some success in the league.

Yah, Dumars hasn't been all that bad drafting, he just busted on his 3 big lottery picks early in his career. Since he has taken a lot of players who can start in this league or at least be in a quality rotation and most importantly, defend. Stuckey is a quality player(not the franchise PG we hoped for, but I can't punish him for not finding that at 15, it's not like one went behind us),Afflalo,Amir,Daye,Jerebko,Monroe. Prince,Maxiell,Delfino(really nice player now) and even Darko(good 20-25 minute C in this league, possibly league's best shot blocker)are also quality NBA players(Maxiell more capable than quality actually). We'll have to see how Daye,Monroe and even Stuckey work out. Summers or White could end up being a steal too. Another strong pick next year and Dumars will have done a lot of work to redeem himself since Darko.

Nets Owner Mikhail Prokhorov Informs Management To Walk Away From Carmelo Deal

Nets Owner Mikhail Prokhorov Informs Management To Walk Away From Carmelo Deal

Mikhail Prokhorov told reporters he is instructing the Nets' management to walk away from the Carmelo Anthony deal, The Record's Al Iannazzone reports.

He said it's taken too much time and is weighing on the team, so he's out. Yes, that's his final decision.

It's another surprising turn of events in the season-long 'Melo-drama. But it's probably just more posturing in the continued negotiation-through-the-media tactic the Nuggets and Nets seem to be employing.

Regardless, this is certainly the right move for the Nets. The Nuggets have absolutely no leverage, as they stand to lose their best player for nothing if they can't complete a trade by the February 24 deadline.

Yah, Dumars hasn't been all that bad drafting, he just busted on his 3 big lottery picks early in his career. Since he has taken a lot of players who can start in this league or at least be in a quality rotation and most importantly, defend. Stuckey is a quality player(not the franchise PG we hoped for, but I can't punish him for not finding that at 15, it's not like one went behind us),Afflalo,Amir,Daye,Jerebko,Monroe. Prince,Maxiell,Delfino(really nice player now) and even Darko(good 20-25 minute C in this league, possibly league's best shot blocker)are also quality NBA players(Maxiell more capable than quality actually). We'll have to see how Daye,Monroe and even Stuckey work out. Summers or White could end up being a steal too. Another strong pick next year and Dumars will have done a lot of work to redeem himself since Darko.

Why does he have to redeem himself if Darko is possibly the best shot blocker in the league?

The Rip Hamilton situation just became awkward.

Extremely awkward. I like what Prokhorov is doing, he is sick of Melo ****ing with his team.

Let Melo go play for the knicks, lots of scoring, lots of losing in the playoffs. Cant win a championship without any defense.

The Rip Hamilton situation just became awkward.

I'm not a big believer in Joe D these days - as you can tell from my sig below - but I have to believe that all signs point to him having a deal in his back pocket in case the Mello deal blows up.

I'm not a big believer in Joe D these days - as you can tell from my sig below - but I have to believe that all signs point to him having a deal in his back pocket in case the Mello deal blows up

I Thought the same thing when they signed Ben Gordon

I'm not a big believer in Joe D these days - as you can tell from my sig below - but I have to believe that all signs point to him having a deal in his back pocket in case the Mello deal blows up.

Hopefully it includes Prince too.

From what I have read and heard, Chicago could be interested in trading for Anthony.

Why does he have to redeem himself if Darko is possibly the best shot blocker in the league?

He took Darko over superstars, that was a bad pick. I just threw him in because he was a Dumars draftee an is a decent player. Decent doesn't cut it for a #2 pick. He's a very good shotblocker, but not any sort of a complete player at this point.

I think Indy is a team that Rip would look very good on. He'd fit very well between Collison, a pass first PG and Granger, an elite scorer and shooter. He'd give them a veteran presence too. They have expiring deals and its not like they are going to get a big free agent better than Rip.

One or both of Rip and Prince to Dallas makes sense too. Would you guys consider taking Haywood and his rather large deal? Overrated, but a pretty good defensive C who would give us the beef we lack in the middle. Butler,Haywood and a 1st?

I think Indy is a team that Rip would look very good on. He'd fit very well between Collison, a pass first PG and Granger, an elite scorer and shooter. He'd give them a veteran presence too. They have expiring deals and its not like they are going to get a big free agent better than Rip.

One or both of Rip and Prince to Dallas makes sense too. Would you guys consider taking Haywood and his rather large deal? Overrated, but a pretty good defensive C who would give us the beef we lack in the middle. Butler,Haywood and a 1st?

Haywood is on a terrible contract. No way. 6/$52 is insane for him. Although I think the last year is not guaranteed. But he is also 32 years old.

Twitter / Al Iannazzone: On a side note, King said ...

On a side note, King said Troy Murphy has asked for a trade and has been told to stay home until Nets can make one. He's not going to DET.

Twitter / MD: I just heard from Joe Duma ...

I just heard from Joe Dumars..he talked to the #Nets. They told him the Melo deal was off. He asked "was that it"? Nets said "Yes-Done".

What if your wife told you "You know, I can't STAND you; and I don't want you to touch me - but let's still sleep in the same bed"...?

Wouldn't that seem just a bit weird?....reality is creeping in - and it's telling me Rip may still be here, after the trade deadline.

Haywood is on a terrible contract. No way. 6/$52 is insane for him. Although I think the last year is not guaranteed. But he is also 32 years old.

Yah, I mentioned that, its not like I'm not aware. However, you have to overpay to get a C who can defend and we'd be trading another bad deal for him. It'd basically be an extra 2/15 on top of Rip's deal. You need a big guy like Haywood to compliment Monroe. You can start Monroe/Haywood and bring Charlie V and Ben or a similar type backup C off the bench with Monroe taking most of the backup C minutes.

Yah, I mentioned that, its not like I'm not aware. However, you have to overpay to get a C who can defend and we'd be trading another bad deal for him. It'd basically be an extra 2/15 on top of Rip's deal. You need a big guy like Haywood to compliment Monroe. You can start Monroe/Haywood and bring Charlie V and Ben or a similar type backup C off the bench with Monroe taking most of the backup C minutes.

If Haywood could defend half as good as people say he can, Dallas wouldn't be trading him.

Also, Monroe is the C. They need a PF not another C.

If Haywood could defend half as good as people say he can, Dallas wouldn't be trading him.

Also, Monroe is the C. They need a PF not another C.

I would not get caught up on the position of Monroe. They just need an athletic shot blocker to complement him and then you play the match ups depending on the opponent.

I would not get caught up on the position of Monroe. They just need an athletic shot blocker to complement him and then you play the match ups depending on the opponent.

No, we absolutely need to get caught up on his position. Not defining players positions is what got us into this mess in the first place.

No, we absolutely need to get caught up on his position. Not defining players positions is what got us into this mess in the first place.

Are you referring to Stuckey/Rip/Gordon?

Monroe can play the 4 or 5. I don't see how it relates to the aforementioned players, who are less capable of multiple positions.

Are you referring to Stuckey/Rip/Gordon?

Monroe can play the 4 or 5. I don't see how it relates to the aforementioned players.

Joe has been acquiring people with skills that don't match the positions they play.

Stuckey is a great example. Daye is another great one. Both playing out of position for the Pistons and being asked to do things they could never do. CV is another to an extent. His size says he plays PF, but none of his skills say that.

Monroe is a C. Actually, he isn't strong enough to defend either position. But he isn't athletic enough to guard the PF spot. That isn't such a problem at C.